Create Account

Trade Tree: Two NEW Stars and Four NEW Cups
(This post was last modified: 03-06-2019, 06:29 PM by Beaver.)

Code:
2138 words, please give luketd 20% for making this way easier and faster thanks to his trade histories

Hi.

Still poor and still find stuff like this - league history in general and trade trees in particular - interesting so since @luketd has been such a babe in putting together the Trade Histories spreadsheet I figured I'd pump out another one of these. Out of pure coincidence I'm looking at another trade involving Los Angeles... again from the view of the other team. This trade came right after the main thrust of the previous trade tree I looked at, which was the Blizzard run from S13 to S16, as this trade occurred in the offseason between Season 17 and 18 - just days after the Season 18 draft. The Los Angeles Panthers were coming off a championship and looking to keep their run going and New England was coming off 3 consecutive 1st round exits in the postseason and looking for a rebuild by trading star players. This one isn't nearly as crazy nor dramatic as the Edmonton tree I did but still interesting I think.

Quote:To Wolfpack
Panthers S19 1st
Panthers S20 1st
Panthers S21 1st

To Panthers
Chuck Winnfield

Link to Trade

In a good indication that the trade is one to take a look at, there are quite a few comments on the thread about how it's an overpayment, about how Winnfield was easily worth 3 late 1st, and about how crazy the offseason was. The very same day, @fever95 traded Alexey Kovalenko and Erik Lehner for Draco Malfoy, two 1sts, and two 2nds which also has great trade tree potential. Kovalenko was eventually traded back to New England where... well we'll get into that in a minute. But anyway, who did those picks in our trade turn into? New England selected Martins Daugavins in Season 19 and Nathan Russell in Season 20 and the Season 21 1st rounder bounced around quite a bit. New England traded it to Manhattan for Phil Schenn who then flipped it to Seattle as part of this trade for Daniel Merica. Eventually Seattle selected Sean Leonidas with the selection.

So far so good. New England got a future GM, 4-time champion, and 2-time Jeff Dar winner with Nathan Russell so that part of the trade worked out pretty well for the team I'd say, however that branch ends there which is lame for our purposes.

4 months after the original trade, the Wolfpack dealt the S21 1st for Phil Schenn and about 5 months after that sent Martins Daugavins to West Kendall as part of a package for Brandon Cant. So far nothing too exciting, New England's net haul at this point is:

Received: Nathan Russell, Phil Schenn, Brandon Cant
Traded: Chuck Winnfield, LAP S21 1st (Sean Leonidas), NEW S20 5th (Carl Sledgehammer), Sam Samsinov, Martins Daugavins, and NEW S25 2nd (unclear)

While from the perspective of the trade tree this has been incredibly boring so far, those three pieces they received - Russell, Schenn, and Cant - were part of the Season 23 Wolfpack squad that won the first championship in the franchise's history. Again, this is before my time but from what I understand the early seasons of the franchise were pretty tumultuous with relocations, a revolving door of GMs, and such so when they went all-in in Season 23 with a bunch of retiring players to come back from 2-0 down against the Blizzard in that S23 final was a sort of watershed moment for the team. Cant had an assist on the Championship-clinching goal, Schenn scored a goal and had two assists, and Russell scored the final Wolfpack goal in Game 1 - a narrow overtime loss - so while these players perhaps weren't the biggest driving force behind the Wolfpack winning that series (shout-out to one of the many McZehrls as Game 6's 1st star, Blake Sherrill, the aforementioned Kovalenko's Game 4 hat trick, and offensive dynamo Dean Colt) they were certainly contributors.

At some point during that general timeframe, @prettyburn takes over as New England's GM and trades Phil Schenn's rights to Toronto, along with Willie Weber, in exchange for LA's S24 1st, Minnesota's S24 3rd, Manhattan's S25 2nd, and Edmonton's S25 3rd. Quite a trade and nearly the trade I chose to start off this post. Those selections turned into Buster "Buzz" Killington, Hoyt Harper, and Jack Durden while the Edmonton 3rd was traded as part of a trade to acquire Portland's S25 1st, where Lord Pretty Flacko was selected. The trade ended up involving a bunch of picks that wound up selecting some all-time SHL greats, but none of which are really associated with New England (at least not to me).

Hoyt Harper appears to have been released by New England and signed as an inactive by Minnesota following the S26 draft where they played through Season 33 before being auto-retired after Season 34.

That was followed up the next month with a trade that saw Brandon Cant head to Minnesota in a sign-and-trade that brought back Evgeny Semin, Minnesota's S26 1st, and Minnesota's S28 1st. Now we're cooking. In very uncharacteristic fashion, this trade seemed to be judged as fair by all to my eternal disappointment. The Wolfpack would not keep either of the draft picks long enough to pick a player with them as the S26 1st was sent to Texas in exchange for Minnesota's S25 1st - paying a 4th rounder that ended up being a Pass to move the pick up 1 draft and select Zack Hoover - and the S28 1st was sent to Hamilton in a pretty interesting trade that saw Bubba Nuck go to New England, Dean Colt go to Hamilton, and a swap of 1st round picks. New England grabbed Riley McDonald with their new 1st.

Semin walked in S25 free agency and signed with Buffalo to end that branch.
Zack Hoover retired just before the S27 draft, then unretired and signed an extension before retiring the day after the S29 draft and missing the championship run starting in S30 by a single season.
Riley McDonald retired during S29 and also apparently missed the championship run starting in S30 by a single season.

Before either of those trades, though, we need to backpedal a bit to cover the Lord Pretty Flacko trade a bit more. It wasn't just the Edmonton 3rd that was traded for the pick that became Flacko, Buzz Killington and a 4th round Pass also went the other way which united two parts of the Phil Schenn branch in a single asset. The Season 25 draft was a big one for New England as they selected Jasper Clayton, Lord Pretty Flacko, Zack Hoover, Chris Welch, Jack Durden, Roman Morenov, and William Hendrickson with their seven (!) picks in the first two rounds.

So here's where we stand at the end of 2015,
[Image: 41jVjrg.png]

In February, the tree got another shake-up as Lord Pretty Flacko and Jack Durden were traded to Winnipeg for Mitchell Dambach and Winnipeg's S28 1st. Very juicy trade as the Jets acquire two pending free agents and the Wolfpack get yet another 1st round pick which they used to draft a prospect by the name of Mia Landvik. You may have heard of her.

It's unclear what happened to Mitchell Dambach but S29 was the last season they were under contract, again a player in this tree missed the championship run starting in S30 by a single season.

In April, Bubba Nuck's rights were swapped for Seattle for the Riot's S30 and S31 first round picks. S30 was a pass but S31 became Ryan Vas in one of the deepest drafts in SHL history. Amazingly, as we go into Season 30 in which we see the first Wolfpack championship since Season 23 which doubles as the first of their three in four years, not a single player so far involved in this trade besides Nathan Russell and Mia Landvik is included in the Season 30, Season 31, or Season 33 championship rosters.  

The next trade that's relevant to us comes the following year, in January 2017. That's not to say that New England wasn't active on the trade front, simply that they were making moves that somehow didn't involve any assets in this tree - they were certainly active. The picks in that trade, in no particular order, ended up being Jason Aittokallio, Ekaterina Rudnikova, Brett Kennedy, Harper Wright, Ryan Richter, and Matthew Leetch. The Manhattan S33 1st was traded for the picks that became Xander Green, Aleksandr Aleksandrov, Cloud McCarthy, and a S37 2nd that eventually became Alex Andani. A trade that's worth it's own tree but not one, unfortunately, that is intertwined with ours.

Anyway, in January right after the Wolfpack won their second championship in a row, Ryan Vas was traded for Edmonton's S37 2nd. Now I'm not sure where that 2nd round pick went from there, because next I see it was traded from Edmonton to New England (again) during the S36 draft in exchange for the 39th overall pick in that draft and then traded back to Edmonton (again??) in the Fedor Shirobokov trade. So it went: EDM -> NEW -> ??? -> EDM -> NEW -> ??? -> MIN -> EDM. Eventually, mercifully, Edmonton selected the best Tanner with that pick, Barbie. Unfortunately I have no idea what New England got in return for that pick either time they apparently traded it.

I believe the S36 draft trade was a mistake, because in the actual trade post it says that New England receives the S37 pick "they didn't already trade to someone else." This seems to be referring to this trade where Edmonton traded a conditional S37 2nd to Minnesota. The Edmonton 2nd ended up being higher than the Texas 2nd so Minnesota received that one and then, presumably, traded it back to Edmonton in the Shirobokov trade. That makes it EDM -> NEW -> ??? -> EDM -> MIN -> EDM which is kind of better but not really. The best explanation is that someone forgot that New England received a pick for a draft 8 months in the future or the pick tracker wasn't updated or whatever and it just defaulted back to Edmonton, making Ryan Vas another dead end.

If true, that ends the trade tree.

[Image: m3fahSA.png]

Nathan Russell, of course, played through Season 35 and Mia Landvik through Season 45. This season, Season 46, is the first season that New England has not been captained or GMed by either of those players since Season 21. So while ultimately this isn't as wild of a trade tree as the Edmonton one, it's the one that resulted in two of the biggest franchise legends to ever play for the Wolfpack and one that touched a bunch of SHL legends outside of New England.

As always, if there's anything above that's incorrect let me know and I'll fix it. And if you're an old-timer that has a suggestion for a trade I'm all ears. I need to make up quite a bit more money this season so I'll be knocking out more soon. I think doing something related to Toronto's first ever championship could be interesting. Unfortunately it looks like Toronto retained most of its players so the trees don't look too interesting:
This trade that saw Toronto acquire the picks that became Cynthia Taylor and Adam Falk. Falk in turn became Damien Wert and Olli Ojala. Wert's branch continues for a bit but that's about it here.
My early favorite was this trade that saw Toronto acquire the picks that became Chris York, Zander Rhys, and Jack Dodds as well as a pick that was traded to Manhattan for Zallerras Szlerchek in a deal with Portland, who they'd beat for their first ever championship. However, none of those players were traded for any further assets and none of the players or picks given up for them were part of previous trades so it isn't much of a tree so much as an interesting solitary trade.

So maybe this trade instead? Texas picked Liam Kinsler with that S19 1st round pick and traded the S21 3rd for Maxim Horvat. Johansson became a 3rd that became another 3rd that became a 1st where Texas picked Vladimir Lidstrom. There are a couple other pieces involved, too, so this one might have some potential.

The other side of the Horvat trade is also interesting. Winnipeg received Zanis Zarins who became Johnny Cahill who was involved in another trade that was recently highlighted in the media section. The 2nd round pick Winnipeg got in that trade also became another 2nd that became another 2nd that became Marc-Andre Malkin who was involved in a package for Connor O'Reilly who became a 2nd which was either traded for Maurizio Arrivabene or Max Weber, it's unclear.

Anyway, I'm not sold on any of those so I'd appreciate a heads up for potentially interesting trades. Lots of moving pieces, big names, and drama are ideal. Especially if the team went on to have a dominant stretch or broke a long title drought thanks to the players involved.

Jack Tanner (D) - [Player Page] [Player Updates]

[Image: mH3z832.png]

[Image: Beaver.gif]
One sig is tweed's and the other was a karlssens/Copenhagen collab

AC | Bank | Claims

Yeah when I was doing the trade histories, what surprised me was that Portland helped 2 teams get their core. As always great work beaver.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Ilike

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

03-06-2019, 06:09 PMluketd Wrote: Yeah when I was doing the trade histories, what surprised me was that Portland helped 2 teams get their core. As always great work beaver.
That surprised you?

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

03-06-2019, 11:28 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
03-06-2019, 06:09 PMluketd Wrote: Yeah when I was doing the trade histories, what surprised me was that Portland helped 2 teams get their core. As always great work beaver.
That surprised you?

I would have assumed more.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

Dambach completely vanished. He even requested that the mods ban his name from being written on the site - and the mods obliged. It was pretty funny tbh

03-07-2019, 07:35 AMGCool Wrote: Dambach completely vanished. He even requested that the mods ban his name from being written on the site - and the mods obliged. It was pretty funny tbh

Yeah, that was a weird thing that happened. He was already inactive when that trade happened, came back and I think trained a few times, and then retired / asked to have his name removed. Was a good inactive piece to finish out that season, which was all I was looking for at the time.

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

Oh, and great write up, @Beaver !

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

Excellent write up, these articles are super interesting and nice to see something unique. Love it!

Also, screw everyone who said that was an overpayment for me Wink

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

good times

[Image: SigStorm.png]
[Image: QHLWtic.png?1]
san francisco group of cats - mikael koskinen
quebec city citadelz  - mikael koskinen