Create Account

S46 SMJHL PT 4 - MVP

PBE PT

[Image: bclD7fn.png]

Borromini Cannellini (VAN F) - Leading the league at 44 points in 42 games, it is hard to pass him up for the MVP consideration while he is maintaining over a point per game pace. With his second year in the league, his maturity has really started to shine in the SMJHL and he is certainly Vancouver's best asset this season. If Borromini can continue this persumably sustainable pace, then it would be to no ones surprise to see him crowned the MVP of this season.

Raino Kyllonen (DET F) - With a young Detroit team that had some early season struggles, Raino kept his stride by pulling his weight (and probably some others) through this season to tally up 14 goals and 21 assists (35 points) in 42 games. On top of that, he even showed a grittyness to his game as he has racked up 30 PIMs with 2 majors, something we don't see very often out of top talent snipers. His well rounded play along with his peripherals puts him on my list for potential MVP of the league.

Guy Zheng (KEL D) - Zheng has had an impressive season from the blueline over in Kelona, racking up 34 points (6g, 28A) in 42 games. More impressively than that is his respectable 11 +/- over the season which shows that while he is on the ice, the puck typically ends up in the net. Furthermore, his 21.84 min per game is towards the top end of all blue liners in the league which leads us to believe that the coaches over in Kelona lean heavily on him and his play. If someone is carrying that much weight, it seems to be a shoe in for MVP candidacy if you ask me.

[Image: PvZbGlD.png]
[Image: FszcRvP.png]
Thanks @"AndrewWarren13" for the sig

Whalers Borromini Cannellini
My number one vote for league MVP can’t possibly be anyone else but Vancouver’s captain Borromini Cannellini. He’s the only player in the league that sits over 1 P/20 (1.01 to be precise), leads the entire league in shots and points while he’s still in the top 10 in goals and assists. His +/- sits at +27 and no other player in the entire league comes even close except for line-mate Petr Mikulak.
This leads me to my three alternative choices if for some reason it’s not going to be Cannellini.

Whalers Petr Mikulak
Petr Mikulak is both fortunate and unfortunate to play on the same team as Cannellini. He’s second in many categories just behind the captain and would easily lead those on a weaker team. They alternate game by game who leads the team in goals – at the moment of writing Cannellini is ahead (Mikulak has the higher scoring percentage though). Other than that Mikulk has a very good +22 and is tied in PP points with Andy Kerr (both have 10). He and Cannellini were the first two players in the league to get 40 (or more) points.

Raptors Parker Smeb
Another interesting, but probably odd choice would be Parker Smeb (Colorado). He currently has 17 goals (roughly every fourth of them came on the PP) and 17 assists and leads the entire league in GWG (6). In points he’s second on the team behind Knute Knurtsson, but the season isn’t over yet - so watch out. He’s also top 10 in the league in goals. What makes him more valuable than Knurtsson is that Knurtsson plays roughly 20 minutes per game and Smeb averages way under 16 minutes (he leads the team in PP minutes though). This puts Smeb at an impressive 0.97 P/20 and that’s very close to Cannellini’s numbers and 2nd best in the league. Not to mention he’s be either the first, second or third star 10 times this season for his team already.

Knights Dick Clapper
Last, but not least there is Dick Clapper (Kelowna) who currently second his team in points behind Bobby Sharp while playing fewer minutes. However, he’s tied in first place in goals and leads in shots. He’s also sits in the league top 10 in those two categories. His P/20 comes close to Cannellini’s with 0.93. Clapper is a very effective weapon on the PP and has a total of 14 PPP. However, there are a few other players on his team that are close to him in numbers, so on any other team he would play a more valuable role – just like Smeb he’s doing very well without leading his team in minutes. If he didn’t have D-men Guy Zheng on his team, who’s also doing extremely well and gets my honorary mention, this would be an easier choice.

The season isn't over yet and numbers change after every game, but my final vote is still Borromini Cannellini.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Outlaws  - Matthias Seger: He is second on the 3rd place Anaheim Outlaws in points as a Defense man. He has 5G, 29A, for a total of 34 points, leading the league in Assists. This would be impressive by itself, but he is also a leader in the locker room and an assistant captain for them as well. He is always looking to move the puck up and encourage his teammates. Seger, should be the MVP or at least in the talks for it. He also has my vote for Defensive player of the year, but I'm biased as he has been a big help to me early in my SHL career.

Whalers - Borromini Cannelini: He leads the league in Points, +/-, Shots, Points P/20, and is 4th in goals. If he isn't a top 2-3 for MVP candidate it's because he is on an underachieving Vancouver Whaler team. Even with that, he is far and away one of the best players in the SMJHL this year. Just over a goal per game player and a threat anytime he is on the ice, is responsible defensively, and can move is strong enough to carry the puck through defenders, the Whalers are lucky to have this guy.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

Borromini Cannellini - C -  Whalers

Cannellini has been on a point per game pace all season has doesn't seem like he's going to slow down. He currently leads the league in points with 46, leads the league in plus/minus with a +27, leads the league in shots at 165, and is tied for the league lead in goals with 19. What really stands out about Cannellini is that 83% of his points have come from 5 on 5 play. Cannellini along with his linemates (for most of the season) Petr Mikulak and Cullen Gray, have dominated their opposition at even strength on a bottom half Vancouver Whalers team.

Petr Mikulak - RW -  Whalers

Along with Cannellini, Mikulak has put up 2nd in the league numbers for the bottom half Vancouver Whalers. Mikulak is shooting at an above average 14.06% on 128 shots for 18 goals on the year. Mikulak is also second in the league in plus/minus at a +22, just behind Cannellini. Mikulak's stats are all just a tick behind Cannellini's in almost every category, if this weren't the case, Mikulak would have a much more viable case for the MVP. He's putting up MVP type numbers, but Cannellini has that step on him in almost every way.

Guy Zheng - D -  Knights

The league leading Kelowna Knights have the league leading defenseman in points in Guy Zheng. Zheng is tied with Mathias Seger of Anaheim for most assists in the league, but Zheng is boasting a +14 on the season. A +14 on the season from the blueline is a good indication that Zheng is excellent in the defensive and offensive zone, and that he is not just a one-dimensional player. 

MVP: Borromini Cannellini         Runner-up: Guy Zheng          Third Place: Petr Mikulak

[Image: dmills3.gif]
[Image: 6by0kBi.png] || [Image: ohmEd0h.png]

CanadaWhalersSteelhawks

I am going to go out on a limb and give some major props to my own goaltender Patrice Nadeau. The Lions are my team, and they aren't doing all that well when it comes to the production of our stars. We have Monkey D. Luffy who has 34 points in 44 games, which isn't even a point per game pace. And that isn't very good. But despite our top scorer not doing all that well, we are 5th in the entire league. Now that may not be that impressive, but think about it. Our goaltender has been doing pretty darn well for himself, winning 21 of the 35 games so far this season, not to mention he is leading the league in save percentage with a .911 save percentage. So with that he is the best goaltender in the league, the best person on our team, and likely the most instrumental in the team's success so far. I mean, who else are you going to pick? It would seem a little lame and predictable if you just put up the highest scorer as the MVP, right? Not to mention Vancouver has two players in the 1 and 2 spots of the scoring leaders, so would you not think they are getting points because they are playing with each other. If you ask me it is a pretty easy decision to make.

Borromini Cannellini  Whalers - The obvious choice here, Cannellini is the only player in the league averaging over a point per game. With 46 points on 19 goals and 27 assists, Cannellini finds himself with the league lead in both points and goals. Cannellini is a league-leading +27 as well. Cannellini has been a volume scorer, leading the league in shots taken, too. If Vancouver were having more team success this year (currently 6th), he'd be a runaway guarantee to win MVP. As is, he's probably a safe bet. An honorable mention goes to Petr Mikulak, Cannellini's less-discussed linemate who comes in just behind BC in most categories. 

Bobby Sharp  Knights - Bobby represents Kelowna, currently first in the season standings. While Dick Clapper and Guy Zheng have made significant contributions as well to the league-leading Knights, Sharp leads the team in points with 37 (15 goals and 22 assists) and plus/minus at +15. 

Nicolas Fleming  Scarecrows - Fleming finds himself on the list also partially due to team success, with St Louis second in the standings and Fleming leading the charge. Fleming has 19 goals and 18 assists with a +11.

Hiro Fujikawa  Outlaws - Fuji is tied with Fleming with 19 goals and 18 assists, but Anaheim is behind St Louis in the standings and his +1 is less impressive than Fleming's +11.

Leopold Lockhart  Armada - Anchorage, sitting in the middle of the pack, owes much of their successes to their captain Lockhart, who leads the league in power play points by a decent margin with 20. Lockhart has added 13 even-strength points as well, totaling 33 points on 8 goals and 25 assists.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

There are a number of great players in the SMJHL this season that are finding a lot of success. It should be a tight race for this season's Most Valuable Player, and I believe these two players are a couple of the most deserving of the title.

Whalers Borromini Cannellini
Vancouver's first line center is scoring with regularity this season, averaging slightly over a point per game. With a total of 19 goals and 27 assists so far, Cannellini has tallied 46 points in 44 games played. The only player in the league to average a least a point per game, Cannellini's 46 points are enough for first place in league point scoring. While the Whalers are currently only sitting in 6th place in the standings, Cannellini's production alone could be enough to launch them on a deep playoff run. 

Scarecrows Nicolas Fleming
The St. Louis Scarecrows are currently placed second in the league standings, four points back from the leaders. A large part of this success is the offensive production of their first line right winger, Nicolas Fleming. Fleming has netted 19 goals and recorded 18 assists for a total of 37 points; enough to lead the Scarecrows in scoring and enough for third place in league scoring. His 19 goals are tied with three other players as the most goals scored this season.

My Top 3:

Outlaws - Matthias Seger (Segi): You definitely have to give a huge nod for the Outlaws' success this season to their #1 defenseman and a guy who has emerged as one of the best defensemen in the entire league. Chiefs got themselves a real player here. He's been at the top of the D scoring leaderboard for the vast majority of the season and has been leading by example on and off the ice. On a team devoid of a ton of offensive heat, Seger has brought it and then some.

Whalers Borromini Cannelini: Cannelini has been another dominant scoring force in the league this season but this time as a forward. It's hard to overlook his prowess with the puck and it makes you think of the way Kucherov is absolutely man handling the NHL this year. He's been the captain of his team, a leader on and off the ice and if that doesn't scream MVP material I don't know what does. That being said, unlike Seger Cannelini is playing on a very talented Whalers line and that may have to be taken into account. Is he the MVP if Whalers have multiple guys all producing highly? He's MVP for his team, but MVP of the entire league? It'll be interesting to see how this one draws out.

Scarecrows - Nicholas Fleming: The guy can bury the puck. What's the hardest thing about hockey? The showers. What's the second hardest thing about hockey? Putting the puck in the back of the net and Fleming has mastered the art this year. He's generated chances by putting a ton of shots on goal and has definitely been the Scarecrows' MVP this season. Has he done enough to be the entire league's MVP? We'll see but he's definitely had a solid enough showing that he deserves to be in the conversation.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

In my opinion it’s a two way race between Borromini Cannellini and Guy Zheng. Borromini is the only player at the moment to average a point per game. He is clearly a prime factor for Vancouver’s attempt at remaining dominant this season. While in  7th place, Vancouver possesses the top two players in points out of the whole league, which clearly means this team wins by his hand, or loses as they lack defensive structure.

Guy Zheng is second on this list as he leads defencemen in points this year. Now it’s one thing for a forward to average about a point per game, but to have someone who plays shutdown defense be arguably just as active offensively is rare to find. He also in the race for top plus minus rating in the SMJHL. While he is only 7th in the league, a +17 rating is fantastic for any defender and it shows his line knows how to handle the spotlight this league creates.

If it were up to me, I’d personally have to side with Guy on the vote. While Borromini is having a great season, Guy plays a 200ft game and controls everything on the ice besides the goaltending. Borromini has failed in leading Vancouver and how can someone who can’t lead to be considered the MVP of the league.

** Shout out to these 4 talented players who have helped their team tremendously **

Patrice Nadeau: If there’s anyone who deserves this trophy it should be him! 5 shutouts, 0.911 Save Percentage, Goals Against Average of 2.24, he is the best goalie in the league and the most valuable player in my opinion. I feel like he is over looked for the MVP due to the ton of offence talent this year. He’s been a huge part of the Lions success and will continue to be into the playoffs! Who says a goalie can’t be MVP???!!!

Borromini Cannellini: He has led the way for Vancouver with 22 goals, 29 assist for the most points in the league at 51! What I think is so valuable about is game is that he can snipe goals but also be a unreal playmaker as well. Teams fear playing Vancouver because of his ability to make things happen offensively. He is an absolute superstar who deserves to be rewarded for his amazing season!

Knute Knurtsson: This guy is the ultimate playmaker with 32 assist (1st in the league) & only 9 goals. He can make something from nothing and set up a goal. Definitely having a great season, unfortunately his team (Colorado) is currently in last.

Hiro Fujikawa: Currently 2nd in scoring and this guy has a incredible offensive IQ. Also he’s another one of those players who can score but also set up a goal with a beauty pass. He currently has 21 goals and 19 assist. This guy is a huge reason Anaheim sits in 3rd in the league!

Word Count: 256

[Image: X7XTjeD.png]

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS

Undoubtedly the top candidate for the Raymond Lindsey Trophy this season is Vancouver Whalers center Borromini Cannellini. Cannellini ran away with the scoring title this season, leading the SMJHL in goals with 25 tallies and finishing top 5 in the league in assists as well. Borromini's point total was a full clear 10 points clear of the rest of the field. The Panthers prospect also finished well ahead of his peers in plus/minus rating, finishing the season with a +28 rating. Nobody else in the league finished with a rating higher than a +20. Cannellini is the engine behind the Whalers offense. Whoever plays with the talented center sees there own production improve. The Americans presense is a huge advantage for the Whalers and will make them a very dangerous team to match-up with in the SMJHL playoffs.

Beyond Cannellini, there are few other players who have earned the right to be in the conversation for this award. Patrice Nadeau of the Lethbridge Lions has the strongest case. Nadeau was hands down the best goaltender in the SMJHL this season. The Lions finished the regular season seeing a huge improvement in overall play during the franchises second season in the league. There's no way that the team could have enjoyed such a successful campaign without the talented goalkeeper's incredible play.

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

Raptors Parker Smeb: With 22 goals and 41 points, Parker Smeb is top 8 in points and tied for 2nd most goals in the league this year. Possibly even more impressive is his league leading 127 hits. His ability to produce points and also throw the body resulting in a multi-faceted game makes him one of the MVP candidates this season. Definitely one of the most feared players to play against this season.

Whalers Barromini Cannollini: Leading the league in points with 54 and goals with 25, Canollinni is obviously a popular choice in this thread and rightfully so. He's posted a stellar season for Vancouver and being #1 in goals and points will surely go a long way with the voting committee. I think Cannollini will be this season's MVP since he finished with a considerable lead in points over the next closest person at 44. He's the odds on favorite to win it.

Knights Guy Zheng: Had to get the defenseman in here as an option. Zheng finished 6th in the league in points with 42 and scored 10 goals from the blue line which is very impressive. He also had a +19 rating which is always important for defenseman and displays his effectiveness in his own end. Zheng was also 6th in powerplay points with 14. Just a great year from a Dman, he should get some consideration for MVP.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

It seems like everyone else here has provided some stats-based analysis in their MVP picks, and as such, it looks like everybody has picked pretty much the same players, so I have decided to branch out and make my top three picks based on something I think is very important - pets.

Whalers  Jax Duggan — Jax has a dog who is named Moe, and she is a mix between Bernese mountain dog and border collie. After speaking with Jax and seeing some pictures of this amazing dog, I have learned that Moe looks like a border collie, but has the endearing stupidity of a Bernese mountain dog. Jax himself finished this season with four goals, eighteen assists, and eighty crushing hits doled out on his opponents, and I think part of that confidence must surely come from the confidence boost of having a loyal animal companion.

Outlaws Corey Kennedy — Corey is the proud owner of an Irish Wolfhound named Saoirse (like Saoirse Ronan, but better, because dogs are always better than people). She (the Irish Wolfhound) is, according to Corey, an adorable giant cuddle bug, who loves the rain and her chew toys. She also loves to fish and hunt with Corey in the off season. That kind of friendship is almost definitely a factor in Corey’s play - he tallied a total of sixteen points and blocked thirty-seven shots this season.

Armada Tony Ford — Tony definitely gets the award for most pets. He has “a few” horses at his country estate back in the UK (he did not specify the number, but having more horses than one can remember is definitely a sign of…something). He also has four greyhounds, three cats, and a goldfish. The most important pet to Tony, though, is his giant African snail. I am not sure of the type of companionship a snail can offer, but it must be helpful, because Tony got on the score sheet ten times this year with three goals and seven assists. He also made forty-three hits on opposing teams, and blocked fifty-one shots. 

Honorable mention for this goes to Anchorage's Eko Van Otter, who claims Julio Tokolosh is his pet cow (Julio himself confirmed this, so there may be some merit to that).

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .