Create Account

A TPE Look at the S46 SHL Draft
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2019, 11:57 AM by Trautner.)

First off, big shout out to @Blastmeaway who created the Player Analyze spreadsheet, and linked it in the Czechia locker room on Discord. It was, of course, paramount to this article on the Season 46 SHL draft class based on TPE.

With Season 47 winding to a close in SHL, I think now is a great time to take a look back at the Season 46 draft class. A large amount of this "Reddit draft" class will be joining their pro SHL teams for Season 48 after spending some time developing in the SMJHL. Only a small glimpse at the TPE rankings will tell you just how ridiculously deep this draft class is. A grand total of 38 Season 46 draftees have accrued over 500 TPE in the SHL. Comparatively, the Season 45 and Season 44 draft classes have just 19 and 16 members who have surpassed 500 TPE. The Season 43 draft class, which I believe I can safely assume is also a "Reddit draft" class based on their large numbers too, has 35 members who have gained 500 or more TPE.

There is still a significant number of Season 46 draftees who are just below the 500 TPE mark, and very well may pass the milestone prior to the start of next season. As an outsider from other sim leagues like PBE and NSFL, I can't help but be amazed at not only the sheer number of creates, but also the number of "max active" members that have stayed around SHL in the Season 46 draft class.

Now, after marveling at the success of this draft class as it matures and gets blooded into the SHL fully next season, let's take a look at some of the very top draft picks and how they have panned out TPE-wise:

Round 1 

1. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Nikolai Evans - 549 TPE
2. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (VIA San Francisco Pride) - Anastasia O'Koivu - 522 TPE
3. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Olivier Cloutier - 600 TPE
4. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Monkey D. Luffy - 640 TPE
5. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (VIA Chicago Syndicate) - Mathias Seger - 600 TPE
6. Specters New Orleans Specters - Jimmy Slothface - 609 TPE
7. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (VIA Calgary Dragons) - Perry Morgan - 610 TPE
8. Rage Manhattan Rage - Andrej Doskocil - 535 TPE
9. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (VIA Toronto North Stars) - Kalvins Zvejnieks - 582 TPE
10. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers -  Borromini Cannellini - 635 TPE
11. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Nick Brain - 618 TPE
12. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Gordie Boomhover - 623 TPE
13. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs (VIA Texas Renegades) - Jerry Mander - 568 TPE
14. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda (VIA Minnesota Chiefs) - Matt Kholin - 617 TPE
15. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (VIA Chicago Syndicate, West Kendall Platoon) - Guy Zheng - 619 TPE
16. Dragons Calgary Dragons (VIA Edmonton Blizzard) - Brennan Kennedy Jr. - 615 TPE

TOTAL ROUND 1 TPE: 9542 TPE

Honestly, an amazing first round. Not a single team whiffed on their pick at all in this draft. Given that SHL pro teams have the advantage of having a full season to evaluate players first in the SMJHL, it likely makes "draft busts" hard to come by especially in the first round, but all of these players have well surpassed the 500 TPE mark. Monkey D. Luffy stands out among his peers with an astounding 640 TPE accrued, with Cannellini providing fantastic value at pick #10 with 635 TPE. At 635 TPE, Borromini Cannelini has 100 TPE more than Andrej Doskocil, who was drafted before the generational talent at pick #8. The Hamilton Steelhawks had the unique advantage of holding both the #1 and #2 picks in this draft. However, both Nikolai Evans and Anastasia O'Koivu have dropped off the pace at the top of the TPE leaderboards. Nevertheless, the two young skaters each are contracted to agents with rich, rich histories for success which Hamilton undoubtedly is counting on.

Round 2

17. pride San Francisco Pride - Knute Knurtsson - 608 TPE
18. Stampede Buffalo Stampede (VIA Tampa Bay Barracuda) - Kalevi Karhunen - 569 TPE
19. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Bobby Sharp - 612 TPE
20. Specters New Orleans Specters - Michael Fox - 572 TPE
21. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Kit Smeb - 614 TPE
22. Dragons Calgary Dragons (VIA Hamilton Steelhawks) - Barry Batsbak - 568 TPE
23. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Chico Smeb - 618 TPE
24. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda (VIA Manhattan Rage) - Jøln DuBølk - 525 TPE
25. Stars Toronto North Stars - Troy Reynolds - 483 TPE
26. syndicate Chicago Syndicate  (VIA Los Angeles Panthers) - Eva Lykke Aparjode - 478 TPE
27. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Michael Scarn - 641 TPE
28. Stampede Buffalo Stampede (VIA Chicago Syndicate, New England Wolfpack) - Kristoffer Svensson - 210 TPE
29. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs  - Collin Gibbles - 597 TPE
30. syndicate Chicago Syndicate (VIA Buffalo Stampede, Texas Renegades) - Daniel Smeb - 626 TPE
31. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Gaspard Boone - 353 TPE
32. Rage Manhattan Rage (VIA Toronto North Stars, Edmonton Blizzard) - Peter Larson - 561 TPE

TOTAL ROUND 2 TPE: 9234 TPE

Is this the strongest Round 2 draft in SHL history? I am only but a newcomer to this site with very little knowledge of SHL history, but this second round looks bananas. Featuring yours truly as the top TPE earner of the draft class, stuck in the middle of the second round, three of the Smeb brothers who have dominated the TPE earning, and valuable site members like Knurtsson, Sharp, and Fox, this second round is littered with talent that very well could be top of the 1st round talent in any other draft class. If not for some unfortunate "draft busts" like Kristoffer Svensson at #28 by the Stampede and Gaspard Boone at #31, this second round's total TPE would surpass that of the first round!

Round 3

33. pride San Francisco Pride - Nathan Explosion - 566 TPE
34. Stampede Buffalo Stampede (VIA Tampa Bay Barracuda) - Raino Kyllonen - 405 TPE
35. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Johnny Sins - 355 TPE
36. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Parker Smeb - 626 TPE
37. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (VIA New Orleans Specters) - Dick Clapper - 598 TPE
38. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Brock Emmerton - 454 TPE
39. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Bernik Vrzala - 515 TPE
40. Stars Toronto North Stars (VIA Manhattan Rage) - Mike McKorsy - 428 TPE
41. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (VIA Toronto North Stars) - Fork Spoon - 325 TPE
42. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Eddy Ask Jr. - 481 TPE
43. Stars Toronto North Stars (VIA Winnipeg Jets) - Valeri Tikhonov - 294 TPE
44. syndicate Chicago Syndicate (VIA New England Wolfpack) - Tibuk Soonika - 494 TPE
45. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - Casimir Stevens - 610 TPE
46. Renegades Texas Renegades (VIA Tampa Bay Barracudas, Texas Renegades) - Tyler Tougard - 545 TPE
47. Specters New Orleans Specters (VIA New England Wolfpack, West Kendall Platoon) - Mike Hunt - 270 TPE
48. Specters New Orleans Specters (VIA New England Wolfpack, West Kendall Platoon) - Osbert Whacker - 467 TPE

TOTAL ROUND 3 TPE: 7433 TPE

Definitely the beginning of a drop-off here for the class, although this draft class is still amazingly deep. When you can get talents like Casimir Stevens at #45 overall, with over 600 TPE, you know this class is special. The fourth Smeb brother goes here in the 3rd round and the Smebs are all absolutely murdering it for earning TPE. The Toronto North Stars will feel a little bit aggrieved to have drafted Tikhonov at #43 and McKorsy at #40, neither of whom look like blue-chip prospects. The Buffalo Stampede also finally cool off their absolute heater of their first two rounds after securing Luffy, Karhunen, and Sharp.

Round 4

49. pride San Francisco Pride - Patrice Nadeau - 474 TPE
50. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (VIA Tampa Bay Barracuda) - Taisei-Tiikeri Wawazat - 478 TPE
51. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Eric Vanderberg - 382 TPE
52. Specters New Orleans Specters - Basil Magnicotta - 464 TPE
53. Jets Winnipeg Jets (via Chicago Syndicate) - Commander Shepard - 544 TPE
54. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard (VIA Hamilton Steelhawks) - James Truong - 473 TPE
55. Platoon West Kendall Platoon (VIA Calgary Dragons) - Petr Mikulak - 449 TPE
56. Rage Manhattan Rage - David Vent - 413 TPE
57. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers (VIA Toronto North Stars) - Egor Kucherov - 280 TPE
58. Stars Toronto North Stars (VIA Los Angeles Panthers) - Donny McMasters - 427 TPE
59. syndicate Chicago Syndicate (via Winnipeg Jets) - Liam Hutchinson - 381 TPE
60. Dragons Calgary Dragons (VIA New England Wolfpack) - Oliver Klozoff - 409 TPE
61. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (VIA Minnesota Chiefs) - Alexsi O’Koivu-Volkova - 437 TPE
62. Stampede Buffalo Stampede (VIA Texas Renegades) - Yuri Ushakov - 315 TPE
63. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Aleksander Scherbak - 418 TPE
64. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Cant Eykhil - 349 TPE

TOTAL ROUND 4 TPE: 6693 TPE

There are still some serious talents in Round 4 of this draft! Most notably, Commander Shepard is an absolute steal for the Winnipeg Jets in the early 4th round. Two of my Czechian teammates, Petr Mikulak and David Vent, also go back to back in the middle of the round and are definitely great prospects who will provide excellent pick value for their respective SHL teams. 

Okay, so we have taken a rough look at the first four rounds of this draft class and pointed out some notable picks / underperformers. Let's now go a little deeper and compare draft positions to TPE rankings!

Notable Poor Value Picks

2. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (VIA San Francisco Pride) - Anastasia O'Koivu - 522 TPE, TPE Rank: 36, CHANGE: -34
31. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Gaspard Boone - 353 TPE, TPE Rank: 65, CHANGE: -34
1. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Nikolai Evans - 549 TPE, TPE Rank: 31, CHANGE: -30
35. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Johnny Sins - 355 TPE, TPE Rank: 64, CHANGE: -29

43. Stars Toronto North Stars (VIA Winnipeg Jets) - Valeri Tikhonov - 294 TPE, TPE Rank: 72, CHANGE: -29
47. Specters New Orleans Specters (VIA New England Wolfpack, West Kendall Platoon) - Mike Hunt - 270 TPE, TPE Rank: 76, CHANGE: -29
41. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks (VIA Toronto North Stars) - Fork Spoon - 325 TPE, TPE Rank: 68, CHANGE: -27
8. Rage Manhattan Rage - Andrej Doskocil - 535 TPE, TPE Rank: 34, CHANGE: -26
34. Stampede Buffalo Stampede (VIA Tampa Bay Barracuda) - Raino Kyllonen - 405 TPE, TPE Rank: 58, CHANGE: -24
3. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Olivier Cloutier - 600 TPE, TPE Rank: 20, CHANGE: -17

I'm not sure whether to be surprised or to be not surprised that the top 3 picks in the draft are in the "Poor Value" list. It is hard to live up to the expectations of being drafted at the top of this class especially among all others, and tough to keep up on all the TPE opportunities. Of course, all of the first round talents who are also on the "Poor Value" list are still good prospects who are earning enough to be great players in the SHL, but they have fallen off the torrid pace for tops in TPE.

Notable Best Value Picks

112.  Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Karlstrabe Scholz - 614 TPE, TPE Rank: 13, CHANGE: +99
95. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Ethan Ross - 511 TPE, TPE Rank: 38, CHANGE: +57
100. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Billy Sorokin - 405 TPE, TPE Rank: 59, CHANGE: +41
36. syndicate Chicago Syndicate - Parker Smeb - 626 TPE, TPE Rank: 4, CHANGE: +32
45. Chiefs Minnesota Chiefs - Casimir Stevens - 610 TPE, TPE Rank: 16, CHANGE: +29
27. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Michael Scarn - 641 TPE, TPE Rank: 1, CHANGE: +26
30. syndicate Chicago Syndicate (VIA Buffalo Stampede, Texas Renegades) - Daniel Smeb - 626 TPE, TPE Rank: 5, CHANGE: +25
53. Jets Winnipeg Jets (via Chicago Syndicate) - Commander Shepard - 544 TPE, TPE Rank: 33, CHANGE: +20
67. syndicate Chicago Syndicate (VIA Buffalo Stampede) - Dylan Karlsson - 464 TPE, TPE Rank: 47, CHANGE: +20
72. Rage Manhattan Rage - Zach Laliberte - 422 TPE, TPE Rank: 54, CHANGE: +18
23. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Chico Smeb - 618 TPE, TPE Rank: 8, CHANGE: +15
37. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (VIA New Orleans Specters) - Dick Clapper - 598 TPE, TPE Rank: 22, CHANGE: +15

Some incredible value picks by the Chicago Syndicate in this draft, snagging steal after steal. The two Smeb brothers stand out as great value, and evidently were rather underrated in the draft for whatever reason. Maybe the whole memey creating as brothers thing scared some teams off. I'm pretty sure Scholz and Sorokin are GM auto-drafts at the end, if not then they are the biggest steals of all time so please correct me if I'm assuming wrong so I can give the proper credence.

I hope to maybe do an update on this in the future, it was a pretty fun task made easy of course by Blastmeaway's awesome spreadsheet. I hope this was informative about our great draft class!

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

The real question is why @karlssens dropped to 122

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2019, 12:54 AM by O4L.)

Sorokin wasn't a GM and actually fell that far.  

Great work with this! syndicate syndicate syndicate

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

If not for some unfortunate "draft busts" like Kristoffer Svensson at #28 by the Stampede and Gaspard Boone at #31, this second round's total TPE would surpass that of the first round!

@gillon haehae

RETIRED

05-21-2019, 12:53 AMO4L Wrote: Sorokin wasn't a GM and actually fell that far.  

Great work with this!  syndicate  syndicate  syndicate

Yep, Sorokin prolly fell because St.Louis had another goalie who was ahead of him (Lee Marshall). Lee went inactive.

Stars | Player | Update Thread | Gordie#6746 | Manual Lineup Sheet | HockeyNation | Grizzlies

Kristoffer Svensson is on 599 TPE

LOL

Scholz and Ross are SHL GMs and used this late round picks just for fun Wink

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2019, 04:48 AM by Slappydoodle.)

In light of this information, the real question@ztevans , was the Tsarevich the real disappointment at #1?

Scrub

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

05-21-2019, 04:47 AMSlappydoodle Wrote: In light of this information, the real question@ztevans , was the Tsarevich the real disappointment at #1?

Scrub

I figured we all knew that already.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

4th goalie off the board; 1st G in TPE by 50 over 2nd place <_<

[Image: S3zuZxo.png]
[Image: 10cjae8.png]

this is slander, i'll have you know

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]

[Image: f7Sn74Q.png]
[Image: G7pWGHR.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM by karlssens.)

05-21-2019, 12:46 AMBlastmeaway Wrote: The real question is why @karlssens dropped to 122

probably because I'm edgy as fuck.

awesome article trautner. I always love a good draft class review.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

get boomed @gillon

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

05-21-2019, 01:05 PMgillon Wrote: this is slander, i'll have you know

I stan gillon and his almost 600 TPE. @Trautner... man....

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

05-21-2019, 03:02 PMhhh81 Wrote:
05-21-2019, 01:05 PMgillon Wrote: this is slander, i'll have you know

I stan gillon and his almost 600 TPE. @Trautner... man....

Ah damn oops. I'm preparing for the defamation lawsuit.

[Image: scarn.png]

[Image: m59RPb7.png] [Image: czechup.png]
[Image: giphy.gif][Image: giphy.gif]

05-21-2019, 03:30 PMTrautner Wrote:
05-21-2019, 03:02 PMhhh81 Wrote: I stan gillon and his almost 600 TPE. @Trautner... man....

Ah damn oops. I'm preparing for the defamation lawsuit.

I still like you.

And that makes that 2nd round even more impressive!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]