Create Account

S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame

Before really taking his career off in the SMJHL and eventually the SHL, Jøln DuBølk was the Zamboni driver for his local rink. Every day, he would get to the rink, turn on the zamboitni, and clear the ice about once every hour. He always knew that the quality of the ice mattered, and it impacted him throughout his career with the Zamboni drivers he met in Lethbridge Colleseium and Amalie Arena in Tampa Bay. Before he goes out onto the ice for warm up, he always trys to thank the Zamboni driver for keeping the ice fresh for him and his teammates. He knows what it takes and how much pressure it puts on them, so he always tries to make sure they get the praise they deserve.

Beyond that, he always invites the driver and their family over to his house for christmas, and they usually have a good time.

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

Before I was drafted to the SMJHL and started my transition to the SHL, I worked as a produce clerk at a local grocery store in the Toronto area. My job was very simple, I would stock produce shelves and make sure that the product was still fresh. Overall, the job was dull like most part time jobs. Though, these are the kind of jobs where you learn the value of a dollar and the value of hard work more. The people around you are more than likely trying to grind to stay afloat with the rising cost of everything. It taught me to not be reckless with money but rather make sure to stretch it and cover for any hardships that may come. Though I make great money being an SHL player, I haven't really spent much money on anything stupid and useless. Rather, my job as a produce clerk taught me to be smart so I've started to invest and put money away for my post playing career.

Code:
170 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Shooter went to a local school in Winnipeg, where he went to school. He mentioned his golf success and how it all started as being captain of golf team at that very high school. One job Shooter had to help afford golfing lessons, was as a pizza and weed delivery service. He told the students that he worked for Mr.Pappi's Pizza and that it started out as a normal pizza delivery service, but then they also started delivering pizzas as well (that's a joke). His first ever weed delivery was terrifying, as it was 11PM and he the man he delivered to had been flagged in the past for violence towards delivery men, but he was a great tipper. As Shooter approached the door, his heart was beating out of his chest and knocked the door. This big burly man with a handlebar mustache answered the door. "Are you the guy? My next victim?" OMG this is it, this is the day I die...but then the man said "I'm going to pummel you in the new SHL game, the one with Ron Mexico on the cover." Shooter was perplexed, but ultimately relieved, though there was a visible trail of fear in his khakis. Shooter accepted the challenge and won the game in O.T. with a goal by the coverman himself. Bruto gave Shooter the money and a gracious $100 tip. This scary encounter taught Shooter to be brave and tackle challenges head on, which is why he is a successful scorer in the SHL today.

As I have mentioned before, Commander Shepard has had a life already lived. Shepard and his crew ended up going through a wormhole and ended up in an entirely different universe; the SHL universe. Shepard was born on earth in 2154. Orphaned as a young child, Shepard grew up tough and a natural leader, joining the Systems Alliance N7 when he was of age. Before Shepard’s hockey career he was mostly known as a SPECTRE (Special Tactics and Reconnaissance) for the galactic council. Shepard acted above galactic law in order to stop and mitigate potential terror/gang threats to the galaxy. Shepard loved his job and saved the galaxy many times over. Shepard learned how to be a leader, work within a team, and do the right thing in the face of insurmountable odds. Shepard uses these skills in the SHL, trying to be a team player at all costs. Shepard will always look on those days fondly but enjoys his retirement as an SHL player.

[Image: shepard.png][Image: giphy.gif][Image: TFOzBaZ.gif]

Thanks to @FlappyGiraffe and @ToeDragon84 for the making these sick sigs!

Quote:                            First Goal (3rd Game): Commander Shepard 1 (Nick Brain 1, Noah Gallagher 2) at 8:48

Collin Gibbles held two jobs before declaring for the SMJHL draft. The first was a job as a cook at a local burger shack in his hometown of Grand Rapids, MI. He was well known for creating new and interesting burgers in the back and after returning from his championship with Anaheim was honored by having a burger named after him. The Grand Gibbles Burger has 2 1/3 lb angus beef patties on a potato bun with caramelized onions, a hashbrown disk, mayo, A-1 steak sauce, bacon, pepperjack and colby cheeses, lettuce, and a fried egg.

Gibbles second job was teaching local kids hockey camps that he grew up playing in. While not the best paying gig in town, Gibbles enjoyed being able to help the next generation of players grow and improve their game. Many incidents involving joy rides on the Zamboni were rumored to occur but no official reports were ever filed.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Before becoming an SHL player, Tig Murphy was also a rising star in the rugby scene in Ireland as well as a member of multiple academic clubs in high school. He won a U16 world championship as the star hooker on the Irish national rugby squad, but after choosing hockey as his main focus, decided to retire from rugby while on top. However, he also stressed having a focus on an academic career as a fallback in case hockey never worked out. This led him to participate in things like his high school's Physics Olympiad and achieve perfect scores on his standardized testing. This would be his message to the school kids he'd be speaking to - education is incredibly important, no matter how good at non-academic pursuits one is. By putting yourself in a position where you're covered in case of injury, a career not quite working out, or even just not wanting to pursue it anymore, you prevent yourself from falling on hard times with limited options.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

[Image: v8IK6AJ.jpg]

[Image: I3BTEQc.png][Image: dGD5tIx.png]

When Gunnar Söderberg was a teen, he already knew he wanted to be a hockey player, so most of the jobs he did were involved in hockey in some way. He did some assistant coaching of the younger age groups in his hometown during the hockey season. During the summers, in order to save for hockey (which is not a cheap sport to play), he also spent his summer afternoons (while he wasn't training) working at local animal shelters. This involved a lot of washing dogs and cats when they needed baths, and taking them for walks outside the shelter. Eventually, this gradually became a job he did throughout the community, and wherever he ended up living, he did good business as one of the more successful dog walkers in town. There are still a lot of little old ladies in Sweden who hope that someday when he retires, he will come back home and walk their dogs for them.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

[Image: A5Kfcgb.png]

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Kata Vilde during his younger years wanted to be a professional wrestler like his father The Macho Man Randy Savage. Whenever the WWF came to Sweden, young Kata was always there to be hired as a day worker. It wasn't a very glamorous job and he quickly learned that setting up the ring was hard work. It took several hours, particularly if there was a special event like a cage match. He also was tasked with making sure all the wrestlers special requests were taken care of. Trish Stratus for example required a huge bowl of nothing but green M&Ms which took quite a long time to separate out. He also had to bring mice to feed Jake Robert's snake Damien. After he fulfilled all these quests the promoter would sometimes let him into the ring and a few of the wrestlers would try to show him a move or two. Mick Foley was probably the nicest to him and really worked with Kata when he was in town. Although wrestling seems like a joke and a huge fake Kata learned the true professionalism behind the sport that these men and women used to put on the amazing shows that they did and that has certainly carried into his no nonsense approach to playing goal in the SHL.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

[Image: rSH6RLb.png]

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Artem grew up in a small town in Russia where his father Anton ran the cities most popular pub, he is taller and stands 6'8" and that's where his height came from. When Artem was younger he used to carry crates of liquor and shine tables for his father, helping him learn work ethic at the age of 9. As he got older he started to watch ice hockey on T.V. and became very fond of it but that was odd in his household, his uncle Timofey played professional basketball and everybody was focused on that so whenever he would bring it up his family would laugh and tell him to join "real sport". When Artem was old enough he joined the local ice hockey team and started mimicking what he saw on the television screen, he didn't get much time because he had to help out at the pub but by the age 16 he was outplaying grown men and won MVP for leading the league in points, it only consisted of villages close by but it was a huge accomplishment and mood booster for Artem who wanted to make it professional and make hockey a "real sport" in his family. If it wasn't for the fame his uncle the scouts probably wouldn't recognize Artem but taking his game to the next level in a different sport was enough and the same scout that got Timofey into the NBA told SMJHL's Whalers that Artem was worth picking up.. and the rest is history!

(263 words)

Platoon RAIYA Platoon RABINOV Platoon

My first job was as a camp leader at a day camp in my home town of Antigonish, Nova Scotia. This job was a ton of fun about 98% of the time and and allowed me to learn a lot about different aspects of culture and different demographics. It helped adjust to meeting all sorts of different people you meet in the league and realizing that not everybody looks at the world through the same lens.

It's also translated into a big help of relating with the fans, especially with the young ones. They're so excitable, and just showing them basic common courtesies gets them fired up, and understanding that and how they work allows me to relate better to them so that I may have a better community presence to help these kids develop through charity and leadership.

On top of those great things, I have also been able to develop an absolute cannon of an arm for dodgeball by testing different techniques on the youngins. This always helps for the vets vs rookie tourney that we have.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

Michael Fox didn't have too rough of a time prior to making his big break into the SMJHL. He had only one job as a retail sales associate as he trained in his free time trying to make it big with hockey. Fox has joked in the past that his experience in retail helped prepare him for the chirping that would come at the professional level, as his organizational skills really weren't that much improved and the job was fairly laid back. While the job itself may not have had a strong impact on his future in hockey, it did help with his discipline and time management, allowing him to organize his time well outside of the job to better prepare himself for the SMJHL draft that was looming entering his senior year of high school. Now anchoring the third line in New Orleans, Michael Fox shouldn't need to worry about money anytime soon.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2019, 07:25 PM by Tomen.)

Alex Selich was in the fortunate position to have been brought up in a wealthy hockey family which means he never had to actually do a job in his life and therefore can't relay any words of wisdom regarding that stuff to the high school students in the state of New York. Seeing how his father Otto was a successful manager for Team Germany since Alex was little and his big brother Eduard enjoying the hockey pro Life in the SHL as a member of the Buffalo Stampede. Alex was allowed to focus purely on the things that he was passionate about and the things that made a boatload of fun in is childhood. Obviously hockey was one of these things. He started to gin skating lessons at 3 and got acquainted with in person shortly afterwards when his skating skills were good enough. In his free time he was just a normal boy in Germany while having an interesting hobby and a possibly future career ahead of him.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)