Create Account

S49 PT #2 - Before the Fame

With two SHL all stars as parents, it wasn’t a surprise to see Aleksi in the background at a young age. Aside from being on the ice non stop, the young Volkova-O’Koivu offspring served as the equipment manager for his father. Sharpening skates, patching up pads and even taping sticks... if it needed to be done then Aleksi was there. A pretty thankless job, but it had to be done. At the end of the day, it kept him around the rink and on the ice.

Taunted often by fellow teammates of his parents, young Aleksi always found a way to get everyone back. Whether putting a piece of hockey tape on the bottom of a skate or filling a water bottle with various things... he could never be trusted. What it did do tho is it allowed the young netminder to establish an attention to detail and his equipment shows. Well at least when he can afford it.

[Image: Wally.png]

[Image: Tqdo3J1.png]

[Image: 17307_s.gif]

StarsnorwayRenegades // PLAYER PAGE || UPDATES \\ RenegadesnorwayStars

Before becoming a hockey player, Dylan Karlsson worked at a local car repair shop as a mechanic because that was what his dad did. He actually worked at the same shop at his dad, his dad being a long time good employee is what helped him get the gig. Dylan expected to hate it since it was hard work but it actually made him feel good; he likes problem solving and fixing things. It also had decent pay too which let him have a bit of cash to spend. He learned how to work through exhaustion which is something you have to know on the ice, it helped him build endurance as much as training. He also got to spend time with his dad which although it was no picnic was worthwhile and something he doesn’t regret down the line. You can’t get time with family back and your parents are the ones who really care about you at the end of the day.

hi

Wilson grew up always wanting to be in the SHL, but unfortunately you still have to pay the bills before you make it. Like many young teens, Wilson opted towards landscaping to make some money. Is the perfect job for doing the minimum amount of work while getting paid a decent enough salary. $15/hr to mow a patch of grass for 8 hours, why not? Growing up in Kelowna, however, there was a not too much time in the year where this was necessary. In the 7 months of winter the grass is all dead from the snow and in the peak 2 months of summer the grass is all scorched to death by the heat. But, in those shoulder 3 months that’s where Wilson put in the work.

Not only is landscaping good on the wallet, but it gets you outside and staying at least a little bit in shape by pushing that mower around. You can also work on the tanned golden skin during all the time out under the sun.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

[Image: 4mNVuoo.png]

[Image: TqPg1ou.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png] [Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: wu5MVvy.png%5D]

Honestly high school is really fuckin dumb, I would say it's probably one of the worst things about our society, and the entire world at large I think. I didn't go to it, so... None of you should be here.

I definitely shouldn't be allowed in here, I mean...

Really.

What the fuck is any of this?

What are you doing here?

In a high school?

It's idiotic, you should be out living it up, enjoy the outdoors, plant trees, and dig holes to do plant the tree first, but whatever you do. Don't waste your youth, cherish it. Cherish the good times you have as a young person, and spend none of it in educational institutions, cause they make you weak in the head.

It's all a big hoax, nothing taught in schools is real to begin with, so don't worry about anything. If you want to be successful, just steal and lie for forever like a squirrel. Make sure to snort as much mrystal ceth as you can also, unless you're a real player, then you smoke that shit.

Anyways, good luck with the rest of the year, and your life after high school.

Don't let anyone tell you, you know like you can't do something in life, cause you're the only one holding back success.

Don't do drugs. Always stay in school.

Thank you very much

[Image: 4sN9yMR.png]

Quote:Written Task: The league wants its players to visit high schools around the states and provinces in which they play and talk to the students about life before SHL fame! You're tasked with talking to the students about the jobs you had before the SHL: What were the jobs? Did you enjoy them? Did you learn anything from them? Did any of them have an impact on your life or career? (must be 150+ words)

Visiting students during a high school SHL visit event Ulrich got to tell students about his work life prior to becoming a pro hockey player. Rafe held a position at the supermarket where he helped stock the shelves and would occasionally work at the cash register. This is a job he did not mind having as he enjoyed having chats with the customers and the work was alright. Besides his work at the supermarket Rafe also assisted the local docter from time to time. He would deliver medicine to people who could not make it to the docters office. This was a job he did maybe once a week and only took an hour or so to complete.

Rafe would not really say that this has impacted his life, but it was nice work experience and brought in a bit of money and while it may not have impacted much on his career as a hockey player he says that having a part time job is great to learn responsibilty and make some extra moolah.

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

[Image: pVUgfNK.jpg]

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

So before making the show, or even cracking the Militia roster as a Junior, Kristoffer svensson was your typical teen in the north of Sweden. The only reason he even bothered to land any jobs was to afford that sweet new Ski-Doo (it's a snow mobile). So what would usually happen is he'd check out the sick new models in a brochure and then decide he'd save up for one with the money he earned from summer jobs while having off time from school.

So a summer would often look like this; he'd do one job re-painting fences, one where he'd clear out branches and debris, one working as a street cleaner for the municipality and probably a last one being a hopped up lifeguard at the local kids pool. After all was said and done the pay for all of these activities would bring him in maybe a cool 2% of what that sweet Ski-Doo would cost. So the lesson and moral of the story is that working doesn't pay off kids, if you want a sweet Ski-Doo just go ahead and steal it or, I don't know, play pro hockey.

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]

[Image: f7Sn74Q.png]
[Image: G7pWGHR.png]

Barret McCarthy didn't grow up with a lot, and neither did his older brother Cloud. Both of them had crappy jobs they juggled along with their training, and school throughout their time before the SMJHL draft. Barret personally had to flip burgers at a local hamburger joint for a while. It wasn't too bad a job, the work was straight forward, and honestly, the free food sure didn't hurt matter much a long with the wages, though the pay was crap. He also did some time working at a grocery store doing overnight restocking. He was surprised to see how much overnights paid, but realized that the complete lack of sleep was going to run him into the ground and stopped. Now, from time t time, he goes to Halifax where his brother, Cloud, has a very popular food truck and during the off season spends time with him there, cooking and dishing out food, and enjoying the time with his older brother who couldn't make it in the SHL.

Well, Alexis Metzler didn't actually have any true "fixed" jobs- certainly not in hockey. It's too hard to juggle an official position when you're in Bismarck some of the time, and Minnewaukan some of the time, and playing junior hockey interstate at other times. He did briefly hold a position at a Burger King, like many kids at 16, but was told not to come back when shifts clashed with a hockey trip to Michigan.

In reality, the majority of what Alexis Metzler did to make cash on the side was... mow lawns. There were plenty of lawns in both towns, and plenty of people prepared to give him 5 bucks to mow them. Some raking of leaves happened; clearing of snow on occasion as well, but nothing more intense gardening-wise than that. He was also a whizz with spreadsheets at a younger age, and would occasionally help out older people in the community with their excel issues.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

While training in Texas during the off-season I got to tour some of the state and visit a few high schools. Football is king is Texas and I doubt hockey will take over any time soon. But believe it or not I used to play in a Czech league before coming to North America. We weren't very good but Tim Tebow did some and watch us play. I played Free Safety and was one of the better players in the league.

So once I talked to them about football they were a little more interested. I have had all kinds of jobs from selling bootleg CDs out the back of cars to being extras in movies. The best job I ever had was washing dishes. It's gross but it's mind-numbing which is nice. So I can just work and space out, think about my game, homework, or anything else.

[Image: ashford.png]

Whalers
[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Tony Ford has spent a lot of time working with kids, especially those with special needs, in schools around where he grew up. For him, there is no greater joy than seeing the smile of a child when they learn to skate for the first time, or indeed score a goal, so he spent a lot of his earlier years coaching those younger than him, which is one of many reasons he is tipped for a role in management in the future. This also instilled in him such a love of the game which caused him to pursue it at an older age, one of many reasons he has come so far. When he retires, he says, he looks forward to going back to coaching young players and showing the SHL players of tomorrow some of the skill that they will require to reach the pinnacle of this great sport.

[Image: 58170_v.gif]
[Image: 58170_s.gif]
Thanks to @Carpy48 , @sköldpaddor, @Weretarantula, @Bruins10  and @Wasty  for sigs
Extra special thanks to @Julio Tokolosh for the sick gif one

Before the SHL Mikulak was often found at home playing video games and commentating over them. While his parents surely didn't understand what he was doing, one of his 200 subscribers definitely would have. Though he "worked" as a Youtuber, he was never actually earning any significant amount of money, nor was he getting a lot of views on his videos. His most popular video entitled, "stavět velký dům, ale umírám a křičím ve videu a moje máma se na mě zlobí," had over 1,000 views and simply entailed the young Mikulak playing the sandbox game Minecraft and building a large house, however partially through the video he gets blown up by a Creeper, an enemy you face in Minecraft, which destroyed a large portion of his newly erected home. In reaction to his hard work being squandered he began to scream and cry very loudly, which angered his mother and caused her to enter the room and yell at him, the video cuts off shortly after his mom enters the room.