Create Account

A Bitter End and a Look Ahead A Post-S38 Chat with Marcus Shane

[Scene fades in from black to two individuals sitting at a cardboard desk. The front of the desk is emblazoned with the logo from the Local Sports Network, and otherwise painted matte black.
The man sitting on the left of the camera is middle-aged, with flecks of grey through a chestnut mane of heavily-gelled hair in a side-part. He is clearly wearing heavy makeup to cover the ravages of time, and is showing blindingly white teeth in a made-for-TV smile.
Seated beside him is a bearded, younger man wearing an athletic t-shirt with the Vancouver Whalers logo on the front. His hair is tied back in a tight ponytail, and he looks rather perturbed.]

Older Man - Rob Douglas here with Marcus Shane, rookie sensation from the Vancouver Whalers in the SMJHL. A brilliant and exciting season has ended, as I'm sure you will agree, Marcus, far too soon with a 4 game sweep in the first round of the playoffs at the hands of the St. Louis Scarecrows.

[The younger man nods, forcefully.]

RD - So, Marcus, what can you say about your season that just passed? 2nd on the team in Rookie scoring with 5 goals and 11 assists, and 1 goal in 4 games in the playoffs. How are you feeling?

MS - I mean, it was a decent season for me personally, but my goal every year is to help the team win a Championship, and we didn't do that. So, it's a bit tough today.

RD - Understandably. What was it about St. Louis that made it so difficult for your team?

MS - It seemed like they were just....starting the game before we were. Even in the last game, they had, what, 6 goals in the first period? We just weren't awake when they were, and we paid for it.

RD - Now, looking ahead is the S39 SHL Draft. Are you excited at all? Have any teams contacted you?

MS - Yeah, I'm very excited. A couple of teams have sent me some online surveys to do, and I'm hoping to answer a few phone calls. I was drafted late for the SMJHL draft and kind of enjoy having "sleeper status."

[Marcus Shane cracks what seems to be an authentic smile for the first time in the interview.]

RD - Final question here. Are there any teams in the SHL that you hope draft you, or are you just looking for the opportunity?

MS - I mean, there are so many good teams in the league, and quite a few in my own backyard. Hamilton, Toronto, even Buffalo have pretty awesome teams built and if I get brought into the fold, that would be amazing. That being said, if any SHL team wants to give me an opportunity, I plan to make the most of it.

[The host turns to the camera with a wide grin]

RD - Thank you Marcus, and congratulations on what truly was a great first season of professional hockey. Good luck in the draft, and see you around!

MS - Thanks.

[Fade out]

Code:
504 words

Good luck!

Cheers

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]