Create Account

S73 PT#2: Who's on First?

What I do as a defenseman to help out my goalie is play amazing defense. Seems simple enough, right? I block shots, clear the front of the net, block passing lanes, smash their forwards into the boards, and am a general pain in the ass for the oppositions attackers. I want my goalie to have the easiest job in the league, so I make my job the hardest in the league. My dream game would be to finish a game with more blocked shots and takeaways than our goalie has saves, but that can be pretty tough as I don't play sixty minutes like goalies do. It's almost like they are cheating by playing so much, maybe I should divide their saves by three or something so I at least have a chance. Or maybe I can try and get in way better shape, but lets be honest that just isn't going to happen.

[Image: NOLA-oiduser.png]

As a defenseman, my job is generally pretty easy. And I don’t have to do too much to keep our goalies happy. The first, and most important thing to do to keep a man (or woman) between the pipes happy is to buy them dinner post-game when you really screw up and hang them out to dry. Other than a post game meal though, I also try to remember to get in shooting lanes. But also, don’t get in the shooting lanes so much so that my little friend back there can’t see the pucks that do get through. It is without a doubt, easier said than done. And, if you can’t get into the lane and block shots, you have to just be a great, vocal, communicator. Talking to the tendy while behind the net, or letting them know when a shot is headed their way from odd angles. Being a defender is a thankless job, especially if you are more focused on keeping the offense at bay they committing to the offense. Goalies love me, duh.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

SSL Affiliate Post

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: YZjkK9Q.png]

[Image: pt2.png?ex=653b2994&is=6528b494&hm=56e1a...e7bcaddf&=]

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=666c7cf4&is=666b2b74&hm=ab...694e07b12&]

Personally if I had to suggest tickets, I would say to get some tickets behind the player benches. It doesn’t necessarily have to be the first row, but ideally something relatively close. This would not only allow the kids to have a great view of the game being on the red line, but they would also be able to see how the players act on the bench and see how quickly they jump on/off for shifts. I think this could be extremely cool to see but also could be a teaching moment. Plus, since they spent some time with me at the camp it would be nice to have them be close to see me and my teammates.

In terms of a game I would probably recommend a rivalry game, so maybe a game against Calgary. We always have tough battles and it gets much more intense, there may even be some action going on between the two benches. This would definitely be fun to watch and kids that go to hockey games love watching intense battles and fights.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

Which city does Maine play in? Augusta? Let's do that... Well, we fly the kids into Augusta and get them set up in a nice hotel. I already feel bad as they're out here watching a juniors game instead of the big boys in the SHL. We take them out to breakfast and give them some ice time in the afternoon. Run a few drills and have an open ice fun with them. Get all the players out there to play a little scrimmage against them. Overall, the experience was even fun for the players and the kids seem to be having a blast. Next, we roll to the game and get the kids set up in a nice suite that can easily hold them and their families. Maine ended up winning and the kids got to enjoy at the end of the 2nd period a battle between them and the mascots that the Timbers brought in for a match-up of the century. The kids took it to the mascots and won the in between intermissions game. Hoping to do the same thing next year when I'm called up to Buffalo. 

191 words

[Image: IMG_2927.jpg?width=1195&height=672]

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: mmflex.png?ex=6587840c&is=65750f0c&hm=49...0873cbea2&]

Option 1:

Svoboda was very happy to learn of the fact they were able to send some of the kids from the camp to one of his games. He immediately arranged for them to be able to attend one of LAP's home games against SFP. He'll make sure the tickets are front row, centre ice so they could get the best view of the action.

SFP was a great choice of opponent because Svoboda knew his team would be able to beat them, and he was not about to have the kids watch him get stomped by a better team. SFP is also a state rival to LAP so the game was sure to be a good time. He promised the kids he would score a hattrick in the game too, but he was rather uncertain he could live up to this promise.

After the game, he will make sure to give the kids the chance to meet the rest of the team as well.

163 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

As a true Power Forward, the best thing a defenseman can do to help me score is to give me drop space and allow me to be the first line of defense. They should anticipate the passing lanes and stay low and hungry, waiting for me to make the big hit on the puckhandler, which makes the opposing team pass more frequently out of scoring positions because they see that I'm coming near. Also, maybe a high five every once in a while would be nice. I don't know what I'm doing, nor how to play hockey, so simple encouragements go a long way. Plus, who doesn't like high fives, am I right? If they are really special to me, they will know that I love to do low fives more than anything. There are few things that demonstrate friendship better than a nice, crisp low five. If a defenseman is feeling extra generous, they can teach me how to play hockey. That would also be helpful, most likely.

[Image: jwpshl.png]

Written Task: Tell me what your player wants the defensemen on their team to do to help them out. If your player is a defenseman, tell me what you do to help your goalie out?

Seamus is a two way forward who was classically trained as a shutdown d man. When the goalie is on top of his game, Seamus is right there listening to his goalie call out plays and putting his body on the line. Already, Seamus has wracked up more shot blocks for his team than other players. It comes from his experience on the ice and knowing when and where to be to make the play come alive. When the goalie, from the back, notices a play going down Seamus reacts quickly to the needs of his netminder whether its blocking passing lanes or just getting the hell out of dodge so the goalie can see the shot coming. On the other side, seamus helps his goalie out a ton by getting points and relieving pressure caused by a few mistakes. Seamus is an all around helper to that goalie man.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

ISFL PT

[Image: 43436_s.gif]
Thank you Fever, sköldpaddor and OD for the amazing sigs!
Heart  Militia Montreal Impact/Militia Militia-Old Heart

OPTION 1 -

Oh geez, turns out the Slip McScruff Antarctica spectacular is a recurring theme. They couldn't get enough of him at the (North / South) Pole so they sent him back, this time with (2) kids whose parents were researchers. They held a scrimmage which was kind of whack. Johnny and Charlie faced off with their parents at their side and whichever penguins they could fool into standing in the right places. Johnny won with his slightly more capable penguins and his mom who is a very athletic researcher. Luckily, the federation does not have to pay very much for tickets because everywhere in the SHL is too warm for penguins. They just paid for Johnny and his mom to go to one of our games in Toronto, and to save even more money, they picked a bottom of the league matchup against Montreal.

With all the money they saved, they could afford to stick Johnny and his mom right at ice level, but instead they stuck them in the nosiest of nose bleeds. There was a fat bonus waiting for the USA federation at the conclusion of this big PR promo.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]

Option 2:

Alright defense, listen up, because it's time we had a talk. Our offense is great, and they score lots of goals, but every once in a while I need a bit of help on *our* end of the ice. I'm not saying you have to block every shot that comes our way, or that every goal against is your fault (but between you, me, and the locker room walls, you're on thin ice right now), but if you're excited to get involved on offense and generate points, the best way to do that is to have the puck. I've seen you all slacking, and if @Aleris can put up more hits on his way to the retirement home out there, you can afford to throw a few hits yourselves! Now please, go out there and take away those high danger chances, you're all making me look bad in front of the home town fans!

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

The best seats for team would be right our net so they see me doing all thoses amazing saves! They can also sit behind our bench so they will see us going in and out the ice, have a look at what happen on the bench during a NHL game and still have a pretty good view of the game. If some of t4hem doesn't want to be close to the sction, we can set up a loge with some kids activities and special food just for them.
I think it would be best for them to watch a game against a division rival so the athmosphere would be incredible! Chicago and New Orleans are our biggest at the moment and Winnipeg are not too far behind. So any of those 3 teams would give them a great experience.
Lot of great things to do in Texas that people already know, but with our new stadium a few seasons ago, we tried to bring people and activities around our rink so people will be able the experience things close to the game.

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
 [Image: 5tu6.png] [Image: bdzv.jpeg]

As a defenseman for the New Orleans Specters, there’s a few things I’d like my teammates to do when they’re on the ice. First off, I want my defense partner to be smart enough to read the play. If he’s the one closer to the blue line on a breakout pass, I want them to jump into the play to give us the odd man rush, and I’ll play more of a “centerfield” position until I get into the zone in case we lose the puck and it’s coming back towards us. Conversely, If i’m the defenseman joining the rush, I want them to play the “centerfield” position and know what to do. The forwards need to backcheck and at least cover their zone, and if I have the puck, i need them to be moving. No standing at the blue line. Constant movement to find the open holes and get a breakout pass. If they don’t do that, I’ll just dump the puck in which may end up just being a turnover. I also help my goalie out by making sure I’m not in his way when someone is taking a shot so he can see it clearly. If i need to block a shot for him, I’ll gladly do it, but if its a 2 on me, I’ll focus more on the pass, so the goalie can focus on the shooter. (233)

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page