Create Account

S55 PT #3 - Franchise GOAT
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 03:52 PM by Julio Tokolosh.)

Based on my light research, it is my belief that Tor Tuck is arguably the greatest Edmonton Blizzard player of all time. Tuck has 445 assists, making him the franchise leader in the category. In the opposite end, Tuck has blocked 1177 shots, also good for the most in the franchise. Such heavy contributions at both ends of the ice indicate that Tor Tuck is balanced and potent, yet could be even more powerful in either category if he really leaned into it, but hasn't needed to because he's good enough. Statistical leaders are not the only thing that is important when weighing the success of a player. Tuck has been a contributing/starring/leading roster player for many of the Blizzard's Challenge Cup wins, and has never had a losing season in his professional tenure. He makes the players around him great.

A potential future "greatest of all time" for the Edmonton franchise would be either Brady McIntyre or Tony Pepperoni, who have had similar tenures to Tor Tuck, but are only peaking now.

Here is another sneak peek at a potential GOAT Cool and Over Whelming player

[Image: 220px-Worshiping_the_golden_calf.jpg]

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

I think that franchise GOAT of the Carolina Kraken is Jimmy Wagner. His unmatched speed in the J, his offensive and defensive abilities all together just shine. He can score on even strength, power play, or penalty kill. He's dangerous for the opposition all the time he's touching the puck. Even when he's not touching he makes space for his teammates to score. I have the honor of being on the very same line with him, which makes my player much better. I think that once this season is finished and he gets called up, he'll shine in the SHL right away. Most players don't really perform like superstars during their first seasons in the SHL. Captain Wags may very well be different in that area. Rookie of the year in the SHL? I wouldn't definitely bet against it. Once I'm old, I'll be able to tell my grandchildren that I played on the same line as THAT Jimmy Wagner, THAT legend.

Doing a podcast, ask me any question: HERE
[Image: unknown.png][Image: sig.png][Image: viticek.png]
Thanks to @caltroit_red_flames and @sve7en for these amazing sigs!

Today we'll be looking at the best goalie to ever don a New Orleans Specters jersey. The OG, Mike Hunt, was really not that good. He had one shutout win but that's about it. S43 legend Nathan Cosco also was there but he sucked it. O'Sullivan had a poor s47, a good record but not a good save percentage, followed up by a stellar s48. A .930 save percentage in 6 games is great, only losing one of those tilts. Their final season was not good as well, leading to 1 out of 3 good seasons. Not sure about the GOAT there. Cedric Moreau won three games but had a shitty save percentage, and Lee Marshall was horrible. Probably the WOAT. Primeau was brought in partway through s51 and had a 3-2-1 record with a shutout. He had an identical record through 6 in s52 and had a terrific save percentage. While Saarinen jr is well on the road to becoming the GOAT, and is very young, they don't have the numbers just yet.

Therefore, Sebastien Primeau is the greatest goalie to ever play for the Specters.

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

I'm picking one of the newer franchises, the New Orleans Specters, since they've been around the league basically the same amount of time that I have - I've got a better sense of their history (or Chicago's) than any team that predates those two, which is to say any other team. For New Orleans, there are a few strong candidates - Aleister Cain stands out as one, and by TPE he certainly is. Slothface was an elite early pick and has been there as a top prospect who blossomed into a top player as both the franchise and the player have aged. I'll make the case, however, that DeMaricus Smyth is the franchise GOAT currently. Smyth is the only Specter to win the MVP award, and he did so early in the franchise's history. In S47, Smyth took home both MVP awards as well as the top goal-scorer and top points-getter awards. There's a decent case for Cain and Sloth, even Kurczewski, but no one peaked higher than Smyth so I'll give him the nod. He also switched to D, proving to be a dedicated team player.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

I just found myself on a new franchise that I know nothing about the history of. So I'm gonna take the cowards way out and pick a current player, even though it is an obvious choice for the best franchise player in the league at the moment. At this rate, he won't go down in the wins category, but the all time GOAT Toronto North Star is goaltender Harry Carpet. Not up for discussion. He should win MVP every season. This guy is gonna finish with the all time highest total saves in league history. Probably by at least 40 thousand or so. Just off the top of my head, that's my guess. He came into a rough patch in his team's history that may hurt his perception to the outside world and other teams, as lack of team success can hurt a goalie's perceived greatness. Carpet is the exception. He is outstanding, and will be looked back on fondly as a bright spot on an organization during it's fairly rough rebuild.

(plus he made me a cool sig today)

[Image: Flusso.png]
Sig by @Evil_AllBran

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

While the history of the Chicago Syndicate is relatively short by most teams' measures, there still has been a great list of players who have made a significant impact as part of the organization. Namely, that would be @Kylrad and Daniel Smeb. It might be that my lens is colored as being a budding forward prospect but seeing the heights that Daniel Smeb has risen from being a second round, 30th overall pick, into one of, if not the top forward in the organization at the moment is inspiring. Currently in the peak of his career, D. Smeb already has taken hold of the point scoring franchise lead at 354, and will continue to make history as he looks to have several more productive seasons as an offensive forward. While there isn't much else to speak of in his game, raw skill of being able to score points for the Syndicate is an invaluable skill. Trying to fill those shoes would be a tall order.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

I'm going to go through teams by memory:

Baltimore you would think is fairly easy, Bojo Biscuit is a good choice, as is Beaujeaux the goalie. However, this is a team with a rich history, and a lot of great players over the years. I'd say Alex Reay and Brandon Holmes become possibilities here. My end choice is Alex Light, though, for what I'd say are obvious reasons with his longevity and impact.

Buffalo being a younger team means it's going to be a bit more difficult to nail down a one and only best player. They're a great team with a lot of great players, but I would venture to say Alexis Metzler is the easiest pick.

Chicago is even younger, and while Luke Atmey was amazing, he didn't have that long of a life in Chicago. I would put it on somebody currently on the team, Daniel Smeb, who has really broken out in recent seasons.

Hamilton is fairly easy to me, but may not be to others. Some may go with someone like Rider Clitsome, or Griffin Simons. Maybe you're swayed by longevity and like David Winter. Maybe you like the high impact of a Brodie Witzel. To me, the answer is easily Joe McKeil however. He had the longevity and the scoring touch where he had the biggest impact in the league's shift to long careers where you can maintain a level of success.

Manhattan is pretty easy in that Roy Razin is the best player, Harry Hans was the best goal scorer. At the rate things are going though, Luke Thomason is guaranteed to become the franchise's all time best scorer and I see no reason he won't be the best player in franchise history at the end of his career.

New England could be a fun one, because do you go to someone like Carter O'Callahan who had a big impact early on in his career? Maybe the consideration should go to Mia Landvik who had a long career in a tough role. I'd ultimately give the nod to Jasper Clayton, in terms of overall impact on the team, but there are many options there.

Tampa Bay, which used to be Seattle, was ran for a while by the McZehrl family and by Merica. Dustin Rose was one of their best ever. I'd say at this point, Flacko Lagerfield was significant for them in terms of success which he was the primary driving force of. I'm a big supporter of Lagerfield being their best ever.

Toronto is another fun one. Do you go for someone like a Mike Honcho, who to me is one of the greatest goalies of all time still. Maybe you should consider someone like John Falkirk, but he wasn't really memorable to most. They've had a lot of great players, but the obvious choice is the correct one in Kristian Eriksson.

Calgary falls under a similar area as Toronto, except in this one I'll actually side away from the expectation of going Esa Anrikkanen, who has stiff competition between people like Kari Barkov, Mike Verminski, Ryan Jesster, Hunter Wong, Alex Mack and so on. The guaranteed best player in Calgary history is Randy Randleman. He won awards, he led the league, he was the standout guy. While Esa was consistently great, a hall of fame player, Randleman was consistently special and did something above and beyond many others.

Edmonton, well, I have a vested interest here. I'd love to say Jakub Aittokallio is the best player ever there, but let's just be honest here, I can't guarantee that. Theo Kane was one of the best pure snipers in SHL history. Jay McDonald and Evgeni Karpotsov were legitimately special. Kyle Keenan and Lucas Smith and Teemu Nurmi and Jackson Rogers-Tanaka. I could go on and on about this team and I haven't even hit on the Hercules Rockefeller, Tuck brothers or Tony Pepperoni. A lot of great talent has been here, and I just can't even make up my mind. So I'll settle on choosing myself, but it's really a toss up.

Los Angeles is a difficult one, because realistically they've had a lot more of an up and down, and the players they had who played long term didn't win there. I could go a meme route and say Fabian Fuhrberg, the inactive goalie who got hot and won them the Cup in S17, upsetting me greatly. I think I'll just pick Valterri Bottas. He was a great defenseman, and someone who actually comes to mind from LA that doesn't make me think of another team they then went to.

Minnesota is fairly easy. They had some great players over the years, that Zach Miller guy was pretty cool, Niclas Wastlund was a good defenseman. Brandon Sawyer is my personal favorite and someone I would pick all day, every day. However, this ultimately comes down to a much newer breed and falls between Lord Pretty Flacko or Alonzo Garbanzo, and I think you know the right answer is the bean man.

New Orleans is another that's a very new franchise, and so I'm going to say their best player ever is still playing there and his name is Nicholas Williams. Plain and simple for me.

San Francisco Pride ... umm, well. Can I abstain? This one is the toughest to me, because the franchise has been in so much flux. I will go with the person I think the fans would love the most -- Steven Moyer.

Texas is such an interesting one. They've had some great players pass through, but the best of them all can be tricky. Liam Kinsler was an amazing player in his day. I'd say ultimately it goes to Elias Armia, the guy was an absolute animal and put up over 80 points in a season at one point. He could go with the best of them.

Winnipeg this one is the ultimate debate. Is it Ron Mexico? Is it Jason Visser? Does it fall to John McBride, Lauris Prikulis? Is there anyone who could even come close to these people's level? The answer to the last question is no, at least to my eye. The battle is difficult, and ultimately it's going to be the same way as with Edmonton. They're all so great, I'm just going with my gut and making the more selfish choice, because I can't say any choice is right or wrong between these guys. Ron Mexico is the greatest player of all time, and is therefore the greatest Jet of all time.

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

Being a part of the Calgary Dragons, there have been so many great players that it feels bad to narrow it down to only one, but if you have to pick the GOAT of the franchise, it would obviously be Esa Anirakkanen. Not only is he the greatest player to play for the Dragons, the case could be made that he is the greatest of all time in the entire league. This man had an incredible career, I'll compare him to greats across the league, not just the Dragons. 1458 games played, absolutely crushing the 2 guys tied for 2nd at 1208. He has 514 goals just barely edging out Kristian Erikssons 489. One of only 2 players in league history to eclipse 1000 points, and as I said, these are comparing him to all SHL players regardless of team. If we were to compare him to just the Dragons, his dominance would be even greater. Because of these stats he is the greatest Dragon to ever pull on the jersey.

[Image: Bk1689.gif]

The obvious GOAT for Buffalo is Alexis Metzler (@Avakael). According to the Franchise Records page in SHL History, Metzler holds the Buffalo records for games played, points, assists, hits, PIM, and shots blocked. That is outstanding. In fact he is 3rd in shots blocked and 9th in assists in all of SHL history. There is simply no other case for the best, especially when you consider that he amassed all those points as a defenseman. Marius has the goals record, but he is a forward. Metzler is a Hall of Fame player who did it all for Buffalo during his tenure, including being captain for 14 seasons. There is no face of the franchise like this man. Even the latest crop of all-star D that are tearing up the league this season in Cassius Darrow and Poopity Scoop will have to bust their asses to be on the same level as Metzler.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2020, 08:05 PM by O4L.)

if I were to do the Dragons I'd argue for people like Kain Webb or Ryan Jesster and flex my boomer league history knowledge, since everyone else would argue newer players. The Syndicate are a relatively new team so the pool of players to pick from is a lot smaller. The main candidates for this would be Luke Atmey, Cameron Carter II, Daniel Smeb with HMs to Martijn Westbroek, Jack Kennedy, and Tibuk Soonika.

The things you have to consider with this is how dominant they were in the era they played in, and try to avoid directly comparing the STHS era to the FHM inflation era. I think overall CC2 is the GOAT Chicago Syndicate, due to the length that he's consistently had success, the individual award success he's had, and with the ability to produce anywhere in the line-up it's hard to make a case against him. The Syndicate record books have him 2nd in scoring with 345 points, 1st in goals with 163, 1st in hits with 1384, 1st in shots with 1487, and he's also won two Dars since joining the team. This season he's been in a 3rd line role with no PP time and has 22 goals, which is 3rd in the league. He was incredibly consistent in STHS and has been even more consistent in FHM, despite regressing. CC2 = Chicago GOAT.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

Right now, I'd give the 'GOAT' of the Hamilton Steelhawks to Jason Visser - a nearly 950 point player during his time in Hamilton - however, as a defensemen, something has always bothered me. That is, there is not enough credit is given to players on DEFENSE.

This is why I am preemptively declaring Gabe Johnson @Gwdjohnson as the future GOAT defender to ever suit up for Hamilton - Gabe was an integral piece to the Steelhawks S51 and S53 championships, and finished in top 5 Defensive scoring in S53 and S54 (2nd and 4th). His offensive numbers have dropped off a bit this year, but Gabe cannot be overlooked as a potential GOAT - there is a reason he has multiple All-Star nominations. If his offensive production doesn't pick up this season, it surely will next year - not that it matters, because Gabe is most certainly the best 2 way defender on the Steelhawks - perhaps the best .. of all time.

Well I haven't had the honor of playing with him but I do share a locker room with this standout player. I choose Tony Pepperoni as the franchise player of the Edmonton Blizzard. Why? Well before I jump into the stats this man puts up season after season, lets talk about his leadership on the ice and especially in the locker room. Always there present to help out with any issues a player may have whether it being on a professional or personal level.

If that was not enough, Tony produces at an elite level, posting a 20 goal campaign in S47 as a 3rd year veteran and then followed that up with a 25 goal production S49 and again with another 25 goal campaign in S51 where he also eclipsed the 60 point plateau by a fair margin finishing the year with 66 points and +23.

S52 was a down year but came back strong in S53 with 24 goals and 57 points with a +24 to his credit. Like a good wine, Tony gets better with age, S54 he makes another leap in points as he sets career highs in goals (27) and points (74) while registering an eye popping 209 shots on goal.

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

[Image: ObfKyW0.png]

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

The Chicago Syndicate’s forward, Cameron Carter II, also known as CC2, JODAN or the PRIME MEAT HORSE, is the SHL’s undisputed, greatest player of all time. CC2 has shown time and time again that he is willing to put his body on the line in order to win at all costs. His style of play has paid off tremendously as he has won multiple DAR trophies along with being amongst the top goal leaders each season. It doesn’t take much for you to see that he is the most elite player the SHL has ever seen and ever will see. The man is simply the pinnacle of hockey. Not only that, but he has also proven to be a master at contract negotiations, and there is likely a future in player agencies should he see fit. CC2 introduced the highly coveted “10 by 10” contract which aims to maximize a player’s earnings with the short lifespan of a career in professional sports. As you can tell from my short excerpt, Cameron Carter II is in a tier of his own when comparing the best players to have ever played in the SHL. He is strong, smart, sexy, and embodies the true meaning of reaching your full potential as a person and as an athlete.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

In terms of both statistics and overall impact on the franchise, my major league team (the Buffalo Stampede) has an obvious leader in Alexis Metzler. Going down the career statistics (of which almost all of, if not all of are with Buffalo), Metzler leads in sheer volume save maybe goals. He was a great playmaker, certainly effected himself as a two-way player, and had all special teams scoring categories (including short-handed points), though I think it’s a bit more difficult to dissect his advanced stats. It’d be hard to compare if only because we’ve had different sim engines since Metzler started playing. But there’s little doubt in terms of statistics that he’s the best of the best. You can make an argument for some current players, particularly because Buffalo is one of the best-performing teams at present, but none have the same legacy that Metzler has as the face of the Buffalo franchise for longer than I’ve known this league existed.

[Image: qgldMOE.png]
Thanks @Amidships!