Create Account

Petition to Remove Polarizing Questions from PTs

03-27-2024, 12:20 PMscudmuffin19 Wrote: Not really, considering it's all in the same category of trigger issues. Do what you want and ask what you want when scouting. That's your time to ask questions to identify if the player is the perfect LR fit for your team. The league's job with this survey should stop just before that.

I think there's reason to have the question asked in the Interested Prospects activity since the task is meant to ask some of the most common questions that scouts will have, as well as specialty questions from the GMs. Some questions are angled at morality and ethics, most are to give scouts and GMs something to talk about as an introduction. All of the teams use all or most of the questions. On that grounds, if 75% of the teams are willing to put someone on a DND because they answered ANY question so unfavorably, I'd say it's a useful question to the scouting process.

While the questions of politics, race, ethnicity, and creed can provoke similar discomfort to those of sexuality and gender, in this case there is enough difference that I don't think there's cause for concern that the questions would expand to those areas. So much of the weight behind wanting to filter out homophobes and transphobes is rooted two-fold; first is in the NHL's failure to the LGBTQIA+ community in how it has handled it and its opponents, and the second is the relative prominence of people who identify as part of the LGBTQIA+ community in our league. The visibility of the argument makes it a subject that's a lot easier to filter; "Would you wear a hypothetical Pride Night jersey" is easier to get across than something to filter out the racists and faithists. I'm sure if there was an influx of such people, we'd have a BLM-type question in the survey since more people would be asking. If we'd had IP threads following this format 4 years ago, at the height of those protests, there would more than likely have been such a question.

In the end, though, it does require the people asking the questions to have a strong ethical and moral intention against practicing harsher discrimination. I see where that might be an issue down the road. Until there's a way to guarantee that moral fiber isn't a strong determining point to having a fun and safe league and experience, we have to trust the people running the show to not discriminate and to call out when those harsher practices are suggested.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Messages In This Thread
RE: Petition to Remove Polarizing Questions from PTs - by _Blitz_ - 03-27-2024, 04:15 PM