Create Account

Petition to Remove Polarizing Questions from PTs
(This post was last modified: 03-27-2024, 12:57 PM by sköldpaddor. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hey! So I thought it would be good if somebody gave a good faith answer to this rather than getting all riled up.

As you undoubtedly know, the pride jersey question is Nevada's. It's there because it does some screening for me, as many have mentioned. But it is our question. Other people are welcome to draft whoever they want, that question is there because it's a very important issue for me as a queer person and as someone who's looking to build an environment where queer people can feel safe.

I am not looking for fawning, over the top answers on that question. The "I will wear the jersey and bring four more of my own from home that I'll sign and dedicate my life to the cause" answers are great, but all I am looking for is a signal that the person answering the question is not so disgusted by the existence of queer people that they won't even pretend to wear a pretend jersey for pretend warmups. "Sure" is a totally fine answer. "I am militantly averse to rainbow capitalism but I will support the cause in another way" is also a totally fine answer but I haven't seen that one yet.

I would never, ever add a "what are your political beliefs" question because this isn't about politics at all! Being queer is not in any way a political statement, and I don't think wanting to provide a welcoming environment for queer people is a political statement either. This is me, as a queer woman who has existed in sports spaces for more than a decade now, using a question in this teeny little niche internet corner, to try and make sure that my little micro-community is the kind of place that queer people can feel safe. That's really all there is to it. People don't have to be over the top. They don't have to wax poetic about how much they love gay people. All I am looking for is the bare minimum of "does not hate gay people so much that they don't want to have to acknowledge our existence."

In conclusion, if I have to make some homophobes feel unwelcome to make queer people feel safe, that is a deal I will make any day of the week. I hope this helps - the question isn't there to give me reasons to make fun of people, it's genuinely there so that I can see any immediate glaring red flags. And if it helps by showing other LGBTQ+ folks who's absolutely not a safe person, that's just an extra perk.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Messages In This Thread
RE: Petition to Remove Polarizing Questions from PTs - by sköldpaddor - 03-27-2024, 12:55 PM