Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

Prompt 1:

Usually I don't like to be the main guy on the team. I tend to be a team player and a support. However there is a trick play that could potentially work that involves me.  You see, as a male deer, I have something that not very many people have and that's antlers. And sometimes during games, as they do with all deer, they can get quite itchy.  There's actually things here, and they don't have to be done at the same time, but would be awesome if it did.  Hockey players are strong enough to stay up when being pushed around, so why not help out the itch by rubbing on the other players? So what if they're trying to defend in front of their goal, its only a little nudge, and there's nothing in the rules saying I can't do that.  Another thing could be that as I'm in the front of the net sometimes, maybe I can possibly bring my head down and redirect the puck with my antlers. Pucks cannot be kicked in, but the can certainly be redirected by the head....or antlers.

[Image: SS.png]                                        [Image: image0.png?width=268&height=375]                                        [Image: ACapSiege1.png?width=500&height=362]

Evgeni Petrov has the perfect plan for fixing the game of hockey. Give every player on the rink a sword. Just imagine how much more interesting the sport would be if every disagreement was solved with a sword fight. Everyone’s seen the two players punch the crap out of each other during a fight, but a full on duel will be amazing with their personal honor on the line as well as ya know, not getting stabbed by a sword. People like violence, it’s a natural draw, and if they can watch it without feeling guilty its even better for viewership numbers. The other plan will be goalies are legally allowed to do whatever they want on the rink, excluding murder. The sight of your goalie joining the rush on a 3 on 2 to really give your team that extra boost will surely drive people to the games to witness what the actual hell is going on in hockey.

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

Prompt 1

The trick play I’m about to reveal is really really simple. It has a 100% win rate guaranteed and can be easy at times to pull off. It requires cooperation, teamwork and skill to successfully execute and the players involved must be dedicated and committed to it. Any team that has pulled this strategy off has won their games, from preseason to most important, and this strategy has won teams the grand prize, a Challenge Cup, every single time. This tactic will need meticulous and careful practicing, it needs to be planned well beforehand, but the hard work and effort pays off in the end as teams see the benefit to this strategy. It’s been one of the oldest in the book, one that has stood the test of time. It’s called scoring more goals than your opponent. How you do that, is completely up to you. But just score more. And you’ll win. Trick play!

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

While not present in every game, I would guess fun trick plays are a lot more common in today's game than back in the day. Hockey generally seems like a much faster paced, much higher skill sport than it used to be. Not suggesting the old legends weren't great hockey players, but things have really changed and creativity has almost become a necessity in some circumstances. It seems like players are more willing to take some risks with new things, and sometimes they're pleasantly surprised by the outcome. One of the more recent examples that comes to mind is Trevor Zegras' flip pass over the top of the net to Milano in a game against the Sabres that resulted in a goal. Dude (and I'm sure everyone else there) was shocked the play worked, but it's cool that he took a shot at doing something unique on the off chance it might work. Another recent fun one that isn't really a "trick" play per se but moreso an exciting/cool moment is when McDavid deked past four Rangers to score a goal. Think we can expect to see more fun plays like this as hockey continues to grow.

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid, swoosh and eni for sigs! <3

Prompt #2

I think the concept of Trick Plays in hockey is interesting.  When the truth is, there are lots of measures that prevent them from ever happening.  I think rather than trick plays we see things that are often unusual or simply creative.  You cannot hide the puck like you can in other sports, and that is a huge element to trick plays.  As well, the playing surface is only so big with players occupying most of the space during the game.  But I do love unexpected plays, think Zegras in the NHL this year, or heck, even Sean Avery reverse screening a goalie (not a huge fan of Avery, but it was unexpected).  Or watching a centreman win a face-off directly into the opponents goal when in the offensive end, or specifically banking the puck off the back of a skater or a goalie to score from an unthinkable angle.  Regardless, I can't actually think of the last "trick" play I have seen in the NHL, maybe it is time for Ducks to fly together

[img=0x0]https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/889201044154904606/1150524829653536909/mikko.png?ex=65bff03f&is=65ad7b3f&hm=7f3229285f883239ca6017785e905ed3ff0a8b42b94f57638f43c11a5e635414&[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/4028.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5431.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5570.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7241.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/5906.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/6149.png[/img][img=0x0]https://simulationhockey.com/tradingcards/7950.png[/img]

Trick plays absolutely have a spot in the sport of hockey, and really in any sport. Especially, at the professional levels, teams you are playing against will be aware of the plays that you have practiced and know how you operate for the most part. In order to give yourself an advantage on the ice, you have to spice it up every now and again and show them some flashes of something they aren't expecting. Not only does it make them less certain of every single one of your next moves for quite a while, but trick plays can also give you the tiniest edge that could lead to a goal or perhaps a penalty. When you really boil it down to the core, hockey is as much a mental and intelligent game as it is a somewhat violent and skillful one. You can't win without being smart, and you have to be smart enough to play mind tricks on your opponents by pulling some trick plays if you want to have much success in the league. (177)

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

Prompt One

All right, coach, here's what we will do this time around to trick the other players. First off, we need one forward going crazy hard on the net and hoping to distract the other goalie. We just need to scare them, we won't touch them cause we know what happen when we touch the other team's goalie. Just skate really close and make sure we dont touch them. As soon as the first forward went, we send another, so we scare them even more and they start to be confuse about what the fuck is happening. Still no touching. Third stop will be the last forward going HARD at the net. Same deal. Then, we ask both defensemen to skate backward into the other team's zone as if they were defending, but they wont, they are just there to confuse them. Lastly, i get the puck and i shoot it at the net, ok i'll be a bit far, but with all the shit going around i think we have a high chance of scoring.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

ISFL PT

Hockey Prompt:

I think it's a combination of factors. First of all, I think it's a coach thing. Let's take the exact opposite situation: empty net plays. Like the simplest thing in the world. Some coaches hate when their players take shots at the net and risk icing. Some coaches say "go for it." I think it's kind of the same thing: if a player could attempt a "trick play" like a lacrosse move with a high risk of failure, some coaches will probably tell them not to try it. They would prefer if their players make the less risky play. 

A second factor that goes into it is definitely skill. Most players can't do those tricks while playing at the speed the game is played. It's only the most skilled that even consider it, but oftentimes a better play presents itself. I obviously don't know, but I feel like the skilledplayers have super quick calculations in their heads like poker players where they know what chance of success something will happen as it unfolds. If they don't want o risk it, they'll hang back and if the opening is there, they may take it.

The last factor is ego/ revengeful people that get embarrassed by skill. See Jay Beagle. Nobody wants to get assaulted because they try it. 

(217 WC)

[Image: DqlVneu.png][Image: FVlMRDN.png][Image: q30YniK.png]

Credit to enigmatic, Merica, and tweedledunn for sigs

(This post was last modified: 04-08-2022, 10:18 AM by CrazyMojito.)

Hockey Prompt

I don't know how I feel about trick plays in hockey, the Ted Nolan example that was provided just feels like it goes against the spirit and breaks the integrity of the game. The goalie absolutely has to make the save there and trick plays aren't a sure thing but to me it just feels wrong. A lot of hockey executives probably agree with me because you really just don't see that sort of stuff. Look at the outrage from something like the Michigan being performed. You got people saying its okay to pummel players and smash their faces for showboating. Maybe I'm just not creative enough (writing prompt 2 after all...) but I just don't know how you come up with trick plays that doesn't involve skill from the players. I really do like how the game has shifted to more skill based and you see some of the players actual talent start to shine. Goalies have been getting so good lately too that you do need to come up with ways to trick them just to score.

[Image: CrazyMojitoSHL.gif]
Canada Blizzard Stars Citadelles Citadelles Stars Blizzard Canada 
[Image: d9J5DHT.png][Image: 16PgOBm.png]

Prompt 2

Honestly I think this is a pretty simple question to answer. The biggest reason that there aren't any trick plays in the NHL is because of the speed of the game. In the Ted Nolan clip that you referenced, I am 99% certain that game was played on a larger European ice surface. In the NHL, where the ice surface is much narrower, space disappears so quickly for players with the puck. I watched the Buffalo Sabres versus Carolina Hurricanes game last night and buffalo could barely have possession of the puck for half a second in the third period without a Carolina player being right in their face. That kind of constant pressure, plus with the league history of defense winning championships, particularly during the Dead Puck era, leads to most coaches wanting to play a defensively responsible game first, which in turn leads to no time or space for offensive creativity.

I think "trick plays" in general don't really pop up into the league anymore because of what was stated in the prompt, the reward is for the most part not really worth the risk. The way hockey is played has changed so much over the past few decades that it gets extremely difficult to pull some of these moves off. The defensemen in the league now, even the worst ones, are arguably better than many defensemen that played "back in the day." Defensemen are trained to be ruthless and not let up on players more so than ever now. I do think that we will start to see a little more creativity like the lacrosse goal come into play as the superstars in the league are getting younger and younger now, and as the boomer generation of "THAT'S NOT HOCKEY!!!! >:(" begins to settle down and accept the change. All I can say for sure is I love to see the new creative plays an can't wait to see what the future holds.

WC: 175

[Image: lPQWyve.png?ex=662bf46d&is=66197f6d&hm=a...dd3527ca4&]

Code:
Prompt 2

I really do think that trick plays should have a place in hockey despite what some people may think. I find that things like the lacrosse goal are very exciting, and it is not like they are exactly that easy to pull off. I think that some people have argued that goals like this are an embarrassment, but I would have to say to that, if you do not want to be embarrassed, then just do not let it happen! Like, if you do not want to be shown up on the ice, then you have to be better. With proper defense these types of trick plays can be stopped, so I think it is pointless to try to regulate them out of the game. If not, you would end up with some weird very specific rules just to prevent these things from happening. So in all, I do support having these kinds of plays in the sport.

[S78] #14 C | Jon Garfield
[SMJHL] Regina Elk

[S58] #72 LD | Shion Okamoto
[SMJHL] Newfoundland Berserkers | Former Captain | S60, S62 Four Star Cup
[SHL]   Chicago Syndicate | S64 Challenge Cup
[IIHF]  Team Japan | S60 Gold

https://worldsimbasketball.jcink.net/ind...st&p=28089
(WSBL affiliate)

Quote:
Citadelles