Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

CREATIVE PROMPT - Coach spent all weekend watching four hour video essays on modern art and the necessity of boundary pushing in creative culture. They're pretty riled up! They call you in to the office to complain about how stale hockey is, and how they want to revolutionize the game with a signature trick play.

Written Task: What do you pitch to your coach to push the boundaries of the sport, and get people excited on the highlight reel? Get as creative as you want. Do you need props? Weeks of setup? YEARS of setup? Is it a plan to win the whole game, or just to score one beautiful goal? No holds barred. (150+ words)

Graphic Task: Show me the moment of the whole scheme paying off. I want to see when the play works exactly as planned, and how people are reacting to it. 

HOCKEY PROMPT- If you don't want to get wacky, then I have a question for you about the actual game of hockey. Do trick plays have a place in the sport?

Written Task:  We've all seen the lacrosse goals, the attempts to flick the puck over the back of the net and in-- but these are few and far between. It might even be a stretch to call those things "trick plays." The only actual trick play I can think of off the top of my head is Ted Nolan pulling one over on Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics. That said, you almost never see this kind of thing happen in the NHL. Why not? Is there a lack of creativity in the game? Is it just too complicated without enough payoff? Why do you think we don't see much of this coaching style in hockey, and would you like to see more of it? (150+ words).

Graphic Task:- Draw up an actual trick play! Give me the X's and O's on a rink layout and include why you think it would work!

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, April 10th at 11:59 EST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]
(This post was last modified: 04-09-2022, 03:07 PM by yosh. Edited 1 time in total.)

Answering for the Creative Prompt:

It's very simple but it will turn it up a notch quite a lot. Now, lacrosse. Canada's national summer sport. Why integrate it into a move for a team based in Seattle, Washington, and why is a Russian winger pitching this idea to his coach?

Well, very simple. When Vaseline Podcalzone was chilling in Seattle during the off-season instead of his native country, he ended up going to see a field lacrosse game somewhere out there, I don't know where. Either way, he recalled the michigan goal that he had seen players try to pull off in practice and in games, then the realization came to him: why don't they take it one step further?

Introducing: the lacrosse hockey pass. The puck carrier, will flick the puck to his stick, and carry it below the waist so it's not a high stick. They will then flick it to their teammate, making sure that the teammate can either receive the pass cleanly, or it lands on their teammate's stick, and they'll pull another pass to another teammate. It's ridiculous. It will likely lead to a ton of turnovers. But is it exciting? Absolutely.

Wc: 192

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

pt pass

Code:
Written Task:  We've all seen the lacrosse goals, the attempts to flick the puck over the back of the net and in-- but these are few and far between. It might even be a stretch to call those things "trick plays." The only actual trick play I can think of off the top of my head is Ted Nolan pulling one over on Team Canada at the 2014 Olympics. That said, you almost never see this kind of thing happen in the NHL. Why not? Is there a lack of creativity in the game? Is it just too complicated without enough payoff? Why do you think we don't see much of this coaching style in hockey, and would you like to see more of it? (150+ words).

Recently in the world of hockey, we have seen more "trick" or "fancier" type of goals scored such as the Michigan, Trevor Zegras lobbing the puck into the air and his teammate batting it in midair to score. These sort of plays help promote the game and get it viral on the internet. To be frank, hockey isn't the most glamorous or popular sport out there compared to other major sports such as football, basketball and soccer.

There was an incident where a hockey commentator was against these "skilled players showing up and scoring all these fancy goals" and how they should expect to be "punched in the mouth" if they continue to play like this. That is a very old-school mindset and is preventing the game of hockey from growing and evolving into so much more. 

Scoring goals is already tough enough as it is, if players are creative enough to find different ways to score that are legal than let them do it. 

(165 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2022, 05:29 AM by hockeyiscool. Edited 4 times in total.)

Happy Birthday @James Truong

Graphic submission hockey prompt: [Image: unknown.png]

This one is called the mosh pit. It is a play that works especially well in the offensive zone with prison rules and is situational on what music is playing. First off, you get all of the R's together on the same side and have them crash the net. Regardless of how the face-off goes the center takes a moment grease up their legs to put on their skinny pants then starts thrashing about in all directions...Whoever gets the puck throws it at the net and everyone on your team starts thrashing about summoning an emo kid who throws some sick signs that appeal to the other team causing them all to join in the thrashing about and losing control. The puck will eventually end up in the net. This would work well because the power of music and cause a sure goal. Risks include: Black Eyes, Broken Bones, being squashed, chance of performing wall of death. 
If you need to ask what songs work well for this situation then this play is not for you. 

[163 words]
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 12:12 AM by Valpix.)

HOCKEY PROMPT

I think part of the issue with trick plays is just hockey culture. This is a very topical prompt and I assume it's based on the recent NHL event earlier this week, when you had Jay Beagle going after Trevor Zegras and Troy Terry after they scored a lacrosse goal. Then you had the Arizona TV guy defending Beagle, even though flashy plays get eyes on your sport no matter which one it is, once again showing that the guys running the NHL culture are way out of touch. It also doesn't help that at the top level that whenever a coaching job opens up, it's usually the same few retreads or in-organization guys taking charge. There's very few new ideas coming into the league, and it almost feels like creativity is coached out of players by the time they reach the top level. Three on three OT and the shootout seem designed to try to showcase that skill, but now that coaches have figured out 3 on 3 it doesn't have the magic it had in the first couple seasons and has grown dull, while literally nobody likes the shootout anymore.

[Image: valpix.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @Symmetrik, @Merica, @enigmatic, and @sulovilen for the sigs! 
Avi courtesy of @MN_Moosey
[Image: d9J5DHT.png]
Citadelles Switzerland Stars Blizzard 
[Image: VGl3CB4.png]
[Image: valpixpride.gif]

Prompt 2:

Trick plays are a great part of several sports, but it's hard to define what, exactly, a "trick play" is. You know it when you see it, but can you really define it? To be a "trick" play, the move or combination of moves needs to be something unexpected and outside the norm of standard play, and if one works consistently, it will gradually become part of the game we expect to see, much like we no longer consider stolen bases in baseball or a run-pass option in football to be "trick" plays. One of the beautiful things about hockey as a sport is that mind games play out on the ice in just about every play. A deke from a skilled forward is designed to trick the goalie or defenseman just as much as a wind-up for a slapshot that ends up being a clever pass. The lacrosse-style goal from behind the net is only the latest trend (and has already been bested by the "fake lacrosse goal" with a second puck carrier taking the puck to the opposite side as the original shooter), and goalies are gradually learning how to position their bodies to stop it. Hockey is an incredibly tactical game, and the best part about it is watching new and exciting plays develop, and how teams adjust to stop them as the game continues to evolve.

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

04-04-2022, 12:01 AMleviadan Wrote: Written Task: What do you pitch to your coach to push the boundaries of the sport, and get people excited on the highlight reel? Get as creative as you want. Do you need props? Weeks of setup? YEARS of setup? Is it a plan to win the whole game, or just to score one beautiful goal? No holds barred. (150+ words)

I've come up with the most exciting change to happen to the sport of hockey since the forward pass. A common complaint amongst the filthy casuals is that they can't see the puck. At the same time the long-time fans aren't seeing enough scoring. Well I have the solution to solve both problems at the same time with one easy fix.

Two pucks.

That's right, why stop at just one puck in play at a time when you could double the action and double the goals by doubling the puck? This simple and elegant solution will increase the offense for the hard core fans while also providing twice the opportunity to see the puck for the muggles.

I have approached my coach and have his full support in advancing this initiative all the way to the top of the league. I would appreciate it if we could get the full weight of the league behind this movement by spreading the hashtag for full awareness. #2pucks1cup

[ 170 words ]

[Image: yyo9APg.gif]

(This post was last modified: 04-04-2022, 01:55 AM by jzkitty21. Edited 1 time in total.)

Hockey

Trick plays are not a thing. It's called smart rule interpretations. The subbing people to get breakaways is a smart as hell and not a trick. There isn't any deception, same with skills such as the Michigan or what Zegras did. Skills are the closest thing to "trick" plays. Things like dekes trick the opponent. Knowing how to bend the rules to where they dont break is a massive skill and one that i wish more coaches would use. Junior Johnson of NASCAR basically wrote the rulebook for them with all of the crazy shit he did back in the day. Knowing the rules in such ways are known in baseball, soccer, football, basketball, but not hockey. And that fact makes me super sad because those moments are great as everyone collectively goes "wait are they allowed to do that what the hell?" and the realization that they got away with it is so satisfying. unless it happens to your team.

(words 163)

Creative prompt

The cool new trick play that will make hockey more exciting for everyone is what I like to call the slot machine. Before even describing this play to the coach, I will have to describe why such a name exists for the play. To make the game more exciting we need to introduce some gambling mechanics. Humans love when the result of something is inconsistent and unexpected, so to capitalize on this, we will design a play where nobody knows what will happen, not even the players themselves. The play begins with all five players lining up at the offensive zone blue line. One of the players closest to the boards will have the puck and pass it down parallel to the line. The remaining four players on the line will spin their sticks in a windmill like fashion, with one of them eventually making a perfect slapshot towards the net. Nobody knows which player will happen to connect with the puck on any given play so everyone in the building will always be on their toes.

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate

So yeah, this morning Coach told us that he spent a whole bunch of hours watching videos on how to increase the amount of special trick plays that we can fit in a game of hockey to catch the other team off guard; well at least that is what he said. In reality, the majority of the team believes that he really just fell asleep at the end of Happy Gilmore and probably dreamt about that scene and hockey, and now we have to come up with a cool Rube Goldberg-esque trick play by the end of practice this week or we double the practice time next week. And after a bunch of trial and error, Coach was finally pleased with a play we titled after a hockey comedy movie instead... and we came up with "The Goon". It starts with the puck on our side, we pass back to our goalie who slapshots its full speed of the left wall crossing the ice into the right-wing sprinting full speed for the puck to perfectly deflect off the straight-pointing skate into the center's stick for the goal. It has a 15% success rate which is good enough for us, and most importantly good enough for Coach!

Code:
206 Words

Did Ya Get It?

[Image: OwNf3O9.gif]

Hockey task:

Trick plays has a place in sport but because speed, tempo and attitude are so high level in hockey games, you just don't have usually enough space and time to pull some special moves unless you have really practised some magic moves beforehand many times against weaker players in lower divisions or amateur games. You need to have some kind of success from trick plays from those kind of lower level games before you can try them on tough league called Simulation Hockey League which is highest hockey level on earth. I think most top teams in the SHL work pretty syncronized as a five-man units so if you manage to past one opponent, then another comes immediately and steals the puck from you. We need to remember puck moves faster than human being. That's why it is not usually relevant to pull any extra moves because it hurts your success as a five-man unit if somebody holds on puck too long. That is the reason we don't see those moves so often and to be honest, it is totally fine for me. Hockey is a team sport above all.

[Image: salming.png]

pt pass

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Hockey prom

In general I do have an understanding of why the creativity in this sport is so minimalistic, but at the same time I really have no clue. Like the Ted nolan clip from the 2014 olympics was magnificent and flawless in execution, and I wish that something similar would occur on top of the countless lacrosse goals we've seen recently. One thing to keep in mind is that how hockey is being played in general, there really is not enough room for creative work outside of the game plan and tactics prepared by the coaching staff, and that is what keeps players from doing crazy stuff like that.

Given the opportunity to be as creative as a player would love himself to be hurts the overall tactics. When basicly nothing is agreed on beforehand, by that I mean from the tactical perspective, you really cannot witness proper hockey - just some random craziness that we have been used to seeing on an outdoors hockey game at the local rink

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

Trick plays are a part of every game and they deserve a lot of credit. If you think about it, trick plays either require a lot of "homework", meaning a lot of tries during practice so that the play gets perfect before being introduced on the ice in a competitive game, or it requires a certain player to have a lot of skill to be able to pull it off. And that skill is not only in a physical or technical way, but also mental, as you need to be really strong mentally if you are going to pull some trick play on game 7 of the playoffs.
But come on, who does not love a player tricking everyone by lifting the puck over the keeper, or a giant nutmeg on an opponent who then loses track of the puck and only sees it again on the back of the net?
Great players pull this off, and the crows certainly loves it.

(162 words)