Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

WSBL PT

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

Because you've been watching baseball pre-season lately, you have this crazy idea, where someone flips the puck to you - and you one-time it like you're swinging for the fences. You keep trying this at practice, and people learn really quickly that it's not quite the same as trying to get a home run for baseball. This is more like doing line drives. People also learn really quickly to duck out of the way because getting hit by a puck at roughly head height hurts a lot. You also learn to keep your stick down because otherwise you'd get called for a high stick. However, you keep practicing it, and eventually you're pretty good at this, and you decide to unleash it in a game. On the powerplay you set up at the point, your partner flips the puck up, and you surprise everyone, managing to get the puck past the goalie.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

Have you ever gone to the circus, and sometimes a dog rides on the back of an elephant? And then maybe does a little trick on the elephants back? In the hockey world - Melvin is becoming the moose, and Adelie de Pengu is the dog. While on the ice together, Melvin will begin skating around, and at some point steal Adelie's hockey stick. With both sticks sitting in the crook of his antlers, Melvin will lower his head just right so that Adelie can slide on the ice, gain some speed, and make his way up the hockey sticks and onto Melvin's back. At this point, Melvin will give the sticks to Adelie who will proceed to flap with them, as a penguin does. While this does absolutely nothing to accomplish the goal of getting the hockey puck themselves, the opposing team is so terrified of the mooseguin monstrosity that is loudly squawking and bellowing in their direction, that they just flee, leaving the rest of the team to come in and grab the puck and score.

[Image: 66168_s.gif]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

WSBL PT

[Image: blasoon.gif]

So first off I would love to see the creativity of trick plays in hockey. I think it would be pretty neat to see from time to time and I’d love to see what these coaches can come up with. The reason I don’t think you see it in the sport very much is it seems like any trick play you could think of would be a very high risk type of play. The sport is already fast pace and can be very unpredictable and adding the planning and execution of trick plays along with line changes etc getting one to work would be difficult. I do think it’s possible though, but probably on a small scale. Maybe not the whole team trying something but something between two players could work. I wouldn’t say they don’t belong in the sport of hockey just that trying them and having them work is too unpredictable and not reliable. Maybe if you’re down by a lot but if you have a chance to win without them I say stay away.

(183)

WSBL Affiliate

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Okay so hear me out. The michigan/lacrosse goal or whatever you wanna call it, why is it only used behind the net? I'd bring it up to the coach that we need to start utilizing that piece of brilliance elsewhere on the ice. There's a movie out there called the mighty ducks, you may have seen it. But in that movie they use a move called the flying V where the players skate in a V formation and the backmost player is carrying the puck. What I am saying is, why not use the move with the michigan and have the player carry the puck up in the air on their stick while their teammates surround him and block players from getting to him. Then he just skates in and pokes his stick into the net past the goalie. A true lacrosse style goal. I think it would work a grand total of once before teams found a way to stop it though, but that one time would be glorious!

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

The reason we don't see plays like this manifest themself in the league often, is because the risk is so much higher than the reward. A team -- by developing a trick play to pull the wool over other teams eyes -- opens themselves up usually to a counter attack or a team taking advantage of the play not going as planned. This means that is more likely that the team will not benefit from this play as much as they will lose out. There is also another major factor. That the league is generally an old boys league. If you fail to make a trick play work, the pundits, analysts, and other coaches and GM's will ridicule you or talk about what a dumb idea it was. When it works it is rarely talked about but when it doesn't, everyone talks about it. It's a never ending news cycle (like when Torts went on a tirade about Zegras trying the Michigan all the time)

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

WSBL PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

One athletic revolution that hasn't left my head since its inception in 2002 is slamball. The modified game of basketball has a series of trampolines on each half court so that players can fly high and slam into each other (and dunk, too, i guess). My ankles are too weak in real life, and Julio's ankles are too weak in the SHL-verse, so the opportunity to play slam-ball misses me in both universes.

My SHL trickery that I would set up is a replacing the certain boards with rubber. The home team would know where the good bounces are going to come from and will be able to carom shots accordingly. The team in the know will be able to set up big break out plays. things could be taken a step further with a "faulty stanchion" where a deep puck that looks like its going to rim around to X will hit a bump and deflect towards the middle to a streaking Julio/player with higher speed.

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

Picture this. Your Goalie has just saved a beast of a shot from the other team because your left defender fell asleep on the play, he skates up to the defender and starts jawing with him then throws a wild right hook which the defender ducks out from. Shaken, the 3 forwards come back to try and break up the fight and a bit of a scuffle ensues. With it being between team mates the referees don't step in.
The opposition has no idea what is going on, but are all enthralled by this dumb ass team in fighting. So much so that they don't see the second defender casually skating up the ice. What's that? He has the puck? He's got a straight run to the goal with just the Goalie to beat, the Goalie is also enthralled by the goings on in the other side of the ice. All of a sudden the goal horn goes off. The specters are all laughing and no longer fighting. The other team are bamboozled. Nikolaj Boyle scores the easiest goal of his life

[Image: Hockeymans.gif]
[Image: E8Qr7c5.gif]
Sigs by: Rum Ham, Orbiting Death x2, Enigmatic & Kyamprac

SMJHL Simmer PT Pass

[Image: MWJDjbu.png]
[Image: 183de87f8b7c0453e0172c60380f5739.png]

Prompt Two

We need more trick plays in hockey! I think the reason we do not see them very often is because of all the moving pieces and randomness that exist in the game. You see trick plays quite a bit in baseball and that is because that game is basically math. Everything is broken down to a degree that thinking outside the box will generally catch people off guard. In hockey, even the best laid plan could completely fail to come together because the puck hit a seam in the glass and bounced the totally opposite way. When it come to the stuff like lacrosse goals, we need all we can get. Hockey, to an outsider, looks like dudes smashing into each other. Those bright spots of pure skill draw people into the game. Trick plays and hot dog moves are fun and sports are meant to be fun, too. Hockey takes itself far too seriously most of the time.
(159)

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

(This post was last modified: 04-09-2022, 10:27 AM by micool132. Edited 2 times in total.)

CREATIVE PROMPT -

It is time for the Atlantage Infernoge to revolutionise the sport of hockey with a bang. This scheme might take weeks, months, or even years to setup but they are gonna change hockey forever. For milleniums, the goal of hockey, the philosophies of the frozen turd puck, the mental gymnastics of the ice skating sticky rubber piece push was to make the opponent team score less goal than your team. This resulted in dry play where defense won championship. We are gonna flip this over in Atlantage. Now, the goal of the game will be to score more goals than the opponents. Offensive will take the place and in the futurge people will say "offense (like in atlantage) wins championships.  I sat down with the coaches @hotdog ge and @goldenglutes ge and they laughed at me. They said what's the difference and called me an idiot (toxic locker room btw). I said I will show you coach. Put me on the powerplay I will make a highlight play.  I will take the puck, put it in front of me and take some kind of golf swing at it and score. They call it the hole in one btw.  I'm then gonna yell I AM HAPPY, GIB MORE and probably pick up a fight with my teamate @Leppish ge.  Some guy in the stands will have a fake foam hand to replace the one he lost to a crocodile attack and hes gonna be my inspiration, just like @Gwdjohnson ge This is how we revolution hockey, with slapshot, I mean hole in one.

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Hockey Prompt:

Flashiness in the sport of hockey is something that is clearly admired and sought out because of its rarity and the skill it takes to pull off. In a sport where winning or losing can come down to a single action (one goal, one stop, one shot), teams have to be incredibly careful with the puck. Nobody wants to cost their team points by trying to be too flashy. With that being said, having a player who can pull those moves off can ignite a fan base, bring in new fans, and make their team a favorite to watch in the league.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the trick plays, crazy puck handling, and insane goals, and I would love to see more of it! I liken it a bit to the NBA, which has players consistently putting an emphasis on flashiness and entertainment. While the NBA overdoes it in my opinion, with players caring less about team results and more about individual brand, I think a happy medium between where the NHL is now and where the NBA is would be great!

[Image: CnPenxE.png]