Create Account

S46 PT #5 - Salary Cap Report

The New Orleans Spectors are the team I'll be looking at. Obviously, the first year team loaded up at the expansion draft and there were a lot of team friendly contracts signed so all these cool people could go and win a cup together. Roman Augustus and Joe K are two of the best players in the league year after year and could demand a king's ransom if they ever went to Free Agency. Of course, they won't, because they are the GM's. Another guy who took a paycut to stay in New Orleans is Alex Andani. Coming off a 5.5 million dollar contract, he'll make $3 million for the next few seasons. He was a little overshadowed this season and only finished with 17 points, but I'm sure he is a valuable locker room guy who is still young and should replace the scoring from the people they lose because they are unable to afford them.
(This post was last modified: 03-25-2019, 04:59 PM by StamkosFan.)

The legendary Jason Visser @ToeDragon84 for the Winnipeg Jets is taking a 3 million dollar strategy; this home town discount is egregious and an unbelieveable steal for the Winnipeg Jets. By comparison, this is the same amount second overall pick Ola Wagstrom is taking with his minimum salary, and Visser has nearly a thousand more TPE. Having over 1000 TPE more than Wagstrom at the current, and setting the all time TPE record with 2285 TPE earned at his high point, Visser should be resting on his laurels and raking in the big bucks. He should be making 6 or 7 million, like the deal Terrance Nova is locked into for the Minnesota Chiefs. On the Hamilton Steelhawks, Robert Phelps @DrunkenTeddy is also taking a massive pay cut. His 4 million salary is already a major discount, but it is set to decrease next season to 3 million. This is an outrageous bargain equal to Visser's, as Phelps is also one of the top centers in the SHL today.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

When I look at the Syndicates salary I mostly see good contracts. However, there is one contract that stands out as being so hideous, so over the top and so overpaid that I had to pick it. Daniel Smeb makes 1M this season. Some people may think this is in line or even an underpayment from what he deserves but if you really look at the contract you will see this is not the case. Daniel scored 20 points this season as a rookie and at first you may think that is a respectable number but he had 350 TPE and averaged 22 minutes per game while being stapled to 1600 tpe Luke Atmeys line all season while Syndicate fans were screaming to have the team send him down. This is like playing Drake Caggiula with Connor McDavid or Linden Vey with the Sedins, no shit they're gonna score. Daniel at 1M is a complete over payment.

Meanwhile, Parker Smeb doubled Daniels production by scoring 41 points while playing in the SMJHL, a league so tough to score in that people are questioning the notion that this is a junior league at all. The league has been called a "dead puck league" due to the fact they had 1 player over PPG while real junior hockey leagues generally have 30+, so the fact Parker managed to score over 40 points at all is amazing. Parker is a complete steal at 2M per season and experts say the money the Syndicate will be saving by cutting Daniel should be used to raise Parkers contract.

[Image: 57879_s.gif]
[Image: 37742_s.gif]
[Image: jov7Yk9.png]

"“HA HA! THIS GAME WILL NEVER END! I POSSESS THE SOUL OF EVERY GOALIE ON TEAM B!! CREW 4 LIFE!! SIGN WITH EDMONTON FOR THE CUP!!!” cackled Belial as he placed a Fedora on his head."
SMJHL Commisioner S17-S26
Calgary Dragons GM S14-S23

After coming off the highest point total of his career, Trevor Wilson signed a measly $3M contract for the next two seasons. This is well below what a 55 point and top 10 offensive player in the league should be signing for. A fair contract would be around $6m to $7M what he was making just a few seasons ago. With a contract like this WKP would be losing $4M in cap space making it quite tight financially as they are a cap team. Luckily for WKP a lot of players are coming off the books this season and negotiating contracts would take this into account. It would not have been too difficulty either to shed that salary as the inactive Yuriy Starkonov's $3M contract could have been shed and replaced with a more reasonable 500k inactive. Another overpriced inactive in Deku Izuku could also have been shed. This would still put pressure on the GM to do some shrewd negotiations with others. But, more realistically Wilson would have gotten the boot if he asked for that despite all he has done for the organization. $7M for a deeply regressing player may look like an atrocious contract after a few seasons.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

Let's just take a look, like everyone else, at our own team to start things out here. Specifically, there's one player that I think has shown the consistency and poise to deserve way more.

@39alaska39 has opened up his career with an absolutely astounding back-to-back 40 point seasons. The amount of players who have done that in the past 20 years in the league's history are few. Actually, it's one. Robert Phelps of Hamilton, who has never scored below 40 points in a season. It's a special kind of player to be able to do so well in that way, Alex Winters is a special kind of player. He's easily a $5,000,000 player and honestly could argue to match teammate Reginald Rove at $7,000,000. However, here he sits at $3,500,000 instead, what a generous soul.

Which, speaking of players who opened up with those back-to-back 40 point seasons. As I mentioned, Robert Phelps is yet to have a season below 40 points. This is an astounding streak that likes of which we've never really seen in the SHL. Yet, here's a player who is making $4,000,000 this season, and $3,000,000 in each of the next two seasons. He's still young, just entering regression. He's extremely effective. The only other player to hit 40 points as a rookie is worth over $6,000,000 per year, I see no reason Robert Phelps isn't as well. With his consistency and skill, @DrunkenTeddy should absolutely be compensated double if not triple what he currently is!

And after all of that, Hamilton wouldn't be able to overpay their goaltender Geezus Kryyst (@Narconis) who makes an exorbitant $10,000,000 this season! Manhattan would probably struggle with signing their goaltender as well, to a much more respectable $4,500,000 recently and may have to call up Peter Larson immediately. Though, that's some of the trouble that comes into play when you have players who drive play and deserve some recognition!

An old man's dream ended. A young man's vision of the future opened wide. Young men have visions, old men have dreams. But the place for old men to dream is beside the fire.
[Image: DOF5tXM.png]
[Image: tjyuut.jpg] 
Thanks to Jackson, Copenhagen, and Harry Hans!

GOING DOWN IN STYLE. TOAST4LYFE

The salary cap is always a big talking point for most in the SHL. Some say it should rise, while others think it should be removed completely. While we may not have the ability to do either, we do have the ability to look at where each team sits in relation to the cap. Today we will look at the San Francisco Pride and where they stand with the cap. Last season saw the Pride make a nice jump in the standing, but fall just short of the playoffs. For the best chance of the postseason next year, the best thing for the Pride to do would be to resign the upcoming RFAs and try and get some of the big name UFAs (like Dionyz Vyskoc and Charlie Schieck) under contract for next season. If the new deals can stay close to their expiring ones, the Prides playoff dreams may finally become a reality. If these players do decide to move on, it would give the Pride the opportunity to offer contracts to some other free agents to help fill out the roster.

* Update: The Pride have announced the resignings of 9 players with expiring contracts. 
http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=94661

Why the fuck are we, the Manhattan Rage, paying Tokek Takshak at all?

honestly though, he sucks. He sucks so much. It recently came out that he plays with his eyes closed, which, to be honest, explains a lot, to be frank. Honestly, I'd say to trade him, but thats asking some other poor soul to take on 2 million in spare cap. Who on earth would do that?

Probably tampa.

So after the Rage exile top kek to tampa, we get around 11 million in spare cap. Now, the Rage have about 9 or 10 players on very team-friendly contracts. Seeing as they've had great success this season, I think we can afford to give them a raise. What to do with the spare mil or two? Honestly, I have no idea. Throw a big ol party, I guess. Buy Tokek a lifetime supply of burritos. Something like that.

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

The San Francisco Pride head into S47 with an enviable cap position. With a full lineup already signed, the Pride have some 15M to play with to pay for draftees and free agents.

Only 3 players are at the max salary of 5M per season: Dakota Reid @Jiggly_333 , Dionyz Vyskoc @artermis and Isak Odegard @prettyburn - given that they are among the highest TPE earners on the team, it is well-deserved. Reid doesn't put up a lot of points but contributes in ways that not many players can, with her toughness and willingness to engage. Vyskoc and Odegard are both elite players with valuable skill sets, so they are definitely worth it

The biggest egregious salaries are for people who are vastly underpaid! Leopold Lockhart @ej27 is only making $1.0M this season and is worth a lot more as he enters his rookie season. Goaltender Chris Partridge @Mackkz pulls in $3.0M - as the star of the team, he could easily take in a higher salary as he is the MVP of the team. Lastly is Jeff Brogen @Flowseidon who has shown with his 20G season that he is worth more than the $3.0M per season he pulls in!

So S47 looks good for the team but S48 may have some tough decisions to make as many players who are improving will be up for renegotiation.

[Image: draft-aa.png?ex=6623d02e&is=66115b2e&hm=...6f7f7fe7e&]

Grizzlies     S76 SMJHL DRAFT 3RD OVERALL PICK     Grizzlies

When looking at the cap outlook for the Hamilton Steelhawks both now and in the future, the biggest thing that stands out is the number of players who already possess substantial bank accounts. This is most prevalent in the fact that the two faces of the franchise, Ben Dover and Robert Phelps, are signed to hometown discounts of 3 million per year after this season. As well, the team's prospect pool is littered with those who have the ability, and likely the willingness, to take team-friendly deals for the foreseeable future.

I think the biggest inefficiency in the team's cap at the moment can be found in two places. Currently, 12 million is tied up in goaltending, including 2 million in an aging backup. Giving the starter 10 million is rich, but he's an important part of the team's success and the cost is justifiable with a cheap backup, which is certainly not the case here. As well, some may point out that young forward Donnie Dicks (@Gooney) is receiving a cool 10 million for the current season. My argument is that this is obviously not enough, as Gooney deserves more than the salary cap allows. To this end, I propose that Gooney be exempt from the salary cap and budget restraints of the SHL so that he can receive a Scrooge McDuck-like vault of money each year.

The strength of the team will be in its ability to keep itself together financially as its current young players become its veteran stars. This will allow the team to be competitive in free agency in coming seasons, and allow it to properly support its drafted core with the final pieces it needs to become a powerhouse.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

PBE Affiliation

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

PBE PT

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

I mean being a part of the Hamilton organization, there are two numbers that ultimately stand out. Donnie Dicks, an S45 Forward, and their star goaltender, Geezus Krryst both are signed for $10,000,000 contracts. With my past history as a GM, my thoughts go straight to that they probably used left over money to sign these bloated contracts. Heading into next season, freeing up a bit more of that cap space would allow for management to chase big names to fill potential spots in the lineup for a deep playoff run. Albeit the space may be needed in general with the gambit of rookies growing from the S46 SHL Draft class. The stable seems to be packed for the Steelhawks, but as the rookies grow the cap space will be needed. Definitely will be an interesting scenario going forward, but one will have to imagine that management will need to be making potential trades at some point as well should this most recent draft pay off.

[Image: Wally.png]

(This post was last modified: 03-26-2019, 10:36 AM by bluesfan55.)

I chose my old team, the San Francisco Pride.

First off, they don’t have a lot of cap space. The first egregious contract I see belongs to Dionys Vyskoc. Now, I love Arty, and he’s a babe, but #4 million this year and $5 million the next is too much for a rebuilder like the Pride. Vyskoc has been a consistent producer, but not worth as much as he is. I’d sign him for between 2-3 million dollars. Solid value for a good player.

Next would be Fedor Shiborokov. He’s been a shutdown defenseman since he joined the league, but at his TPE value and age, $5 million is WAY too much for him. Sure, he’s a defensive beast, but is he worth $5 million in this day and age? No. $3 million is the bare maximum of what I would pay the man.

Finally, Dakota Reid. This is a horrible contract. $5 million this year and $4 million for the forseeable future. Ried doesn’t produce, is inactive, and has a track record of staying inactive. She’s in regression, and probably has no plan to fight it. Not to mention she has what many would consider to be a minus personality. This is simple. $1 million. If you love Reid so much, you don’t need to pay her that much to keep her around. Even if she’s loyal, she’d probably take a discount.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

[Image: XSIrMLw.jpg]

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

I think the Hamilton Steelhawks are probably the easiest team to pick apart with this PT. Looking at their budget causes you a lot of confusion. Why does Donnie Dicks, a SHL rookie and very young player make $10 million. He really should be paid one or two million for his services. The other massive over payment is Geezus Kryyst, the Hamilton Goalie, who is also making $10 million this season. I don't think Kryyst is as much of an over payment as Dicks is, but he definitely is overpaid. I'd put him at about 6-7 million as the team's sole net minder. On the other side of the coin we have players who are under paid significantly. Ben Dover has been a huge piece for this team for years and yet he is paid only $3 million. Robert Phelps is in the same boat, although he hasn't been with the team quite as long, he is clearly one of the top players and deserves more than $3 million.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]