Create Account

S55 PT #4 - OK What's Your Expansion Team Idea

While only some will know the specifics, I had submitted a pitch to move my current team to a new location a few seasons ago. While the pitch was not accepted I did have a few locations and branding ideas in mind. I will use this PT to reveal one of the options I had gone with. One of my locations was Vegas. With the arrival of the Nevada Battleborn, I think the area is too crowded now to hold 2 teams, but before the Battleborn existed I had made a concept for the Vegas Venom. While Las Vegas previously held an SHL team, it seemed like a natural location to put a franchise. I am by no means talented in the art department so I only came up with a rough MS Paint concept sketch that I will share below. My colors would have been Green, Purple, and Red. I think in another universe the Vegas Venom are gearing up to make the playoffs.

[Image: ViDAAKu.png]

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

If was given the opportunity to create an expansion team, my team would be the Washington Mammoths. The SHL and SMJHL don’t have any pre-historic iconography and symbols to any of their teams and I think it would be pretty unique. The Columbian Mammoth is designated the state fossil since 1998 and its always fitting to showcase something from the state itself. A colour scheme of a dark rusty orange, navy, and a pale blue would make for a unique colour palette and isn’t seen on any of the teams in both leagues. The logo itself would be in a crest shape, with the navy on the outside, light blue in the middle. A mammoth throwing its trunk in the air would be the main focal point with the trunk breaking the crest frame in that rust colour, with white for tusks, darker and lighter rust tones for highlights and shadows. A goal horn of manny the mammoth or just mammoth trumpeting would be fun.
(165 words)

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

[Image: 2FigXhu.png]

[Image: YALAGVT.png]

[Image: dVy6XWn.jpg]
[Image: 9POiosr.png]
First SHL goal on first SHL shot in first SHL game.

(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 08:34 AM by TheSparkyDee.)

The Juneau Narwhal is the new addition to the SHL. Okay come on... It is a Narwhal is one of the most majestic creatures in the world. THE FIGHTING NARWHALS SCORE!!!! Sounds like the best name in hockey. Our colors will be Grayed Jade as the secondary and primary will be Lemon Zest. The Narwhal arena would be magical, the mascot would be a big Narwhal with the team colors and wearing a jersey that says on the back "NARLY". The Narwhals are known to be roaming around the Alaskan waters. So why not take a thriving city in Alaska and bring them a SHL TEAM?? Hockey is huge in Juneau and it is the capital of Alaska. AND Narwhals are so mean and awesome so the best team name aside from another amazing creature... the Killer Whale. Narwhal will stab you with its 9-foot horn. "We will stab the competition." OH... So, the goal song do I even have to say. It is going to be the Narwhal song... “Narwhals, Narwhals Swimming in the ocean Causing a commotion Coz they are so awesome”. Just wait and hear the screeching of a Narwhal.... "EEEEeeeee"

Drafted 2nd round 21st Pick by the Winnipeg Jets in S55 SHL Entry Draft 
GM of the UCORCAL in the WJC S55
S55 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for UCORCAL
Management Role for Russia in the IIHF
Recent Management Role / Head Coach for Winnipeg Aurora in SHL 
CO-GM St. Louis Scarecrows S57-S60
GM of the St. Louis Scarecrows S61-S72
S72 Challenge Cup Champion
[Image: 6JpC94j.png]
[Image: image0.png]
[Image: IMG_0301.jpg]

08-20-2020, 02:14 AMHanTheMan_ Wrote: If was given the opportunity to create an expansion team, my team would be the Washington Mammoths. The SHL and SMJHL don’t have any pre-historic iconography and symbols to any of their teams and I think it would be pretty unique. The Columbian Mammoth is designated the state fossil since 1998 and its always fitting to showcase something from the state itself. A colour scheme of a dark rusty orange, navy, and a pale blue would make for a unique colour palette and isn’t seen on any of the teams in both leagues. The logo itself would be in a crest shape, with the navy on the outside, light blue in the middle. A mammoth throwing its trunk in the air would be the main focal point with the trunk breaking the crest frame in that rust colour, with white for tusks, darker and lighter rust tones for highlights and shadows. A goal horn of manny the mammoth or just mammoth trumpeting would be fun.
(165 words)
*stares*

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

Well, I would have re-used my branding from the previous hockey league, the greatest sim league team ever assembled. THe Vienna Eagles, located in the world famous city of Vienna, Virginia obviously. They Would be in the colors of red, white and grey and the eagle is obviously the symbol and animal on the logo. They would be modeled after the success of the original Vienna Eagles, which had an insane roster and it would do similarly well here. I think the branding is really nice and the logo was super slick and pretty. I guess if the league allowed international teams, then putting them into the actual place of Vienna, Austria would be an excellent choice as well. Obviously the Vienna, Virginia part was tongue in cheek, but it works as a work-around nonetheless. I really wish I could have gotten an expansion team, but sadly I was not chosen yet again. Maybe next time!

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

So while I think a large amount of the branding is really solid in the SHL (with really good concepts being put forward by the 3 recent expansion teams revealed so far), I think there are a few holes geographically that could need a spot. Much maligned is Ottawa, who could have a great team. I also think Arizona, Mexico City and Philly deserve love here. But my main suggestion is for Saskatoon. The central Canadian city is a pure hockey town. Maybe this makes more sense in the SMJHL, but I really think Saskatoon deserves a team. They are caught in no mans land in real life and in SHL life between Winnipeg and Calgary/Edmonton, all while being a hot bed for hockey talent. I would like to propose the Saskatoon Prairie Dogs as the next expansion team. Because the prairies are so flat, you can see these gopher like creatures all the time when driving around. I think they are a mighty animal for a mascot, and you could get some sick logos with it. [178 words]

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]

My expansion team would be the New Jersey Pork Rolls. The team would be based out of Wildwood and would be a staple of the community. New Jersey needs a team and I will be bringing them the hockey they deserve. The logo would be a pork roll with a smiling face holding a hockey stick. An alternative logo would be the pork roll slicing through the words Taylor Ham because Taylor Ham is a joke. The reason behind the name is because Pork Roll is very important to New Jersey and everyone can agree it tastes amazing. The colors would be pink and red to go with the colors of what pork roll looks like. The arena would be named The Grill because you cook pork roll on the grill. Duh. New Jersey always gets hate which is fine but why not bring a hockey team so that when they win the cup 20 seasons in a row people actually have a valid reason to hate the state. Everyone wishes they were New Jersey and playing for New Jersey and the New Jersey Pork Rolls.

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

An idea I've always had for an expansion team is the Halifax Hydras. I love alliteration and think that the city and team name works really well together.

I'm also a nerd about mythology, soi the hydras fit in perfectly there. I love the idea that you have to take down the entire hydra at once and burn it before it truly dies and gives up. I think that's really representative of a hockey team. You can take one guy out, but someone else is going to step up and fill in that gap. And the entire team will eventually come out stronger for it.

Halifax also works with being on the water as I know some people connect mythology with the open, mysterious sea. Being a coastal city also speaks to me with the idea that you can conquer both land and sea as our ancestors once did.

Update PageWhalers | Wolfpack | Player Page

Jack Durden:

Season 24 - *4 Star Cup Champions - Vancouver Whalers*
Season 36 - *Challenge Cup Champions - Texas Renegades*
Season 36 - *Anton Razov Trophy Winner - Playoff MVP - Texas Renegades*
Season 41 - *IIHF Gold Medalist - Team United Kingdom*
Season 41 - *Triple Gold Member*
**Vancouver Whalers Hall of Fame**
**Texas Renegades Hall of Fame**
**Hall of Fame Member**

For the location, the first one that immediately came to mind for me was my new home city of Victoria, British Columbia. Until the Seattle Argonauts came along, there was no SHL team currently occupying a Pacific Northwest city, and Seattle or Portland were too easy, so Victoria it is. The city has a ready-made if small arena in the Save-on-Foods Memorial Arena, which seats about 7,000, and a dedicated fanbase already that can draw from the whole island.

For the name, my one condition for picking it was that it was not aquatic in nature. The SHL and SMJHL already have the Whalers, Argonauts and Armada up and down the West Coast. Anything with Lions or Royal theming is also off the table to avoid conflict with the San Francisco Pride and the WHL's Victoria Royals. While Vancouver Island has a very prevalent population of cougars, that name is obviously off the table because of the Los Angeles Panthers. For that reason, the name of the team would be the Victoria Marmots. The Vancouver Island marmot is an endangered species that lives only on the island, and is an iconic species in the area, having been depicted in the form of the 2010 Vancouver Olympics mascot Mukmuk and the Royals' current mascot Marty.

As for the colours, the flag of the city of Victoria is a sky blue with a coat of arms on it, so the uniforms would be sky blue and gold. The coat of arms would be one shoulder patch on the uniforms, and the British Columbia flag on the other shoulder.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 11:54 AM by Fluw.)

[Image: 614196154a57efd7eb0537bb7e37f8bb.png]

Oh man here we go! This right here is probably exactly what the league needs to keep surviving. Hear me out! The city I chose is Kansas City! Why? Well there are places to spelunk there who knew! And before you say anything and try and take a guess at the teams name , I mean it is up above, yes that's right its the Kansas City Spelunkers. Each player will automatically have generational spelunking ability, generational! Do other teams have that? I think not! This is a secret mechanic to FHM, how good are your spelunking skills? Boom instant win for the physicals im telling you!

Ok sure sure, why spelunkers right?  Well have you ever been in your bed at night and just craving adventure? Want to find that cave to spelunk? Do you have a snozz that is perfect for spelunking? Well boom theres the team name. I can guarantee 100% certified that you always dreamed of spelunking and here we have a team that does that and more! Menacing logo as well, watch out for this guy!

Okay look we need some music for this! PERFECT!

[Image: 57771_s.gif]

[Image: U66t7Jy.png][Image: CXrxOKM.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png][Image: zyyvIFD.png]

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 12:38 PM by Thunfish.)

It's no secret I like old WHA team identities, so I figured I would go with the legendary Indianapolis Racers of old but with a new spin that is... somewhat common from concepts I've seen in the past. My attempt at this switches the old blue-red-white combo for a race-track black and white while also adding gold for accent reasons. The Indianapolis on their crest unashamedly borrows from the Nascar logo. I've also added the surface track thing from the Indy 500 logo. I believe they're meant to be related to some fancy pavement but the only thing I can think of when I look at those is the old road I used to play soccer with some friends on... and eventually break a toenail on as well.

[Image: Indianapolis_Racers.png]

Their goal horn is obvious.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 01:47 PM by Clean Andrei Kostitsyn.)

[Image: clevel10.png]

[Image: cleanandrei.png]

ISFL PT lol did you guys really think i would reveal the team here??? go away!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 08-20-2020, 03:40 PM by Fantobens.)

I put my expansion team in Atlantic City, New Jersey. The branding would have to be something sleazy like the highrollers, with a logo with something like fuzzy dice and strippers. We could also be the new hosts for Miss America I don’t know if they still do that anymore but we can start doing that again. I’m sure just being there maybe the president will try and get in on the deal and hopefully everything wont get to racist or anything.

We would have the ice girls and guys just whoever we picked up off the street that day you know to cut corners keep cost down our jerseys with all match but just wear whatever pants and socks you got at home. Got to save all my money for gambling on the boardwalk maybe some crack.

They wouldn’t be any seats or bleachers in the arena it would just be our slot machines and easy bus access for the senior citizen bus. You never know when the goal horn went off because of all the bells and whistle’s from all the machines around the ice. I think it would be pretty funny. Realistically it would be pretty shitty. Its a pretty shitty idea.

Realistically I think it would be cool to do a team in Mexico City with some kind of Aztec theme not like shitty 90s Arizona coyotes Aztec, but something better.Maybe we could sacrifice people during an intermissions....

[Image: Fantobens.gif]