Create Account

S55 PT #4 - OK What's Your Expansion Team Idea
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 01:03 PM by hotdog.)

Alright people love to suggest this one... the timing is right, let's finally do it: @notorioustig and @hotdog are getting ready to unveil their fresh new teams, but lets see some other options while we wait for those!

Written task (150 words min.): If you were the GM of an expansion franchise, what would your new team be? Where would you place it? What's the team name? Why there? Why that name? Describe your branding, goal song, colors, etc.

Graphic task: Show us the expansion team logo. It doesn't have to be entirely original, though that is preferred. If not, make sure it includes alterations; copy/paste from somewhere else won't get you credit. That includes work you've previously done for SHL; make something new for this task.

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.
You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.
This PT will close Sunday, August 23rd at 11:59pm ET.
Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL are accepted; be sure to note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

[Image: cleveland_riverfires.png]

[Image: ml002.gif]
Credit to Copenhagen, Wasty, FlappyGiraffe, InciteHysteria, and caltroit_red_flames
 [Image: MM4nqx6.png] [Image: Niz2wua.png][Image: egAspOO.png] Knights
[Image: GZ9XvkA.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2020, 10:30 PM by hockeyiscool.)

[Image: unknown.png]

I feel the south is underrepresented in hockey. So I've decided to go with the Little Rock Cornbreads and serve up some southern hospitality en route to a good ol' fashion butt whoopin'.

My expansion team idea is probably unexpected, as I'd like to put a team in Maine, but sadly a "team" already plays there, and the region probably isn't strong enough to support two SHL franchises. So I'll have to look elsewhere when deciding on my new team. In terms of branding, I want to put a team in a recognizable location. The best location to me is New York City, as For New York, It would build a natural rivalry with the Manhattan Rage, Buffalo Stampede, and New England Wolfpack. In terms of branding, a team name building off of New York's long history of industry and being a fore runner of American pop culture. Some team names I've thought of are the Skyliners, Bulldogs, Founders. Bulldogs for the city's won't back down attitude, and general defensive disposition. Skyliners obviously after the cities soaring skyline, with huge skyscrapers. Founders due to the amount of creation and development New York City is responsible for over its many years.

[Image: rotti.gif]

Sweden. End PT.

[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/ByNN8Jn.gif[/img]

this isn't the woat player pt???

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate
(This post was last modified: 08-22-2020, 04:24 PM by 5ympathies.)

My expansion team idea would have to be something dumb like the Surrey Jacks. It's not dumb even though last sentence I literally said it was because of two reasons. First its a SHL team in BC, a place that only is home to juniors teams, so it would be nice to be noticed in the big leagues. But secondly it is representation for me and the three other brown guys on this site. Also, some may consider it kind of offensive, but it is simply playing off of the stereotypes of the area and is not meant in any rude way. The colour of the team would of course be orange and brown. Orange for the flag of Khalistan, and brown for the colour of our skins. Very simple explanation. Our mascot would be a lion, very fitting for the culture and that lion would probably work its way into our primary logo as well, with the secondary logo probably being a bottle of crown royal or something along those lines.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

I said this last time there was an expansion back in S46 and I'll say it again ten seasons later: we, as the SHL, need the Philadelphia Cheesesteaks in the Eastern Conference to rip some shit up. Of course, Philadelphia is a massive hockey city with rabid and notorious fans that will both cheer for you and boo you in a single game. Cheesesteaks are the food of the city; a delicious sandwich of steak, cheese (not whiz, we don't count whiz), onions, and more. Throw in Maneater by Phildadelphia natives Hall and Oates as the goal song, blaring whenever a Cheesesteak star slips the puck into the net, and beautiful jerseys featuring the colors sky blue, gold, and white (the official colors of the City of Brotherly Love) as well as a logo with a dude eating a cheesesteak and you've got a team that is not only wanted by some but needed by the league. Make this happen @hotdog.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 12:26 AM by JamesT.)

Code:
Written task: If you were the GM of an expansion franchise, what would your new team be? Where would you place it? What's the team name? Why there? Why that name? Describe your branding, goal song, colors, etc.

If I was able to be the GM of an expansion franchise for the SHL, I would choose the city of New York. The city of New York has been described as the mecca for sports and the bright lights of New York would boast for an expansion franchise. There is only one team in the New York area in the SHL and that would  be the Manhattan  Rage  If there was another SHL team in that area the  Rage would have a strong rivalry with the club and would garner more interest in the city. 

For the team name there would have to be a list of potential names, some that I could come up with would be: Crunch, Sound Tigers, Condors, Gulls. These names were totally not inspired by AHL teams. There would be team name entries taking from fans but the name would ultimately be chosen by the ownership group.

The colours would definitely have to have a shade of red,white and blue. The goal song would have to be Slapshot by Ray Castoldi. It would only make sense as this is the goal song for the New York Rangers.

Code:
194 words

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 01:00 AM by MN_Moosey.)

[Image: double_doubles.png]
Toronto Double Doubles

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]

Gabe Johnson announced his running for expansion in the last week, citing his excellent work as Hamilton Co-GM as a strong reason for him to be considered. He wanted his team to be Montreal based due to it being his place of birth, and his primary idea for something to consider was a concept made by his teammate, Flacko Lagerfield, which is the Montreal Olympiens. It is a team rooted deeply in the history of Olympics in Montreal, a city that of course hosted the Olympics in what a resounding success for the city. Johnson would of course be the star of the team, and he would lead forward a new era of Montreal hockey in the big leagues of the sim hockey world. Of course, without much discussion needed from HO at all, Johnson's expansion idea was rejected on the basis that it would be impossible for a team with Gabe Johnson at the helm to experience any type of success at all, and it would simply be a franchise doomed for failure.

(174 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

Finally, something I can talk about. I've actually had an idea for an expansion franchise for a while now, and I feel like it can knock some people's socks off.

Location: it would have to be Pittsburgh. it's a location that's prime for an SHL location (and I do prefer it over Philly, fuck the Eagles), not to mention it's a huge ass city.

Branding: I feel like it should be called the Pittsburgh Trinity, named after the three rivers that run through the city.

Logo & Colors: Main colors would be typical pittsburgh colors, yellow (or gold) and black, but Royal Blue and Crimson would be accent colors. The logo would be three lines forming a "T", stylized to look something like this, each line being a different part of the color scheme. It would be a bit tough balancing out the colors on the jersey itself, but i feel like it can be done.

Goal Song: Probably a song by Wiz Khalifa, who is a native to the city. Personally, one of either "Young, Wild, and Free" or "We Dem Boyz". For an exit song, they could use the ever so popular "See You Again."

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-19-2020, 03:59 AM by _Blitz_.)

Being from Tampa and having my first choice already taken, my second choice would be Miami. I made a joke a few weeks ago about the Miami Vice, and the idea has since taken more form that I would have expected.

The colors were obvious. The original 80s TV show title card was pink and blue. The shades I'm using here are Neon Pink (#ff6ec7) and Cyan (#0adcff). The font choice, Broadway, was also very easy to make for its resemblance to that on the title card. Thematically, I wanted to pull from the Florida Art Deco that defines most of Miami's history and art, and with that came a few set pieces. Mainly, the palm trees. With that, the main logo came very easily.

[Image: HWqayDx.png]
I didn't have as much of a plan for the patch design. Instead, I ended up happening upon a bunch of art deco-styled or inspired label templates. I was playing around with those a little bit, and then decided to add in the MV and tweak it a little bit so they aligned better. From there, I liked the idea of a little more variability in the design, so I made a pink text and blue text version. There are even more alternatives, but those two were the best that worked with the concept jerseys I made. The details may not show up in the light mode view of the website.

[Image: fd33i83.png][Image: YPaHRos.png]
Finally, for the Third jerseys, I wanted to have a bit of fun. I really like the idea of having a bunch of confused Miami fans showing up to boo the alligator team, only to realize it's their team (the University of Miami and the University of Florida had a rather vitriolic rivalry in the late 90s). So I modified a clip art alligator to wear RayBan-style sunglasses and named him Ernesto. The team mascot is a bipedal version of Ernesto that wears sunglasses and the home jersey.

[Image: Ch2PHM5.png]

So, all put together, these are the jerseys:

HOME                                                   AWAY
[Image: xT6gARw.jpg]     [Image: FNe9WH4.jpg]

THIRDS
[Image: 1pgPTsH.jpg]

More team cultural notes:
  • The goal song is "I Like It Like That" by Pete Rodriguez.
  • Much as the Detroit Red Wings throw octopi and the Nashville Predators throw catfish during the Playoffs, Vice fans through Cuban sandwiches on the ice.
  • The major on-ice sponsors of the Miami Vice are Coppertone, Publix, Wellcraft, and Ron Jon Surf Shop.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 02:44 AM by Dextaria.)

My first idea for an expansion in the SHL wouldn't actually be really an expansion at all. I would love to see the Vancouver Whalers be an SHL team as Vancouver is such a large and established city. However, the Whalers have such a history in the SMJHL and I think it would be hard to sell the move from the SMJHL to the SHL. I argue that this doesn't diminish the Whaler's history in the SHL/SMJHL, rather it will be the first of its kind (that I know of) to make the jump.

As for a brand new idea, I know that an intercontinental expansion is highly unlikely; however, I love the ring of the Guangzhou Dynasty. The team will be playing in a city with rich history as well as a brand new arena, the Lotus Flower Stadium. It will certainly be a sight for the fans and a great way for the SHL to branch out to a different market with almost 15 million people. As for why call them the dynasty, China has a history of various dynasties that date back over 3000 years. This name is paying homage to the history of the city and country.

For the branding, this is where it may be tough to sell but in Chinese culture the dragon is said to represent the emperor. This is tough to sell since we already have the Calgary Dragons; however, it is important to note that the Chinese dragon does have striking differences compared to dragons from other cultures. Furthermore, the shoulder patches can be phoenixes as they are said to represent the empress in Chinese culture. The primary colour would be a rich red and the secondary colour would be a vibrant yellow.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2020, 04:07 AM by Mutedfaith.)

Well, this is easy.

Ever since I was drafted by the Detroit Falcons, I felt like the franchise was too big for the SMJHL. The city breathes hockey, the name and colourscheme is impressive and fitting for a huge team and they manage to attract big names and overperformers easier than my mouth attracting oreos. That's why, instead of going for an all new expansion team, I'd like to see the Detroit Falcons be promoted to the SHL. They can skip the expansion draft, and get back all of the S52 and S53 players who were a part of their most recent Four Star Cup win, as well as the players of the GMs who got them to that cup: @notorioustig and @nour. They'll surely outperform the fringe teams next season and would be well on their way to being a serious PO contender in just a season or two.

We'll just lift the roof of the current arena and install an extra ring or two of seats. Other than that, we can keep the logo, the colourscheme and even the goal horn. The SHL will feel the SKREEEE and tremble in fear.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty