Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise

I think one of the most unexpected things was Michael Haan not being in the Hall of Fame. Michael Haan was one of the biggest pieces that turned the Edmonton team around when they selected him first overall in the SHL Draft. I mean, he was someone who stayed loyal to the team and built with the team. He was a solid player, and his numbers were pretty good as well. Honestly, how can you say that he did not deserve the Hall of Fame when there are players who were much less than him that were making it in. He was always making a difference and also did a lot for the team and bringing them the Challenge Cup. He did not just win one of the Challenge Cups, he won multiple of them. So, I will ask you again, how can you say that he is not worth going into the Hall of Fame for the SHL. I think it's a travesty and he deserves to get in.

Words: 171

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

PBE Affiliate

[Image: 3MtyuZk.gif]
[Image: dAxJaBU.gif]
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2021, 09:34 AM by SewingWithNancy.)

Last week, before the last game of the season against Kelowna. Sean Gatez was in the hotel lobby waiting around for the rest of the team to hop on the bus and head to the arena for their last game. Kelowna isn't necessarily a large town, and isn't a host to many attractions outside of the hockey arena and outdoor activities. Its not on the radar for many Americans, so to Seans surprise he sees his college buddies checking into the hotel. 3 guys all wearing plaid flannel shirts, carrying big duffle bags with mountain bike company logos plastered across them. "Hey Big Cat!!" Sean yelled across the lobby. The one guy wearing a cowboy hat turns around and his face lights up, he yells back, "TIGER CUB!!. Tyrel, Chris, and Zach are all in the lobby checking in with huge grins on their face. Sean hasn't seen these guys since he the beginning of this season, as their schedules never really aligned.

Turns out they had been wanting to mountain bike and hike in and around Kelowna for some time now, and since it was Sean's last game in the Js they figured they'd also see their college buddy play before they went off and did their own playing. Though they had no idea they were checking into the same hotel as where their friend was staying. After the game, they all met up at the hotel bar, and proceeded to drink like the Timber had already won the 4 Star.

WC - 257

[Image: d2EaZfr.png]
Former Player

There are two unexpected moments in SHL history this season. One, Theo Morgan broke 100 points for the first time in SHL history. This feat alone is impressive, and Morgan rocketed to the top of the fantasy standings with 509 points, breaking the previous record of 500 and change by 9 points. But, Theo Morgan wasn't actually the record breaker for fantasy points this season. It was Lyle Odelein III who not only surpassed Theo Morgan in fantasy points this season, but shattered the record by 88 points. That's right, the previous held record by Lyle himself was broken by 88 points. 588 total. Almost 20% larger than his previous record. So while Morgan did a feat no other player had yet accomplished, he was still far outclassed by a guy who had 340 points in shot blocks alone, which would put him at 80th in the SHL if he had no other points. I think that's mind boggling, that someone could do something as impressive as break 100 points, lead his peers by a dozen or so fantasy points, and then get left in the dust by a great defenseman on a bad team.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

Code:
Describe an unexpected event that has happened in your player's life - anything, on ice or off, that surprised your player - and how they handled it.

The best unexpected event that has ever happened in Strom's life was merely getting drafted into the SMJHL and, by proxy, getting drafted into the SHL.  As I've mentioned in some backstory before (See:  Getting the Call series), Strom's age had always been against him, even after playing in beer leagues around St. Louis.  He had all but given up on the idea of making it to the majors and then boom!  He gets a call saying that he was being scouted by the Anaheim Outlaws, whom also later lead him to a 4-Star Cup Championship.

How did Strom handle it?  The same way he's been handling it since getting that call:  working his ass off (trying to max earn) in order to prove that even at his older age demographic he can still keep up with the younger all-stars of the league.  Though, here lately, his performance has been less than spectacular.  Perhaps age is finally catching up to him?  Only time will tell.

Code:
165 Words

[Image: QsZ1vOb.jpeg]
[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]

Back in November 2020, the Toronto North Stars made an absolutely huge trade with the Winnipeg Aurora. Toronto acquired Adam Barron in exchange for three players and three draft picks - two first round picks and a second round pick in the S57 draft. If you care to take a look back at the trade thread, the reactions speak for themselves. This trade was big, or beeg as the kids are saying. With the benefit of hindsight, we can see just how much Toronto gave up.

Adam Barron is a 2201 TPE defenceman from the S50 draft, which (unsurprisingly) places him at the top of his class. He scored 58 points this past season, and his on-ice performance speaks for himself. The early part of regression will be kind to him, and he can sustain this for several seasons to come.

Daniel Kuster is another S50 d-man, but only has 644 TPE and is now a free agent. The two other players are more notable. Sarah Burke is an S56 draftee with 1031 TPE (good for 11th in the class), and played about 19 minutes per game on the defensive line for Winnipeg in S59. Winger James Kimanje (889 TPE) joined Burke, and played just under 18 minutes per game. The two players combined for 25 points.

It's relatively early to be talking about the draft picks, but we know one of the first rounders (Freyja Hellstrom) has gone inactive at 371 TPE. Forward Dwayne Gretzky and goalie Vincent Mietitore are 11th and 17th in the class respectively, with 817 and 705 TPE.

We won't know for sure until we see Burke, Kimanje, Gretzky and Mietitore play out their careers, but right now it looks like Toronto exchanged players and assets they could afford to lose for a player who is invaluable.

WC = too many (304).

[Image: sink.png]
[Image: Screenshot_2021-04-12_000020.png]

[Image: MZ5VhcX.png]

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

pt

p
a
s
s

I was shocked when JNH stepped down as GM of the Newfoundland Berserkers. It happened only about six weeks into my career. As I think is the case with most people in the SHL, the GM and team that first selects you holds a special place in your heart. You never forget them for taking a chance of you. And in return, I always try to do my best for them. He was replaced by Ham and Juke who are great in their own right, but it was JNH that gave me a shot. I will always remember his patience with me; whether it was answering my stupid questions, or helping me learn the league and get settled in. I am still a top 10 earner from my draft class, and he has a lot to do with that. Learning the ropes wasn't easy in the beginning, but I kept at it, and JNH kept encouraging me. As I get ready to end my career in Newfoundland and head to Winning in the big league, it is only fitting that I raise a glass to JNH, Ham, and Juke for putting up with me throughout the early part of my up and down career. Fortunately, I have become a solid and fairly consistent player and hope to end my Berserker career with a cup.

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]

Well I know I tend to make a lot of these PT's about me but I can't myself as I have found yet another opportunity to name a surprise in my career. Leading up to the S49 draft I was contacted by a handful of teams. When it comes to being a goalie the market for jobs can vary and in my draft year, there weren't many teams looking for an option. I had made it clear in a podcast that I was looking at Toronto for a landing spot because I have always been a fan of Toronto teams. I did not know at the time that they had already drafted Harry Carpet as he was still in the minors. However, Carpy happened to listen to my podcast and reached out to let me know that he was going to be joining the team, and we ended up striking up a friendship that would continue till now. I spoke with Toronto, but out of the other teams that were interested, I knew that the Los Angeles Panthers really wanted me on board, and I didn't want to tell teams what other teams were saying so I didn't mention who specifically was interested in me when I was talking to GM's. The draft happened and Toronto picked 14th, and ended up taking me. The very next day Wasty from LAP reached out and asked if they could trade for me, and Toronto asked if I would care if I went to LAP. I said, "of course not," and was traded immediately for a 2nd round pick, spending only one day as a member of the Stars. I have been in LA ever since and it was the best kind of surprise a player could hope for.

[Image: lqfXIpe.jpeg]
[Image: p82ugau.png]

b) Describe an unexpected event that has happened in your player's life - anything, on ice or off, that surprised your player - and how they handled it.

It was another terribly rainy night, something Rob Wright's father, Bob, had become accustom to referring to as "the perfect-ish storm"; a combination of raining cats-and-dogs and the fact that it was night time. "The only missing ingredient," he'd say, usually into the neck of a nearly empty beer bottle, "is love."

The two now sit in the son, Rob's, vehicle - a mint cherry green 1990 Volkswagen Cabriolet anxiously parked behind a mint cherry red 2002 Pontiac Aztek as they wait for a train to pass by, trapped under the very perfect-ish storm that Bob Wright had superstitiously referenced.

"Man, I can't believe we lost to Anchorage." Rob said sternly and made a clicking sound with his tongue that children who have disappointed their fathers know well. "And it's my fault."

"Don't worry about it, boy. This perfect-ish storm will cleanse you, don't you worry." Rob's dad said, drumming his fingers on the side door.

SCREEEEEEEEEECH!

Just then, the train (YEAH DID I MENTION THE TRAIN??) in front of the Wright boys de-railed. Train cars began exploding this way and that. The train's engine, which due to the train's length was basically a kilometer away (trains in the prairies, man), erupted straight up into the sky. It rocketed off into the stratosphere, leaving behind a smoky grey trail. It didn't stay long, however, as it continued its travel with the final leg of its journey - CRASHING.

Rob acted fast, knowing the train engine had eyes for him and his father and would soon turn them into ground beef. Rob used his Carebear Stare to shoot out a beam of energy that caused the train engine to explode in the sky, leaving only dust to gently land on the people below.

"Holy crap, I didn't know you could do that." Rob's dad said.

"Neither did I. Neither did I. But you're wrong dad. This isn't the perfect-ish storm," Rob said, sticking his tongue out into the ash and rain. "It's the perfect storm (because I love the Carebears)."

Platoon Rob Wright Battleborn

I think the most unexpected thing for Slavakov is going in the first round of the SHL draft. As an unknown, he ended up going in the 4th round to Newfoundland and struggled in his first year in the SMJHL. Going into the draft, he figured he would be going in the early to mid-2nd round, as while he was working to improve, he was still behind many others. He instead ended up going in the late 1st, 16th overall to the Edmonton Blizzard. He’s still honestly not sure what they see in him but he is of course grateful for everyone in both Newfoundland and Edmonton for allowing him to be put in position to succeed. Being named assistant captain for Newfoundland was a surprise as well, as he was the youngest player on the team, but seems to have earned the respect of the other players and management. While everything has been a roller coaster for Slavakov so far, he looks forward to doing all he can to meet everyone’s expectations.

173 Words

[Image: OX6Yrrn.png]

[Image: hPSkjwC.jpg]
Thank you @xjoverax and @phoenix for the sigs!

One of the unexpected events in my player's career was actually his callup to the SHL. Noah was drafted by Texas in the S49 entry draft after playing one season with St. Louis in the SMJHL. As expected, he played the following season in the SMJHL still with the Scarecrows. It was common for players to play multiple seasons in the SMJHL before getting the call up to the big leagues, and Noah assumed it would be much of the same for his situation. However, Texas was in a bit of a rebuild and actually had a use for Noah's services in the S50 season. This came as a surprise to both Noah and to the Scarecrows, who were poised to make a deep run in the SMJHL with a stacked team. In the end, Noah only played 2 seasons in the SMJHL and wound up playing in the big leagues from there on out. That first season wasn't anything special, but despite being younger than his rookie counterparts, Noah was able to snag a spot on the all-rookie team for his performance that season.

[Image: DrbPYHV.png] [Image: UDyqktK.png]

PBE Affiliation

[Image: TNUT2f6.png]
[Image: rL8frIL.png]
[Image: jOCBbVg.gif]
[Image: 6Hefllo.gif]