Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2021, 07:45 PM by hotdog.)

LIFE.... is full of unexpected surprises! 
For this PT, choose one of the following prompts that relate to the unexpected:
(a) What is an unexpected event from SHL history? A trade, a signing, a playoff upset, a hiring, a draft pick - any surprise can fit the bill here.
(b) Describe an unexpected event that has happened in your player's life - anything, on ice or off, that surprised your player - and how they handled it.
Written Task: 150 words min. on one of the above.
Graphic Task: Make a graphic illustrating (a) a surprise event in SHL history or (b) your player encountering an unexpected surprise, on or off the ice.
You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.
Deadline: Tuesday, May 25th at 11:59PM ET

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

ph

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]

PT Pass

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

ph

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2021, 03:29 PM by Faelax.)

A huge trade that came in the S54 offseason was the acquisition of Matt Kholin by the Buffalo Stampede, and it was one that helped the Stampede take home the Challenge Cup in S55. At the time the Stampede had a pretty solid roster, with a couple of promising young stars and a lot of great veteran players up and down the lineup, but seemed to be missing one key piece to push them over the top. Luckily for them, the Tampa Bay Barracuda were about to sell off their big pieces and enter a rebuild. A deal was struck between the two teams, and Matt Kholin came over to the Stampede to round out the lineup into something truly spectacular on the ice. Kholin finished with 54 points in 50 games in the regular season, along with another 15 points in 17 playoff games, and was a huge factor in the Stampede's cup win over the New Orleans Specters. And as it would turn it, it was not a rental acquisition either, and Kholin still wears the Stampede green to this day.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

pt pass

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

(This post was last modified: 05-20-2021, 04:47 PM by yosh.)

Personally, a big surprise for me was when Vaseline Podcalzone got drafted to Seattle 23rd overall in the S56 SHL draft. Pod was a 31st overall pick in the prior Juniors draft, so I really thought he would go somewhere in that slot. I wasn't that active on the forums and didn't pump out a lot of media or really do much outside of most of the general Juniors PTs and CW, so I didn't think I had much draft stock going in.

That being said, I had a pretty great interview with Seattle, so in the back of my mind I thought it was possible they could swoop Podcalzone up somewhere in the 30s range of picks, if not the 3rd round pick if I went a little bit lower. I was expecting to go late 2nd or early 3rd round, so when I found out I got drafted 23rd I was pleasantly surprised for sure, not only because getting drafted to an expansion team sounded really exciting, but also because I was drafted way higher than what I was expecting.

A few seasons later, and man, I am absolutely stoked that the chips fell where they were. Go Argos baby!

WC: 202

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]
(This post was last modified: 05-22-2021, 08:37 PM by bluesfan55.)

In my experiences, an unexpected event for me was my trade from Minnesota to Seattle in S42 (i believe). I'd been traded to Minnesota by San Francisco after they chose to blow it up in the early S40s and I was really excited to go to a team like Minny who were fighting for the cup and had a strong team. However, it just didn't really work out for neither me nor the team. We missed the playoffs in my only full season and I scored 13 points. Not really good. I also didn't really enjoy the LR as I felt it wasn't active, and me being a schmuck at the time didn't help much either. I'd told management that I was planning on leaving in free agency so to be traded wasn't in my plans and I wasn't exactly thrilled about it but Seattle was a team that I was interested in signing for and I ultimately extended there and had a 45 point season so the trade worked out for me.

as for my current player, it was a shock that mitchell van der heijden was selected 11th overall by anchorage in the s50 smjhl draft. i knew nothing about anchorage and wanted to go to either carolina or st louis, but fortunately the boats picked me. while i was initially skeptical (and almost asked for a trade) i grew to love the place and i ended up winning a cup in s51 and mvp in s54, captaining the team as well. anchorage has been pretty awesome and surpassed all of my nonexistent expectations for when i was drafted by them.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Chimkin Wing is going to be a dad! He recently found out that the lady of the night he visited in Albuquerque in the off season is with child. Not only that, but also the other eight ladies of the night, his “regulars”, if you will, throughout the United States and Canada are currently with child. He has already calculated the child support figures and he has asked Lee for a $10m per year contract moving forward, that way he’ll break even and still be able to afford his crippling addiction to sniffing model glue. Lee said no, along with “you’re lucky you’re even on this team of winners, you absolute loser clown” and “where are your pants?” Chimkin Wing is excited to bring 9 healthy, happy and completely neglected babies in the near future.
In other news, no surprise to anyone, Chimkin Wing has zero points in two games in the playoffs. I knew he was going to suck, but man he’s bad.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Something that surprised Mat Smith when he first started playing hockey was just how difficult it is to play goalie. All his favourite players growing up in the minors and the SHL, Cedric Robinson, Tibuk Soonika, and Kata Vilde to name a few, had always made it look so easy, so Smith figured that with his good reflexes it should be a piece of cake. This was not the case, however, as during warmups before his first start ever as a goalie he attempted to do the splits and ended up pulling a muscle and having to watch all his friends play without him for a few months. This almost caused Smith to give up hockey altogether, but he persevered, trained his flexibility, and came back strong for the start of the next season ready to go. It was only a few years later that some scouts in the SMJHL saw some potential in him, and a couple years after that he was somewhere nobody ever thought he'd be, in the SHL, watching and learning from one of his childhood heros as Tibuk Soonika and the Chicago Syndicate went on a run all the way to the Challenge Cup. Smith still has a ways to go before he's as good as those he watched growing up, but with enough time, practice, and perseverance, he's hoping to make a name for himself alongside them.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

PBE Affiliate

Did Ya Get It?

[Image: OwNf3O9.gif]

I would say that winning an MVP was definitely an unexpected event for Jimmy Slothface in his life. Overall for his career Jimmy has been fairly above average, but not necessarily at the top of the list when it came to offensive players. His max points in STHS was 44 and that wasn't even at his highest TPE level. Slothface had a pretty good season in season 55 with New Orleans when he scored 64 points in 50 games, but that was still 8th in the league and 11 points behind the points leader. That appeared to be his ceiling in the league. Then two seasons later he broke out for 87 points in 66 games in season 57. For some reason it just clicked for Slothface at center that season and he put up really good offensive numbers while logging a lot of heavy minutes for the Los Angeles Panthers. He's fallen off a bit after winning that MVP, so I think that the MVP was a bit of a surprise and an outlier for him. He's still had a pretty solid career though.

185 words

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

PBE PT These prompts are way better tho

[Image: 4x2jj4a.gif]
S58 Elias Armia Award Winner

Code:
What is an unexpected event from SHL history? A trade, a signing, a playoff upset, a hiring, a draft pick - any surprise can fit the bill here.

Something that unexpected during my time in the SHL would have to be how the Edmonton  Blizzard managed to draft one of the premier Defensemen in the league when they drafted Karl Scholz with the very last pick in S46 and how he managed to fall that far. Karl is one of the most respected Defensemen in the league and is one of the key players to Edmonton's success. How a top line and top earning defensemen almost end up not even being drafted is mind boggling for me. However, I am very glad to have Karl as a teammate and friend in Edmonton and we both were in the same draft class and I am surprised I ended up being drafted before him. Not many of us S46 are left, but the ones that are about to hit 15% regression soon and since I am getting pretty old that will be the end of my career.

Lucky to have you on the  Blizzard Karl as one of the best Defensemen in the league! 

(174 words)

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

The New Orleans Specters won their first ever Challenge Cup in S54 in dominating fashion, sweeping the Hamilton Steelhawks in 4 games. Not even 12 hours later, they made a massive trade. They sent their game 4 OT winning goal scorer Mitchell van der Heijden, Erben Kasius, and Stein Nilsen along with a first and a second to the New England Wolfpack for Rex Kirkby and Boris Poroshenko. The Wolfpack got significantly younger and this move was one of several for them as well. This move significantly boosted the Specters giving them a number one defenseman that they were looking for and a strong 2C as well. Ultimately, they would fall in seven games to the Buffalo Stampede in the S55 Challenge Cup finals. It’s hard to say if either team really won this trade as very few of the players involved are still with their respective teams and neither has had much success since, but it was a bold move for the Specters to make just hours after winning their first championship.

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]