Create Account

S59 PT #5 - An Unexpected Surprise

Kata Vilde had a major surprise in his life, finding out he was the illegitimate son of Randy Macho Man Savage. His mother was a huge wrestling fan who had met Savage backstage at a European WWE tour and he was so enamored with her they became an item on that tour and well, young Kata was the result. It wasn't until many years later after his father had passed that his mother finally told him the truth about his heritage. She hadn't wanted to ruin Savage's career with a scandal so she kept the knowledge to herself. Kata had always been athletic and it now made sense that with his genetic background he would excel at sport. As a tribute to his father in the offseasons, Vilde trained as a professional wrestler and has put on several charity events, The Calgary management has been for the most part understanding praying that their netminder wouldn't injure himself with his offseason activities but Vilde has been able to continue his high level of play as his career is winding down.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

One of the more surprising thing that has occurred in Linds career was the fact that he was picked up by the scouts from the SMJHL. Coming from a small community in the remote north of Sweden, playing on a local team, it was a random set of events that made it so he was on the radar of the scouts for the S57 SMHJL draft. The interest that was garnered from international media once Tomas was first presented on the scouting rankings also came out of the blue and he was taken aback when the first reporter ended up on his doorstep asking for an interview. All of this culminated in a trip across an entire ocean, a life in a new and much larger city, developing new relationships and playing for a great team, none of which was in the scope of his dreams when he grew up.

[Image: 8E70VfU.png]

[Image: canadice.gif]
Thanks to @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @Carpy48 and @High Stick King, for the signatures

[Image: jZtKPwK.png] | [Image: RyzkmSj.png] | [Image: HKi05IH.png]

[Image: EzY5jpl.png]

I was gonna write about Kou Saotome's life, but instead I'm gonna be petty and talk about how the most surprising event to me in SHL history was not one, but two high earning players going undrafted in the SHL Draft last season. Like, I understand some teams not wanting to deal with potential locker room issues, but that was something else. Even real life teams draft locker room cancer if the player is good and in the SHL you can literally just not bring them into the locker room. If they're wiling to stay out of your locker room, then draft them for the player on the ice, ya know? I mean, this was a situation that's led to conversations about constrictive roster limits and expansion when it should also be considered from a human perspective. Think about how people feel when you tell them they're not wanted. All this fanfare every year for BellLetsTalk, but apparently there's enough people who don't want to confront the idea that they might be the ones who are perpetuating harmful environments.
So yeah, the most surprising thing was for that to happen to two high-earning users at the same time. And also almost happening to me twice, Rocky was drafted so low that other teams had passed on their pick instead of taking her. The fact that this happened to me twice, something should be done to prevent it from happening that often.

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

I wanted to start off by saying I love point tasks like this that require the members of the site to delve into the history of how the league got to where it is today.

The Hamilton Steelhawks have existed since the dawn of the SHL, expending numerous eras of general managers before landing on Hallsy in S45. Since then, they have won three Challenge Cups and are once again among the favourites this season. The success of this franchise has to have some part to thank of the front office's willingness to make big splashes in the trade and free agency markets.

Back in July of 2020, Hamilton made a trade with New England that rocked the site to its core. Hamilton brought in two 2000 TPE players in Guy Zheng and Dick Clapper while parting ways with seven different assets. These include Troy McClure, Krišs Dārziņš, and Andrei Kostitsyn. The other four pieces were draft selections in the next four seasons, starting in season 55, and all in the first round. A heavy price to pay for two players, but considering the stature of said players, it seems to have paid off considering the Steelhawks have won two Challenge Cups in four seasons since making this trade, and on their way to their third in five seasons.

An unexpected event from a very long time ago actually ended up becoming a codified rule here in the SHL. It was the Jack Crasher incident. Way, way, WAY back in ye old days of the SHL, almost ten years ago. It was so long ago that I'd wager less than 50 people who are still active on the forum would have been present for it. So long ago that I barely remember it, but it sticks in my memory just enough because of the absolute freak out that everyone had over it at the time. Jack Crasher had always been... a character. I didn't know him very well personally and I don't think we were ever in the same LR but when the community is so small, big personalities stand out. He decided to test free agency and the jist of it was that he promised every team he spoke too that he'd sign with them. Queue all of them announcing or ready to announce the big free-agent signing of the season and everyone finding out that he'd fucked with them all. He got banned for it but it was pretty damn funny, a huge surprise to everyone, and he has the lasting legacy of having a rule made up because of him. How many more players can say they make that much of an imprint on the league?

230 words

Andren Akerson (Present)
Adrik Baranov (S55 to S70)
Rurik Razin (S32 to S44)
Roy Razin (S17 to S32) (HOF/Rage HOF)
Audun Wissink (S5 to S15)

[Image: ycHSwqN.jpg]

Hamilton coaching during early 50s which surprised whole league at the time.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

What is unexpected/surprising is the for Esa, the first and last cup he won were both reverse sweeps. The First one being in S27 where the calgary dragons beat Hamilton, after going down 3-0 in the series. Then the next time it happened was in S50, where they were again down 3-0 against the Tampa Bay Barracuda, until they again got back into it and finally beat them in 7. Both are fitting for Esa since it was the first and last cup that he won. It is also insane that they can reverse sweep is nuts because of that. In STHS it is hard to win 4 games in a row, especially since you are down 3 games. It can easily be a sweep, but now you can claim teh fact that you reverse sweeped and cause the pain for the Tampa Bay. Especially JSS. Dont forget about JSS

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

An unexpected event that happened in the life of Shion Okamoto? Well, there definitely have been many unexpected events in his life. As a small time player from a small city in Japan, no one really expected him to achieve the amount that he has so far. He was not even expected to make in the SMJHL, but he persevered. His most unexpected event in his career definitely has to be going MIA and dropping off the face of the earth during his rookie season with the Newfoundland Berserkers. It was an unfortunate lapse in his career. However, he did managed to bounce bank and get back into training and managed to stick with the team, even after going undrafted in the S58 SHL entry draft. It really was unexpected how Shion Okamoto managed to bounce back from being undrafted in the SHL to later being drafted by the Chicago Syndicate in the following season, but he is thankful for it.

[S78] #14 C | Jon Garfield
[SMJHL] Regina Elk

[S58] #72 LD | Shion Okamoto
[SMJHL] Newfoundland Berserkers | Former Captain | S60, S62 Four Star Cup
[SHL]  Chicago Syndicate | S64 Challenge Cup
[IIHF] Team Japan | S60 Gold

The event I'm about to write about happened with my previous player Ti-Guy Emond. This was my first experience in a sim league and it really came as a surprise to me back then. Now with a better understanding how things work it's pretty mild but whatever that's the first thing that came to mind. I was drafted to a bad Toronto Stars team starting a rebuild. The team just drafted at second overall Bobby Watson in the draft before mine. With him and guys like Mikhail Lokitonov, Bob Bergen, Anders Christiensen and Tommy Muford the future look bright. But not even 4 seasons later him and Muford left the team. Tommy just signed a 1 year 10M contract and ask for a trade during the season, a tough pill to swallow for guys taking friendly deals hoping to help the rebuild process. It really hurt the team's morale, the GM stepped down and pretty much the whole 40s was a wasted decade for Toronto.

[Image: opt6vpu.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2021, 06:02 PM by hockeyiscool.)

Dwight Knight has already had an illustrious sports career prior to joining the Simulation Hockey League. As some of you may already know from the Highland games, Dwight was known for being a Champion at the Caber Toss but his career was cut short from a surprise of sustaining burn out and physical injury. Dwight sustained a medial collateral ligament injury that sidelined the champ right around the time he was experienced a loss in love for the sport that had given him so much. This knee injury has been something that has negatively affected Dwight's SHL career. If you tracked Dwight's career skating has always been his biggest weakness and it still is. Dwight is at best one of the lowest ranked skaters in the SHL but he's been able to thrive due to his existing strength and his near addictive willingness to learn. The speed Dwight has been able to learn different hockey schemes and where he should be on the ice has been one of the quickest in the league. However you can still notice this knee injury as Dwight's agility is just bad. He constantly gets hit but people then ricochet off of him. But he has undergone further rehabilitation this off-season and it looks like Dwight is coming into his own as a skater.

An unexpected surprise is simply the mere existence of Nike Kickz Jr. If we know anything about the track record of the last few players brought along by Kickz Jr's player agent, then we know that there is a pretty good chance that this player was never going to make it through his first season. Yet, despite all of the odds, Kickz Jr remains a mainstay on the Newfoundland roster. Another pretty big and unexpected surprise for Kickz Jr is just how much he has enjoyed the task of playing down the middle for the Berzerkers. Having been pretty committed to becoming a strong playmaking winger, when the team asked Kickz to do something unexpected, he rose to the challenge and worked on his faceoff game. Since then, I would say that he has surprised everyone by turning into one of the SMJHL's dominant two-way centers. A real force on the penalty kill who also isn't afraid to go on the offensive with a star studded cast around him. So, yeah there's been quite a few unexpected surprises in the life of Nike Kickz Jr.

[Image: kickz_jr.png]
Thanks to Merica for my sig

I think an unexpected surprise from SHL history was the first reverse sweep in the cup finals in S27 by the Calgary Dragons over the Hamilton Steelhawks. Many current members may not have been around for that but it was a historic event in the league as it had never happened before. Going into the S27 Challenge Cup Finals Calgary had not won a cup since S9 and had a 17 season cup drought. They played well in the first 3 games of the finals but quickly found themselves down 0-3 to the Steelhawks. Young GM Esa Anrikkanen did some line tweaking and they came back to win 3 games in a row and force game 7! Game 7 of the cup finals would live up to the hype going to overtime when Calgary rookie Michael Burch scored the game 7 overtime winner for the Dragons to complete the epic comeback and first ever reverse sweep in SHL history! One of the more exciting Challenge Cup Finals in league history, for everyone except Hamilton. Either way a historic event and anytime a reverse sweep happens it's a big surprise. There's only ever been one other reverse sweep in the cup finals since, again completed by Calgary, this time in S50 against Tampa Bay, so they hold a pretty cool distinction there.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

After just a couple of seasons in the SHL and now living in Los Angeles, Elias Kierkegaard has finally saved up enough money to buy his very own restaurant. Now open on the Santa Monica boardwalk is "Guddommelig". Kierkegaard has a passion for food and health. It had always been a dream of his to bring his nations cultural dishes to his now home on the West Coast. of course the national dish, Smørrebrød, is the most renown item on the menu. Another fan favorite is the Pølser, which is a luxurious street hot dog but with a vegan twist. It wasn't just a dream come true to be able to open up his own restaurant though. The bigger surprise was the day that Guy Fieri himself stopped in one afternoon. Not only was Elias star struck but he was honored when Guy said he would feature his restaurant on an episode of Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. That was the biggest off ice surprise for Elias this season.

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

In my humble opinion, I believe the biggest surprise in my players career occurred when I played for the New England wolfpack under the tutelage of my now Atlanta Inferno GM @hotdog. My now co-GM @goldenglutes single handedly ruined the team by requesting a trade, leading to myself being traded. Ola Wagstrom being traded. The Y man being traded. Benjamin blue being traded? Whoever Assclaps player is being traded. Maybe even one more person I can not recall off the top of my end. This one dude, however, sewered New England, resulting in a team that had just won the Presidents' trophy one season prior, to enter a full on rebuild. They got 4 firsts in exchange for me and G, two or 3 firsts for stammer, a bunch of shit from Nola and wherever blue went if he even was traded. And now, 5 seasons later, Alaska is still giving me shit about how they are a rebuilding team. Lets fucking see the results, don't pick ppl like Grandmaster Funk 5 OA.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

(This post was last modified: 05-25-2021, 02:02 AM by yonggarius.)

ISFL PT