Create Account

S64 PT #3: Trick Play

Hockey prompt

Trick plays huh? That's an interesting question. I think they definitely have a place in the game, I just think they don't really work with the current style of game that's played in the National Hockey League. I think the biggest factors in limiting the amount of trick plays that happen/are successful would be the speed of the game and the space available to pull these moves off. Hockey today is played with such speed, the time required to pull these moves off just isn't there. The separation needed from your opponents isn't available. And also, I don't think the North American ice surface is helpful either, being much smaller than its European counterpart. This would also stop these trick plays from happening. Overall, I just don't think hockey is the sport that really allows trick plays. These moves take precision and calculating and there is too much going on, and so much unpredictability, that it makes it very tough.

Hockey is getting stale according to our coach and he wants to be the one to change the game in a fundamental way.  It used to be a game where you needed enforcers on the ice to fight for you and now the game has moved to more of a speed and finesse game and the days of the fourth line bruiser are all but gone.  Regardless, coach thinks there is a way to improve even beyond where we are now.  When he outlined his plan, it sounded crazy.  I actually had to check the calendar quickly on my phone to make sure that it wasn't April 1st.  I soon realized that he was dead serious about this plan.  Of course this prompt would be a sneaky attempt to steal all of the great ideas to implement for their teams so I cannot reveal exactly what we plan to do but when you see it, people's heads may actually explode.  We are bringing in extra clean up crews for that game just in case they do.  It will be amazing.

Code:
180 words

[Image: kpALfz6.jpg]
Gritty McGritterson Player Page
Gritty McGritterson Update Page

S53 Four Star Cup Champion- Detroit Falcons
S56 Challenge Cup Champion - Hamilton Steelhawks

PT Pass

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

CREATIVE PROMPT

The signature play I created involves many things. First, there is plenty of fan misdirection. I instruct some random fans in seats about 10 rows from ice all around the rink to scream the words "yip yip yip" in unison. This is to happen as soon as the puck enters the offensive zone. As soon as that is complete, I perform a three-rotation whirling dervish and slide the puck through my legs as my back is facing the net on my second rotation. My teammate takes the puck to the back of the net and waits to be challenged by an opponent. Then, he flips the puck over the net, it lands on my back as I pretend to be injured. I then quickly stand straight up causing the puck to fall and drift towards the net. A third teammate lies on the ice, kisses the puck, and gently pushes it forward with his nose for a one-timer. I slap the puck from about 5 feet away. Goal!

[Image: U9GyyHt.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2022, 10:47 AM by notoriousTRON. Edited 1 time in total.)

My trick play is elaborate and involves a lot of prior planning. Like a lot. First you have to convince a player in their prime to retire. Someone like Danny Marston. Then you "hire" that player as your "head coach." Next you begin the season with your new "head coach" calling the shots on the bench. You go through most of your schedule as such. Then in the game in which you want to deploy your long con, such as a road game against Hamilton, you dress one less skater. Make sure your "coach" puts on his pads under his suit. For added convenience, you can even have him dress for hockey from the waist down since that part will be hidden by the bench walls. Then, when you need a goal. Say you're down one and headed to the power play, your "coach" throws on his Marston jersey and jumps over the boards. Your opponent, having prepared for this game using film that did not include Marston, will be flabbergasted and likely confused when a player of this caliber jumps onto the ice for his first shift. Of course, you will know that Marston's coaching hire was a ruse up to this point and that he's in full hockey shape with fresh legs for the playoff run. After you obviously completely the come from behind victory, you can either keep the player on your active roster, or put him back behind the bench to keep opponents guessing. 

Thoughts @Capt_Blitzkrieg?

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

Prompt 2

The reason you don't see much of this is an easy explanation to be honest. A team can draw up as many trick places as possible in practice, but it is hard to account for what the other team is going to do. The other team has 5 skaters on the ice, that is 5 skaters that you would have to fool and that you can't predict what they are going to do. When you add in these 5 skaters it also takes a lot more room off of the ice, making trick plays happen, have to happen fast and quick in limited space.

Thats why as you said, you see goals such as the Michigan or plays going between the legs etc because it is easier for one player to do in a tight space. Compared to trying to a time a trick play for a full line up to execute. In hockey, and how fast it is - it is just to hard to make true trick plays.

170+ words

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

HOCKEY PROMPT- If you don't want to get wacky, then I have a question for you about the actual game of hockey. Do trick plays have a place in the sport?

Absolutely they do! Hockey in general suffers form an old mans game syndrome. Coaches and general managers get recycled through the system because teams don't want to take risks on new thinking. It's understandable, but leads to everyone adopting the same system that has been refined for so long. There is no want for GMs to hire coaches who are different, because if their difference isn't immediately apparent and beneficial, then it is the GM's head on the chopping block. Likewise coaches generally don't see success by playing this way, so the ones who are open to being different are shunned at lower levels and unless they see extreme success don't get promoted all the way up.
Trick plays work because they are unexpected. They confuse the defense. The fans absolutely love them and in rare circumstances can even change the course of the game. Influence either rules or teams adopt to the strategy, which is healthy for the sport.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

I have always wanted to get a chance like this because I feel there is a lot of potential on using other parts of your body to set up a play. This would start from behind the goalie with a normal stick pass. Now when we get to center ice things get spicy. With 4 skaters they will only pass the pick with their feet without going into the opposing teams zone. This will tire out their shift and set up the big finale for our play. one of the defenseman will flip the puck high into the offensive zone, while the two fastest skaters enter the zone, one of them towards the puck and the other setting up for the goal. The one receiving the puck will use their head to pass the puck to their other teammate, throwing everyone off and leaving the last man open for an easy shot. The tiki taka on ice will shake the shl world

Raptors Raptors  Raptors Raptors Raptors Raptors

Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge Forge 

Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany Germany 

[Image: drokeep.gif]

The first kind of trick play that comes to mind is something I'll call "haha you're blind now!" There will be a strip of laser pointers lining the boards all the way around the hockey rink. Each pointer can move on a swivel and the whole system targets every opposing player at once. The coach just has to flip a switch at the bench and suddenly every player on the opposing team is being blinded by laser pointers to the eyes. This makes for easy chances to score as the opposing team just starts ramming into the side and has no idea what to do to continue play. They may know where the action is based on all the noise and can scoot their way over to the general area, but that's why we have snow shovel attachments on our hockey sticks: to push them aside if they're blocking the zone. I knew those would come in handy at some point!

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

https://forums.sim-football.com/showthre...#pid581122 - ISFL affiliate claim

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

creative prompt -

My pitch to my coach Jess to push the boundaries of the sport would involve hiring some master engineers to help create new and exciting stick technology along with placing corporate plants within the SHL to help change the rules of on-ice play. The advancement in stick technology is key. We engineer a spinning barring at the lower shaft of the stick and drive motor throughout the middle portion along with controls up top towards the nobby end, allowing finer control of angle and spin on our players' shot. But why stop at using a single stick? Part two of my master plan involves allowing teammates to exchange and lend their sticks on the fly, kind of like if a goalie hops off the ice you get another player to skate around - as long as there are only 6 sticks in play you can use them however you like. Having folks in the right places will help swap the rule changes our way.

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

Hockey Prompt:

To answer your question with another question, what is a trick play? Would you define something like using a mini stick on a breakaway as a gimmick or a trick play? Or, is a trick play merely something that tricks the opponents? If it's the latter, how could you possibly say they have no place in the sport? The end result of any play is to beat your opponent and put yourself in a better position to achieve your goal. Could you imagine hockey without head fakes, drop passes, slap passes or even bank passes? Removing trick plays would be tantamount to turning a great sport into a tabletop mockery of its former great self and would result in its gristly death.

If you find yourself defining plays as gimmicky and simply too flashy for a once-great sport then you would be indisputably wrong. A player is not a gimmick merely because they have the talent to scoop the puck and pull off the Michigan in the same way that a larger, stronger player is not a gimmick. The only gimmick in hockey is fighting; it has no effect on the outcome of games and does not provide any tangible boon to the players with a better fighter on their bench.

[Image: SS19INy.jpg]

[Image: d9J5DHT.png]  [Image: 16PgOBm.png]

WSBL PT

[Image: zayn.png?ex=65e9b101&is=65d73c01&hm=c0f0...y=lossless]
Kyle Sux Lmap

[Image: oKA5bW9.png]

I do not have to explain the flying v.

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]

I guess it depends what you call a trick play. Is the Michigan considered a trick play, i guess it could be but isn't that really just considered a skill shot? I am unsure whether that really is a trick play. I think if we consider the Michigan a trick play, then I would say it has a place in hockey. It is a skill shot. Hockey is about skill at the end of the day. If players are able to score by having the puck on their stick and as long as its below the crossbar then it is a goal.

One trick play I can see if the flying V which obviously probably would be disastrous if it didn't work but generally isn't really realistic in a real game of hockey. I do not think you can really have much trick plays in hockey, but maybe I am too dumb to really think of any. I think the more skill there is in hockey the better really...

177 words

[Image: tylard13.gif]
Made by Rindiee, rum_ham & Carpy

Jacob Mueller S5-S
Julien Dupont S6-S13
S9 Challenge Cup - Calgary Dragons
IIHF Gold - Germany
Rufus Reinhart S13-S24
S14 Challenge Cup - Texas Renegades
Christoffer Björnsson - S25-S35
S25 Four Stars Cup
S26 Tom Corcoran Trophy - SMJHL Top Goalie