Create Account

S72 PT #0: Trades, Trades, Trades

ISFL Affiliate

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

One of the worst trades in St. Louis Blues history was the deal that sent Chris Pronger to the Edmonton Oilers in August 2005. Pronger, a dominant defenseman and team captain, was a crucial cornerstone of the Blues franchise and a fan favorite. The trade was made after Pronger requested to be moved following contract disputes. In exchange for Pronger, the Blues received a package that included defensemen Eric Brewer, Doug Lynch, and forward Jeff Woywitka. While Brewer had a respectable tenure with the Blues, the overall impact of the trade was heavily one-sided in favor of the Oilers. Pronger's departure left a massive void on the blue line and significantly weakened the team's defensive prowess. Compounding the issue, Pronger went on to have tremendous success with the Oilers, leading them to the Stanley Cup Finals in 2006 and winning the Hart Trophy as league MVP. Meanwhile, the Blues struggled to find a suitable replacement for their former star, making this trade a painful reminder of a missed opportunity and a major setback for the franchise.

176 Words

PT#0 – Written Task - 160 Words

So, the worst trade that I can think of related to my team was when Peter Chiarelli traded Tyler Seguin, Rich Peverley, and Ryan Button to the Dallas Stars for Loui Eriksson, Joe Morrow, Reilly Smith, and Matt Fraser. To this day, I cannot fathom why they thought it made sense for them to move on from such a young promising talent in Tyler Seguin, especially in a deal with no draft capital coming back in return. It was a massive floundering by the professional scouts, and that trade should have ended Chiarelli’s tenure as General Manager that day. Some rumors have emerged post-trade that Seguin had engaged in indecent acts with a teammate’s wife, and the daughter of the General Manager, so that may have played a part in the GM fuming and sending the young Ontario-born forward down to Texas. Despite Seguin’s extracurricular activities, I still cannot tolerate the abysmal return he brought the club in that trade.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother

Prompt 1

Well lets take a look at the 2023 trade deadline to get started on a horrible trade. The first one being between Tampa and the Nashville predators. Tampa Bay Lightning acquire forward Tanner Jeannot from the Nashville Predators in exchange for defenseman Cal Foote, a conditional 1st-round pick in the 2025 NHL Draft, a 2nd-round pick in the 2024 NHL Draft and 3rd-, 4th- and 5th-round picks in the 2023 NHL Draft. What a haul for Nashville in this trade, I like Jeannot, but he is not worth a prospect and 1st, let alone adding a second. Jeannot had a horrible finish to the season and playoffs. The only saving grace for Tampa is him resigning and being able to redeem himself next season.

Going further back in history it is hard not to talk about Gretzky trade. With edmonton sending Gretzky to the LA kings, essentially for the sole reason that owner was having financial difficulties. Another trade that hurt me as an oiler fan growing up is when they let Ales Hemsky go. Hemsky was my favorite player and essentially ran out of town by the media. He was the bright spot on the team during the decade of darkness in edmonton.
200+

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

Overall New Orleans has had a pretty good trade history just look at the blockbuster Lil’ Manius trade of season 49, amazing. What shrewd management New Orleans has. Although is asking about the worst New Orleans trade had to when the specters traded those draft picks for guy the Joe cannot remember the name of. What a disaster, they went inactive immediately after the trade. How do I know this was the worst trade after along stint of inactivity. Simple I asked Joe K what was the worst trade he made. I would have done research and broke down the number but Joe was no help in aiding in my research on this. Love you, Joe. Either way he traded multiple picks which if all those picks stayed active would be huge for any team although to lose that opportunity for a low TPE player that goes inactive that hurts. I wish I has better info for this task but that is all the GM could give me.
Word ~168

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Prompt 1

Though the Tampa Bay Lightning have had some... odd... trades in their admittedly short existence, no trade in recent history has been considered as preposterous than a trade that saw not one but TWO players from their back to back stanley cup run go to the expansion Seattle Kraken with next to nothing in return.

Part one to this is their decision to not protect the spark plug Brandon Tanev. Sure, he's not Mr fundamentals when it comes to his play but his intangibles were on another level. He was the energy of the back to back pens. But that's something they couldn't really avoid. They needed to leave someone open for the Kraken and would they really dump Crosby/Malkin? Tanev was just an inevitable casualty to the system. The problem is the other part: Jared McCann. Now as a Bolts fan, I know McCann VERY well. He was an absolute asshole to play against at times when he played for the Panthers. He had a bit of an injury bug but overall he could bury the biscuit if left unattended. GMJR decided "Ehh, might as well get something back for him if we're gonna lose him anyway" and promptly trades him to Toronto for an AHL prospect Filip Hallander, who has played (checks notes) 3 career NHL games. Now here's the thing about this trade. It's not about McCann at this point. He was gone regardless. But that trade resulted in a trade where Brandon Tanev is lost for a failed prospect? In what world does this make sense?

269 words

[Image: photostudio-1710898490476.jpg]

WRITTEN TASK: Tell me about the worst trade your team has ever made. This can be your SHL team, or any professional hockey team you cheer for in real life. If you choose your SHL team, please don't use this to flame your GM - they're doing their best!

I'm going to diverge slightly from the prompt and focus on the best trade that could have been and never was instead. My second player in the SHL was Otis B. Driftwood a defenseman for the Calgary Dragons. This was primarily during the S 50's era.

At this time my boy and legendary SHL'er Bonk had a player named Lil' Manius on the Winnipeg Jets. Calgary had Eggy's player at the time, a forward who's name I can't remember but it had something to do with My Little Pony. Bonk was killing it with the tpe , eventually reaching the 2000 tpe mark and his activity was very high.

Eggy at this time was commissioner of the SHL and a generally well regarded figure around the league. However, he was low key not very active in either the head office or the locker room at the time.

It seemed obvious to me that we should trade Eggy to the Jets and get Bonk back in return. I know they would have gone for it as Eggy was the higher profile guy and ironically seen as a safer bet.

Esa, the Calgary GM at the time couldn't get his head out of his ass long enough to make the deal and it never happened. The end

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

Being an Oilers fan, there are so...so many to choose from. That is the unfortunate truth about being in the furthest north NHL city. Star players do not want to play here and when we do get a star player through the draft or a trade we typically see them move on because we can't afford to keep them. I know a lot of people who would see I am an Oilers fan would instantly assume the worst trade would be the Gretzky trade, and to a degree you are right. I was around when that trade happened. But for me the worst trade would be the first and second round picks for Griffen Reinhart. It was a franchise altering off season as we could have had an amazing future. Instead of an all world talent Matt Brazal, which we could have drafted in the first round, we picked up a defender that did not show any signs of becoming a future NHLer further slowing the rebuild. That one hurt. I can't help but look back and wonder how much further a head the Oilers would have been at that point if they never pulled the trigger on such a ridiculous trade.

[Image: Ak8rQKy.png?width=675&height=375]
Sig by Lazyeye
[Image: image.png?width=600&height=300]
Sig by DaBoot
Knights Timber pride

There are no recent trades in Texas Renegades history that have impacted the team in a bad way. All of them have resulted in active players joining the team at a cost of a future pick while not losing any sort of strong blue chip prospect or roster player. Previously, before the Renegades big rebuild, there was an attempt at retooling the team and salvaging what was left to make another cup run while gaining players instead of picks. In those trades, Texas lost some very very valuable 1st round picks that would have been quintessential piece to Texas's rebuild. Those players that were gained ended up going inactive or did not want to be part of the Renegades in any way and were either traded or eventually moved to inactive free agency. In the end those trades did not impact the overall rebuild as Texas was successfully able to manage their future picks to take full advantage of three great draft classes to build their current core.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

Affiliate PBE PT

PBE PT

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

As a fan of the Tampa Bay Lightning there haven't been many disaster level trades in recent memory. There have been a couple of "meh" trades, and a couple of low risk, high reward trades that didn't pan out, but it's tough any of them as outright disasters. The one trade that comes to mind as one that approaches that level is the Anders Lindback trade back in 2012. The Lightning had been struggling to find a #1 option in net since cup winner Khabibulin left. They had recently drafted Andrei Vasilevskiy as the goalie of the future, but that future was still several seasons away and the Lightning were a playoff team right now and in desperate need of an upgrade in net to have a realistic shot at making a run. Lindback was a young goalie who had seen limited NHL time as a backup to Pekka Rinne, but seemed to be oozing with potential. Standing at 6'6", he'd been fairly strong in the small number of games he'd played in and it took two 2nds and a 3rd to pry him away from Nashville. The results were.... not good. Lindback was an absolute sieve in the Lightning's playoff series against Montreal, getting absolutely shelled and frequently failing to stop even the most routine shots. Ultimately, he would be pulled for Kristers Gudlevskis, a goalie who probably would be little more than an afterthought if it weren't for a legendary performance for Latvia against Canada. Gudlevskis was a vast improvement over Lindback, but he never really was pegged as a NHL starter and the Lightning's search for a starter continued. The reason this trade isn't considered by most to be a total disaster is the fact that the Lightning did find their answer in goal the next season when they traded for Ben Bishop. Bishop would mind the net admirably until Vasilevskiy was ready to take over, and even better he cost very little: Cory Conacher, an undrafted, undersized rookie forward who had been having surprising production through 30 games or so, but would never maintain those numbers, and a fourth round draft pick. In the end, Lindback's poor goaltending only hurt them for one postseason, and the Lightning found their answer in net by the next season.

Citadelles  S68 - Jarrod Lakemore - C Stampede

I think the worst trade for me in SHL is tough as there's not too many with my current team, I definitely could go back and look at plenty of trades I did as a GM in the past that were bad, but I'll look to the NHL for this one. As a Penguins fan I think the choice would be fairly obvious for a lot of fans that are thinking more recently, with expansion to be exact. Trading Marc Andre Fleury to Vegas for a 2nd round pick had to be the dumbest thing for the Penguins. Coming off a couple cups in the not too recent past by injury prone Matt Murray and deciding to ride the young injured goalie over the proven stud who had been there for like 17 seasons. Will never not make me angry thinking about it as the Pens are now in goalie hell and have been since that trade. Could have easily kept Fleury and been in a good spot for a few more season at least as he's still performing at a very high level for his age.

187 words

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

SSL Affiliate

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

PT Pass

[Image: blix900.gif]

[Image: QwTZD8C.png][Image: iemKOIk.png]