Create Account

S72 PT #0: Trades, Trades, Trades

Please pick ONE prompt to write about. Do not mix and match prompts. Identify the prompt you are using in your submission - Copying and pasting the prompt will deduct from your word count so if you do this make sure YOUR submission is 150+ words excluding the prompt.

PROMPT 1: The Trade is 1 for 1

WRITTEN TASK: Tell me about the worst trade your team has ever made. This can be your SHL team, or any professional hockey team you cheer for in real life. If you choose your SHL team, please don't use this to flame your GM - they're doing their best!

GRAPHIC TASK: Show me the trade, and design an emoji to represent your honest reaction upon seeing this trade. While I don't expect you to go through every single emoji on every single platform to make sure yours is unique, please don't use one we'll all recognize immediately.

PROMPT 2: Steve Dangle Content

WRITTEN TASK: Tell me about your favorite trade tree! This can either be in the SHL or in real professional hockey, and does not have to involve your team.

GRAPHIC TASK: Illustrate your favorite trade tree, in the SHL or in real hockey.

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

All responses are due on Sunday, July 30th at 11:59 PST. NOTE: IF YOU SUBMIT/EDIT AFTER THE DEADLINE YOU WILL RECEIVE REDUCED/NO TPE.

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL or WSLB or SSL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.

If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded. The graders reserve the right to determine malicious intent, after discussion with me. You will not be warned.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only. If your player is S73, go do the junior tasks instead.

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

PT pass

[Image: zN6tB52.png]

PROMPT 1: The worst trade that the Winnipeg Aurora GM ever made was to trade some money to a home improvement store for a deck. For the next eighteen seasons, the deck was not completed, and...oh, you mean a player trade. Okay, so, the worst trade was up to 1OA to pick Lias Ekholm-Gunnarsson. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but now all Lias knows is McDonald's, charging his phone, twerk, be bisexual, eat hot kale chip, and lie. Okay, he scores a little every now and then too. And he does some community outreach work. But he's really obsessed with the spicy kale chips. Every practice, this guy shows up with a basket of freshly made kale chips that he's seasoned with some ungodly spicy pepper powder or something, and everyone on the team pretends to like them because they don't want to make him feel bad and he never seems to catch on that people are not enjoying the hellfire-dusted plant husks he is bringing in to feed the team.

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

PT Pass

[img]```[Image: W6NIRSC.jpg]

[Image: kaliyev-1.png]

(This post was last modified: 07-28-2023, 08:12 AM by Wally. Edited 1 time in total.)

This is Easy… Stupid Portland GM who traded Metzler to Buffalo for nuts and bolts. What an idiot. Oh or the same GM who traded a first and a solid player for rights for Crutchfield only to never get him under contract. But in all honesty, I think the one that came back to bite a franchise the most was actually a trade of a backup goalie to a contender just to get beat by said team and backup goaltender in the Finals of S35. Essentially at the trade deadline Mark Harter was traded back to Toronto at the TDL and as Toronto fell down 3-2 in the finals, Harter was put in and the SimonT momentum train started rolling as they cruised to Game 6 and 7 wins. Sometime I wonder what he was thinking, but most time I take solace in the fact that he was fired and never came back to the league again… or did he…

161 words

[Image: Wally.png]

Prompt 2.

I have only made one trade as a GM, so it is my favorite trade and it involved a fun little trade tree. It began back in the S70 SMJHL Draft, where YUM traded up to acquire DET's 13oa pick (which became Furious Chicken) and DET acquired YUM's 16oa pick (which became Theodore Svatos, who actually ended up going to YUM in a trade, where Detroit received an S71 1st (which became The Murray!!)), and Detroit also received YUM's S72 3rd from that initial trade.

Now, Detroit also made a trade with Carolina right after the S71 SMJHL Draft for CAR to acquire the signing rights to Sith Happens, and DET received a conditional pick of S72 CAR/REG 3rd, whichever pick is later. Carolina did better in the regular season, so we got the CAR 3rd.

During the S72 SMJHL Draft, the number of prospects was dwindling and just after we made the 30oa pick, we realized we still had 37, 40, and 44oa. Quick on our feet, we made a trade to send the CAR 3rd (37oa) and YUM 3rd (40oa) to KEL to acquire their 3rd (32oa). This 32oa turned into Gavin Harrison, who has already been a terrific earner and looks to be one of the many great rookies in this Detroit roster!

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2023, 10:26 AM by trella. Edited 1 time in total.)

Prompt 2

My favorite trade tree is the Teddy Cuddles/Mike Izzy trade tree, which is of course a completely biased choice. The trade happened back in 2017 after the S36 entry draft where now notorious villain Mike Izzy and a 2nd round pick were traded for newly drafted Teddy Cuddles and a 1st round pick. Mike Izzy was probably the best prospect in the SHL at that time and was seen as a potentially franchise player, whereas Teddy Cuddles (myself) was mostly a nobody at that point. Many people believed the Calgary Dragons fleeced the Blizzard, and honestly it did look like an amazing deal for the Dragons. In return for a first next season and Cuddles who was drafted in the late 2nd round, they got a player as close as you could get to a guaranteed franchise defining player. While Mike Izzy did end up fulfilling this expectation, eventually even becoming the GM of the Dragons, the Blizzard made out well in this trade too. Teddy Cuddles went on the become a huge part of the Blizzard and the 1st rounder they received ended up becoming Tor Tuck, one of the best defenders of his generation. The 2nd round pick Calgary received became an inactive player, All three of Izzy, Cuddles, and Tuck made the Hall of Fame and helped their teams win challenge cups in the S40's and S50's. @DeletedAtUserRequest @ErM

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

PT Pass

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

Prompt 1: The Trade is 1 for 1

The worst trade the Edmonton Blizzard have made so far in their existence is the trade for their now current co-GM Alvin Wong.

Not only did the trade cost them a total of 9 draft picks (S72 - 1st, 3rd | S73 - 1st, 2nd, 2x3rds | S75 - 1st, 3rd, 4th) the supposed tampering scandal cost the team an additional 2 1st/2nd round picks. I cannot wait until to see how the trade tree for this turns out, the amount of early round draft picks, especially in strong draft classes could have created an entirely new expansion team's core. Unless Wong ends up turning out to be the 2nd coming of Jesus himself, I don't see much of a chance this trade pans out for Edmonton.

The guy is a total bust and will be a 3rd line slogger for his entire career. I guess only time will tell how this plays out for all parties, maybe Edmonton will win a cup!

162 words.

[Image: EdmTeamPhoto.png?ex=6605c039&is=65f34b39...height=623]
Edmonton Blizzard Co-GM
Yukon Malamutes Hall of Fame
[Image: NwdnVLP.png][Image: fDB9MNX.png] 
[Image: 3j8MIXU.png]
Granny Panpan Count: 258

PBE Affiliate

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

Code:
WC: 386 Words

-----

Remember back in 2006? Mike O'Connell had just been fired back in March and the Boston Bruins had a massive hole in the front office at the position of General Manager.

Enter Jeff Gorton, and one of my all-time favorite trades in hockey history.

For the Bruins, Andrew Raycroft had seemed to be a real potential star. He won the Calder in 04, just before the lockout, and got Vezina votes the same year. But after the lockout and the shock trade of Thornton to San Jose, the 05-06 Bruins fell apart completely, posting absolutely terrible numbers and finishing bottom five in the league. Raycroft had completely flipped and started playing poorly (and through injuries), posting a sub-.900 SV%. Tim Thomas, in the meantime, had shown up completely out of nowhere at like, age 30, and so Raycroft became expendable.

Meanwhile, in Toronto, the goaltending situation couldn't have been the opposite. Belfour had gotten old, Tellqvist wasn't doing hot, and Aubin was a career backup. In the system, they had Justin Pogge, who had posted really solid stats while playing with the Hitmen, and a young Finnish goaltender that they'd drafted in the first round in 2005, who'd posted great numbers in Finland and at the World Juniors. Neither of those guys would be the immediate fix though, so Toronto sought experience that might bolster their goaltending now.

The trade?

Toronto receives Andrew Raycroft from Boston in exchange for the rights to that young Finnish goaltender.

Tuukka Rask.

Raycroft would go on to be an absolute disaster for the Leafs, posting a sub-.900 SV% in 72 starts in his first year with them and would eventually be bought out of his contract in his third year with the team. They would go on to have a ridiculous carousel of goaltenders that only continues to date.

Meanwhile? Boston bolstered their team with Thomas while Rask developed and eventually became a Hall of Fame netminder that would, on multiple occasions, literally come back to haunt the Leafs in the playoffs. Rask became exactly the goaltender that Boston wanted him to be and Toronto wrote their own death warrants by handing him to a division rival. Even today, Rask still stands as the winningest goaltender that Toronto has ever drafted.

And every single win was with the Bruins.

[Image: MvfRxO2.png]
sigs by me bitch

Prompt 1 Written Task

I am still irate about the Rangers trading Ryan McDonagh. I may never even forgive anyone for it. Things obviously started going downhill for McDonagh and New York when they shipped Stepan off to Arizona which is ridiculous because HE BELONGS IN NEW YORK. HE WAS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL RANGER. Anyway. McDonagh won Rangers' MVP and Players' Player. He was CAPTAIN of the NEW YORK RANGERS. He was a defensive star and a face of the franchise but then we sent him AND JT FUCKING MILLER who is just happened to peak like right after he got traded which means WE SHOULD'VE WAITED A FEW YEARS away. One might think, "Well, this seems pretty bad, but maybe the return was for some key players in the current roster" No It Was Not. We got Namestnikov (currently a Jet), Libor Hajek (didn't even play a full NHL season with NYR, had 12 points and 40 PIM in 110 games, kept himself in Hartford and is now a UFA), Brett Howden (now a Stanley Cup Champion with Vegas), Tampa's 2018 first round pick where we picked Nils Lundkvist who also didn't do anything and is now in Dallas, and then a conditional 2019 first round which didn't pan out and then we drafted some guy named Karl Henriksson 58th overall and I don't even know him. Never mind I looked him up you'll NEVER guess where he is. He's STUCK IN FUCKING HARTFORD. Anyway I hope this explains my rightful ire because now Ryan McDonagh has 2 cups and the Rangers are never winning one again because my luck is so shit. 

270 words

[Image: sig-orwell.png]

[Image: LeBr8Bk.png]
thank you to sulo and enigmatic for the sigs!  Knights

Pt pass, but the funniest trade will always be the McZ trade. Or when Winnipeg went all in for 1 season in like S51 and didn’t make the playoffs or something like that

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

PT PASS

Pass Forfeit (D) ● Player Profile
Kraken Rage Panthers

[Image: esilverm.gif]
Special thanks to Blitz, jhockey, Ragnarr, and sulo for the gorgeous sigs <3

[Image: DG0jZcS.png]

Prompt 1
Well this is easy enough, I'm going for the apparent idea behind this one and go with a Ciarelli trade. Not the Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson though, because although that one is quite bad I think there is another one that's worse from around the same time.
Edmonton trades 16 and 33 overall in 2015 draft to New York Islanders for Griffin Reinhart. Griffin went on to basically be only "potential" after he was already floundering cracking a not great NHL roster. Edmonton gave up 2 good picks in which is looked back on as one of the best draft years ever. The literal players who were picked with those picks are Matthew Barzel, and Mitchell Stephens (who?). Now if you want to say they might not have taken Barzel, then cool - Kyle Connor and Thomas Chabot were drafted right after. Gems like Aho and Hintz were taken around 33 as well. Imagine what could have been. At least Vegas took Reinhart away in the expansion draft.

172 Words

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]