Create Account

S72 PT #0: Trades, Trades, Trades

Trades are dumb and stupid and let's talk about my least favorite trade I've ever seen in the SMJHL. So these two complete goofballs, @sve7en & Fuzz. The absolute genius Sve7en decided to trade his S61 6th away because it was just a funny thing to do for a meme trade, I can't even find the official trade. However, this caused a problem because some seasons ago, the wonderful @FuzzSHL decided to make a trade the S61 CAR 6th round pick to the perfect @_Blitz_ because of some shenanigans to get the 69th OA pick to STL if at all possible. https://simulationhockey.com/showthread....pid2867614 However, their conditionals did save their asses, CAR traded a 2nd and a 6th, with a ton of conditionals on the 6th, for a different 2nd from STL. The conditionals with the 6th were that it is: A reddit pick, 69th OA, and if it isn't 69th OA, then the pick becomes a 5th rounder in the next draft after the reddit draft in question. "So tl;dr: if CAR trades their s62 5th then they're dumb and deserve the inevitable punishment" were my summary words after that debacle.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

Prompt 1:

So this is still incredibly early and impossible to say whether it is actually the worst trade but with the recency bias it's hard not to look at the Florida and Calgary trade in a vacuum and feel a little bit hopeless about the entire situation. Given what was known about other offers available to Calgary for Tkachuk, it's hard to imagine another scenario where there's a clear cut scenario where they win out especially with how they knew they needed to get value from a player who was going to leave in a year.

However you have to question what sort of thought would go into bringing somebody like Huberdeau in when the coach you had committed to at the time played a style that was so against the strengths of a player. Weeger, Schwindt and a 1st round pick meant that there was quality, though in several different pieces as part of the roster, but Huberdeau appeared to never have a chance under a coach like Sutter. Just an unfortunate attempt all around.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

In the NHL my favorite team is the Columbus blue jackets. Looking back at all of their trades that they have made throughout the years there is one significant trade that stands out as one of the worst trades in franchise history. This trade included the blue jackets sending Jakub Voracek, a 2011 1st round pick and a 2011 3rd round pick to the Philadelphia Flyers for Jeff Carter. What makes us trade one of the worst is that the first round pick turned into Sean Couturier, who has been valuable to the Flyers organization and the third round pick turned into Nick Cousins. As far as the Blue Jackets side of the trade, Jeff Carter only played the 39 games for the Blue Jackets totaling 15 goals and 10 assists before heading to the Los Angeles Kings that same year. With that being said, this goes down as one of the worst trades in Blue Jackets history.

PROMPT 1: 

So I believe in my SHL GMs that they all are doing their best and most trades for our team have been successful or there are clear upsides to them. So no worst trade here. But in real life, I definitely know a trade that the Washington Capitals made that is, to me, the worst trade in team history. Back in 2013, during the Capitals peak team seasons, they made a deal at the trade deadline in hopes to boost their chances at playoffs. Washington traded their 2012 1st round pick, Filip Forsberg, to Nashville for Martin Erat and Michael Latta...... OMG even typing it out is terrible. Erat was just a huge disappointment. In the 62 games with the Capitals, he only scored 2 goals. He was also traded to the Coyotes late the following season. Filip Forsberg turned into a star for Nashville. Forsberg. Every game that the Capitals faced Nashville, Forsberg reminded me of just how terrible that trade was. It was like he wanted to prove to the organization what a bad move it was. Truly it still haunts me 

-184 words

[Image: jumbobone19.gif]
[Image: 9tINabI.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: xc2IPJy.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wW0VNnL.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM @sköldpaddor @Merica for the Sigs
(This post was last modified: 07-30-2023, 10:21 PM by vbottas17.)

This is a tough one for me but I'm going to have to say the Kings trade for Milan Lucic. Lucic would play in LA for just one season, filling a top 6 role and playing pretty good hockey. But they paid way too much for a one year rental. Colin Miller would become a very solid NHL defenseman, Martin Jones would instantly be flipped to division rival, the San Jose Sharks, and the first round pick could have been used on a true building block such as Matthew Barzal or Kyle Connor. The first round pick is what stings the most. The Kings were linked to Connor and Barzal, either of whom would have been a huge addition to the teams forward group and would have soon become one of the teams best offensive players. Jones' inclusion seems like a rushed move by Dean Lombardi who probably could have included somebody else and found another suiter for Jones thus maximizing the teams assets.

[Image: Piastri2.png?ex=65ba64d4&is=65a7efd4&hm=...462889f09&]
[Image: or8VMxO.gif]

PBE affiliate

[Image: pkHEmu9.png]

So this prompt requires me to know about best and worst trades and I have no clue about that stuff. And honestly it isn't worth it to dig through all the trades (is there even an easy way to do that?) for the PT of the week. So instead I will just pick on the notorious McZ trade. It was like 24 1sts (maybe 3) but it was a lot and I am not sure that it ever really paid off for them. I can appreciate wanting to get people on the team but that one just felt excessive. I actually wonder how many people picked McZ for this PT. I bet it's at least one.

As for NEW I don't think I know of a particularly great or bad trade. I would ask Luke to tell me but it is almost time for this to be submitted and I do not want to risk missing this week's PT.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Prompt 1:
I think it likely goes without saying that the worst trade in Minnesota history would be the trade for McZ in the mid S40's. This was a turning point for the franchise. After attempting to enter a rebuild and then having one of the best seasons in franchise history, the decision was made to trade out a kings haul in order to bring in a proven earner and HOF player maker. This trade came on the heels of a harsh team punishment for tampering by a Co-GM that immediately ghosted, sticking the team with the fallout. After a reduction to the punishment from HO, some of the assets were used in this blockbuster trade. The story of both Minnesota and Buffalo since have mostly been a mirror. One winning multiple championships and the other struggling to make the post-season. While not entirely to blame for Minnesota's struggles, many could point towards this trade as the beginning of the teams misfortune for the last 25 Seasons.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

As a Devils fan I have to point well back to an earlier version of the team. Claude Lemieux (yes, booo I know) was a major player on the team, and had just won the team's first ever Conn Smythe Trophy for his great playoffs that he had on the way to the Devils winning their first Stanley Cup. huge impact, and a huge moment for the team. Well, when they returned to play after a lockout, Lemieux (among some other players) were holding out on their contract. This is what led to a 3-way trade sending him to Colorado, and receiving Steve Thomas in return (with Wendell Clarke heading to the Islanders as well). While Thomas had an okay first season, he was unable to have continued success with the club, and had that missing the playoffs shortly after their Cup win. Meanwhile, Claude would continue to be an impact player with his new club, being part of his 3rd cup win with Colorado.

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

PROMPT 2: Steve Dangle Content

WRITTEN TASK: Tell me about your favorite trade tree! This can either be in the SHL or in real professional hockey, and does not have to involve your team.

I guess my favorite Trade Tree, which I don't actually know what that means but I can talk about a process where I was traded. First off I was originally drafted to the Toronto North Stars. After 4 seasons down in the J I moved up and I only played a little bit. I had like a WEIRD positive presence in playoffs but other than that I was so low in TPE I was basically a non Factor. I probably would have remained on that team but unfortunatly due to a Cap Issue Toronto ended up being 2 mil over the cap. Now luckily I was worth exactly 2 mil, and being the weakest link on the team it ONLY made sense for me to get traded. Now from there ML was nice enough to let me decide where to go between a few teams and I ended up picking the Seattle Argonauts. Now I was traded ALONG WITH a FIRST ROUND PICK for a third rounder. So Toronto got a Third Rounder iirc and Seattle got ME AND A FIRST ROUNDER. I think it's the only time I know of where someone was worth negative value like that haha. I know Toronto was in a tough spot so they were held a little hostage but it was kinda silly. From there I spend about half a season in seattle now getting any ice time until I was moved to Manhattan for I think another third. So really I think Essentially Seattle traded NOTHING, moved up in the third round, and got a first round pick for all those shenenigans.

[Image: juniped_shl.gif]

Prompt 1:

Given that I have very few complaints for any of the GMs I've had here, and I have had many complaints about some Red Wings trades, I figure I'll go with that one.

Oh boy is there a lot to choose from. I think in somewhat recent memory giving up the 1st that turned into Vasilevskiy for Kyle Quincey was pretty rough, but I understand that draft picks are a bit hard to predict anyway.

The actual worst trade that I can think of was sending Adam Oates, along with Paul MacLean to the Blues in return for Bernie Federko, and Tony McKegney.

Adam Oates turned into a fantastic player who would go on to score 1,420 points in his career, including 142 points in 1992-93. Even MacLean still had another pretty good season left in him. Meanwhile Federko would go on to retire after one season with the Wings, and McKegney only scored 3 points for them. Yikes.

159 words

PanthersPanthersPanthersPanthers

KnightsKnightsKnightsKnights

PT Pass

GM of Canada in the WJC S56

S56 WJC Gold Medalist GM/Player for Canada

[Image: ddIlIkT.png][Image: qzGJBye.png]

[Image: GMGumba.gif]

PBE Affiliate

[Image: jsteele1423.gif]
[Image: dOfqg1T.png]
[Image: lhZ3TTV.png]
[Image: QwTZD8C.png] [Image: uJXrVDL.png]
Click my logo below to see me LIVE on Twitch!
[Image: vNTwVv3.png]

I genuinely don't know that there is a worst trade on a team that I have been on, so instead I will talk about one of the biggest trades in league history. Back in the day when I was still on my player James Kimanje, the Toronto North Stars pulled off an absolute blockbuster. Acquiring defender Adam Barron from the Winnipeg Jets, who a couple seasons later rebranded to the Winnipeg Aurora, the Stars sent over two first round picks and a second round pick. Beyond that, they sent over Sarah Burke, who was one of the premier prospects in the league at the time and was worth at least two first round picks herself; James Kimanje, my player, who was worth roughly a second at the time, and Daniel Kuster, who capped out at 648 TPE and was inactive by the time he was traded, and therefore was worth about a third. In total, this means that the Toronto North Stars traded four first round picks, two second round picks, and one third round pick for one player in Adam Barron. While it was a trade that seemed to work out for the Stars, I have to say it was the worst because trading away that kind of draft capital and only getting one player out of it is absolutely insane.

[Image: laser.png]

[Image: Virrok.png]
Thanks to EAB and sulovien for the sigs!

This is a difficult prompt not paying enough attention to SHL and the Kraken being so new, but i guess the worst trade I've seen was at the trade deadline this season. Why the heck did the Kraken given away a 4th round pick for a player they barely even used? I know that a 4th round pick isnt much but teams have shown you should be able to aquire pieces to make a push if you move that draft capital yet we got a player who struggled to make any shots on goal, or get any ice time. From the very moment the trade was made it was a value loss. either this player was improperly evaluated or not a fit for the system but this is something the front office needs to be more aware about in the future so that we aren't giving away pieces we need for when we make a run.

[Image: f7.png]