Create Account

S75 mPT #1: First Impressions Due: Monday, February 19th @ 11:59pm PST

I was initially drawn to the SHL back in 2016 because of the graphics. I had just gotten into photoshop and loved creating graphics for the NHL. I had never heard of sim leagues but thought it was a cool idea to make a fictional hockey player in such a strong community. The fact that you got paid in site money to make graphics was the cherry on top.

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

Found the league during some late night 3 am random googling, got started and the next day had some gm's pm in discord. Big shoutout to Southpaw and jaypc8237 as the first two to reach out but it was Lore who I had the most engaging convo with felt like it wasn't as awkward (Not calling the other people I talked to awkward, it's me that was awkward they were super cool) but can't sing Lore's praises loud enough.

[Image: kcP9WEd.png]

[Image: SFLJy.gif]

I was definitely a bit hesitant with my first interactions in the league, especially creating closer to the J draft. To be honest, I just wasn't sure if I should be playing a character or myself haha.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

My first interaction was all the team's reaching out to me on discord about the upcoming draft. Even though most weren't going to draft me, they all had great advice on how to get the most out of my rookie year

I had such a great initiation to the league, lots to learn and do right away. Good thing I had no job and endless computer time as a single (at the time) college student on summer break

well to be honest I don’t quite remember too much. Rotti was my recruiter and then a lot of scouting talks before I ended up in Newfoundland. Only real takeaway was that @teztify is Nova Scotia based

[Image: beegbeegyoshi.gif]
[Image: B7bDIPG.png]
[Image: gospklL.png]

Most of the messages that show up in the thread where I created my first player on the old SHL board where about the fact that I had chosen to play for Norway internationally which made a lot of users who play for this country happy at the time.

49 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

Oh man it's going back a while now but my first interactions were most likely in scouting, where honestly I was somewhat surprised by how few juniors teams actually reached out, although I did create very shortly before the draft. Still, the Zerkers ended up picking me up after a great conversation and we went on to win a cup! So it went pretty well I'd say.

[Image: 6bdkPCS.png]

First impression. I had checked and tried SHL few years ago, but the i managed to keep in for one week. It didnt liked that needed to make big effort, bit now. Wow what a development. Users are the same, helpfull and nice

[Image: 7t15l3k.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2024, 03:05 AM by DrunkenTeddy.)

My first impression was that the site felt super old and weird that it was operating on a forum product that was from 2004, wasn't too long before I fixed that lol

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

My original thoughts were simple, it was a very welcoming league, and many people were not shy to help or answer any questions I had. Very solid group for sure.

Funnily enough it was @LordBirdman scouting for Colorado through the forum itself when I initially created Luukas Lilja 3.5years ago. I never responded back to him early enough to have a proper go but when I did I already had other plans with Carolina. Sorry man <3

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

As a late create, post-draft, I didn’t get the traditional scouting experience. I got reached out to by a couple of GMs, but I messed up working the forum messages somehow and left them on read for a few days. Luckily one of them still had a spot for me and I joined the St Louis LR 7 games into the season. That STL team was incredible, packed with just the loveliest, most helpful people <3

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

My first impressions were probably the S52 class channel, where I got to meet great people like @Geekusoid @_Blitz_ @RedCapeDiver and @notoriousTRON. And the fact that I'm still here probably means the first impression was really good too.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

After joining through Reddit for the S62 class I was quickly overwhelmed at first. I was familiar with discord but not a frequent user of it. I was excited to get a player going but was not expecting the amount of interaction with other people in the league. As I slowly got familiar with some users I started to slowly find my place and eventually found a comfort level of my own participation. One thing that I still find amazing to this day is the amount of work, effort and talent that everyone puts into the league. I've got so much respect for all the teams that keep this site going!

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]