Create Account

San Diego Tidal Branding Announcement

Can I have an AI generated GM, I don’t want @Gwdjohnson anymore

03-18-2024, 07:33 PMunconfident69 Wrote: Can I have an AI generated GM, I don’t want @Gwdjohnson anymore

Would be improvement, probably wouldn't cheat in playoffs and eliminate vancovuer

[Image: izzy.PNG]

Also for your next rendition if it's anything like mine, I'd honestly have the hockey player wear beach shorts and a Hawaiian shirt with gloves and a helmet honestly. And give him a surf board too ofcourse

03-18-2024, 07:36 PMaleks Wrote: Would be improvement, probably wouldn't cheat in playoffs and eliminate vancovuer

Keep it up and you'll be getting a downrep from me pal

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

03-18-2024, 07:49 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: Keep it up and you'll be getting a downrep from me pal
Sorry sir

As someone who worked on two branding concepts for this expansion (and a few ideas that got scrapped), I'm of two minds about this situation. Yeah, using AI is morally ambiguous at best and it does suck to have that be featured over things a specific human created. I do use AI art myself in private situations (like for my homebrew d&d campaign) but I agree that it does not have a place in a place in public use, especially if there could be monetization ever involved.

But on the other hand, graphics are hard and the timeline of this whole thing was very compressed. The designs I made are fairly rough, and this AI one does look better until you start really scrutinizing it. Mine would've needed a pass by a better artist just like this AI one could use a pass to go from generated to custom. But it's hard to find people who can do that, especially if you want to fairly compensate them and even more especially when you have like two weeks to get it done.

I was part of a rebrand in the SSL and it took over three months of planning with I don't know how many logo iterations that at least 5 different people had a hand in designing. I previously questioned whether it was a good idea to have barely a month between applications and when these teams have to play, and getting well done branding was part of that concern. So while I don't like the AI usage, I understand why it happened and I feel a bit like core is getting dragged without having been given enough support prior to this.

[Image: YpRQWIT.png]
Sig courtesy @sulovilen

[Image: SyiOY8U.png][Image: showthread.php?tid=126581%5D][Image: ywpNoYb.png]

03-18-2024, 05:43 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: I'm sorry but AI generating a logo on a site full of brilliant graphical minds in its user base is crazy to me. Even with the retouching this logo has too much in it that is broken and imo the only way to rectify it is starting fresh.

want to echo this from gwid, theres so many people on the site that i can name off the top of my head like teddy, wasty, karey, nour, aleks has a good eye for it was well he was great to work with for the whalers rebrand and his quick ms paint mockup in the thread. im sure i missed some people but theyre all credited likely in team information. i think the efficacy of how rebrands/creating brands go is starting from scratch and creating something with intention. AI can be great for just generating ideas LOVE the idea and I think you can lean in super far into the beach-y vibe and make something fun.

this stuff takes time, i personally worked for months on the monarchs rebrand directly with the gm even though its changed now, and at least a month on the whalers rebrand with aleks. feels like a disservice to the amazing minds and creativity of those on the site. i think another small detail that goes with the licensing comment that was made, is font licensing. that odd chance of something generating mimicking or being identical to another font that is a paid license for commercial or even personal use can get you or the site into trouble. the small details that aleks compiled are good examples of why ai can't do the same calibre of work that others have contributed with their work on branding. even if its outsourced. understandable outsourcing on fiver or any other site similar isnt accessible to everyone, but theres a great community of strong designers on the site that can be involved and the proof is in the pudding. 

the timing of using ai for a permanent branding when the sites already been against ai for point tasks is also wild

im glad youre taking the feedback of starting from scratch, looking forward to see what comes out of this branding once its ironed out

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

03-18-2024, 08:46 PMHanTheMan_ Wrote: want to echo this from gwid, theres so many people on the site that i can name off the top of my head like teddy, wasty, karey, nour, aleks has a good eye for it was well he was great to work with for the whalers rebrand and his quick ms paint mockup in the thread. im sure i missed some people but theyre all credited likely in team information. i think the efficacy of how rebrands/creating brands go is starting from scratch and creating something with intention. AI can be great for just generating ideas LOVE the idea and I think you can lean in super far into the beach-y vibe and make something fun.

this stuff takes time, i personally worked for months on the monarchs rebrand directly with the gm even though its changed now, and at least a month on the whalers rebrand with aleks. feels like a disservice to the amazing minds and creativity of those on the site. i think another small detail that goes with the licensing comment that was made, is font licensing. that odd chance of something generating mimicking or being identical to another font that is a paid license for commercial or even personal use can get you or the site into trouble. the small details that aleks compiled are good examples of why ai can't do the same calibre of work that others have contributed with their work on branding. even if its outsourced. understandable outsourcing on fiver or any other site similar isnt accessible to everyone, but theres a great community of strong designers on the site that can be involved and the proof is in the pudding. 

the timing of using ai for a permanent branding when the sites already been against ai for point tasks is also wild

im glad youre taking the feedback of starting from scratch, looking forward to see what comes out of this branding once its ironed out

I think AI is incredibly powerful in the beginning stages of a brand. It does a lot of the time consuming mock ups.

The vision and brand identity has to come from the mind of the team and artist, but AI is so helpful

03-18-2024, 04:33 PMaleks Wrote: [Image: surf.png?ex=660b18b1&is=65f8a3b1&hm=70dc...height=676]

i did a quick rendition in paint

This is the logo. This has to be it. I would add a thicker border and call it a day

03-18-2024, 08:43 PMFaraDian Wrote: As someone who worked on two branding concepts for this expansion (and a few ideas that got scrapped), I'm of two minds about this situation. Yeah, using AI is morally ambiguous at best and it does suck to have that be featured over things a specific human created. I do use AI art myself in private situations (like for my homebrew d&d campaign) but I agree that it does not have a place in a place in public use, especially if there could be monetization ever involved.

But on the other hand, graphics are hard and the timeline of this whole thing was very compressed. The designs I made are fairly rough, and this AI one does look better until you start really scrutinizing it. Mine would've needed a pass by a better artist just like this AI one could use a pass to go from generated to custom. But it's hard to find people who can do that, especially if you want to fairly compensate them and even more especially when you have like two weeks to get it done.

I was part of a rebrand in the SSL and it took over three months of planning with I don't know how many logo iterations that at least 5 different people had a hand in designing. I previously questioned whether it was a good idea to have barely a month between applications and when these teams have to play, and getting well done branding was part of that concern. So while I don't like the AI usage, I understand why it happened and I feel a bit like core is getting dragged without having been given enough support prior to this.
GIGANTIC FARADIAN W. This summarizes the whole process well, GOAT of a human being

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

03-18-2024, 09:05 PMkarey Wrote: I think AI is incredibly powerful in the beginning stages of a brand. It does a lot of the time consuming mock ups.

The vision and brand identity has to come from the mind of the team and artist, but AI is so helpful

oh yeah im not saying its the worst thing ever, I've used chatgpt to generate ideas for logos I've been stumped on at work. its a tool that's there to be used. but like you said the beginning stages is where its most powerful

[Image: VGl3CB4.png]

03-18-2024, 07:33 PMunconfident69 Wrote: Can I have an AI generated GM, I don’t want @Gwdjohnson anymore
TRUE

[Image: hallsy.png]

03-18-2024, 08:46 PMHanTheMan_ Wrote: want to echo this from gwid, theres so many people on the site that i can name off the top of my head like teddy, wasty, karey, nour, aleks has a good eye for it was well he was great to work with for the whalers rebrand and his quick ms paint mockup in the thread. im sure i missed some people but theyre all credited likely in team information. i think the efficacy of how rebrands/creating brands go is starting from scratch and creating something with intention. AI can be great for just generating ideas LOVE the idea and I think you can lean in super far into the beach-y vibe and make something fun.

I don't disagree with your points, but I do want to highlight the "this stuff takes time". We (JHO) sprung expansion on the site and quickly thereafter opened up applications, asking for any type of branding if available.

I'm glad the community is seemingly going to be involved in the continuation of the branding, but it's understandable as to why they weren't beforehand. It would suck as an artist to put in a ton of work on branding in a short window of time just to find out your artwork won't be used since that applicant didn't get a team.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

I know in my previous expansion application I did a few years ago I straight up applied with MS Paint drawings of potential jerseys. Definitely think it was something where they'd at least have a rough idea of the look during the expansion application, not necessarily as a dealbreaker but just to show they'd put some thought into it.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

03-18-2024, 09:07 PMkarey Wrote: This is the logo. This has to be it. I would add a thicker border and call it a day

This actively what close to what I am currently going towards. Just getting some help drawing, cause I'm not an artist but I know Illustrator and image manipulation an conversion.

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]