Create Account

San Diego Tidal Branding Announcement

Alright time to do this thing and get everyone's opinions good or bad.

I'd like to start by talking about the city of San Diego. San Diego is a bit of a dichotomy of a city. It is a laid back city, filled with beach and surf culture, but it is also the 4th biggest naval hub in the US. San Diego in my opinion is an extremely unrepresented city/metro area in simulation leagues as a whole. Despite it's reputation of being a fair weather city for sports team, the city is fiercely loyal to the teams that are here. Just look at the Padres home attendance record last season, in a losing season. It's also not a huge secret that I am from San Diego and this is my love letter to the city. Getting to put a team in San Diego in the SMJHL is a culmination of my 5 years on the site and I'm extremely proud to do so. While San Diego is not where I was born, it's the city I've called home for over 20 years and where identify from.

Now onto the moniker/nickname of Tidal. Look, I know it's an adjective, but I felt it appropriate when I started to think about San Diego, the colors I wanted, the vibe I wanted and the overall appeal I was going for. Let me explain my rational and thought process behind the moniker. Fist I find it hilarious in a tongue in cheek way, that is sounds a bit like Title. I'm also a big fan of unique names and names that a bit ambiguous. I am also not a big fan of 2 word nicknames for sports teams, which is why I didn't go with a noun following Tidal. Tidal wave, just doesn't sound good to me, as I'm sure just Tidal doesn't sound good to some of you. My feeling when going with Tidal, was that it can portray many different things, for instance a tidal wave (which by the way is a misnomer, it's actually called a tsunami). Strong currents, powerful force, these are things I want to instill in my team and the culture surrounding it. The more and more I thought about what I wanted to create and the team/culture I wanted to create, the more I fell for the name Tidal.

Tidal can also give you images of ocean currents or tides, which create surf. Surf and tides and the movement of water to create waves is huge in San Diego. Surf culture dominates most of the area and is ingrained in the fabric of San Diego. Surfing and surf culture is something you can't avoid in San Diego, so you will see themes and images of that throughout my branding, both in the main and secondary logo.

When sitting down and thinking of a brand, I wanted something that would blend these two aspects (surf culture and military) together. I am not a big fan of heavy handed militarism in logos and in sports. I think there are subtle ways to do that, which I feel I was able to accomplish. I guess it's time to introduce you to the branding of the San Diego Tidal.

[Image: 9gdmQGF.png]

So right off the bat, you can see that surf culture dominates the main logo. You see a hockey guy surfing a wave at sunset, in front of a harbored city. The colors here are very intentional. Not only are they my 3 favorite colors, but I also wanted to give this brand a very west coast, beach, tropical feel. You can see the sunset portrayed as a bright orange sky, then you get seafoam blues and greens making up the majority of the water. The deep navy blue is to represent the Naval culture but to also give the logo even more contrast. The shield and font on the bottom blends those two aspects together really well in my opinion as well. The shield, star and bars are all very militaristic, without it being overtly so. I know the colors on the team are represented in other teams in the league, namely LAP, but I feel the west coast connections and the colors actually being a bit different shades, were ok to use. Next let's look at the secondary/patch.

[Image: wrLd2Ok.png]

So here you see a direct line to the surf culture in San Diego. This logo is my "traditional" circle logo and my love letter to everything that is San Diego. I also think it's just very pretty and atheistically pleasing to look at. The surfboard and palm tree is a very iconic beach motif, here you can see it represented by sitting in a bay. We have many "bays" here in the city, so I wanted to give that laid back surf vibe. This logo will be represented on the jerseys on a patch and maybe a future Jersey. Speaking of Jerseys, see the next 3 images for those, including an homage to the San Diego gulls, in the San Diego crest.

Home:
[Image: FigunXQ.png]

Away:
[Image: of2Xkph.png]

Third:
[Image: 682Yrkw.png]

Ok, so for the jerseys, I wanted to give a bright and fast feel to the coloring and I also went with the unconventional white gloves. Kennedy on the back for my former player and my RP as the new GM. Then the number 16, because we are the 16th franchise in the SMJHL. The third jersey is both a nod to the San Diego Gulls, but also a nod to my fav NHL team, plus I really like the City name across the chest for a third jersey.

The Rink:
[Image: aRG6mKv.png]

I made a quick rink for the team. This has all the charities and non-profits that do good work in San Diego. The San Diego Zoo and Safari park, the surfrider foundation, STEP, SDBG (we are a huge craft beer city), and GenerateHope.

Finally I've had a lot of asks from people since saying the name what the "mascot" would be. So I had some fun and recolored a piece of clip art I found funny. Introducing Kyle the Kook!! If you don't know what a Kook is, it's basically a person, who goes to the beach with a board with 0 intention of getting into the surf. Someone who pretends to be something he is not or doesn't care for surf culture or etiquette. In San Diego this is iconically displayed in Cardiff, by the Cardiff Kook. It's a statue that gets dressed up for themes, causes, and other things. It's a staple for anyone who is from North County.

[Image: GxRom45.png]

Well that's it, that's the brand for the new SMJHL expansion franchise, the San Diego Tidal. Let me know if you want any more info, clarification or anything and I really do hope you enjoy this as I've been a lot of love and care and thought into it all.

Cheers,

Corey aka SDCore

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

I'll be honest, I wasn't sold on the branding initially, but the logo and color scheme came together very nicely. Great job and congrats!

[Image: jovera.gif]

[Image: tZH05l4.png]

Dope

[Image: lespoils.gif]

LOVE this branding, teal and orange is always an absolute slapper of a combination! Can't wait to for the expansion rivalry to take shape in the coming seasons, good work Corey!

[Image: image.png]  [Image: lap-teamsig.png]
@jason kranz sig elite / @sulovilen elite sig
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png] [Image: G1cbXSf.png] [Image: gdppv5N.png]
Panthers Ireland Highlanders

This looks fantastic, goddamn

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

San Diego Tide Pods

[img=0x0]https://images-ext-1.discordapp.net/external/grUaWFD9ou9EjLV73AFr8OZ5Z5ZgBJHWeh35DDNtFgI/https/i.imgur.com/hQtmi8A.png[/img]
CitadellesCitadelles

Love the colors. The stick looks like a shovel to me. San Diego Shovels from now on

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Woah! Amazing job, I love it!

---
Ekaterina Valieva - Baltimore Platoon

[Image: 0KH34qN.png]
Thanks @Lazyeye for the sig!
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 05:58 PM by slothfacekilla. Edited 1 time in total.)

Gonna edit my message, shoulda known it was AI Sad

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

The colour combo is gorgeous, I like this a lot

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

this goes so unbelievably hard

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

GD fire concept

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Rebrand when?

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

(This post was last modified: 03-18-2024, 02:34 PM by Count Chocula. Edited 2 times in total.)

Honestly the secondary is better than the primary. The primary is wayyyyyy too busy. Also the player looks AI generated, the way the stick is being held is wrong. It also looks like a pooper scooper. If you lose the backdrop and player entirely it works much better. It’s like the innagural syndicate logo that was overly complicated. Also would have done a darker blue, but that’s being nit picky. 3rd jersey was also a chance to do a SD Padre-esque logo not a generic PWHL jersey. All in all a fail across the board.

[Image: Chocula22.gif]
Berserkers Wolfpack France

Love the color choices!

[Image: p82ugau.png]