Create Account

van der Heijden Excited to be Specter

Draft day was tense for young Mitchell van der Heijden. The Anchorage Armada center was expecting to be a top 3 pick. "I thought everything was set for me to go top 3. I was looking forward to the draft." And then he started slipping. Hard. "Apparently GMs think I'm too young and immature for the big show, not to mention that they say I have some outbursts. Outbursts? Really? I try to stay as calm and composed as I can." The potential top 3 pick was now trying to stay within the top 10. "I was hoping that Toronto or Manhattan would take me. My agent has some history with the North Stars, and I've always admired the Rage. They both are teams on the up. Who wouldn't want to play with Luke Thomason or Mikhail Lokitonov?" But as the first ten picks came and went, Mitchell did not hear his name. "It was surprising. I was here thinking, 'Oh my god, I might go top 3', and it all came crashing down in a matter of minutes. I'm happy for the players that went, but I can't help but feel like I could've been a better selection."

However, picks 11 to 13 were held by teams he was interested in going to. "Buffalo were likely to take me if Elizabeth Doyle wasn't on the board. My agent spent a while in San Francisco, and I'd really wanted to play for them. New Orleans were one of the first teams to contact me, and my agent knew their GM as well from his time in the SMJHL with St. Louis." Buffalo did indeed take Doyle at 11, while San Francisco filled a need at defense with Alex Petrenko at 12. "With the 13th pick in the S51 SHL Entry Draft, the New Orleans Specters select Mitchell van der Heijden, center for the Anchorage Armada." The camera panned to a smiling van der Heijden, stifling tears. "It was always my dream to be selected in the SHL Draft. New Orleans taking me made it that much sweeter. I respect the organization, and they've been really successful over their short time in the league. I can't wait to play for them in the future."

When asked about his feeling on falling, Mitchell had this to say. "Oh, I'll make them regret it. To quote Filip Zadina, I'll fill their nets with pucks. I believe I was a top 10 prospect, so I was surprised that I fell. I'll make them all pay (except for Texas). Just you watch." Fighting words from the newest New Orleans prospect.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Stoked to have you! Specters

[Image: 66818_s.gif]