Create Account

Will van der Heijden's Last Season Equal Success?

I think it's well known at this point that Swiss center Mitchell van der Heijden of the Anchorage Armada will be going up to the SHL after this season. Following a 52 point season with the Armada that finished disappointingly with a 4-2 loss to the Newfoundland Beserkers (what kind of a name is that?), van der Heijden has made it clear that he wants to win. "It was great to win the Four Star Cup with the Armada two seasons back; I'd never really won anything so to be a key part of a Cup winning team was fantastic. The silver medal with Switzerland topped off my season as well. S51 was the peak of my career so far, although I don't expect it to be. This season needs to be a good one. I'm not going out with a thud. It better be a bang. I understand we may be rebuilding this season but I expect us to go out there and prove everyone wrong. We're going to be like Toronto: shit, but also going to make the playoffs because we're not shit."

When asked about the team's losses, he remained candid. "Losing Bischoff and Wanger, two of our best players, isn't good. Wanger especially because we have no defensemen besides Vladdy, Blue, and Ulrik. I expect Arty and GA to target some defensemen in the draft, because we really need them. As for losing Bischoff, that one doesn't sting as much. He wasn't really around last season, and he had a pretty good one despite that. So I don't think that we'll really miss him because we've got guys ready to pick up the slack. Cvitter is primed for a breakout year, Hanson is going to be a beast on both ends, Cyril is going to break out as well, and Whitey and Lowrie had great seasons last year and should keep it up this year. And you can't forget Rasanen; kid may not have done much last season but he just works hard. We're going to be great offensively and if everything goes right in the draft we should be more than fine. And I can't forget Venny too; losing him to be the backup with San Fran sucks but Sergei is more than ready. He's going to be a beast this year, and I expect we'll get a backup via the draft to have a great goaltending tandem this year."

Finally, when asked about his SHL future, he had this to say. "I'm a bit frustrated that I didn't go up but I know Joe's hands were tied with Vanice and Hamr so I'm happy to stay down. I'll be more ready for the league and I get to spend more time with my friends in Alaska. It's also likely that I'll be voted captain and be our primary scorer so I'll finish my time in the SMJHL with arguably the largest role I've ever had. Sure, some could argue that my role last year was big, but I was more of a secondary scorer behind Bischoff. Now that he's gone, I'm our main man heading into this season. I totally expect to be SHL ready by next year. I think I've got a shot at the Jesster once I come up too. I should be our third line center when I do get called up, and my class isn't exactly strong, so I should theoretically be the cream of the crop for SHL rookies when I get called up. Not saying that I'm guaranteed the Jesster as a rookie but I expect big things going into both this season and next season. I want us to win the cup and I think we can do that, and then when I get called up I want to be a part of a Cup-winning team with New Orleans. I know the team is stacked so I'll find minutes hard to come by, but most of the team 's stars are in regression anyways so they're going to need me sooner rather than later."

The forward was also unhappy with his ranking by a noted analyst on his prospect rankings. "With the production I've had so far it's hard to argue against me not being elite. I can understand why I was put as high-end there, and I know this sounds like this boosting my ego by deriding someone who doesn't think I'm as good as I think I am, but I truly do feel that I am an elite prospect. I also get that New Orleans has a strong pipeline, with me, Saarinen, and Dream at the forefront, so it's hard to rank it, but I mean come on. I've scored 100 points over the past two seasons. Hard to argue against that."

It sure seems as if van der Heijden is an outspoken and confident kid who has immense trust in not only his own game but his teammates as well. Time will tell as to how his season will go, but it's not hard to see that there are big things in his future. Watch this space.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

You're the best man. I can't wait for you to win Rookie of the Year in S54.

Thank you for being so selfless.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Nah

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

I didnt read this. As his coach.... no promises he does not seem to like my "just punch him in the face" strategy

03-11-2020, 02:36 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: I didnt read this. As his coach.... no promises he does not seem to like my "just punch him in the face" strategy
i am both not a fighter and someone who likes to get punched

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs