Create Account

Pre-Draft Interview
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2020, 02:03 PM by Hefe4711.)

The scene opens on Taryn Hatcher and Richard Majors sitting across from each other on leather chairs.  It is the day before the draft and Richard is having one last interview before the draft takes place.

Taryn Hatcher (TH):  Richard Majors, I am so glad that you decided to sit down with us the evening before the SMJHL draft.

Richard Majors (RM): Thank you for having me.  I look forward to answering your questions.

TH: Let’s start off talking about your early career.  You have been playing mostly in your local leagues and high school.  Do you think moving into the SMJHL will be a big step up for you?

RM: I am looking forward to a new challenge.  I am excited to see how I stack up against players who have been playing professionally for so many years.  While I have played against older players in my local leagues, I don’t think I have seen anything like the shots I am about to go against in both speed and power.

TH:  Are you concerned that there will be a rough start to your career as you get up to speed?

RM:  I hope not.  I believe in my training and practice.  I need to make sure that I don’t overextend myself and make sure that my positioning is sound.  The last thing I want to do is to be chasing my position or the puck and be scrambling to stay in front of the net.

TH:  What do you think is the most important aspect of a team that is in front of you to help you keep the puck out of the net?

RM:  You mean besides keeping the puck in the offensive end, so I don’t have to do anything?

TH:  (Small Laugh) Yes, besides that.

RM:  I think it is important that everyone’s positioning on defense is sound.  If they are doing their job and keeping on top of the players that they are defending, it makes my job much easier.

TH:  Where do you think you want to be drafted?

RM:  Well, every player wants to be drafted first overall.

TH:  True, but is there a particular team that you would like to be drafted by?

RM: Not really.  I just hope that whatever team that drafts me has a use for me.  I would like to be able to learn at this level and with a professional team, I just don’t want to be upstairs watching the games all the time.  I think it is important for me to get game experience for me to reach my true potential.

TH:  If need be, do you think you can change your game if the trainers think it is something that would help you?

RM: Of course.  I am a young kid who is looking to make the next step.  Professional trainers know more about this game than I do.  If they see something that I can work on that would help me become a better player, than I would give it a go so that I can improve my game.

TH: Even if that means you get worse at that moment?

RM:  Yeah.  Sometimes you must break things down and bring it to the foundation for you to get better in the long run.  A little stretch of bad play will not get me down if I know that I will be better in the future.

TH:  How have the discussions you have had with the SMJHL GM’s been going?

RM:  I have had some really good discussion with a lot of the GM’s.  They have been very upfront with me in what they are looking for.  Some have even told me that they have no interest in drafting me because they have no need.

TH:  Were you upset that they were not interested in you?

RM:  No.  It was refreshing.  Even though they took the time to talk with me and give me some guidance, they were upfront and didn’t really waste my time because they didn’t string me along.

TH:  What was the weirdest question that you have received so far?

RM:  Well, one of the GM’s asked me if I knew where in the world Carmen Sandiego is from.  I thought that was interesting.

TH:  Did you know?

RM: I told him Istanbul.  I hope I was right.

TH:  What do you think is the strongest part of your game?

RM:  I would say it is my positioning and passing.  I’ve always worked on that because I felt it was the best way to stop the puck and get it out of the zone as quickly as possible.

TH:  As a goalie, why did you work on your passing so much?

RM:  I wanted to help my team get out of the zone quickly, especially during the other team’s line changes.  Get the puck down the opposite side of the ice so my guys have a clearer chance at the opponent’s goal.

TH: Richard, thank you for spending the time with me today.

RM: You’re welcome Taryn.

TH:  Good luck in the draft tomorrow night and I hope you get a picked by a team that could use you.

(890 words) (x2 draft media)

Good luck on draft! Smile

Stars Stars Stars

Very nice article! Make sure to mark this as double draft media so you can get the extra cash!

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

03-14-2020, 01:47 PMthecanadiancanuck Wrote: Very nice article! Make sure to mark this as double draft media so you can get the extra cash!

Thanks for the tip.

Nice job but I'll still go top rh corner on you!

[Image: Snoopdogg.gif]
    [Image: d9J5DHT.png]        norway      [Image: d9J5DHT.png]

03-14-2020, 02:49 PMSnoopdogg Wrote: Nice job but I'll still go top rh corner on you!
You can try.