Create Account

After the Draft: Ryosuke Sato (2x Draft Media)
(This post was last modified: 03-18-2020, 12:38 AM by Dextaria.)

645 words, 2x Draft Media, Ready for Grading

[Image: YzH17v4.jpg]

After the 53rd SMJHL Entry Draft, our team decided to follow up with defenseman Ryosuke Sato and how he is adjusting with his new team, the Vancouver Whalers. We asked about his feelings about the team and how he is finding the locker room so far. Here is what Sato had to say.

"I understand the Whalers are in a bit of a rebuild but I feel like we have a good group of guys and I expect to contribute as soon as I step on the ice. All I can say for now is that the team is heading in the right direction and has a solid foundation for future cup runs. As for the locker room, the veterans have been very helpful. They really made me feel welcomed in the league and to the team.”

[Image: THQRKDJ.jpg]

In addition to asking about his adjustments with his new team following the draft, we also found out more about his experience coming over as the only Japanese player selected in the draft. We take a look at the cultural differences he has noticed and how Vancouver is different from his home town of Saitama, Japan.

"The transition has been good. There are obviously some major differences between Japan and Vancouver, such as the sheer number of people and how developed Vancouver is as a city. Thankfully what made the transition a little easier is how multicultural Vancouver is as a city. The guys took me around to different places around town and I noticed that there are some well established brands from Japan here. Although, it will take some looking before I crown what's the best sushi and ramen in town. Overall, this is an amazing place and I'm excited to play for the fans here night in and night out."

Continuing on with our interview, we asked Sato how the offseason training has been going following the draft. It is clear that the Whalers saw his strong work ethic which is how he ended up in the 2nd round, 16th overall in spite of many analysts having him fall beyond the second. We ask now if Sato had continued his dedication to both on and off ice training to better himself as a player.

"Having been drafted is no reason for me to ease off the gas pedal. I have continued to work hard this offseason working closely with the personal trainers here at the Whalers. Also, I have good mentors around me to help me develop as well. I am confident that with my continued hard work I'll be able to make a significant impact on the ice and prove to the team and management that I deserved to be drafted where I was."

With excellent responses from Sato, we ask if he has any final comments before we end off the interview. More specifically, what were his thoughts of the draft and what has his overall experience been with the league thus far.

"I would have to say that with a few days to reflect, the draft was an amazing experience. To be able to hear my name being called and walking up to greet my new team was a once in a lifetime opportunity. As for the league, as I said before, everyone has been so welcoming to me and I expect to be in it for a number of seasons before I want to move on to the SHL. To end off, best of luck to everyone in the league and watch out for the Whalers as we're coming to play hard this season."

With that, that wraps up our post draft interview with 16th overall pick, Ryosuke Sato. While many are not expecting the Whalers to be turning many heads this season, based on what Sato has said, maybe we should be keeping an eye on the team throughout the season.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Solid read.