Create Account

Remembering Texas Legend Liam Kinsler (2 times media)
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2020, 04:08 PM by BarnabasCollins.)

Remembering a great, Liam Kinsler

[Image: 4nHFQk8.png]

As a part of looking back at memories in the SHL I thought I’d profile a special player, Renegades legend Liam Kinsler. As a rookie coming up in S26 I was joining a pretty solid team in Texas and Kinsler was well on his path to establishing an amazing career. I was able to play 11 seasons together with this guy and he was my captain for 8 of those. He wasn’t the most outspoken or vocal guy around, especially when you consider the monster personalities of the Renegades of that period. I always regarded Kins as a Steve Yzerman type player as well as leader, a quiet tough guy when he needed to be. He didn’t get as many minutes on a deep Texas team as some of his peers so his numbers weren’t as gaudy as some of those at the time. He was always regarded however as maybe the best 2-way center of his generation. I greatly enjoyed my friendship with Kins and really do miss him from the site. Let’s take a look at some of his highlights.

Kins played 858 games in the SHL, all of them with the Renegades. He scored 239 goals and 321 assists for 560 points. That still places him in the top 85 or so in the SHL in all time points. To me an even more remarkable stat is that for 13 seasons in a row he scored more than 30 points. There’s nothing much more you could want from your franchise center. From seasons 25-29 he was as dominant a player as there was in the SHL. In the SHL top 100 rankings done annually in S25 he was number 25, S26 number 7, S27 number 1, S28 number 2 and S29 number 19. Though the top 100 is not being done anymore in the entire history of the league only 30ish players made it to number one on this list and Kinsler is one of those few. To make it to number 2 the following season shows just what a special player he was.

As far as awards go, he was a 1st team all-star in S26 and 3rd team in S25. He was a Mexico nominee in seasons 25 and 26. He was a Dar nominee in season 27. And he was also a 4-time Kahn nominee. He was a captain for Team Austria and won gold while there. He was a 3-time cup champion in Texas in seasons 20 and 21, season 20 being his rookie year and also in S36 in his final season. So, he came in and went out on top. He’s still revered in Texas. Having played all 17 seasons there, he ranks 3rd in Texas history in games played. He’s also 3rd in all time goal and assists and is 4th in all time Renegade points. He is also a member of the Renegades Hall of Fame.

[Image: 4Yp4MCq.png]

In my opinion and that of many others Kinsler should have been inducted into the SHL Hall of Fame. There was probably a bias against the brash Texas players so this quite possibly has kept him excluded and sadly his eligibility is long gone. I would like to see a Hall of Fame veterans committee to check into players that may have been glossed over for whatever reasons in the past. I truly do miss sharing a locker room with Kins. He was always great to be around and the SHL is poorer for him not being around any longer. I hope you all enjoyed this look back at a true Renegade legend and will join me in saluting in my opinion one of the best to ever lace them up.

[Image: iUd7IJE.png]
[Image: rhodes.png]

You should so a battle royal of all the banned shl users, @BarnabasCollins

[Image: FJPVyys.png]

great career.. Cheers

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Great player for sure.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]