Create Account

Mark Rycroft, The Colorado Avalanche, and his hateful statements
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 04:51 AM by DELIRIVM.)

As a die-hard Avalanche fan, I was disappointed and infuriated at the comments of one of our intermission hosts this past day. Mark Rycroft, who now seems to be going the way of a Don Cherry ripoff, came out with a horribly misinformed tweet aimed at the protesters in Denver and their peaceful protests for Black Lives Matter. Below are his comments. 

[Image: yNpbCRN.png]

He was a trash hockey player and is showing to be a trash human being. I am posting this for the sole purpose of reinforcing that this is exactly the opposite kind of person we want in the hockey world. As a sport, there have been many saying that hockey is one of the least inclusive sports in North America, and possibly the world, and guys like Rycroft and Cherry are the headlining act for those in the sport that seek to segregate, demonize, and prevent any and all that would want to enter the league.
I guess in summation this post is me blowing off steam as a fan of a team and someone who thought Mark Rycroft was a good intermission announcer. I wanted to release my anger for this comment and I wanted to make sure that he faces the consequences for being someone who perpetuates hate in our sport and in the world at large. 
Thank you for taking the time to read this and stay safe all of you.

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]

As another Avs fan, I fully support this message.

People who make statements like Rycroft does here or Cherry has before, have no place in the world of hockey.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

As a MN Wild fan, fuck the Avs. But fuck this guy a lot more.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

06-02-2020, 06:16 AMAvakael Wrote: As a MN Wild fan, fuck the Avs. But fuck this guy a lot more.
This hurts Ava.

06-02-2020, 06:34 AMMutedfaith Wrote:
06-02-2020, 06:16 AMAvakael Wrote: As a MN Wild fan, fuck the Avs. But fuck this guy a lot more.
This hurts Ava.
Then don't embargo me :<

For real tho, I can't imagine what the hell the guy is thinking. He's too irrelevant. The only minds he can change are those of his bosses on why he should have a job.

[Image: avakaelsig.gif]

The official comments from so many NHL players and teams is sorely lacking any substance.

This is unacceptable and garbage. We need to hold this sport accountable as fans, especially because hockey tends to be a hotbed of privilege and white supremacy. Passively ingesting a sport for fun without acknowledgement for the destructive opinions players, owners, coaches, etc hold allows those violent statements to stand uncontested. If you choose neutrality in times like these, you are passively choosing the site of the oppressor, choosing an unacceptable status quo.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

06-02-2020, 08:46 AMAvakael Wrote:
06-02-2020, 06:34 AMMutedfaith Wrote: This hurts Ava.
Then don't embargo me :<

For real tho, I can't imagine what the hell the guy is thinking. He's too irrelevant. The only minds he can change are those of his bosses on why he should have a job.
But I was out of spyops for the day.

Imagine not listening to based Kenny and Micky on FSD

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

https://twitter.com/rycroftmark/status/1...54080?s=21

Follow up tweet. Believe it or not, most people support peaceful protests but the rioting and looting needs to stop which I believe was his point from the beginning.

[Image: Carbine.gif]
Sig Credit: Suavemente, rum_ham, Turd Ferguson

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

[Image: 711381262207811636.png]

06-02-2020, 12:48 PMCarbine Wrote: https://twitter.com/rycroftmark/status/1...54080?s=21

Follow up tweet. Believe it or not, most people support peaceful protests but the rioting and looting needs to stop which I believe was his point from the beginning.
love to apologize by finishing the apology with saying i was right anyways

júnior Guarda
Throat Goat

06-02-2020, 12:48 PMCarbine Wrote: https://twitter.com/rycroftmark/status/1...54080?s=21

Does it need to stop, though?

The shift from "peaceful" protests to rioting/looting has very specific and important reasons. In part, escalation has been intentionally incited by police and White supremacists in city after city in hopes of discrediting this movement to the White moderate.

Additionally, looting has a fundamental value and legitimacy within protests. Trevor Noah explained it better than I could drawing on social contract theory and how the American social contract has been violated over. and over. and over. again over our history. When our nation's history and present actions both show that Black Americans are not included in the social contract of America, those laws have no moral authority and following them blindly is submission to oppression.

Substantive change rarely comes from quietly asking the systems that be to change internally. There needs to be a disruption, a shake up, to the status quo.

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

blood alone moves the wheels of history

-Dwight Schrute
-Mussolini

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Peaceful pretests are fine, I fully support them. The riots though are unnecessary. Even George Floyd's family has said to stop the riots and want peaceful pretests. There's no need to ruin all these other lives when even his family is saying that these people burning down buildings and getting themselves free flat screen TVs is not Justice for Floyd.

[Image: 55708_s.gif]

First Ever SHL Goal:
Code:
5. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 1 (Piotr Czerkawski 1, Cameron Dubois 2) at 16:27

First Ever Hat Trick:
Code:
S45 Game 46 NEW vs TOR
6. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 1 (Artemi Berezin 3, Tigole Bitties 5) at 5:21
9. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 2 (Artemi Berezin 4) at 18:58
10. New England Wolfpack , Kristaps Ball 3 (Tigole Bitties 7, Manuel Gotze 2) at 19:38 (Empty Net)

[Image: YztPk3T.png] [Image: 6by0kBi.png]

06-02-2020, 02:02 PMjcfbey01 Wrote: Peaceful pretests are fine, I fully support them. The riots though are unnecessary. Even George Floyd's family has said to stop the riots and want peaceful pretests. There's no need to ruin all these other lives when even his family is saying that these people burning down buildings and getting themselves free flat screen TVs is not Justice for Floyd.

Yes and no.

It wasn't until millions of dollars of damage was done to cities in 1968 following MLKs assassination that the Civil Rights Act was passed. Peaceful protesting has been tried and has failed if you are a person of colour, a female, LGBTQ+ etc. It isn't until things go to an extreme that laws and acts are passed.

Fuck Mark Rycroft entirely.
(This post was last modified: 06-02-2020, 03:30 PM by DELIRIVM.)

06-02-2020, 02:48 PMBasedMinkus Wrote:
06-02-2020, 02:02 PMjcfbey01 Wrote: Peaceful pretests are fine, I fully support them. The riots though are unnecessary. Even George Floyd's family has said to stop the riots and want peaceful pretests. There's no need to ruin all these other lives when even his family is saying that these people burning down buildings and getting themselves free flat screen TVs is not Justice for Floyd.

Yes and no.

It wasn't until millions of dollars of damage was done to cities in 1968 following MLKs assassination that the Civil Rights Act was passed. Peaceful protesting has been tried and has failed if you are a person of colour, a female, LGBTQ+ etc. It isn't until things go to an extreme that laws and acts are passed.

Fuck Mark Rycroft entirely.

Exactly. The reason racism/sexism/discrimination exists in it's current form is due to the apathy of people - especially white people. One of the most life changing and shattering things I've ever read was MLK's Letter from Birmingham Jail. Particularly the quoted section below. 

Code:
I must make two honest confessions to you, my Christian and Jewish brothers. First, I must confess that over the past few years I have been gravely disappointed with the white moderate. I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who prefers a negative peace which is the absence of tension to a positive peace which is the presence of justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season." Shallow understanding from people of good will is more frustrating than absolute misunderstanding from people of ill will. Lukewarm acceptance is much more bewildering than outright rejection.

I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that law and order exist for the purpose of establishing justice and that when they fail in this purpose they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress. I had hoped that the white moderate would understand that the present tension in the South is a necessary phase of the transition from an obnoxious negative peace, in which the Negro passively accepted his unjust plight, to a substantive and positive peace, in which all men will respect the dignity and worth of human personality. Actually, we who engage in nonviolent direct action are not the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive. We bring it out in the open, where it can be seen and dealt with. Like a boil that can never be cured so long as it is covered up but must be opened with all its ugliness to the natural medicines of air and light, injustice must be exposed, with all the tension its exposure creates, to the light of human conscience and the air of national opinion before it can be cured.

We must deal with these issues now. We must not allow them to grow and fester in the shadows. While some people may take advantage of the protests, the majority are there for a great cause. We must back what is happening and join in.

[Image: 2Y6XCEF.png]
[Image: Xwhw2zl.gif]
[Image: 2utoLVQ.png]