Create Account

[FHN] The S56 Grit/60 Index

[Image: FHN.png]

1201 Words + Spreadsheet, [Double Media Week - Holidays Edition]

With S56 coming to a close, it's about time we started reflecting on the league's journey into FHM: Attributes mean something, scoring is up, and it's the belief of a lot of people that we are entering a new era of stability (well, once everyone stops tanking, that is). With that said, there is one thing that hasn't changed, and it's something we at the Fitted Hockey Network believe should change, and that's the way we look at grit players. While everyone has been scoring up the wazoo, we forget about the players that give their body and soul to the game, and we at the Fitted Hockey Network want to right this wrong. So, because of that, we have developed a way to shine a light on the people that might not get the same focus from our competition. This, of course, is the development of the Grit/60 index.

So, what is the Grit/60 Index?

Well, it's exactly what you think it is: it's a way to measure a player's grit, measured by simple stats that all come from the Index. No advanced stats are used in this calculation, because, as we all know, advanced stats are for nerds, and we do not tolerate that kind of behavior.

Grit/60 is calculated using the following formula:

Grit = (PIM + HIT+ (SB/2) + (3 x Fights) + (10 x Fights Won))/(Points+1)/60

For an explanation on the weighting (And in case you are wondering, the formula will be re-evaluated for next season's index):

- Penalty Minutes and Hits are all a part of the pedigree of a grit player: they are the cornerstones of toughness, and they end up having a significant weight for those who rack up the most. Therefore, there is no special weighting on these.

- Shots Blocked is a pretty interesting thing to take into account: on one hand, blocking pucks using your body is gritty as fuck, but it also actively contributes to the game at hand, providing less time to the player to do more gritty things. For this edition, however, the FHN has decided that, to be nice, shots blocked do provide quite a bit of ranking to a player's overall score: however, it's significantly fewer points than if we give full credit in order to keep this a conversation about grit.

- Fights are where the boys should be separated from the men: getting into a fight is the ultimate mark of a player's toughness. Even if they lose the fight, actually getting INTO a fight gets you brownie points in the eyes of the FHN. However, considering how rare fights are in this league (very sad, I know), we decided to have fights be HEAVILY weighted, and establish them in a way where they act as a massive bonus: if you never got into a fight, you don't get the bonus. If you did get into a fight, you more than deserve quite a few extra points.

- Now, I know a lot of you are looking at the way points are accounted for in this calculation and are going to say "BUT MCP! ISN'T IT BETTER IF A PLAYER CAN BOTH SCORE AND BE GRITTY????????" No. Any time scoring or setting up a play is precious time taken away from actively knocking the shit out of opponents. We ain't about that here at the FHN. If you want to talk about things like "effectiveness" or "team play," then go read inferior journalism like SHN.

With that out of the way: gaining points is an effective way to kill any chance you have from making it to the top of the list, and it's the reason many players ended up lower on the list than many would believe.

- Last but not least, everything is divided by 60. Why? Well, like a lot of mathematical and scientific constants... it just works. Trust me.

Now, with that out of the way, FHN is proud to present....

Now, I'll let you explore and find your player and fun stuff like that. Now, let's go over something I was the most curious about...

TOP 5 GRIT PLAYERS IN THE SHL FOR S56

Now, I initially tried to talk about the top 10 at first, but 10-5 were just not that interesting to talk about: namely, they were mainly carried by low points and high shots blocked. The top 5 on the other hand... wow.

5. DeMarcius Smyth - Atlanta Inferno

Leave it to the vets to show how it's done. With almost 140 penalty minutes and a WHOPPING 300+ hits, not to mention his 0.750% Win Percentage in fights, it really shows how well seasoned DeMarcius Smyth is in this league. Of course, his point total of 19 definitely chipped his score down quite a bit, but a commendable effort nonetheless.

4. Ambacas Cuddles - Tampa Bay Barracuda

Then the vets make way for the next generation. Cuddles really was a mini- DeMarcius Smyth, with somewhat fewer points in every category, with the exception of shots blocked, which he almost doubled in comparison and ended up being the x factor in him being above Smyth after calculations.

3. Jakob Hamr - Tampa Bay Barracuda

A major trend for many players on the list was that their score ended up being inflated by their shots blocked. It just so happened to really elevate Jakob Hamr, who had a whopping 220 blocked shots. This was further elevated over players like Nat Emerson who had significantly higher point totals.

2. Luc-Pierre Lespineau-Lebr - Baltimore Platoon

Now, THIS is a specimen. Great hit and PIM numbers, decent fight numbers, and we got a great grit player. It's honestly amazing how well he did, considering his "meaty" point totals.

1. Wibbly McButternutz - Tampa Bay Barracuda

Now, while his hits and penalty minutes are pretty passe when compared to some of the top players and even some of his teammates, what really puts Wibbly McButternutz in a league of his own was the fact he LOVED fights. His 6 total fights (and he wasn't a slouch, winning half of them) led the league, and it really made the difference, not to mention his awesomely low 2 points in 50 games.

And, that's pretty much it. I've had this one in my drafts for a while and I thought it would be a good time to finish this off. As for what I'm looking to do with this in the future...

- I do want this to be a seasonal thing, so do expect one for S57
- Two editions from now, I am planning on starting comparisons for subsequent seasons. I unfortunately can't really compare S57 with S56, considering the amount of games played
- I might relook at the formula eventually, since a lot of top spots were given due to low points, but not necessarily the other aspects. If you guys have a suggestion to how I could fix that, it would be very much appreciated
- I do plan on eventually going back and creating indexes for previous seasons. Doing the FHM seasons will be easy, but if I do want to do STHS seasons, I will need suggestions on how to scrape together the data

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

WIBBLY

[Image: rum_ham.gif] [Image: ox6aAot.png]
[Image: 62428_s.gif]
[Image: ddIlIkT.png]Colin Lambert ll Left Defence ll Barracuda[Image: NA3IV5m.png]

AMAZING JOURNALISM!

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

01-03-2021, 11:51 PMFitted2106 Wrote: AMAZING JOURNALISM!

I learned from the best <3

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

Wibbly McButternutz - that's a name I haven't heard in ages.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

Bella is my son. I accept

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

FHN has the highest quality articles of any network

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Now this is what i play for

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber
(This post was last modified: 01-04-2021, 03:41 PM by trella.)

@Blastmeaway is my father

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

Funny enough I actually was thinking of doing something like this, good stuff.

[Image: Duff101.gif]
Credit to Geck, Ragnar and Juni for sigs

This is why FHN is on top ladies and gentlemen

[Image: wMFFUe4.gif]

Barracuda S56 1st Overall Barracuda

Gary Grease Career Stats: Click Here
Graphics Shop: Click Here

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  Barracuda Russia Barracuda  [Image: c8B2LE3.png]