Create Account

S55 PT #1 - Back To Where It All Began

Given your player's incredible success blossoming into an SHL superstar and a local hero, your old school has invited you back to give a very special talk to the current youth; they know how respected you are in the community and they know how much it would mean to those kids to hear from you in person. So during the offseason, at the beginning of the school year, you travel back to your hometown and visit the primary school/middle school/high school/university that you attended and give a speech to inspire the youth.

Written Option A (150 words min.): What is the speech about? How are you going to try and inspire (or at least entertain) these kids? How does it go? Do you wind up mumbling on stage because you are a big buffoon who isn't can word good or are you an eloquent and captivating orator? Do you think the next [you] is out there in the audience listening?

Written Option B (150 words min.): Provide an excerpt of your speech - either from the main portion or the Q&A that follows.

Graphic Option: Show your player giving their speech to the group of kids, along with any props (a powerpoint, since that could be something funny, or any other props used in the talk) and a speech bubble with some words of wisdom.

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.
You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.
This PT will close Sunday, August 2nd at 11:59pm ET.
Affiliate claims from either PBE or NSFL are accepted. (if you’re claiming this and have a different username on the affiliate's site then you need to state that in your post to get credit)
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2020, 09:09 PM by Faelax.)

Alex got to visit his hometown of St. Cloud, Minnesota over this off-season. His old high school coach saw him around town, and invited Alex to come speak at an assembly. He spent far too long preparing the speech, knowing that he not the best public speaker and that he would likely not use most of what he wrote down. Alex showed up the day of the assembly and started to give his speech to the 500 some high schoolers who were there that day. He talked a little bit about his time at the school, but mostly about what his life has been like since making the jump to the SMJHL. He talked about the thrill of getting his name called on the draft floor, went over some of his training routine, and answered some questions from the audience. All but one of the questions were about various things going on in the league, players he has interacted with, and just general hockey talk. 

166 words

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 11:20 AM by sve7en.)

While visiting their dad for a few weeks this summer, Jimmy and Sara were invited back to speak to the 350 students at their old secondary school about goal setting - something the Wagner athletes have had a lot of familiarity with. Both Wagner kids studied a lot of biology at BORG Perg, the equivalent of an American high school, where their love of sports transitioned into a fascination with the human body and it's mechanics. Sara, while not as eloquent as her older brother, captivated the younger scientific minds with her anecdotes of working on projects in the biomedical engineering research labs at USC. Jimmy, while not getting to follow his interest in physiology at university, used his natural charisma to impart their theories and practices of goal setting, something that they attribute much of their athletic success to. After the assembly they took questions, mostly from fascinated teenagers suddenly more interested in trying to go study at North American universities, but a few curious athletes wanted to know the training routines that the siblings used to refine their speed.

181 words

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 03:41 AM by Dextaria.)

"Hello everyone, my name is Ryosuke Sato. You all may have heard of me from the SHL or SMJHL, so I was invited back to give a little bit of a speech at my old high school. It wasn't too long ago that I was studying in the exact classes that you all are taking classes in. After graduating high school, I was scouted by SMJHL scouts. It isn't common for them to come to Japan since hockey isn't all that big here, so I had to play the best game I could play while they were here. When they left and the SMJHL draft rolled around I was still a nobody. Not many teams knew of me and I wasn't too sure if I was even going to get drafted, but then I was surprised to hear my name called out as early in the 2nd round. My dreams were coming true right at the moment that I thought I should give it up. I have never been so happy to wear a jersey and continued to work hard going forward. Sure I was the smallest player on the ice 100% of the time, but that didn't stop me from giving my 110% every shift... 

... My first season didn't finish the way I wanted to. We missed the playoffs and I didn't even get 9 points. However, I knew I gave it my all every shift and continued to train hard off the ice. With that, it seemed like SHL scouts began to see my hard work ethic. I ended up being drafted 2nd overall in the SHL. I could not believe it. And as of now I continue to work hard to be the best I can be for my teams...

...So what I am trying to say is that if you all continue to work hard in what you find passionate about, you will all be successful in your own way. Whether it be music or games, I know that hard work and dedication always pays off. Don't be afraid just because you think that others are better, continue to push yourself and you will be surprised at what you can accomplish. One day, someone will notice that hardwork and dedication for what you do..."

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!
(This post was last modified: 07-31-2020, 11:54 PM by SFresh3.)

[Image: 6IISRMj.jpg]

[Image: ScottyFresh3.gif]
[Image: QFNCFWS.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: 6QlU4ci.png]

I'm traveling back to my hometown of Portland, Maine, and Portland High School, to give the student body a little speech about what it takes to be a big league player. We haven't produced any sports talent at the next level for like 20 years, so its a big deal that I'm fictionally playing professional hockey for the Kelowna Knights. During my speech I'd outline how many sacrifices it takes to be a professional hockey player. My player had to move from Portland to Quebec in his junior year of high school, due to the fact that scouts wouldn't even sniff the Maine hockey scene due to the low level of play. That meant having to make new friends, learn a new language, and move to a foreign country. Along with that, I have to spend nearly double my yearly contract just to meet with a former NHL player once a season to watch some film. $4 million dollars, to watch some film. Crazy.

[Image: rotti.gif]

(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 02:24 AM by 5ympathies.)

Ah ah, wagwan crodies, thanks for linking up with a mans back at school. Wallahi if you listen to this boy up here spittin facts at you best be making it in the SHL ahlie. The tings in New England were bad, but now in Hamilton they are even badder. Toronto mans have nothing on me when I'm out here playing hockey ahlie. The bucktee's cant play with us no more. The sauga boys, the brampton boys, they all trying to mess with me now, but the mandem is keeping them back, the SHL hockey crew is tight, no one mans will ever touch me again ahlie. Dont cheese me. You should feel blessed, fam, that I came out here to link up with you and teach you about my ways. Some of you waste mans, don't bother listening, this info isn't for you, you're weak. Yeah eh, that's all I got for you snakes today.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

“And so I say through this necromancer to you all, ghosts of Wuhan Lab 881-B, that you don’t need to let the lack of a corporeal form keep you from achieving your dreams of playing against and ultimately losing to me. You all spent your living days playing the game of hockey non-stop, and I know deep down that the host of revenants in this lab are laboriously playing hockey beyond the grave. I’m sure that you all have some sort of bullshit ghost hockey going on in here. And, through my quantum goaltending training, I’m going to find a way to interact with that game.  And when I do, I’m going to give you another thrashing.  So worry not, your mindless undead hockey games have a purpose.  You are preparing for a brighter future where you get to test your skills once again against the great goaltending phenom [Name Redacted]!  And that is a future to work toward!”

[Image: x7WZYBT.gif]
[Image: hTAHbeC.png][Image: OaCJVMI.png] | [Image: pMYriGC.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2020, 11:27 PM by hockeyiscool.)

[Image: cHr61Ca.png]

“Hello and good afternoon everyone. My name is Augustus Wang. I’m a professional hockey player for the Buffalo Stampede of the SHL. You may have heard of my team or you might’ve watched Team Canada bring home the gold medal in the IIHF World Championship, which I was also a part of. Well, I’m here today to talk to you about how to improve your own lifestyle through physical activity. One of the first things you need to do is to recognize whether or not you’re actually good at the sport and if you’re physically gifted enough to become a real athlete. If you feel that you’re neither of those, then you should re-think your life choices. Next, you can check out my partners over at SHLKush.com where we are giving you guys an “exclusive” deal with 20% off on your first orders of “equipment” using coupon code WANG20. Don’t forget to “ask” for your parents’ credit card information, social security number and credit score when buying stuff on SHLKush.com because we care about safety. I hope you all enjoyed my TED talk! Have a good day.”

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

ISFL PT - https://nsfl.jcink.net/index.php?showtopic=23920

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 04:13 PM by JamesT.)

Code:
Written Option A (150 words min.): What is the speech about? How are you going to try and inspire (or at least entertain) these kids? How does it go? Do you wind up mumbling on stage because you are a big buffoon who isn't can word good or are you an eloquent and captivating orator? Do you think the next [you] is out there in the audience listening?

My old high school notified me about talking to the current students about my history with the school and give some words of encouragement to them. I have done speeches in the past for school assignments, but this is the first time that I will be talking to an audience that is much younger than me.

I plan to talk about my memories of the school, give some tips for the students to succeed and what it is like to be an SHL player. The talk when smoothly with some pauses in between to collect my thoughts and me cracking some jokes to lighten the mood. After the talk I open up the floor to some Q & A and one student asked me "did I ever envision myself being an SHL player" and I said "to be honest no but my work ethic and determination eventually got me to where I am today." I'm not the biggest, strongest, fastest or have the best hockey skills, but your dedication to the game of hockey will triumph at the end of the day.

Afterwards I mingled with some of the students. played some floor hockey and took a picture with students and faculty. I surprised everyone when I bought the whole school free pizza!

Code:
213 words

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2020, 07:30 AM by _Blitz_.)

Danny Marston is the type of guy who already tries to spend at least a week back home between seasons, and at least a day is spent in his childhood rink teaching kids to play hockey. So for Career Day, he took some time and prepped two speeches: one about being a hockey player and manager tells stories of great games played, goals scored, and trades won, and another about all of the things he wished someone had told the kid in the blue hoodie he'd once been, with big dreams and a heavy weight of expectations on his shoulders.

Thankfully, the first-graders that he's been invited to talk to at his old elementary school are more athletically inclined, and reveled in the "war stories". The speech went over well. There were a few slip-ups, a few hastily-edited details for the sake of not saying "fuck" in a room full of seven-year-old kids. It was an enlightening and good experience for most. There were a few kids that balk and scoff, but they were hushed quickly and it didn't change the overall mood of the room. The kids didn't hang off of every word but Danny got the reactions he was looking for as the speech and stories went on. Winces where someone is in pain, laughs when something funny happens, etc. 

"The thing I want to leave you with," Danny said at the end, "is that at the end of the day, sports are meant to be fun. It's meant to be something that you enjoy doing. Being good enough to become a professional is a rare blessing. Play the game for yourself and for your team. You don't always have to win, but you make the winning and the losing worth it by having fun. That's all these stories are."

It ended after about an hour, and the kids went back to class. Danny packed up the gear he brought with him, thinking about the future and remembering what it was like to be a kid and sit in these talks. He wondered if, like he was, the people who had talked to him in his youth wondered about the futures in store for him and his classmates. He wondered about the next 1C/GM of the Scarecrows, and where they might be now. It was a ridiculous thought, but who really knows for sure? Maybe it was one of the kids he just spoke to.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

Quote:"Sven is not going to lie to innocent childern.  Most of you children in large  Swedish city do not have the courage to become professional hockey player. You are weak children. You are not tough like your ancestors' were. If you wish to be strong, you must go into the Swedish wilderness and live as your forefathers did, eat the berries and the reindeer. Skin a reindeer with your bare hands like your grandfather. It is only through the sacrifice of another living being that you can absorb the power and the determination that is required to be a professional hockey player. Do you kids know who  Gary Roberts is? Gary Roberts fractured his fibula in a game and you know what he did? He skated back to the bench! Are any of you children that tough? I don't think you are. I think you are weak.  I think that SHL will eat you alive. You will never be strong like Sven Gunnar. You will never be strong like hockey player! Give up.  Become Accountant. Become Bartender. You will not make it as a hockey player..

Code:
181 Words

PT pass

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath