Create Account

S55 SMJHL PT #2 - Looking Ahead

So you're back again for more TPE, eh? What are you going to do with all those points once you've earned them?

Use the very helpful Player Build Tool for this task. Attach a screenshot, or use the "Generate" or "Shareable Link" buttons at the bottom to post your build.

Written option: Give us a projected build for your player at 425 TPE, the cap for your third season onwards in juniors. In at least 150 words, explain your reasoning for the build however you want. (Hint: look at the sim and see what the players at the top of the leaderboards are doing and/or ask your GM for tips.)

Graphic option: Make a hockey card with some of the attributes you're aiming to have at 425 TPE. Must include a render.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S55 SMJHL Rookies (S56 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

Deadline Monday, August 10th @ 11:59 PM Eastern (Timeline gonna be a bit messed up cuz I'm on vacation but you get a later deadline for this one to make up for the late start)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 04:13 PM by funk.)

https://simulationhockey.com/playerbuild...NSwxNSwxNQ==

This is Grandmaster Funk at his SMJHL apex.

Speed kills. The passing is immaculate. Shifty, yet sturdy. Smart, yet stunning.

These are all aspects of the perfect modern-day blueliner. These are all aspects of Funk.
He'll run your powerplay. He'll kill penalties. He'll work the puck up the ice. He'll feed your shooters. He'll take your squad to lunch after he's done dusting them on the ice.

Funk wants to be an outlet machine with excellent game sense. The high passing and puck handling will allow him to take his time with his decisions that can be executed on promptly with his speed and acceleration. He'll be difficult to remove from the puck with high balance and agility. My hypothesis is perennial Defenseman of the Year, but I do tend to downplay my expectations. Perhaps All-Time-Great would be a more accurate term.

UPDATESPLAYER PAGE

https://simulationhockey.com/playerbuild...TUsMTMsMTU=

When talking about the projected build I want to create, two stats that jump to my mind immediately are getting my Positioning and Reflexes up to 15 so I can be as fast as a cat and be able to always be in the correct position to block anything that comes my way. Another few that obviously come up are Blocker, Low Shots, and Gloves at 13 helps me block all the goals so I can do my job right. Recovery is also important at 13 cause I need to get back in position every time I go for dives. All of this together will help me be the workhorse goaile that every team needs. I am already impressing some people with my goalies save rate, though that might be because of the absurd amount of shots that come my way. I definitely hope to use this build to continue my domination of the league.

[Image: pt2.png]

[Image: 3.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 05:22 PM by sakrosankt.)

Balanced is the key to being a successful player, that‘s the first thing I learned in the league.
After a short talk with my new General Managers immediately after the draft, it was clear what I had to concentrate on.
Lots of different attributes I need to concentrate on, to become the successful player I want to develop into.
After a bit of research, I saw why my General Managers wanted me to be as balanced as possible – it means to be successful in the league, if you look at the players already playing at the cap.
Not only is it very one sided if you push one attribute and leave the others low, it also doesn‘t help the team at all if you push hard on just a few components of the game.
Clever players build a balanced player, so at 425 TPE I want to be as balanced as possible.
Every build has his strength and weaknesses, but a balanced build just evens that out to get you to the best version of yourself.
Definitely the best way to get balance is having 12 for almost every attribute, except for some low priority ones like Screening, Faceoffs or not wishful ones as Fighting and Aggression.

Here the BALANCED build (424 TPE):
Offensive Ratings
Screening: 5
Getting Open: 12
Passing: 12
Puckhandling: 12
Shooting Accuracy: 12
Shooting Range: 11
Offensive Read: 12

Defensive Ratings
Checking: 12
Hitting: 11
Positioning: 12
Stickchecking: 12
Shot Blocking: 12
Faceoffs: 5
Defensive Read: 12

Physical Ratings
Acceleration: 12
Agility: 12
Balance: 12
Speed: 12
Stamina: 13
Strength: 12
Fighting: 5

Mental Ratings
Aggression: 5
Bravery: 11

Balance is the key in FHM, or so I've learned. You need to be good in all areas of the game or FHM can be quite unforgiving to you. That's why I plan to get almost everything to 12 right off the bat. I don't want to leave any open areas weak just in case it craters my game on the ice. If I can keep myself solid at all aspects I'm hoping it won't hinder me anywhere. Also, as a power forward, I want to be good all over the ice. I could just focus on offense, but I want to be able to play solid defense and be on the ice for all situations, not just sheltered ones. I want to be defensively responsible along with a threat on offense so that's also why I'm aiming for the balanced approach to my build. Everything makes sense in theory, but hopefully it panes out on the ice in FHM.

(160 words)

Code:
TPE: 425

[color=red][b][u]Player Attributes[/u][/b][/color]

[b]Points Available: 0[/b]

[u]Offensive Ratings[/u]
Screening: 7
Shooting Range: 12
Offensive Read: 12

[u]Defensive Ratings[/u]
Hitting: 12
Shot Blocking: 9
Faceoffs: 12
Defensive Read: 12

[u]Physical Ratings[/u]
Acceleration: 12
Stamina: 12

[u]Mental Ratings[/u]
Bravery: 6
*Determination: 15
*Team Player: 15
*Leadership: 15
*Temperament: 15
*Professionalism: 15

*Indicates attributes that cannot be edited.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
47-17-2
Regular Season - [G 7] [A 13] [Pts 20] [+/- +27] [PIM 36] [Hits 37] [SB 125]
Playoffs - [G 0] [A 2] [Pts 2] [+/- +4] [PIM 0] [Hits 0] [SB 12]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

(This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 05:58 PM by Keven.)

Since I'm aiming to work towards a balance between a two-way forward and a playmaker, I've got a lot of different stats to prioritize when constructing a good 425 point build. To get some inspiration, I looked at some of the key components for different types of forwards builds while also looking at the builds of players such as Steve Harrington to see what some of the best ideas for a build would be. I came to the conclusion that getting to a level 12 or 13 in important stats is more of a priority than balancing a few more points into miscellaneous skills that would cost less TPE. It'll be a while before I reach 425 points, so I also need to consider what to work towards first. I'm thinking of getting all important stats up to 11 first, then making sure all my lower point attributes reach their mark, and then finally focussing on getting one stat at a time up to level 13.

Code:
TPE: 425

[color=red][b][u]Player Attributes[/u][/b][/color]

[b]Points Available: 1[/b]

[u]Offensive Ratings[/u]
Screening: 8
Passing: 13
Puckhandling: 13
Shooting Range: 9
Offensive Read: 13

[u]Defensive Ratings[/u]
Hitting: 8
Shot Blocking: 9
Faceoffs: 7
Defensive Read: 13

[u]Physical Ratings[/u]
Acceleration: 13
Agility: 13
Balance: 13
Stamina: 13
Strength: 11

[u]Mental Ratings[/u]
Bravery: 7

[Image: Keven.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic, @Matteo, @sulovilen, @zeagle1, and @TheOPSquid for all the sigs!
Czechia Malamutes Rage Czechia
Canada Citadelles pride syndicate
(This post was last modified: 08-03-2020, 06:06 PM by GCool.)

SHL Player Builder Wrote:TPE: 425

Player Attributes

Points Available: 0

Offensive Ratings
Screening: 12
Getting Open: 15
Shooting Accuracy: 15
Shooting Range: 8
Offensive Read: 13

Defensive Ratings
Checking: 11
Hitting: 10
Positioning: 10
Stickchecking: 10
Shot Blocking: 10
Faceoffs: 5
Defensive Read: 10

Physical Ratings
Acceleration: 10
Stamina: 12

Mental Ratings
Aggression: 6
Bravery: 9

Let's take a look at this from all three facets of the game. On the offensive end, it's my goal to be a problem for the opposing side and create interference up at the net. My screening is high, and reading offenses is high, but where my player excels above most others will be in getting open and making the shots on goal count. There might not be a lot of opportunities besides on rebounds from my linemates, but all of those garbage collections will be on target.

As for defense, I want to keep everything somewhat balanced (but still forcing my strengths into offensive categories). While not surrendering too much and being a categorically bad defender, I'm not necessarily looking for defensive awards here, either. My game is pressure on the puck carrier and screening in the offensives zone.

For physical ratings and mental game, balance is key once again. I'll keep up the stamina and speed moving forward, but I'm not exactly an agitator apart from my presence up around the crease. That requires a little bit of bravery and not much aggression.

https://simulationhockey.com/playerbuild...TUsMTUsMTU=

My original goal was to create a defensive defenseman, and this does not alter from that strategy. Originally I wanted to be a crease-clearing type, but with the new rule only allowing one per team and the Whalers already having one of those, I realized I needed to tweak my upcoming stats a little bit to be a bit more flexible for allowing for multiple roles, such as a stay-at-home or old-school defenseman. Flexibility is a key trait in any player.

I at first made sure most of my stats that aren't exclusively offense were at least all 11. Even though I have somehow taken 5 faceoffs this season I left this at the lowest setting.  I then concentrated most of my stats in the Defensive categories but also the key offensive stats of passing and puck handling.  

This leaves my physical rating a bit lower on average than key stats, but not enough to be of concern. Once I can get past the 425 cap I slowly work to move those up to a more acceptable level.

[Image: A9nSgBs.gif]

Phillip Weaver's Projected 425 TPE Build

Well I always felt as a goalie the most important attribute they can have to become a starter is stamina. Stamina is so important to be the workhorse starter that I expect to be on a young expansion team. Right behind that is mental toughness, especially playing behind such a young defense, I'm going to be letting in goals and the ability to just shake one off and focus on the next shot will be key to success. On the physical side of things I've talked with some veteran goalies in the league and they've told me to focus on reflexes and positioning. On top of what the veterans have told me I also wanted to focus on my rebound control, which I believe will be key to cleaning up some unnecessary goals against. Other then an above average glove hand the rest of the attributes are a bit middling but will have time to improve on those as my player grows even further.

[Image: Qfss7w7.png]      [Image: 8yB62LM.png]
[Image: W19eaver.gif]

When it comes to my build, I am really looking forward to being a defensive defenseman. I am looking at the defensive builds, you have to look at checking, hitting, defensive read, acceleration, balance, and stamina as attributes to really take advantage of and upping. I have an ideal build at 250, so it was a change to look at upping that to 425. I looked at all of the red and want to up those to at least 13, I really want to focus on those to get better defensively first, that is my goal, no question. Puck Handling is the only thing that would be less than 13, but I do think that maybe Defensive Read at 15 should be downgraded a little. I have Checking, Hitting, Acceleration all at 13 while Balance and Stamina is at 14 which sounds pretty good. I think I am focused on defense which is the ultimate goal for my player, so I think I will absolutely have that with this build.

Words: 170

[Image: huNeCNb.png]
Thank you OrbitingDeath! <3

Player Build

I have always planned for Jonas to be an offensive defenceman, but starting off, I have always been told that having a balanced build at the start is the best way to go. In the future I plan on having Jonas being more skewed towards his offensive abilities, but for now I have decided to make it more of a balanced setup.

On offence, you can still see he has an offensively skewed build, with everything being a minimum 10 apart from screening. As a rushing defencemen, I have focused on the skills that will help support him the most when he is on the rush, but since shooting accuracy for defencemen is capped at 12, I have left some focus off of shooting.

On defence, I want him to be reliable defensively, while still being an offensive powerhouse. I have decided to make sacrifices in certain area's, hitting and shot blocking. I believe Jonas can still be a solid defender by pouring points into def read, positioning, stick checking and checking, so at the moment I plan on focusing on those skills for defence, although I will not be completely neglecting shot blocking in the future and may give hitting a few more pity points if I feel the need, but Jonas isn't going to be a hitter.

Jonas will not slack on the physical side though, he will be a 5'8 physical monster, end of.

[Image: kahnwald.png]
Sig by @Ragnar

https://simulationhockey.com/playerbuild...TUsMTMsMTU=

[Image: cz8vLub.png] [Image: NZb4jMu.png]  [Image: zaE6tBV.png]

I made two because I'm cool and the 2nd one took 5 minutes.

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

I guess this build is not especially unique as I have jumped on the balance bandwagon here. As far as I can tell, the general consensus seems to be that building a balanced player in most positions is going to be beneficial in the sim. As a two-way defenseman I feel like that's particularly true, as I want my player to be an asset on both ends of the ice. Ideally I hope to push most stats to 12-13 to lay the foundation for Burke going forward and set both her and the team up for some success for the duration of her stay in the J. By the time Burke is ready for the SHL, she'll have some solid stats to build on and can start honing in on specific attributes that help her game in the big league. I imagine some more focus will be put on reading the game, positioning, and puckhandling.. but I'm still learning and I'll kind of figure that out as I talk some more with my GMs and teammates going forward.

[Image: kyamprac1.gif]
thank you amid and swoosh for sigs!

425 TPE Projected Build

Since I would like to build playmaker type of center player I prefer strength over speed and passing over shooting. In my opinion one of key skills for center players is faceoffs, that way team can have more attacks.
That is why my best skills would be faceoffs, passing and puck handling, it is important to win the puck and then get it safely to teammates. Right after that comes offensive read, strength and stamina, that is important for staying in control when shifts get longer. Since good physical skills are important for player that stands in the middle and gets lots of physical contact that is why balance, agility and acceleration are high on my list too. Of course some TPE must go to defense skills, so those skills would be between 9 and 11.
After I spent all my TPE I noticed that screening could be better since center player spends lots of time in front of opposite goalie, but my player was already built.