Create Account

The SHL Goalie Logjam Explained: Message to HO
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 06:31 PM by honkerrs.)

This being my last season in the J and being a goalie myself got me looking around the league a bit more.  I quickly realized, and I'm sure others have as well, that there is a pretty major logjam that is about to be fully clogged in the SHL.  With the amount of super active goalie users that are S50+ and a few oldies that are still hanging on with great earnings, this is quickly becoming a major issue that I think HO needs to address soon.  I know it's early but already in the S57 class there are 3 goalies in the top 10 of TPE, which is going to compound this problem that you'll see below.

I'm not in HO, or really want to ever be, but I truly believe that, at minimum, goalies should be allowed to swap to skaters.  How much does that cost?  Is it free one time per team every few seasons who gets to be the goalie?  Maybe the goalie should just be a bot?  I don't know.  Those are questions for people smarter than myself, but hopefully this article will lay down the case on why it needs to be on the agenda sooner than later for HO

The Three Main Reasons Why A Goalie Swap Should Be In Place

1) Only two SHL teams don't have a current active starting goalie.  I will break down all the teams' situations later in the article but even though some of the teams could have an improved goalie/situation, point is, that each team pretty much has an active user in the starting role.  When there is no ones job to really take, how does that feel for newer users that are just starting their J journey?  Or when barely any teams reach out to goalies during the draft because no one really needs, how does that feel for first creates?  On top of that, 5 teams have goalies that are either GMs or recent ex-GMs.  That means that already nearly 30% of the SHL teams won't ever need a goalie for the forseeable future. 

2) Splitting time = no awards. Let's be honest, the main statistic in determining Goalie of the Year are wins.  It's like that in the NHL for the most part and is very obvious here as well.  Well, if part of the league splits time with goalies and the other part doesn't who do you think is going to get all the awards?  Not too much fun for anyone.  I can use a personal example on how I am about to have to share time with Carpy.  I am dreading this because I feel awful that Carpy has been waiting for awhile for a good team in Toronto so now that we are finally getting there, he won't be up for awards because of time share.  If this situation happened to others I feel like the younger goalie, like myself, would become very disinterested in the league because of the situation.

3) Goalies just don't really matter in FHM.  Yes, I said it.  That can be a whole other article itself but it's pretty obvious by now that as long as you have a goalie in the 1000+ TPE range, you are going to see minimal results with any sort of an upgrade.  I know SFP didn't previously believe this but I think that trade really woke up a lot of people's eyes that goalies really don't matter because of all the chatter around it.  Without doing any analysis you can already see that some of the best teams are more than comfortable playing with goalies that are only 800-1000 TPE as well (Buf, Ham).  One last point is that there currently is a 1700+ TPE Goalie in Free agency right now.  I know a lot of people will claim it's his personality but let's be real, if he was a 1700+ skater he would've easily been signed right now and been playing multiple more seasons.

In case you don't want to read the explanation on why I put each team in each of these very sophisticated categories I give you a tldr right here below.  In my eyes, there is really only one team that is in a slight emergency on not having a 1k TPE option in the near future.  Even that team has plenty of prospects to choose from that other teams currently have extras of is part of the issue.

The No Doubts (9/18)
Platoon Stampede  Wolfpack Stars Panthers Monarchs pride Renegades Jets

The More Than Likelys (2/18)
Rage Dragons 

The Probably Fines (4/18)
Inferno Steelhawks Specters Blizzard

The TBDs (But Set Up Well) (2/18)
 syndicate Barracuda

The Needy (1/18)
Argonauts

The No Doubts
Teams that either have GMs/recent ex-GMs as goalies and/or have a young 1k+ TPE goalie.  Don't need to draft a goalie for 15-20+ seasons and even if their young, high-earners go IA they will still be set for a bit

Platoon
SHL Team
S49 Marques Brownlee (253 TPE) – Inactive
S51 Luca Del Vecchio (1275 TPE) – Active

Prospects
None

Even though the Platoon have no prospects I easily but them in the No doubt category.  Del Vecchio is not only a high earning Goalie, but he is also the co-GM of the team.  This combined with the fact that del Vecchio is already easily over the 1k+ TPE threshold makes it so the Platoon don't need to worry about goalies for a long,long time.

Stampede
SHL Team
S46 Yuri Ushakov (286 TPE) – Inactive
S51 Elizabeth Doyle (1270 TPE) – Active

Prospects
S55 Blunt Man (436) – Active
S56 Chimkin Tendy (345) - Active

Yeah, obviously not much to say here.  Doyle is another young 1200+ TPE goalie that has already proved she doesn't even need that much TPE to be effective.  I don't see Doyle going IA anytime soon whatsoever because of her J GM role either.  On top of all this Buffalo also have two active goalie prospects.  I know WBF/Tomen love being able to get assets for teams that become desperate for goalies so if Blunt and Tendy stay active, look for them to be offloaded if a team in the lower tiers somehow needs a goalie.

Wolfpack
SHL Team
S47 Alexander Thorstrom (305) – Inactive
S53 Frans Eller (977) – Active

Prospects
None

Similar to the Platoon, but just a few seasons behind.  Eller is already at that competitive TPE threshold for goalies and is only S53.  Even if he went IA at this moment the Wolfpack wouldn't technically need a goalie for quite a bit since he is far from regression.  Additionally, as a recent Ex-gm, I don't see them ever needing to draft anyone because of his loyalty to the team.

Stars
SHL Team
S46 Harry Carpet (1912) – Active
S50 Monty Montgomery (173) - Inactive

Prospects
S54 Scoochie Stratton (751) - Active

The Stars are one of the more unique teams on this list.  Even though none of their goalies are in a GM/coach role , Carpy might be the first 2k TPE goalie of all time.  Even though he is 1 season from regression, he would be able to fight regression for a very, very long time to keep competitive in FHM.  Then on top of the highest TPE goalie in the league they have myself.  Since this is me, I can safely say I'm not going to go IA unless of emergency so fairly soon I'm going to reach that 1k TPE area so the Stars are going to be set for awhile here.  Even if I did go IA right now, I still believe the Stars are in this category because of how high TPE Carpy already is without regressing yet.

Panthers
SHL Team
S48 Biz Nasty (347) – Inactive
S49 Knox Booth (1541) - Active

Prospects
S56 Ragnar-Alexandre Ragnarsson-Tremblay (263) - Active

Well if Carpy doesn't hit 2k TPE then Booth is going to possibly be the first there.  Him being a few seasons away from regression and probable close to 2k TPE, the Panthers are set for awhile , especially if Booth fights regression.  On top of that the Panthers even drafted a fairly active prospect as well, but even if he goes IA I don't see the Panthers needing a goalie for awhile.

Monarchs
SHL Team
S50 Markus Tegernako (1372) – Active
S53 Separa Borro (436) – Inactive

Prospects
None

Another goalie that is a GM for the team.  Even if Tegernako went IA today, the monarchs would have time to draft and develop a goalie.  Tegernako is on pace to be easily 1800+, if not more, so Monarchs are set for awhile.  Even though they have no prospects, as long as Tegerneko fights regression they are set for quite awhile.

pride
SHL Team
S42 Geezus Kryyst (1166) – Active
S52 Cillian Kavanagh (1050) – Active

Prospects
S55 Nicolae Antonescu (557) – Active
S56 Valtteri Aalto (236) – Inactive?

Man, this team loves goalies.  Cillian is a top notch young earner at the moment that has already reached 1k TPE.  On top of that, if somehow Kavanagh goes IA, they have Antonescu earning very well also so they are set for quite a bit.  This is even disregarding Kryyst seemingly still updating recently to fight regression?  So ya, they're definitely good here.

Renegades
SHL Team
S48 Patrick Niederreiter (510) – Inactive
S51 White Goodman (996) – Active

Prospects
None

This is one team I could possibly see going into the below category but I ultimately decided on that they're set.  Even though Goodman isn't a very high earner he already is in a solid spot TPE wise for the Renegades and is young enough where they won't have to worry about a goalie for a bit.  I also don't see Jearim going IA seeing he is now a J GM as well. 

Jets
SHL Team
S46 Billy Sorokin (465) – Inactive
S52 Strom Chamberlain (1098) – Active

Prospects
None

Jets are easily set for quite awhile with their GM Chamberlain being a top earner and only S52 so plenty of time to figure out something in case he does go IA, which I don't see happening.

The More Than Likelys
Teams that are fine for a more couple seasons because of their old starter, but still 1-2 seasons away for their prospect to be ready.  These prospects are also very close to being set

Rage
SHL Team
S46 Peter Larson (1382) – Active
S49 Malcolm Weekes (208) - Inactive

Prospects
S54 Name Redacted (747) - Active

Even though Larson recently became active again and is coming fresh off GotY I decided to put the Rage in this particular category.  If Larson ends up going IA again and isn't going to fight regression then the Rage look to be set with Redacted earning quite well still.  I don't think Redacted will go IA but I ultimately had to put the Rage in this category because of the off chance that both Larson and Redacted somehow go IA really soon.  Once Redacted reaches that 1k TPE area though this team will be set for awhile.

Dragons
SHL Team
S41 Kata Vilde (1457) – Active
S51 Elle Rush (224) – Inactive

Prospects
S54 Cale Amundsen (726) – Active
S55 Keisuke Suzuki (270) - Inactive

Similar situation to the Rage except it is a bit more trouble if Amundsen decides to go IA in the next season or two.  Amundsen has been earning at a fairly steady rate but I know he has a couple instances of history that he went IA so it could happen again, not sure.  Vilde won't be able to fight regression too much longer so if Amundsen doesn't make it to that 1k TPE area soon , the Dragons could be in some issues.  They did have a backup plan with Suzuki but seems he went IA already.

The Probably Fines
Teams that have a young active starter but haven't reached 1k TPE area yet.  Probably fine for a little bit even if starters go IA but no back up plan for that.

Inferno
SHL Team
S51 Mike Hroch (552 TPE) - Inactive
S52 Samat Beibitzhanov (811 TPE) – Active

Prospects
None

The Inferno seemed to take notes from the other top teams using low TPE, young starters because in the draft they end up going with Samat.  Even though Samat isn't earning max, he still is young (S52) and only a season or two away from being in that nice area.  I don't know the user so I'm not sure if he goes IA anytime soon, but Inferno could use a possible back up plan for that.

Steelhawks
SHL Team
S53 A Jobin (817) – Active
S55 Junior Guarda (247) – Active?

Prospects
None

Even with the Steelhawks picking up the most sought after back up goalie in the league in Guarda, they are still a season or two away for being perfectly comfortable with Jobin for a few seasons if he does go IA.  If he does, then the Steelhawks will need to quickly start looking at a back up.

Specters
SHL Team
S52 Olli Saarinen Jr. (881) – Active
S52 Sergei Potvinov (290) - Inactive

Prospects
None

My boy Pot made the big leagues!  Anyways, the situation with the Specters is basically the same as the Inferno and Steelhawks.  They have a young decent earning goalie nearly around 1k TPE so should be good enough for the time being.  But if he goes IA, they would have to figure out something quick.

Blizzard
SHL Team
S46 Eddy Ask Jr. (495) – Inactive
S48 Emiko Spector (1193) – Active?

Prospects
S54 Leo Bloomfield (406) – Active
S55 Peter Ramsey (475) - Active

The Blizzard was a really interesting case for me to decide where they should be put in.  Spector seems like she recently made an update after not doing so for awhile so if she is for sure back I'd maybe bump up the Blizzard.  But, the back up plans for if Spector does end up not updating ever again is not the best for the Blizzard.  I know Ramsey's user has a history of not staying active and Bloomfield hasn't been much of an earner who probably will barely hit 1k TPE in his final season, if that.  I'd say the Blizzard are probably set for now since Spector is S48 but this ranking can be totally moved around in just a couple months depending on what happens.

The TBDs (But Set up Well)
Teams that recently drafted back up plans but are in dire need of a goalie in a couple seasons

syndicate
SHL Team
S46 Tibuk Soonika (1332) – Active
S50 Shiqa Vitalievich – Inactive

Prospects
S56 Mat Smith (352) – Active
S56 Damien Vertigo (299) - Active

Chicago definitely is fine the next couple seasons but with Soonika being a sporadic updater lately I doubt he fights regression for too long or too much.  I think Chicago waited a bit too long to work on a back up plan but this season they seemed to take note and ended up with two goalies.  Smith seems to be pretty solid earning so far so I think he has a good shot of sticking around to take over in the future for Chicago.

Barracuda
SHL Team
S50 Ian Venables (720) – Inactive
S50 Tobias Lindeman (221) - Inactive

Prospects
S56 Phillip Weaver (378) – Active
S56 C.K. Supernaw (317) - Active

One of the two teams without a current active goaltender I still put the Brracuda in a higher category than Seattle.  The reason for this is that the Barracuda haven't needed goaltending lately as they are currently on a major rebuild so drafting a great prospect in Weaver this past draft is going to work perfectly in their window if he stays active.  The if he stays active part is the only reason I put them in the TBD category but in my eyes, Weaver was a top 5-10 pick if he wasn't a goalie so I'm high on him staying.  Additionally, the Barracuda drafted Supernaw too just in case.  Even though he isn't as high earning and has a history of IA I believe, it's not bad to wedge your bets twice if the Cuda want to make sure they have a goalie for their window.

The Needy
No 1k+ TPE goalie in sight and can see these teams drafting a goalie next draft

Argonauts
SHL Team
S49 Nolan McMahon (798) – Inactive
S51 Abroop Dhami (208) – Inactive

Prospects
S54 Thor Odinson (555) - Active

Even though this team is in the worst category, they aren't positioned THAT badly.  Still, it is getting to be a pretty dire situation.  Even though Seattle has a decent IA goalie in McMahon at nearly 800 TPE, their prospect isn't very high earning.  I thought that Seattle was going to look at goalies this draft but it must've just not been the right people for them.  Odinson has slowed down a lot in the S54 draft class so might not make 1k TPE before he starts regression.  Seattle should definitely look to solidify a plan here in case Odinson goes fully IA.

So in conclusion, I really believe that no team is thinking coming into next draft "holy SHIT I need a goalie soon".  With so many goalies being great users, FHM not being very great for goalies, and some teams just having extra goalies that could help the teams in slight emergencies this is a problem that needs to be looked at SOON and it'll only get worse in my opinion.  Kind of funny coincidence that the Slash thread started when I was working this article today but feel free to let me know in the comments if I should make anything more clear or I was wrong somewhere.

3233 words

[Image: honkerrs.gif]
[Image: OPTIMIZED.png]

agreed

also make goalies be recreates only

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

#anal

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

ISFL seems to do fine allowing wacky shit like a quarterback switching to offensive lineman so I don't think it would hurt too much aside from maybe record keeping on the careers of people who do? I'd take that hit to not screw over goalie creates who have basically no chance of a long term career starter spot.

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

09-23-2020, 02:22 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: ISFL seems to do fine allowing wacky shit like a quarterback switching to offensive lineman so I don't think it would hurt too much aside from maybe record keeping on the careers of people who do? I'd take that hit to not screw over goalie creates who have basically no chance of a long term career starter spot.
Yeah exactly. I mean personally I'd rather be able to help out my team than be a useless semi starter that won't make hall of fame anyways cause splitting goalie time

we should have a seperate european league filled with fake players that only goalies can play for. then we can add like 8 more starting spots and everyone is happy. crazy nobody else has thought of this yet.

09-23-2020, 02:22 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: ISFL seems to do fine allowing wacky shit like a quarterback switching to offensive lineman so I don't think it would hurt too much aside from maybe record keeping on the careers of people who do? I'd take that hit to not screw over goalie creates who have basically no chance of a long term career starter spot.

Don't see any reason we should limit position changes.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Good article honkerrs, lots for the site to digest and think about

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 02:44 PM by charlieconway.)

Mandate at least 12 games a season for backups. Also, consider having them on their own contract tier system, so we don't get to the twisted (and IMO inevitable) point where teams will be hurt for having a high TPE starter.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

I wish I would've done even a little bit of research before I just decided to make a goalie. And your theory of Buffalo trading me away makes me sad, but it makes sense I suppose. If I could go back, I definitely would've made a forward instead of a goalie. I'd switch if I could and my GMs were cool with it.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

good write up, @honkerrs . i agree that allowing goalies to switch positions is the best solution logistically

[Image: UCTqPUg.png]
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 02:51 PM by Ragnar.)

Also, I think the build guide should have a current number and need for each position.

Like:

Goalie: XX goalies currently/XX goalies necessary for all teams to have a full roster.
Forward: 230/270 forwards etc.

Because if a new person thinks "I want to make a goalie" then they see something like:

Goalie: 50/30 goalies

They'll change their mind and be a forward or defenseman.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤
(This post was last modified: 09-23-2020, 02:53 PM by fishy.)

Thank you for doing what I was too lazy to and putting this situation into words. I think HO should allow a one time position swap for goalies to become skaters.

This would likely increase player retention, as first-gens that create as goalies would actually have a pathway to future playing time besides getting 6-10 games as a backup every season. This would also help alleviate the lack of depth we have at certain positions (defencemen currently) that are resulting in a number of teams fielding sub-500 TPE IA defencemen.

HO should also be doing a better job at advertising which positions are actually needed. Many first time creates don’t understand that the goalie market is already flush with elite talent.

However, I do see some pushback in this suggestion from GMs and HO. I can see GMs, both SHL and SMJHL complaining about allowing free position swaps as it could screw up their roster in the short term and long term. Allowing these position swaps should thus only occur during the offseason so teams can plan around this. Additionally, there could be some possibilities that a user creates as a goalie in order to tank his draft stock, allowing a team to get additional prospects, knowing that this user is going to position swap from goalie in the future. A rule change must then account for the following;
1. Goalie saturation
2. Team planning
3. Potential abuse.

To counter these, at the present I think HO should implement something like allow any current goalies a free one time position switch. This would likely immediately alleviate the current goalie logjam.
Moving forward however, all future created goalies should only be allowed to position switch in the time between the end of their rookie season, and the time they get drafted into the SHL. This allows both SMJHL and SHL GMs to plan for the prospect’s position switch, and would prevent any abuse of the system through draft stock manipulation.
Ideally in conjunction with these rules, HO would then implement a “Position Need Tracker” of sorts, allowing first-gens and recreates to accurately assess which positions are truly needed, allowing these new users to make informed decisions when making their player.

Feel free to make any suggestions or anything, tagging @honkerrs and @PremierBromanov to get some good dialogue ongoing.

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

09-23-2020, 02:43 PMcharlieconway Wrote: Mandate at least 12 games a season for backups. Also, consider having them on their own contract tier system, so we don't get to the twisted (and IMO inevitable) point where teams will be hurt for having a high TPE starter.
eh, maybe I didn't get my point across good enough but what you're suggesting at first is kind of the point of why we need to let goalies swap.  But the point is that there are getting to be too many good users as goalies so that wouldn't be any fun for anyone trying to win awards.  Since some teams might split time to keep users engaged, then maybe a couple teams have an IA backup so they can play their active a lot to get all the awards.  Just doing contract tiers won't help the "funness" factor right now

slander against thor  Eyebrow

but good article honkers

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]