Create Account

S56 PT #2 - Fix It
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 12:25 AM by hotdog.)

For this PT, you're fixing something.
Written option: 150+ words, describe a weak spot of a current SHL or SMJHL team and how you would address it. It can be part of the roster, managerial decisions, the branding, the location, etc. - just don't take personal shots at anyone. What would be your strategy to deal with this weakness and improve the roster/franchise?

Graphic option: Your player is fixing something - not conceptually, as above, but literally fixing something around the house or in the arena - show us the home improvement scene of your player fixing it!
Ok another graphic option: Create a nice looking graphic version of a depth chart for an SHL team, prospects included, color coded to reflect roster strengths and weaknesses. 

You will receive 3 TPE for fulfilling all requirements.
Deadline: Sunday, October 11th at 11:59PM ET

Affiliate claims from either PBE or ISFL are accepted; link directly to your post and note if your username is different there.
If you have any questions/concerns, please PM me. Tasks with malicious intent will not be graded.

This task is for SHL players and send downs only, it is not for SMJHL rookies.

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 06:28 PM by 5ympathies.)

A current weak spot of the Hamilton Steelhawks, the team that I am currently a first line winger on, is the branding. It is just horrendous. Let us start with the colours. Grey? Terrible. Blue? Boring. White? Typical colonialist colour smh. Idk. It's decent, but it's not exciting, it is just boring. Maybe I'm just too eccentric, but it's just so basic and bland. LAP? That's sick. NOLA? Love it. ATL thirds? Unreal. These are cool colour combos that really draw attention to the logo. Hamilton is just to drab. Moving on to the name, what even is a steelhawk? A metal bird I guess? Now, I'm just hating for the sake of word count because I ran out of things to say about the colour but I'm not a name of any of it overall. Maybe it's just the ADHD of my generation but I need bright, bold colours that are absurdly bright like EDM or TBB in order to captivate my attention. Hamilton should just go balls to the walls and change their primary to like turquoise and have their secondary colour be flamingo pink. That would be hectic. 

Also there is no hate here.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 02:20 AM by hockeyiscool.)

A current weak spot of an SHL team is the Tampa Bay Barracudas is keeping the puck out of the net. One way to fix this is to improve upon the defensive side of the puck. As of now active roster is a little slim on defense. Currently there are only two active players on defense with Hamr and Cuddles. While having inactive players like Wibbly McButternuts, Kalevi Karhunen, Jack Wilson and Flash Gordon their skill level can be described in a range that varies from a rookie level in the Juniors all the way up to a third season juniors player.  These inactive defensive players on Tampa are below average for the SHL. One way to improve Tampa would be to dip into their emerging prospect pool. With studs like Jöörgüštrâäd DuBølk, Elwulf Jericson, Colin Lambert, Adrik Baranov, and Igor Victory the future of Tampa at the defensive position is looking extremely bright.
(This post was last modified: 10-11-2020, 10:49 AM by sve7en.)

A recent issue with the Los Angeles Panthers has been their depth, both in prospects and on defense. The last few seasons saw Los Angeles with a light few draft classes, and they only have 4 players in the organization from S51 to S55. they've started to fix this with a deep draft class this past offseason and a few trades to acquire future first round picks, but those picks came at a price. Once a noted strength of the roster, Los Angeles's defense has been torn up in the offseason transition, leaving them with just two defensemen that can be trusted with minutes at an SHL level. This is fixable in free agency and with some incoming prospects, but it's a clear weakness when compared to the forwards who sport three of the league's blossoming stars in Wagner, Lee, and Atreides, as well as two star veterans in Phillip Winter and Michael Fox.

158 words

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2020, 03:34 AM by Dextaria.)

A current weak spot for the Toronto North Stars is on defense. The team is currently rostering a sub-300 TPE defenseman and as trying really hard to improve their defensive core. Thankfully 3 of the 6 spots are currently filled by the likes of Delver Fudgeson, Ursin Zimmermann, and Axel Meszaros. The 4th spot is going to be for Ryosuke Sato who is coming up next season to help improve the North Stars defensive core that is a little weak this season. Hopefully Sato will be the much needed boost on the D-line in front of their star goaltender Harry Carpet. This will fill 4 of 6 spots with the other 2 tentatively reserved for Luffy Richard who is looking at being played as a D when he reaches the SHL, and the enforcer prospect Juni Panda. And so, the North Stars' defensive core which looks weak as of now, will hopefully be rejunivated within 2 seasons to help the Toronto North Stars compete once again for the Challenge Cup.

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

I think that my SMJHL team the Nevada Battleborn is doing quite well and that it would take more effort than I care to do at the moment to find weaknesses, so I will go with my SHL team the Toronto North Stars instead. I love the team, don't get me wrong, and I'm a big fan of the way that the entire team has handled adversity in the short time that I've been there. I think that the main thing that the team can do to improve would be to take a few more chances in the trade market. We're in a rebuild in what I hear to be the best conference in the SHL, so I understand not wanting to give up too much. But I feel like going out and throwing a couple of high picks out to get a good group of top players would be good for the morale of the team in the long run.
(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 10:20 AM by Faelax.)

My juniors team in Quebec City has all the pieces you would need to be successful, and were projected to be one of the better teams in the league after a strong inaugural season. However, things have been a little rough to start out, with the Citadelles sitting at a 4-7-2 record at the time of this writing. They have a positive goal differential despite this losing record, so the pieces are there to do well. One area they need work in is their coaching. They have all this talent, but keep losing by one goal, and it's super frustrating to watch. It leads me to think that the coach either needs to really step up his game, or get replaced. There is no reason for this team to be doing as poorly as they are, the coach needs to work on his systems and get the team going, or pack his bags and get out.

[Image: Faelax.gif]
[Image: aroach.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png]    [Image: DNLeeu0.png]

Well, we have so many SHL teams it's quite difficult to make a change for a team you aren't currently on. For me? Well I'm on the Hamilton Steelhawks. The evil empire in the SHL over the past decade or so. I think the biggest issue in Hamilton is the locker room. Many have raised this issue, some even calling it overwhelming, and speaking on how often they are talking to people not on their team, even being friendly from time to time. This is not ok. Fraternizing with the enemy is not how I grew up playing hockey. Hockey is played by getting down and dirty, back skating, forechecking, pucks on net, cycle the puck. None of this buddy buddy stuff. The steelhawks need to focus on winning games and taking names, not clowning around in the locker room. That is what they need to do, and I will make sure it happens.

[Image: rotti.gif]

(This post was last modified: 10-05-2020, 02:06 PM by JamesT.)

Code:
Written option: 150+ words, describe a weak spot of a current SHL or SMJHL team and how you would address it. It can be part of the roster, managerial decisions, the branding, the location, etc. - just don't take personal shots at anyone. What would be your strategy to deal with this weakness and improve the roster/franchise?

A SHL team that has many weak spots would be the San Francisco  pride Their roster is lacking in the forward department and on their blue line. Their punishment from last season is taking its toll this season and many expect them to finish dead last in the entire league. Their bright spot is their goaltending with two goalies over 1000 TPE. 

San Francisco in my opinion should look to rebuild through the drafts for a few season and look to get a bunch of promising prospects who can hopefully be great SHL players in the future. In the current state of the SHL there are many loaded teams with immense talent on their roster, so the Pride should not look to be competing until they can get a good core of players on their team. 

They should also be sure to check that their backup goalie starts the minimum requirement to avoid another penalty. Things may look bad now, but if San Francisco can gather a good foundation of core players, then they will have a bright future. 

179 words

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

Now I know this PT says no personal shots, but if I am to correctly address the single most pressing issue in the Hamilton Steelhawks roste, I have no choice but to single out but one man: Gabriel Johnson. Let's start with the on-ice issues.

Johnson is well-known for being a sort of "winger playing defense" for the Steelhawks. He is known to not be reliable at all in his own end of the ice, despite being now considered the most high-end defenseman on the team. As someone trusted to be a leader on the ice for Hamilton, he focuses purely on getting himself points and consistently leaves his defensive linemate out to dry. Samuel Michaud, who has played with Johnson for several seasons in the past, had growing frustrations over having to cover for Johnson, and has repeatedly considered asking for a trade due to the torment it put him through. You get rid of Johnson, you get rid of a major problem the team faces.

(167 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

ok

hamilton has many problems. It sucks shit if im being honest, but luckily the solution is really quite simple. There's a certain individual in the steelhawks locker room who contributes nothing but toxicity and vile takes. His name? @JSS. Of course, Gabe also spews stupid things but jss is uglier and therefore i will write this pt about him.

Whether its him @ing everyone and framing me for it, or him @ing all the rats, or him saying that

actually nevermind im not gonna repeat that here

but anyhow

you remove JSS from the hamilton locker room, the culture, the energy, the team spirit of the steelhawks would improve immensely. All this at the mere cost of some bum ass player is an ez pz deal. And I'd never ping anyone again. That last bit is a lie but i need to hit the word count. JSS, if ur reading this, u r ugly

[Image: sig-e-e-geck-atl.png]

e

Edmonton is a franchise which has been mired in success for most of it's history. They came out of next season looking to have a deep roster, hopefully icing 3 rookie skaters with their entire D-core returning. Unfortunately, with Brady McIntyre and Tor Tuck opting for free agency they ended up in a spot where their defensive depth is called into question. Scholz, Toner, Finn-Rhys, and Tanner are all good to great defencemen with 1000+ TPE, however Wolfe and Zhernov, two IA's sitting on the bottom pairing, are both sitting below 500 TPE. The path to fixing this is fairly straightforward--Axel Foley. It's somewhat awkward to proclaim myself the cure, however the current Edmonton d-core is being overworked due to an unreliable bottom pairing that accounts for 10 out of 60 minutes spent on the ice. Currently with Carolina in the J, Edmonton's bottom pairing could improve greatly with Foley stepping into the ring. At 600+ TPE currently, there is a chance he could end up reaching 800 prior to the start of next season. That would bring more dependability to the bottom of the lineup to munch minutes, potentially allowing more offensive minds to rest during the penalty kill and have more energy for, well, offense. Along with this the free agent market needs to be a focus. Everyone knows that there is a lack of defencemen to fill out the bottom of lineups, so getting the 500-600 IA's signed, or even attempting a reunion with some d-men who left in the close past, would improve the bottom pairing drastically.

[Image: mazatt.gif]

[Image: KhdDH3Q.png] [Image: q4PM2XX.png]

Something I've noticed about the Texas Renegades this season is we really need to be able to fix how often we get the puck in the net. Despite having some really dangerous players on offense, I really don't think we're scoring enough goals which is letting teams off the hook and playing us out of close games. We've had a hard opening run and currently sport a 6-7 record, but I think we're a lot better than this and especially given the amount of times we've gotten the puck to the net, the goals really should be coming a lot more often than they currently are. We've been shutout multiple times, and according to the standings we're scoring 2.23 goals per game at present, simply not enough to compete with the league's best. Hopefully the team can spend some time focusing on getting the puck past the goalie during the season so this worrying trend doesn't go on much longer. Either an increased focus on coaching in this area, or the addition of a proven goalscorer through a trade might be the type of move the team needs to get things going and help us win a few more games.

Code:
200 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

I think there is not a lot to be fixed at Quebec City Citadelles right now. Team basically just need one more season, so all S56 rookies, that is 13 players in total, can cap at 425 TPE. Right now six S56 rookies already reached or surpassed 350 TPE, two players are getting really close to that milestone, while five players are sitting somewhere between 210 and 290 TPE.
Team also have 4 S57 rookies and they are gaining TPE nicely, tree of them are already very close to 200 TPE, while teams best S57 rookie managed to collect 214 TPE.
Out of five older players one is inactive (155 TPE), two are between 380 and 405 TPE and only two active players are already at 425 TPE. That is quite a handicap for Citadelles, but here in Quebec we were all aware of this since this is newly established team and are really looking forward into future. So no big changes but only good training/TPE collecting thru this season should put Quebec very high in next season.

[Image: Zyhl0FL.png]

Looks like the Winnipeg Jets re-brand is finally on the way so i don't need to get into that one again... It's kinda hard to take a look at other franchises and try to fix anything that has to do with their roster or managerial decisions however, as you mentioned it can easily be seen as offensive or talking down to people and often times as an outsider you aren't even aware of the internal factors that led to the decision and situations that we are faced with today. Therefore I wanna refrain from giving to specific roster advice and focus more on franchise identities, locations etc.

As I said, Winnipeg should be moved and/or rebranded but it seems like this is in the works already and Calgary could definitely use a new logo. The one team where a change of identity might be warranted the most however is the San Francisco Pride. Their current identity and location actually aren't bad, they have a pretty unique color scheme and logo with an actual story behind it and many people have expressed that they like those aspects quite a bit. However at this point, this team and its current identity are just too associated with failure and bad luck. Many bad things have happened to the Pride in recent years, sometimes self-afflicted, sometimes not, and even when things started to look up for them a few years back they still managed to fall apart again and remain a largely uncompetitive squad with an aura of failure surrounding them. As I said before their team brand actually isn't bad but at this point, a change is needed to get them out of the gutter and signal a fresh start and a relocation/rebrand could help in establishing just that.