Create Account

Luffy Richard: A Season in Review

(1228 words)

Hello there, Whaler Faithful. The Regular season has ended, and the first round of the playoffs are well underway. Season fifty-six saw the Vancouver Whalers have a historic season that had them in the upper echelons in terms of team success. After three seasons in the basement of the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League, though late success last season showed the capabilities of the players in the Vancouver Locker room. This was also a watershed season for Luffy Richard who was perhaps the most successful player on the fourth line. With his punishing two-way play, Luffy Richard accumulated twenty-eight points (thirteen goals and fifteen assists) while playing a little over fourteen minutes a game. He also spent two minutes and fifteen seconds of that ice time on the penalty kill, which was only behind Ryosuke Sato for the Vancouver Whalers. While on the penalty kill, Luffy Richard, Slimey Snail, and Dee Centerman IV each had two short-handed points which made them one of the most dangerous players short-handed. Luffy Richard's seventy-two hits were good for fifth-most amongst Whalers, and second behind Dee Centerman IV amongst forwards. He was also top five in shots blocked, and first amongst forwards on the Whalers with forty-nine. 

Here, it is easy to see that Luffy Richard maintained his defensive strength, a strength that had him win best two-way forward in the team awards last season. With better offensive stats than last season, especially with a much-improved plus-minus, he looks to be in the running for that award again. I know he would like to get some hardware in his last season in the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League, but he spent so much time playing catch-up to his draft class that he might have to go home empty-handed. Though he has been talking to anyone who would listen--me--that he should be in the running for best defensive forward or most improved player. I just wish we could discuss these things when I wasn't taking my bath. 

As previously touched upon, Luffy Richard improved his defensive numbers a great deal this season. This has to do with the fact that he is a much-improved player, and the Vancouver Whalers are a much-improved team. His offense helped anchor a potent fourth line that played like they were first liners. Luffy Richard helped wear opposing teams down so that the pure goal scorers could reap a bloody harvest that left the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League in shambles. It was as if the frustration of the last three seasons was distilled into a rapturous hockey focus so deadly it could cut a wound into the very fabric of existence. And no, that is not dramatic. One game we actually had to play three times and see behind the Wizard of Franchise Hockey Manager's curtain to the reality that is....well you're reading this so you know what this is. You see it with your eyes. EyeSSSseS.      

Any ways, here is the important stats for Luffy Richard in a terribly aligned little graphic type non-graph.

GP G   A   P +/-   PIM  SHG SHA SHP SOG SH%   Hits GvA TkA  SB  TOI    SHTOI

50 13 15 28 13     24   1      1      2    89 14.61%  72   18   17   49  14:10  2:15

I sat down with Luffy Richard, after my bath, and we had ourselves a chat about this season.

"This could have been a bittersweet season for those of us moving up next season. I know last season was a hard one for William Hartmann because we finally started to turn it around, swept that first round against the Scarecrows, and then got swept ourselves. Some of us, mostly me, matured too late see Harty get that cup he so craved, so going into this season, there were high expectations for those of us in our last season with the Whalers. Vancouver has been a great place to grow as a player, and it's amazing how far I've advanced, especially since it seemed like I was going to be a dead-end anchor around the neck of this club. We have suffered a lot of losses in the past three seasons, and we weren't going to accept that anymore. We worked hard this off-season and we came together as a group. I think I can say this all with confidence now since we had such a big season, sitting atop the league, and never taking a step back. I believed this all at the beginning of the season, and thankfully I've been proven right. Ryosuke Sato and I have worked hard to ensure that we carried a winning mentality, not one of revenge. Sure, there was frustration, but we wanted to win because of our hard work and effort, not out of spite. That takes an emotional toll on you as a player. With every loss, we've learned something. Every team, every player past, and present that we've faced has taught us a lesson. They were the whetstones we sharpened ourselves against.  Sato is the guy I'm closest to on the team, and next season we will be playing in Toronto with the North Stars, but before we leave the J behind I want us to win the Four-Star Cup. We have come this far, but all the struggle--all our blood and sweat--won't mean a thing until we raise another banner in Vancouver. The management put a lot of faith in me this season. I'm an older player who could be responsible with the puck and put pressure on opposing players. Last season I made a bigger splash point wise, but this time I wanted them to see that they could match me with top lines, and that I could grind them into the dust. I wanted them to see that I could feast on other bottom lines. I wanted to be part of a line that they could throw on the ice without thinking and we would thrive in any situation. I think I helped with that. Now is the time to show I can do that when it matters the most. I'm ready for these playoffs. I know my team is ready. I know we still have a long way to go, and nothing is assured, so I am going to play balls-to-the-wall hockey every time I step on the ice. If the rest of the league wants the Cup, they're going to have to claw their way through me, and stop guys like Niki and Jason. Let's go boys."

Those were some stirring, and somewhat coherent words from my roommate, who has been pacing through the apartment like a caged jaguar this entire week. He has been training hard, and annoying the shit out of me. I hope he can use that energy to annoy opposing teams and put smiles on his teammates' faces. This is truly the most exciting time of the year, and I can't wait for this first round to end so we can see the energy of the Vancouver Whalers on the ice again.

History has its eyes on us all.

Until next time,

Kay Bee,

out.

[Image: WzzhGnr.png][Image: image0.jpg]

[Image: image0.png][Image: UMRTITC.gif]

Sato & the Luffster StarsWhalers

[Image: Dextaria.gif]

[Image: Niz2wua.png]  [Image: iB9r7kM.png]  [Image: 6by0kBi.png]
Thanks to @DELIRIVM, @Moreorless89 and @ValorX77 for the sigs!

Whalers

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

10-28-2020, 10:35 PMDextaria Wrote: Sato & the Luffster StarsWhalers
We got this  Cheers

10-28-2020, 11:38 PMArkz Wrote: Whalers
Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers Whalers