Create Account

SMJHL Teams – Where Does Sivart Go?
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2020, 10:45 PM by Sivart.)

Welcome to my not-so-serious, entirely fun double draft media article on my first impressions of SMJHL teams and where I think I could end up. I like this type of article, since it offers a fresh look at what we end up just becoming accustomed to after a couple of seasons. While this is not an original concept by any means, I’ve never written one of these before and am excited to dig into each team.  I am a fresh face here with no prejudices or blind loyalties. This also means I am completely ignorant of what I am talking about for a lot of this.

In the following paragraphs, I will be rating each SMJHL team based on five categories: 1. City Location, 2. Team Name, 3. Branding, 4. Team Needs, 5. Overall Impression:

For 1, Location – Cities that I know and enjoy, or want to visit, will get a big boost. Livability, including amenities, will also play into this rating. While I’ll tend to lean towards larger centres, there is a certain something about small market teams that could be appealing. Obviously, this means pretty much nothing in a sim league, so should have very little attention paid to it.

On 2, Name – a team name is very subjective. In general, teams embodied by fierce animals, weather phenomena or connections to something of historic significance is preferred. While alliteration will always get extra points, it is not a requirement by any means. While it does not mean much in terms of team performance, I still think name matters more than the city. A team name can inspire and/or strike fear and this category should be taking slightly more seriously.

3, Branding - More specifically colours, logo, and typeface. This is where things start to get more serious. People take this kind of thing more to heart than the city or even the name, and I get it; A bad city or name can be redeemed with the right logo. Likewise, the best city and team name combo can be absolutely ruined by the poor branding. There is usually a lot of effort and time put into this part of a team, and after browsing each team’s info page, I can see a ton of work in every team’s logo and jersey kits. For this reason, this is the most important rating attribute yet.

4, Need – Ok, for real, this is the most important part when looking at teams, is what do they actually need when drafting a player. The fact is, every team needs a high earning active with tons of potential. That aside, I’m looking at teams who are in a spot to draft a defenceman high. I’ve since learned any skater can play any position after I did most of this article, so lets just ignore if that is relevant for now. Since this is most likely to be the most impactful reasons (of the ones I’ve defined here) for me getting drafted on a team, it’s now the most important thing to look at here.

5, Impressions - Overall Impression is separate than just an aggregate of the above 4 factors. It is a measure of the teams themselves- history, competitiveness, where they are in rebuilding cycle, the people on them, and the scouting I’ve received so far. Naturally, I’d like to be on a competitive team to win a championship but would happily be part of a growing team if it gave a shot a championship down the road. This finishes off the five categories with a medium importance that should not be taken too seriously as I do not really know what I am talking about here.

All SMJHL teams will be listed following in alphabetical order. Each of the above variables will be scored out of 10:

Anaheim Outlaws
[Image: NVvRNid.png]
City: 4 | Name: 7 | Branding: 5 | Need: 2 | Impression: 7

Outlaws is a great name for a hockey team - It has all the feels of a hardnose scrappy team that would definitely get the fans going. However, a bunny does not remind me of an outlaw. Give me a Wile E. Coyote or just a regular old human version bandit. The red is listed as a dark brick (#820C00), however it appears the majority of their logo (especially the fedora) is a lighter variation. It is a generally very well put together logo, with crisp lines and a clean look, except the arm floating in there with hockey stick (that looks really good, coming out of the back of his neck there). While I have never been to California before, I just have absolutely zero interest in SoCal – sorry to all my friends down there. Nothing to base this on other than I am not a huge fan of really warm climates. The redeeming factor is the Disney World/land (idk) and megatropolis it is amalgamated into.  Unfortunately, this team seems to be stacked at the defensive position with the most defenders, with 10, averaging 405 TPE across them. There does not appear to be much room for a young defensive player to break in here. They were able to finish with a respectable 27-18-5 record this past season and the most goals for in the juniors, highlighting their offensive prowess.

Anchorage Armada
[Image: cOdA222.png]
City: 9 | Name: 7 | Branding: 9 | Need: 3 | Impression: 8

I think I would love Alaska – mountains, ocean, forest, crisp air. Not to mention great places to see and adventure. Armada receives points for 1. Alliteration 2. Seafaring reference 3. Menacing. It only looses points for not really referencing any Alaskan aspects like Aleutians, Adventurers, Alpines, or something else (idk, I have never been to Alaska). As a member of the New York Voyagers in the PBE, I am really digging the nautical theme. Love the colour scheme and jerseys as well. Only hit on the branding score is the blue on the secondary logo needs to match the dark blue on their main logo. By TPE alone, this appears to be one of the most dominant defensive cores in the juniors. These 7 defenders combine for over 4000 TPE and average just shy of 600 each. With such high TPE, there is a possibility they will be called up to the SHL soon, opening up room for a new young star. They finished up this past season with a 29-17-4 record, good for 3rd in the juniors.

Carolina Kraken
[Image: CarolinaKraken.png]
City: 6 | Name: 8 | Branding: 10 | Need: 8 | Impression: 8

I will just assume this team was here before Seattle… lol of course it was, every team was. It is a solid name, and even works to a degree for the Carolinas. This is my favourite branding in the SMJHL – from the typeface to colouring to ominous logo that extends to the lettering on the jersey. Orange is always a good colour to use to get away from the traditional blue and red teams too. As a destination to settle down and raise a family, for some reason Charlotte does not come up high on the list. They currently have a full slate of 6 defenders, but as most teams are carrying 7 or 8, they can use a couple more strong bodies at the blueline. Leading the east this past season with a 31-17-2 record, this looks to be a competitive team.

Colorado Raptors
[Image: YpFgQPQ.png]
City: 8 | Name: 5 | Branding: 4 | Need: 6 | Impression: 7

Would love to live in the Rockies. Skiing, mountains, weed, and way more reasons that I forget for some reason now. When I think of Colorado, while sure there are dinosaur fossils, I just don’t think of raptors. But I’d assume it’s the “Snakes” or “Vipers” from the logo. The color scheme blinds their opponents into submission. With that triangle and typeface, it reminds me of something from the early 90’s. I’m also not a huge fan of the three tones of blue here. I see they used to be called the mammoths, which is way cooler in my opinion- but don’t know the history here. Colorado looks to be in a relatively good position here in terms of their roster, but sporting 5 goalies currently, they will be looking at skaters. Depending on the players that are scheduled to get called up might be the deciding factor here on who they target. Finishing the season at .500, this team has room to grow in the coming seasons.

Detroit Falcons
[Image: rsz_1image2.png]
City: 8 | Name: 7 | Branding: 8 | Need: 8 | Impression: 7

Unlike the bad rep this city gets, I have had a good time every time I visited the motor city. While I find a falcon a lazier choice of namesake, the outlaws can look to this logo for a pleasant on the eyes two-tone red. I like the sharp edges of this logo. Simple, strong, albeit a little boring beside other logos in the league. While Detroit has a full slate of defenders, the average TPE per defender is the lowest in the juniors at 266 TPE. I’m not looking at activity in this particular article (stay tuned), but unless they have a lot of growth in these players it could be very worthwhile to look at additional talent for their back end. Detroit finished at the bottom of the juniors with a 13-34-3 record and could use always use an influx of new talent to help with the rebuilding process.

Kelowna Knights
[Image: KEL-cut.png]
City: 10 | Name: 8 | Branding: 6 | Need: 4 | Impression: 9

If I had a nickel every time I’ve looked at real estate in Kelowna only to be bummed out by prices, I’d have like 25 cents. But seriously, what a killer location. Knights are a good name and get extra point for the double K with Kelowna but avoiding alliteration. It also doubles as ‘nights’ which has all sorts of potential. Branding is strong, with a good-looking logo - except it’s strikingly similar to that of the London Knights. Nothing wrong with that, just more noticeable than anything. I didn’t suspect Kelowna to be drafting a defenceman in the early rounds as one of the weaker forward groups in the juniors and a relatively solid defensive core. However, I have since learned D can play forward, and all my preconceptions are out the window. This team bottomed out the west with a 17-29-4 record but are in the early stages of a rebuild that would be fun to grow with. Naosu was the first GM to reach out to me which gets extra points. I was picked up by them as a UDFA and enjoyed watching their playoff run with them.

Maine Timber
[Image: MaineTimberLogo4.png]
City: 7 | Name: 6 | Branding: 9 | Need: 7 | Impression: 7

Meh location, meh name. Neither really inspire me. The access to clam chowder and lobster rolls helps improve the stock of the location slightly. Their branding on the other hand is great- the strong lumberjack logo and colour scheme is bold. It is not every day you seen a team rocking brown jerseys. It is a gutsy choice that I think worked really well for this team. Can someone explain to me why their abbreviation is MET?? (ok I’ve asked- it’s valid, “ME” is the state abbreviation for Maine and “T” is for timbers. I guess it just threw me for a loop). While they have a very solid defensive side, their forward core is even fuller of great performers. With my limited knowledge, I’d assume they will likely be looking at a goalie followed by a couple defenders depending who gets called up. The timber squeaked out a winning season with 23-21-6 record and will look to build on this performance next season. Krash seems like a good guy - I hope you enjoyed the first of two double draft media pieces.

Nevada Battleborn
[Image: NevadaBattleBornFinalPrimary.png] 
City: 8 | Name: 3  | Branding: 9 | Need: 5 | Impression: 7

Not a fan of ‘battleborn’ as a team name. Sorry to those that spent time to pick it. Luckily, the strong branding along with an absolutely killer typeface on their alternate jersey saves this team. This employs excellent colour scheme that I have worked with in 2 organizations - not to mention my minor hockey team. While I would assume, before looking at draft picks, they will likely add another defender or two in this draft, however, I have since learned they don’t have any picks! We will see if they opt to trade into this very competitive draft class.

Newfoundland Berserkers
[Image: Berserkers_logo_1.png]
City: 8 | Name: 10 | Branding: 5 | Need: 6 | Impression: 8

What an absolutely incredible sounding team name. Hands down my favourite in the SMJHL. Too bad the logo and colours are meh. But those jerseys with those blood dripping sleeves are down right terrifying. I think that you must get a +2 buff to fighting stats while wearing those jerseys. I love visiting the east coast of Canada, great food and better people (idk, Maine is probably about the same, just have never been). It can also get a little depressing with rain and lacks a bunch of services a pampered Ontario boy like myself enjoys. This team’s roster is fairly full of top competing players, particularly their offensive core that ranks 2nd only to Anchorage for TPE per forward. Couple this with a good goaltending and defensive groups, I suspect they will just be picking up the best player available with their picks. Depending who is getting called up first will sway their pick as well. Their 28-17-5 record speaks for itself as they fought their way to a finals appearance this off season. I got to chat with Sopath briefly and it sounds like a great group to be a part of.

Quebec City Citadelles
[Image: Toc33un.png]
City: 7 | Name: 9 | Branding: 8 | Need: 7 | Impression: 9

At first I didn’t know if I loved or feared the snowy owl with bright colours.  Then I came to absolutely love it. The pink is a bold choice, but I believe this logo embodies Quebec. The shading is also incredible. I’ve only been to Quebec City once and it was a great city full of history and culture – I would just hate to need to go between the upper and lower city on a daily basis, especially in the winter. That aside, I’d be tempted by sugar shacks which will likely slow down my training a little! Citadelles is very fitting for the city that features Le Citadelle de Quebec along the shores of the St. Lawrence. Although their roster consists of 9 defenders, they rank 2nd lowest for TPE per defender after Detroit. With the most forwards in the juniors I’d expect this team to be looking closer at defenders in the upcoming draft. However with the largest junior roster of 26 skaters it will be interesting to see if anyone is graduating, and where they can slot new draftees in. Another .500 team this season, they will be looking to grow next year. After chatting with Hordle, I was only more impressed by this team.

St. Louis Scarecrows
[Image: St_Louis.png]
City: 8 | Name: 5 | Branding: 7 | Need: 6 | Impression: 9

It was just Halloween and all, but as a hockey team I just don’t get it. It is definitely a unique name that stands out especially with an orthodox, but effective colour scheme of, well, the German flag. I want to visit St. Louis bad. Have always heard great things about the city. This team will likely be looking for forwards first in the upcoming draft, but could also use improvement at the back end aswell. Their 323 TPE per defenceman is 3rd lowest in the league but is currently sporting 8 d-men and only have 13 forwards. Similar to Detroit and Kelowna, this is another rebuilding team with a 18-29-3 record. Buck Dancer/rum_ham reached out and was great to talk with.

Vancouver Whalers
[Image: Eoj5m74.png]
City: 9 | Name: 7  | Branding: 6 | Need: 3 | Impression: 8

Easy there Canucks brand stealing the Hartford name. But honestly, it’s a clean great looking logo that boarders to close to an MLS logo for my liking. Again, really well put together, but expecting a hidden ‘FC’ somewhere in there. If it wasn’t so darned expensive, Vancouver would be great to live – minutes from the ocean and within an hour of some of the best skiing destinations in North America. Gorgeous mountains, great food scene – I’m in! This team isn’t lacking when it comes to their roster. 2nd for average TPE per Defence across 7 defenders, 3rd for TPE per forwards across a full 16 attackers, and 2nd for average TPE per goaltender. Similar to Newfoundland, they will likely base their picks on whose available at the time and who’s getting called up. Finishing at the top of the juniors with a decisive 39-11-0 record, they led the junior league in goals against. This team’s window to win is open. Boom was more than kind and we will see if they are interested in the end!

---

With the draft this weekend, I am really excited to see where (and when) I go! From my interactions with various teams, there really isn’t any team I don’t want to be on yet. Tell me I’m wrong in the replies (or fuck Detroit), but I don’t have any awful feelings about anyone yet. It is almost impossible to tell which team will take me – I think it will come down to who is picked first, and what team wants to take a chance on solid first-gen create. With Rookie tasks nearly complete and these articles I should have enough cash in my account (with tweetering) to afford the best training this season.

To all my fellow S58 SMJHL prospects, this is an insane class of recreates and good first gen-talent (shout-out to all my PBE people). No matter where we are taken in the first few rounds, I think this will be a storied class in years to come. Best of luck to the GMs that will have to decide who to take and when. I think you’ll have a solid couple of rounds here, but you’ll have your work cut out for you deciding.

Stay tuned for my scouting of the class article, to be released soon.

Code:
3082 words. draft media

[Image: regsivart.gif]
[Image: SyiOY8U.png] [Image: rwqM7d3.png]

Falcons Falcons Falcons

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=663a63f4&is=66391274&hm=70...8f89c3f46&]

I have never eaten a whale.

wholesome sivart chungus

You are wrong. You want to be on Vancouver and nowhere else.

Class S55
Reincarnated- Class S71

[Image: x17WALp.png][Image: uNh8ZtE.png]