Create Account

From Texas to Montreal before i knew it

Not that long ago I was the future of the Texas Renegades. An up and comer ready to make his mark in the Texas crease. Right through my Vancouver tenure all I could see and read was how I would be the Next big thing since my mentor, Walter Hobbs.

Since then I have given my all to Texas. Held the crease as best I could through the rebuild seasons and through the soon to be contender seasons. I saw the rise of Texas from the blue paint. It was my birthright to be Texas # 1 goalie. Until one fateful day, The SHL head office decided to have half a backups salary count against the cap.

“ We found another Goalie we want to bring into the fold but we want to be upfront with you and let you know what the plans are going forward” is what GM pool told me. “ we want to run a 1 A / 1 B goalie tandem and you would be the 1 B.”

I won’t lie, It hit me like an Audi doing 150 into a brick wall. I went along with it but only because I really wanted to be a team player. I put a lot of time and energy into this Texas team and wanted to be there to see them succeed with me as part of the team.

Killian came in a few days before training camp started and we were both in the GMs office. I remember thinking about his name KILLian. His name has the word KILL in it. I knew I was in trouble right then and there. We hit the ice. Few days later and it was a definite fight for the starters job. Alas I lost out to the “ guy they brought in”.

We went this route for a few seasons where Killian and I made a formidable duo. That season I help Texas get by our first round with dominance, before we ran into a hot Hamilton team that beat us in 7 and went on to win it all. Killian took over in that series when we fell behind 3-1 only to carry us to game 7.

Then came this season. Again I was #1 B. Not the place I wanted to be but I understood. Again we made a dynamic duo. A solid 1 - 2 punch in net. We were the two-headed Renegade Dragon. This time however, I was relegated to the bench for the whole playoff run. Killian carried us right to a cup. I was happy that we were champs but felt utterly useless in our climb to the top of the mountain.

The offseason came and I decided to do what we always did. I returned to Italy with my family to visit relatives. This time I was a champion, tho my stories of vanquishing our enemies were those that I watched happen from the bench. I did ponder my future and decided one more go would be all I had left. I was a starter who was relegated to the bench. I would fight to regain my place or walk away if I failed.

I remember the expansion draft on T.V. I sat with my wife and watched it all unfold and once Montreal got up and announced “ From the Texas Renegades, Montreal selects White Goodman!” , My jaw hit the floor. Could this actually be happening. I would not be returning to Texas!?

I got a phone call from the New GM. Dank made it clear that I was to return to # 1 status with Montreal which I was excited about but still, The thought of not going back to Texas. The following days was all about planning a move from Texas north, across the border, to Canada.

A few days passed before news that Texas gave Montreal a first round pick to select me off their roster. I was totally blown away. I called my buddy Kata who plays in Calgary. our conversationlasted a few hours and he helped me come to terms with it all. I realised i would be a starter again and that was something i could take to prove Texas wrong. He laso told me fans in Montreal deserved an elite goalie and i could be that. Still i wondered, could I have been hated so much that they would give a first round pick to have a team take me away? It was more than I could handle. The few positives was that Karlo was coming with me from Texas, and I was going to be a starter again.

Our first team meeting was something different. Able Skinner did a lot of talking and man was he lit! “ Anyone else here angry that our teams threw us away!!!, We are NOT past our prime, We are NOT worthless and we WILL make them pay!!!” Well, This was a first for me, but I fully understood how he felt. It wasn’t long before on ice training got highly intense. It was furious on the ice and it seemed like everyone had something to prove. About 4 days into training camp, Sharp walked in with his gear. We had something special on the team. Someone who could help make us a little more dangerous. I won’t lie. Stopping Sharp when I was in Texas and he was in Buffalo was tough, but having him day in and day out just pissed me off.

Finally tho we started looking like a team. Obviously the S60 season has yet to start but if anything is to be said so far. Don’t bank against Montreal. We won’t be walked over, we won’t be mocked and we will come to work every night. You better be ready. We not win a cup this season, but we will make you day a living nightmare. We are the Montreal Patriotes. We are the expansion team North, we are also what you will fear and before you know it, we'll be threatening for that cup.

[Image: 54855_s.gif]

Knights ||  Patriotes

Whalers|| Renegades ||  Patriotes ||  Finland

Renegades ||Militia ||Canada  

[Image: jearim.gif]

It was a pleasure Jay, glad we could get that cup together.

All the best this season!

Cheers

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

I’m glad you get a chance to prove the doubters wrong. I’m not one of those doubters, for the record. Good luck in Montreal my friend. Thanks for bringing me to Texas.

Renegades  raiders  Finland

Can't wait to see what Goodman can do with a team that he can claim the starter job for good with

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Reading this made me sad so guess it does its job. Hope all best for you and Montreal in future.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me