Create Account

S63 SMJHL PT#3 - Rivalry week

Which team is your team's biggest rival in the league and why? This could be due to recent history, old history, medium history, personal beef, branding antagonism, passing on you in the draft, etc. - whatever the reason, which team in the league would you consider to be the biggest rival of your team?
Written option:150 words on the above
Graphic option: Make a Rivalry Week promo graphic highlighting the two teams squaring off

Reward
3 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the things, not both.)

Only S63 SMJHL Rookies (S64 SHL Draftees) are eligible for this PT.
Link PBE, WSBL or NSFL submissions here to get credit for affiliate claims.

Do not claim this TPE until a post is made in the claim thread.
Deadline: Sunday, January 30th @ 11:59pm EST

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

NSFL Affiliate PT

As someone who hasn't been in the SMJHL for a long time, I haven't really had the chance to build up any fresh rivalries recently (nor am I particularly eager to do so). The one team that we did had a pretty significant rivalry with back when I last was with the Raptors were the St. Louis Scarecrows, who both due to their off-ice conduct and the on-ice rivalry rubbed quite a few of us the wrong way. This made it even more ironic that a lot of us SMJHL "vets" would eventually end up in St. Louis, as the Raptors decided to enter a rebuild eventually and shipped us off to the highest bidder, which in some cases including mine were the Scarecrows. To make the situation even more bizarre, despite entering a rebuild Colorado went on a Cinderella run in the playoffs and the two teams would actually meet in the finals so a lot of us were forced to face off against our old team and the place where our hearts still were, making it a very bittersweet moment when we eventually won the series and therefore the Four Star Cup as members of the Scarecrows.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

The biggest rival to the undrafted, unclaimed player (at the time of writing) is the monotony of life itself. It is a beast that can never be truly defeated. How can you even begin to prepare or fathom it's weaknesses and strengths? Staring at your phone all day waiting for it to ring. Hoping that someone out there is desperate enough to need you to plug the hole in their team. But alas, no such phone call comes, and your rival is once again staring you down, taunting you that your petrol game is weak, that your momma never loved really, and driving you deeper into self defeat.
Maybe one day Richard will be able to cast out those personal demons, but as his ass grows fat waiting for the day, it feels like time has the leg up on him. Without a ringing phone with an angel on the end, he is subjected to a world of pain. He is entering a world of pain.

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Within S63, I think the biggest rivalry that the Falcons have going is with the Regina Elks. The Elks have only been in the league since S61, but they've placed ahead of Detroit in the league standings for the past two seasons, and continue to build a lead in this season as well. We are a team right in the middle of a rebuild, and Regina is still getting their footing in the league - that feels like similar energy to me. There's no personal rivalries there as far as I'm aware. Detroit and Regina came together for a trade deal just short of the draft in the offseason, so the rivalry (if there is one) exists only on the ice and in the score sheet. I would not be surprised to see both teams advancing up the standings in the coming seasons, which will be great motivation to both teams. It may be one of those rare rivalries which are friendly and mutually beneficial. Only time will tell.

I'm a rookie on the team, but judging by all our biggest opponents is the St. Louis team. It's probably a historical story that these two teams, St. Louis and Detroit, particularly dislike each other. So it's happened that in the past both have been brilliant teams, good leaders. But now both teams are scrambling down the bottom of the table, which of course is pretty painful to me. Personally, I have no hatred for this team, and it's a pleasure to play against any opponent. But more from personal, I would say that my biggest duels on the ice are against teams represented by Latvian players, because the most I want is that these Latvians will not be able to be effective against me. In general, in junior hockey, any duel is exciting and serious, so it's already junior hockey and it's very interesting. But because of the task, I remain with my own, as St. Louis is for the team, but from my personal point of view, I have teams with Latvian hockey players.

Toms Zīle - young talanted latvian goalie

The biggest rival of the St. Louis Scarecrows by far has to be the Detroit Falcons. I asked around the team, and not many people knew much about the rivalry, because it dates back so far that no one in our organization goes back that far! As far as I could find in my digging, was that St. Louis and Detroit are some of the oldest teams, and have had a long line rivalry of playoff battles. The rivalry is not as pronounced as it is now, but all our players have a big get up when we are playing the Detroit Falcons. The playoffs against the Falcons used to be very popular among both teams, and even as a rookie, just my teammates getting so hyped over playing them, it isn't hard to be swept up in the commotion and join in on the hype. 

Falcons < Scarecrows

Jayden Cloutier - RD #4

St. Louis Scarecrows

S72 Best Season of All Time
[Image: S72_IIHF_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5898&is=6609e...height=662]      [Image: S72_4-STAR_CHAMPS.png?ex=661c5873&is=660...height=662]

Rivalries are the best part of hockey, aren't they? There's something about a game with a bitter rival that brings out the best from every player on the ice, and makes for the best games to watch. Historically, rivals tend to be teams that play each other regularly, especially in the playoffs, and that often means games within the same division (where the points matter that much more for regular season standings). Unfortunately, with the SMJHL shuffling divisions based on the previous season's seeding, we don't have a natural starting point for long-lasting rivalries, which makes each season the start of a potentially new story. 

This season, Quebec City was seeded in a four team division alongside Newfoundland, Anchorage and Anaheim. As last season's champion and the top team so far this season, Newfoundland is certainly the target of every team, but for a rebuilder like the Citadelles, they probably aren't the source of any strong enmity or competition. Over the course of S63, I expect our toughest and most important matchups will be with Anchorage and Anaheim, with those three teams vying for the two remaining playoff spots and trying to build their roster to compete for a cup in future seasons.

Let's go Owls!

[Image: RAmenAmen.gif]
sig credit: Ragnar, Sulovilen, Enigmatic, Bayley
[Image: kcP9WEd.png] [Image: DNLeeu0.png] [Image: DKMMlC3.png]
[Image: RAmenAmenPride.gif]

Recently I had a dream about a perfectly cooked ravioli. It was filled with a mixture of ground chicken, bacon bits, curds, and cheddar cheese and the individual ravioli was about 3 1/2 pounds. So, a non-traditional ravioli for sure. The dough was made from potatoes and it was served completely covered in gravy. I guess wolfing down a late night poutine before lapsing into a coma isn't the best strategy for long-term health. After coming to, I'm sure it wouldn't taste nearly as good in real life as I thought it did in the dream. Nevertheless, it has haunted every waking hour of mine over the last 10 days. Hopefully soon I can work up the courage to try making it for myself. Until then, I hope to have that dream again. Anyways, based on visuals alone I am absolutely sure that the mascot of the colorado raptors would never have the dexterity to make a ravioli, let alone the courage to make the giant ravioli of my dreams. So fuck that guy.

[Image: EsVSFns.png][Image: uzmDXiJ.png]
Sigs by @Carpy48 and @tweedledunn

As a long term member of the Newfoundland Berserkers lockerroom a team it seems like we've always managed to beef with are the Maine Timber. I'd be lying if I said I knew why this was the case, it just seems like every time we play it's a good matchup and we seem to play eachother when it matters most. As far as rivalries go as a whole though i'd say every team in the SMJHL is our rival purely based on the fact that we're the best and everyone hates us cuz they anus. When you're the best for so long everyone wants to say they're the ones to take you down and be responsible for doing so. Me personally, I don't have any qualms with one specific team, rather I just know as a team we hold ourselves to an overarching standard of expecting to be the best, which requires beating every team standing in our way to do so.

[Image: minadsslatt.png]

PBE PT

[Image: bgwUtVZ.png]

The biggest rival in my eyes at the moment for the Newfoundland Berserkers would have to be the Maine Timber. To start things off, we are conference rivals, we both sit in the top 3 in the league, and our regular season series is tied at 1-1. Newfoundland and Maine squared off at the beginning of the season with Maine winning 5-3. This boiled our blood a little as we wanted a flawless start to the season and of course stinky Maine had to beat us. We literally have a !chop command in our discord locker room directed at chopping down the Maine Timber. After this loss, we went on a 3 game win streak and then faced off against Maine again. This time we gave them a rude spanking in a 5-0 win on our home ice. This win would be part of our 12 game win streak, thanks for sucking at hockey Maine we appreciate it! The teams don’t like each other, the players don’t like each other, and I’m excited for our next two meetings this season when we can battle it out again.

Falcons              Scarecrows

The untold truth about the rivalry 

For as far back as the folks of the SHL can remember there has been embers burning, there used to be a fire between the Detroit Falcons and the St Louis Scarecrows. Embers that could easily reignite that same flame any day. A flame , not as in a flame of burning passion, but more along the lines of " HEY GUYS , LETS GO SET FIRE TO THE FALCONS LOCKER ROOM, MWAHAHAAA".  Why you ask ? was it the fact that every time a falcon flew by there was a Scarecrow mocking it, intimidating it in its path ? Falcons are afraid of Scarecrows ? maybe, or maybe they are not , and perhaps THAT is the reason the Scarecrows have a problem with the Falcons. 

Truth be told, after a little searching and reading up on the earlier seasons in the league it is said that the Detroit Falcons and St Louis Scarecrows met in the S30's and S40's often in the playoffs and more than once in the finals. So perhaps the rivalry began when each team was fighting to prove their worth in the league, fighting to make a name for themselves so of course the first team to get in their way of that was going to make trouble. 
THIS JUST IN, I have it on good authority that the General Manager of the St Louis Scarecrows was once a player for the Detroit Falcons for 3 whole seasons. I am willing to bet that after their OWN player decided to switch teams to their one and only rival in the entire league that there was going to be hell to pay. Did the new General Manager of the St Louis Scarecrows just receive a good offer and wanted to try something new ? OR perhaps all the while he played for the Detroit Falcons his plan was to destroy the team from the inside out. Get to know them a little better, their strengths , their weaknesses. He never felt he belonged there in the first place and once an opportunity came along to manage their one and only rivals team, he took it in a blaze of glory as his entire plan was finally coming together.

A conspiracy ? maybe, am I crazy ? maybe. But one thing I am dam sure about and I think we can all agree on is that the rivalry between the Detroit Falcons and the St Louis Scarecrows is as real as the bees knee's and the cats meow. If you ask me, it isn't going anywhere anytime soon. With any luck the St Louis Scarecrows will show the Detroit Falcons what is what once and for all ! Sorry did I mention I am the Goalie for the St Louis Scarecrows ? LETS GO CROWS . See you on the ice Falcons.

PBE
(This post was last modified: 01-25-2022, 06:12 PM by Trempale.)

ISFL affiliate

[Image: IMG_4351.jpg?width=507&height=676]