Create Account

Is the SHL in crisis or are people being overdramatic?

It feels like there are a lot of threads and Discord discussion at the moment were people talk about losing their passion for the SHL... Do you guys think think there is indeed a critical problem that threatens the leagues well-being or is it just a seasonal thing or people being overdramatic? And if you do see a severe problems, what would you say are the causes and possible solutions?

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard
Player Page - Update Page

[Image: winter-500.png]

I'd say it's people being a bit dramatic. We have some obvious problems, Head Office is well aware of them and we're already working on a variety of solutions.

Patience my friends.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

People like to complain about things they care about. But nobody is forcing anyone into doing anything here.

GMs who complain about GMing don't have to GM. 30% of the GMs figured it out.

Ham didn't break FHM, more than FHM is to blame and they were the lucky ones that the file likes.

J is too big, more than a few times have teams with a lot of high tpe IA players make it to the ploofs.

[Image: unknown.png]
[Image: wearingabear.gif]
render cred: @rum_ham, @Rangerjase @Ragnar @supertardis101 @Jogurtaa @Drokeep @evilallbran @Carpy48 @enigmatic
Player Page | Update Page
Armada  Forge  Finland

Lots of people have had their passion/interest evaporate, that's simply a fact. If you want to label those people as overdramatic, then by all means, but the feeling is more widespread than the leaders of the league are willing to acknowledge. This thread feels dismissive to the people who have lost interest in this league, but disguised as an invitation to "debate" the validity of their feelings.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

03-02-2022, 09:07 PMGrapehead Wrote: Lots of people have had their passion/interest evaporate, that's simply a fact. If you want to label those people as overdramatic, then by all means, but the feeling is more widespread than the leaders of the league are willing to acknowledge. This thread feels dismissive to the people who have lost interest in this league, but disguised as an invitation to "debate" the validity of their feelings.

I'm not sure why you think this thread is dismissive, when I fall on the "crisis" side of this argument and have been ringing the alarm bells on things like parity for years now?

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

03-02-2022, 09:10 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote:
03-02-2022, 09:07 PMGrapehead Wrote: Lots of people have had their passion/interest evaporate, that's simply a fact. If you want to label those people as overdramatic, then by all means, but the feeling is more widespread than the leaders of the league are willing to acknowledge. This thread feels dismissive to the people who have lost interest in this league, but disguised as an invitation to "debate" the validity of their feelings.

I'm not sure why you think this thread is dismissive, when I fall on the "crisis" side of this argument and have been ringing the alarm bells on things like parity for years now?

You see the problem yourself, and yet you're opening a thread to ask if there's a problem? You said yourself there are a lot of threads and discord discussions on the subject, that alone is indicative of a widespread problem. What's this thread going to do except open the floor to people dismissing this as simply people being "overdramatic" like a certain selection of users tend to do in said threads/discord discussions.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

I think, for a lot of folks, the juice is no longer worth the squeeze. Takes a lot of time and energy to keep your bank account full and to do all the tasks. Sure you can probably get by doing mostly AC's, cheap trainings, and a PT every now and then but a lot of people don't want to half-ass it like that.

So then the question is, why do they feel like that? For GMs, its a lot of work with little payoff, at least previously. We'll see if the compensation changes there help, I hope they do.

The biggest issue that touches everything, I think, is parity. There's the top teams and then there's everyone else. An extreme case of haves and have-nots. Not going to try and litigate WHY that is, but its undeniable that its HAM, BUF, TEX, and CHI at the top, with a few teams that reach that level every now and then before falling back to earth. So then what do you do with the other 16 teams in the league? You can either try and hang out in the sim dungeon for hours and hours just to lose to the top teams anyway, or you can ratchet your energy/investment in the league way down and just not care. The vast majority of folks are in that latter group. I don't blame those teams, but that's the perception. Then you add in the extra salt when people feel that teams like HAM get preferential treatment (rightly or wrongly, but there was a reason the whole draftee signing thing was a fiasco), and it breeds general apathy.

How do you fix it? I think you have to help people feel like they matter in the league. Most people don't feel like they matter, or their effort matters, so why bother investing that time and energy into it? I don't know if I'd define it as a "crisis", but we're definitely at a crossroads where something has to change.

[Image: v71TGsT.gif]

I've seen people come and go but it's rough rn. I was excited when we switched to fhm and now it's so fucking boring can't even watch a stream

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2022, 09:31 PM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

03-02-2022, 09:19 PMGrapehead Wrote:
03-02-2022, 09:10 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: I'm not sure why you think this thread is dismissive, when I fall on the "crisis" side of this argument and have been ringing the alarm bells on things like parity for years now?

You see the problem yourself, and yet you're opening a thread to ask if there's a problem? You said yourself there are a lot of threads and discord discussions on the subject, that alone is indicative of a widespread problem. What's this thread going to do except open the floor to people dismissing this as simply people being "overdramatic" like a certain selection of users tend to do in said threads/discord discussions.

I'm not gonna act as if my perception of the matter is an objective truth. I want to get an actual somewhat representative picture of the situation and hear peoples honest opinions, to get input from a large quantity of people whether they think there is a problem or not. Because a couple of retirement threads, while valuable, are not good enough as a sample. Besides, learning who is dismissive about this and who isn't and how they are distributed among, say, different teams, can be quite valuable as well.

Evan Winter
Edmonton Blizzard

I would not be surprised if it has killed many a locker room or player's activity level.

On one hand, one of Buffalo or Hamilton are ALWAYS involved in the cup finals, Hamilton more so.

On the other, Texas won three cups after rebuilding, Baltimore rebuilt into a top team, Toronto was a top five team for a time. Tampa Bay is emerging, LA is emerging. Whilst none of the latter outside of Texas have won anything yet, they represent that ability to build adequately through the draft, shrewd trades, and a process that I PERSONALLY FEEL STHS failed to provide.

Do things feel super solid right now? No.
But i think we have been trending in the right direction.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

Coming from the not too former co-commish.

I think its a mix of both. I think its extenuated for hamilton always winning, which I hate. I think I made that pretty clear when I was co-commish. The way I approached it, was to see if we could fix it not through the sim first. If we could help level the playing field through out of sim consequences, like the budget, TPE scale, and other small changes. But it is clear that it hasnt had the effect that we would have liked to see through our testing and such.

I see why people find it frustrated to see the same teams(mainly hamilton, but also Chicago, Buffalo, Texas now) just have the success and the majority of other teams just be teams, no consequence in the sim. I understand it, I lived it, I experienced it. It does suck, but on the other than I do think there are solutions out there. I trust Finn and the HO group he has atm.

I also understand why people arent creating, because whats the point? commit years to their life to not accomplish anything if you arent apart of the top 5 teams in the league.

But I have trust. I think thats all I have to say on the matter.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

idk is this dramatic?

Since the switch to FHM Hamilton has either won the cup or only lost to the team that went on to win the cup:

S53:Won the cup
S54:Lost in Finals
S55:Lost to cup winner in semi
S56:Won the cup
S57:Lost the Finals
S58:Won the cup
S59:Lost to cup winner in semi
S60:Lost to cup winner in quarter
S61:Won the cup
S62:Lost the Finals
S63:Won the cup

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]
(This post was last modified: 03-02-2022, 11:16 PM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

Parity won't do much when TPE doesn't seem to matter eh *EDIT if you know the sim well enough that is

HO is working on it.

I’ve def heard this one before

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

no

Player Page || Update Page

[Image: a5C9JXf.png]

CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER
MONTREAL IMPACT FOREVER