Create Account

Players Tribune: The More Things Change

Players Tribune
'The More Things Change'
By Brian Davenport

I was playing in Seattle, it was my first season up from Quebec and I was playing in the bottom six. The bottom six gets a bad rap but really its what you would call the 'grind lines'. I remember playing so hard wanting to impress the vets that I almost passed out. Its one thing to be excited to be a regular player on an SHL team but no one wants to be on youtube forever because they passed out at center ice on a faceoff.

I remember after the game that the Captain of the Argos, Cass Darrow was talking to a guy who was standing behind the bench. They seemed friendly and I guess they saw me looking because he invited me over. Told me he had someone he wanted me to meet. I remember watching Eric 'Vandy' Vanderberg playing for Buffalo during both of their cup runs growing up. I remembered him playing on the Jets with Adam Barron and winning a Bojo. I remember his retirement where Buffalo's GM called him the greatest role player in league history. Guy anchored the third pairing of defensemen and did it with class.

He told me I had flair.

Don't ask me because I don't know what he meant, but I asked if he had any advice for me. He said listen to your coaches, be there for your teammates and be careful if you are sent to Edmonton.

There's no sense rehashing the public events that happened with Vanderberg, Edmonton and the League in S57. Though I do remember refreshing twitter constantly because it was hot tea and everyone loves tea when its not you.

So when the Argos told me they were trading me to Edmonton I will admit I got a little worried.

But the GMs were magnificent on both sides, coming to Edmonton was great and it was enjoyable.

Until it suddenly wasn't.

My GM, my then GM was a sweet person. She always checked in on me, I would like to think that's because on a team of young guns we still needed a veteran piece to come together and gel with. She told me that I was coming up on Free Agency next season and where was my head. I told her I planned on staying in Edmonton and would sign long term because I wanted to play for someone like them. We had kicked around some initial numbers until we hit one I thought was reasonable.

Then she stepped down.

I was heartbroken but I get it, its a business.

Then the new GM's staff approached me, hey, free agency coming up, where are you at with staying with Edmonton.

Okay I thought, I guess nothing was passed on.

So I was honest, I told them the previous GM indicated they were going to be here long term, I wanted to be here with them and when they left abruptly I had concerns. But I was open, hit me with your best I told them and we'll see what happens.

I've heard nothing since.

So first weeks of the season begin, I hit the gym to work on some things because to be an SHL player you need to work hard, workout every day. Constantly strive to be better. First thing I ask the training staff when I come in, hey, what do you think I need to work on today. Trainer tells me "Yeah, you need to get X up". I said okay cool, how do I do that.

You might be noticing a trend here, because again, I got no answer.

Last season I hit career highs, I was finally hitting my stride. I was told by the last GM I was going to be mixed between the second and third lines when I re-signed.

Now, I don't know where I am. Where I stand. Imagine being told by your trainers to do better at X skill, then never being told how exactly you go about improving that skill, then their upset with you because you're not doing great. Imagine being told that your financial and playing future is set, then having someone stroll up and ask if you intend to re-sign.

That's the situation I am in right now.

So I am saying right now, publicly, I will not be re-signing in Edmonton.

What happened to Vandy 8 seasons ago was a breakdown in communications. What is happening to me 8 seasons later is a breakdown in communications.

After 8 seasons and still not getting it right that isn't a one off, that's a long standing tradition.

Its also one I no longer wish to be a part of.

Wow Edmonton just said fuck you and Vandy said find out

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Spicy free agency is what I live for.

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

05-23-2022, 04:51 PMMerica Wrote: Wow Edmonton just said fuck you and Vandy said find out

I can assure you at no point did we say fuck you to Vandy nor not want to have him here.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

05-23-2022, 06:13 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote:
05-23-2022, 04:51 PMMerica Wrote: Wow Edmonton just said fuck you and Vandy said find out

I can assure you at no point did we say fuck you to Vandy nor not want to have him here.

Sounds to me like you should be telling him that, and if you had, we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

S2, S5, S18, S22 Challenge Cup Champion
Hall Of Famers: (S7) Alex Reay | (S28) Daniel Merica

[Image: mckeiltbb.png]
[Image: Merica5.gif]
Thanks to Ragnar, Wasty and myself for the sigs.

Sorry to see you go. Wish I could’ve stayed on longer as GM but real life just didn’t shake out that way. I was under the impression that I had passed on that you weren’t extending, but guess it got lost somewhere. Best of luck in the future.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]