Create Account

Patrice the Patriote's story

I don't mean to hijack the official announcement by CampinKiller WHICH YOU CAN FIND HERE, but I wanted to do a little explanation behind the logo and some of the previous concepts and the process for those interested!

It all started with this:
 [Image: AicFpK9.jpg]
some initial sketches

[Image: 9GSQL4A.png]
Unused concepts

[Image: JlCxaDH.png]
These were ok but the first two were more rough passes/ concepts, although the one on the far right is pretty decent I think. It was then I just decided to go with a profile view of the old man from the Patriote movement flag, the sketch in the top left of the previous image.

Final Logo

[Image: pim2PC0.png]

AND the alternate Patrice Logo

[Image: q9j7JMT.png]

Campin already explained the logo very well but I wanted to go a bit more in-depth because I fancy myself a bit of an artist and I'm gonna put my graphic design hat on and really overexplain the logo and the details now... Buckle in.

First off, as Campin explained, the titular Patriote is based on La Vieux de '37 (the Oldie or Old Man of '37) depicting an old Quebecois patriot with a pipe, tuque, and scarf three icons of French Canada. The mustache was added in reference to the original Patriotes' logo on which the patriot is sporting a thin french mustache, which I thickened on my logo because mustaches are cool and I think it made Patrice a little more imposing. The silver shading was also designed to look like the shading on the original logo but slightly less 'busy' if that's the right word. Obviously, the fleur and leaf are in reference to both Canada and Quebec (although I can't take credit for this element as it's also on their secondary which I didn't design). The shield is also partially based on the original logo as that one had a somewhat similarly shaped shield in which the patriot stood. Basically, I tried to make them something new, but that clearly was related or was an update of sorts on their previous logo.

Now some more bits just for fun!

Retro Logo and Wordmark

[Image: pGsWBLY.png]

Sweater Numbers

[Image: Rxo9uRG.png]

Two Other Alternate Concepts
[Image: xkWDrKY.png]
[Image: WCsiU3W.png]

I think that's it! I'm sure after this post and Campin's you're all Patriote'd out. I don't blame you, but I wanted to make this post just to show a bit of the process and to thank some folks.

Thanks again to the Patriotes for chipping in with critiques and sticking with me as I iterated on the concept and ultimately for using it as their logo. It actually means a lot. 

Thanks too to the SHL community for reading and commenting on my media posts, it really keeps me motivated, and enjoying doing graphics. Also, I couldn't be happier with the reaction to the original announcement post, you guys had nothing but super kind words (it's totally ok to dislike the logo lol).

Again, brick was super cool throughout this whole process and it never would've happened without him, his help in the GF locker room was key.

That's it, again can't thank everyone enough for how cool they've been and I'm also finishing up school for the year at the moment so if there are any projects anyone needs help with I can try to find time to help out!

This doesn't need to be graded its only like 500 words or smthn.

love it well done

[Image: BriePK.gif]
|Canada |Steelhawks| Armada|

|Canada| Inferno| Knights|

[Image: unknown.png]

you’re sick

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

06-28-2022, 06:50 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: you’re sick
no u

Great job honestly

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Really nice

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Still love the Christmas jersey

[Image: 65151_s.gif]

[Image: Tqabyfh.png] [Image: OOcGSpM.png]

As someone with literally zero artistic skill or creative flair, this is a really fascinating piece, getting a look into the process, and the whole redesign is outstanding.

[Image: A3AlstA.png]

I really love it, great work!