Create Account

S66 PT #2: Freaky Friday

Simmer Pass

If I was not a player in the Simulation Hockey League playing for the Hamilton Steelhawks in the twilight of my career, on the cusp of reaching one thousand points, I have to say that I would love to be a sculpter. Ceramics is my favourite art medium, and although I have not indulged in throwing on the wheel, or glazing various pieces, or even painfully making art by hand, rather it be through coils, or presses, I would love to get back into it, as long as I had nothing but time. It would be so much fun, throwing bowls or vases on the wheel. Frustrating as well, as the clay spinning extremely fast, unable to be centred and having to start over again and over again and over again. Very frustrating. But I always had so much fun glazing pieces, seeing what colour combinations I could create, different designs, how heat would effect the colours.

[Image: j2h9XpS.png]
Thanks to JSS for the signature

[Image: ohmEd0h.png][Image: apAE8qn.png]

Quote:Written Task: Now that you're a big time hockey tactician, tell me about your plans! If you got to coach a pro team, what kind of things would you want to explore? Do you feel like there's a facet of the game that isn't being exploited by current coaches? Weird plays you'd like to try? Something like running five forwards on the power play? Sky's the limit! I want to hear what interesting or fun ideas you'd have if you got to be the bench boss. (150+ words)

One thing Aleksi Kettu has really wanted to work with since making the move to North America has been to establish more of a net front presence. He has taken notice of the teams both around the SMJHL and SHL and has realized that not many teams out there truly like to establish a net front presence. This has created a huge hole both in terms of offensive potential and defensive focus. With no teams focusing on net front offense, no team has really needed to focus on net front defense. This is a hole Kettu has really wanted to make a point of exploiting as a player, and if given the chance as a coach is something he would love to attempt to implement with whatever team he was working for. With the low tempo style of play that the North American ice has compared to the European leagues back home, Kettu knows this style of play is one that would truly be beneficial.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

Oh, this is interesting! If Vlastislav Malik woke up as a different career, he would love to be a researcher. Something in the realm of sports medicine would be very interesting. His love of hockey could be somewhat satisfied by working with SHL players in his research. It'd be interesting to work with SHL players to understand their routines, diet, sleep schedule, workouts, etc and help them attain higher success levels. Or maybe Malik could research how SHL players' bodies recover from injuries. Do certain skills sets reduce the chance for injury? Are there methods to recover from injuries quicker? Maybe we could research injuries to such an extent that we add them to the SHL! And really, the main purpose of being an SHL-affiliated researcher is to have access to Valterri Kauppinen to continue messing with him. Let's take it to the next level. We can truly destroy his career while posing as though we're "helping" him. Sounds good to me!

[Image: leafs1997.gif]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: QtEp67y.png]

Written Player Prompt:

Say Manon was hit in the head with a puck, and she woke up in a different life. What would that life be? She’d be one of these few things, a doctor, a barista, working at barnes and noble for book discounts, or a vet. The strongest option would likely be a vet, as she always has been fond of animals of all kinds. She grew up with dogs, cats, and small pets here and there, which made her love for animals grow as the years went on. Had she not gotten into hockey, then she’d likely be on a farm taking care of cows and horses all day. Even now, she plays hockey, but when the off-season hits and she isn’t traveling or getting coffee, she spends time in the park with her dogs, or goes on a ride or two with some friends out into the country on horseback.

(155 words)

Written Task: Now that you're a big time hockey tactician, tell me about your plans! If you got to coach a pro team, what kind of things would you want to explore? Do you feel like there's a facet of the game that isn't being exploited by current coaches? Weird plays you'd like to try? Something like running five forwards on the power play? Sky's the limit! I want to hear what interesting or fun ideas you'd have if you got to be the bench boss. (150+ words)

I think I would run the strategy of being strong on the puck to limit turnovers, telling my players to be selfish with the puck when they get and just start firing pucks from wherever to try and get the goalie off guard. Make sure that the goalie is on their toes and try and fire 100+ pucks a night on the goalie, make his life miserable and get him tired, try and not to make too many passes as it just leads to turnovers and goals against. Then I wouldn't try and be a phyiscal team but be a strong team with a heavy cycle in the offensive zone. this will make it sure that we don't take a lot of penalties, and we draw a lot of penalties as it is a pain in the ass to play against a team with this kind of style. We would want to be a hard team to play against. Defense would be a priority too but I would like to play in the other team's zone, but also we just would be a good positional team that is going to be hard to go through, make sure they have to go through the entire team before getting to the goalie, attack on defense and be aggressive and try and make the team outwork us to scoring against us. I think this is a good strategy as like I said, I think being hard to play against is just a mindset and not really a style of play.

[Image: hallsy.png]

Billy awakens, feeling like a hammer is pounding his skull and the bright light searing his retinas. After he adjusts to the light he noticed he was now in a chemistry laboratory. Billy was incredibly confused as the last thing he remembers was him on the ice during practice. But now here he is surrounded by chemicals and scientific do-hickey. But know Billy understands that this is the life he is in for. He is now a chemist as apposed to a hockey player. Instead of barreling down and crushing someone he's now analyzing the pH of a substance. Instead of power skating drills he's calculating the efficiency of a reaction. Now instead of a physical role, Billy finds himself in a cerebral role. Now he's gotta do the titrations in the lab to figure out the molarity of a compound instead of putting his all on the line to make his team run through a brick wall.