Create Account

TEX needs a GM (memoir)

TEX needed a GM 6 months ago. 

Fresh off a couple cups, everything must've been good, right? 

Wrong. The team was going through mass-burnout. After a second-round exit in S63, the tipping point was reached. Puoli promptly announced his resignation, citing an awaiting busy summer. RedCape also went inactive, albeit quietly, and is still present in the LR to this day. Prior to this, a top young centerman in Aephino disappeared. Mikkel Asmus Sondergaard disappeared shortly after signing a massive 3 season contract. Avakael, one of the team's only prospects, quit after failing to win the SMJHL defensive defenseman award. A decline was imminent, and the team found itself without leadership. 

Then you have me, a newbie who had discovered the SHL just 6 months prior. Not knowing the FHM meta, I went with a sniper build. I dumped most of my points into shooting accuracy. I was drafted pretty late in both the SMJHL and SHL, due to a limited activity level and no income sources. The SHL needed a simmer after Kalakar quit. I saw the huge salary and PT pass, I immediately went for the opportunity. I was the only applicant for this position, and Sparky hired me on the spot. Prior to this, I paid zero attention to the SHL. So all the teams and players were new to me. I noticed Texas, the team who drafted me, was actually doing pretty good. They ended up winning the cup. I was thinking "hey, I'm going to a successful team." This was great news to me as I was stuck on a basement Regina Elk team. Bjorn Bjorn retired midway through S63. That meant I was going to have an SHL roster spot next season. I was getting called-up early. The hype was real.

To my knowledge, I was the only applicant for this job. No one else within the LR expressed interest in GMing, as it was believed that you needed to treat it like a full-time job. (I never treated it like a full-time job, look where that got me.) Right off the bat, I needed to renew everybody's contracts. Leviadan and Oh-Taay brought up some concerns. They couldn't see themselves with TEX long-term. They recognized the incoming downfall, and wanted to escape. The LR was dying, and only getting worse. What have I gotten myself into? I quickly secure a deal with ATL to salvage a couple future pieces for Leviadan. I acquire Dextaria from TOR in order to show Oh-Taay my intentions of competing in S64. The LR never got better, but I managed to compete with CHI for the president's trophy. The team actually did better in S64 than it did in S63. Without a 2k TPE player in Leviadan. I won the fucking Lance Uppercut award, in my first season. I felt a little guilty, as I didn't believe I deserved it. Also because I knew that I made the impending doom worse, by trying to win another cup in S64. 

I was going into this rebuild alone. I planned out how I was going to trade everyone away, because they would just leave like Leviadan. 

Insert @CapnCooper. Dude signalled full intention to ride out the rebuild. I was blown away. If I were in his position, I would've DIPPED. Amazing person, I made him AGM because there were no applicants and he wanted to help out. I immediately felt pressured to make this work. Not just for me. I'm okay with failing myself, but I'm not okay with failing other people.

Step 1: Trade away all valuable pieces. I worked out a sign-and-trade with CHI for Oh-Taay. I sent Lemobens and High Haschdi to TOR for a bunch of picks. I should've stopped there.

Step 2: Acquire young, active players to give life to a dead LR. My logic was: "No one will want to stay on a team with a dead LR." What's the point of drafting people if they could just pack up and leave before ever playing a game for you? I was so insecure of this, I needed to make this LR active. What I ended up doing was using most of the picks from the TOR trade, and sending them to WPG. For Durden and Tightpants. At first it seemed like a genius move. But they both went inactive. And the SHL community really let me know how stupid I was. I just want to thank @Ace and @Wally for helping me navigate through that toxicity. But this is still a move that has kinda fucked the franchise. And I still feel bad about it. 

Step 3: Drafting. I had a plan to get specific players in S65. But shit hit the fan when trades fell through and I ended up with 1 active prospect in DAD. The S66 draft went amazingly. Wanna know why? I wasn't there. I gave Cooper full reign, and he executed. Still a lot of people talking shit over the move we made in that draft, but it doesn't matter because we got two amazing prospects in @Anthique and @kast3rborous. I hope you guys stay.

TEX has always had a reputation, people have always been skeptical about joining this team. First it was an unfair stigma. People loved to shit on TEX and HAM for "breaking the sim." They claimed we forced people to build a certain way. I just want to say Puoli never made anyone do that. He was an amazing GM who gave everybody the freedom to build what they wanted. If you needed help or suggestions, he would go over your build and give you multiple avenues. He devoted his time to GMing, and absolutely deserved every bit of success he earned. I was never able to fully replicate his style, but I damn well tried. 

The next incident involved me retiring my player. I had always felt a disconnect with my player after discovering FHM had a meta. I was sad about dumping my points into shooting accuracy. After some unsuccessful J seasons I was thinking about recreating. I already had the name picked out. I was thinking, maybe S69. Or S75. I liked those numbers. But after putting up a 50 point rookie season in the SHL, I had second thoughts. I could have a HOF-worthy player on my hands. If this player wins the Jesster, I think I gotta stick it out to see where it goes. But he wasn't even nominated. So I went ahead and recreated into a defenseman to help the team in the long-term. This brought a lot of flak, and a lot of people saying they will never go to TEX. 

And now we have the present, where my fuck-up has nobody wanting to be drafted by TEX. In the franchise's most important draft. I have found myself needing to step down. The longer I stay, the more I fuck-up my players experiences. Stepping down now also fucks the team, as my player is going poof. Just a lose-lose. I originally had thoughts of stepping down a couple months ago. I was going to stick out the 3rd season, then step down, and quietly max-earn and sim SMJHL games. But that's not an option anymore. I have this reputation following me. People thinking I had malicious intent. I'm not that kind of person. 

I mentally can't handle this type of heat. 

To Texas, I'm sorry. You guys need a GM. A GM who is well-connected within the league, and can attract free agents. Because I've left you in a fucked position. Like John Chayka to the Arizona Coyotes. I'm especially sorry to Cooper who has dedicated his time to the franchise. I hope you get it turned around, or at least enjoy some SHL success on a different team.

To Yukon, I'm sorry. You guys have been so welcoming, being on your team has been, and will always be my favorite sim-league experience. I really hope you get that cup, with or without me. @Big Newff @Fluw

Yagoyi out. (you know what's crazy, I'm leaving exactly 1 year from when I joined)

[Image: MWJDjbu.png]
[Image: 183de87f8b7c0453e0172c60380f5739.png]

:sadge:

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

fwiw, I dont think anyone I know think Tex broke the sim. Pouli and RCD built a great team, Dankoa did well with the start of the rebuild, Pouli and RCD had a great transition into being competitive

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 05:08 PM by Tomen.)

If it somehow helps ,whoever said TEX broke the sim is dumb as shit and shouldn't be taken seriously.

[Image: KSelich.gif]
Thank you all for the amazing sigs & player cards
Germany Citadelles  Stampede [Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: Raptors.png][Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: eE2UQZC.png] Stampede Citadelles Germany

3. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 5 (Maximilian Wachter, Alexis Metzler) at 16:25
5. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 6 (Steven Stamkos Jr., Brynjar Tusk) at 19:48
8. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 7 (Brynjar Tusk, Alexis Metzler) at 13:55
9. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 8 (Anton Fedorov, Mikelis Grundmanis) at 15:12
10. Buffalo Stampede , Eduard Selich 9 (Dickie Pecker) at 19:43 (Empty Net)

I can't say I blame you for wanting to quit GM'ing, hard not to take some things personally. I've been there a couple times the past few seasons.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

08-17-2022, 05:07 PMTomen Wrote: If it somehow helps ,whoever said TEX broke the sim is dumb as shit and shouldn't be taken seriously.

probably some smooth brain idiot like @WannabeFinn

Always appreciated the time you put in Yag. Hope you can disconnect and come back refreshed.

Best of luck my friend.

[Image: Oats.gif]

Player Page | Player Update
[Image: 401.png] [Image: S42cup1.png] [Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png][Image: WuTGq5J.png][Image: XUMDqMO.png]

This was a really tough read, I can tell how much all of this has affected you. Hope you can find some peace away from the league.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

I really respected the way you handled my departure, and I was excited to see where things went under your leadership. You gotta do what's best for you though! If this place is getting to your head then I hope stepping away helps you out. Maybe one day you can come back and have fun with it again.

Cheers, and sorry to see you go.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2022, 05:21 PM by PremierBromanov. Edited 1 time in total.)

Happens to the best of us (me). It's a stressful job and sometimes not worth it

I will say though, i haven't heard any anti tex sentiments. I'd go there

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Regardless of what you are up to next... Put in the same amount of energy you did here. Just reading this now makes me a little sad... You are awesome Yag. People will always question anything you do, here or wherever. If you believe and buy into it, own it and follow through on it... You will find success. Whether you have found success in Texas is totally up to how you define it. Will miss you around <3

[Image: Wally.png]

I still hope to get drafted one day to tex.... :(

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: vj4u3El.png]

That third paragraph sounds just like my initial experience in anchorage. It gets better. I’m sorry you got bullied out of this position.

Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab Gnome Dab
[Image: 64012_s.gif]
Sigs by Me, Merica, High Stick King, Rum_Ham, Jess, vulfzilla, enigmatic, and Carpy
Stampede  Kraken
❤!! RIP to the big homies 701 and Mac !!❤

Thanks for the memories Yag <3 You've been a pleasure to work with in Yukon, and I wish you nothing but the best in your future endeavors.

You were right - this isn't worth your mental (or physical) health. We don't deserve you.

Thank you for all you've done. I sure as hell hope whoever pushed you out is ready to step up - because you'll be impossible to replace.

[Image: bouch22.jpg?ex=65381617&is=6525a117&hm=6...178839271&] [Image: VGl3CB4.png]

Glad boom’s run another person off the site lmao, Jesus Christ.

Fwiw I don’t think anyone thought you were making any moves out of malice, outside of a small set of people. Hope time away helps you out though

PatriotesUsaWhalers

[Image: CampinKiller.gif]