Create Account

TEX needs a GM (memoir)

08-17-2022, 06:01 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Glad boom’s run another person off the site lmao, Jesus Christ.

-

08-17-2022, 06:09 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:
08-17-2022, 06:01 PMCampinKiller Wrote: Glad boom’s run another person off the site lmao, Jesus Christ.

-
Absolutely stupid take

[Image: Mat10Man.gif]

[Image: bhLfeta.png][Image: UbL0bdg.png]

08-17-2022, 06:20 PMMatteo Wrote:
08-17-2022, 06:09 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: -
Absolutely stupid take

cool dude <3

Offering to step up in the first place to take over a team is a brave decision that comes from a good place, sad to see how people treated you and how it's affected you.

Wishing you all the best, hopefully you return one day, I've heard nothing but great things about you.

[Image: S38oOt3.png][Image: of1yZSs.png]
[Image: JzmdDrE.png]

Fwiw I don’t think anyone thought you were making any moves out of malice, outside of a small set of people. Hope time away helps you out though

I hardly think Boom would've been a sole contributor to this interaction at all. The breaking point maybe, but it was also pretty incompetent of him at best to do this while having a higher tpe defenseman on his roster he hadn't played all season.

“The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. ... There are neither beginnings nor endings to the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning.”

[Image: HFFO.gif]

Fwiw I don’t think anyone thought you were making any moves out of malice, outside of a small set of people. Hope time away helps you out though

Get out of here with this. It was an absolutely garbage move being discussed everywhere I checked across the league last night. The rule change thread was going to cause a reaction one way or another and the TD simply redirected it. If you think calling up a 350TPE IA for game 4 in a series you had no hope to win wasn't done with malice....

[Image: BrettBroadway.gif]
[Image: Hunter.png]

08-17-2022, 06:39 PMToast Wrote:

Get out of here with this. It was an absolutely garbage move being discussed everywhere I checked across the league last night. The rule change thread was going to cause a reaction one way or another and the TD simply redirected it. If you think calling up a 350TPE IA for game 4 in a series you had no hope to win wasn't done with malice....

More notes: SUB 350 TPE forward, to play out of position, when the team has a 400 TPE defenseman player on the roster signed legally and i couldn't find anything saying that player was suspended.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

Yag, GMing requires guts of steel to do, and I think you handled the criticism very well.

If you need someone to speak to, I’m around the corner.

We all appreciate you @Yagoyi!

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]

Thanks for your time in Texas Yags. It sucks that you felt you had to leave but I understand it. 

You absolutely took the reigns while the horses were already gone. You certainly have my respect for trying to make something work in Texas.

[Image: 3WSeHAA.png]

08-17-2022, 06:44 PMEvok Wrote:
08-17-2022, 06:39 PMToast Wrote: Get out of here with this. It was an absolutely garbage move being discussed everywhere I checked across the league last night. The rule change thread was going to cause a reaction one way or another and the TD simply redirected it. If you think calling up a 350TPE IA for game 4 in a series you had no hope to win wasn't done with malice....

More notes: SUB 350 TPE forward, to play out of position, when the team has a 400 TPE defenseman player on the roster signed legally and i couldn't find anything saying that player was suspended.

If you're talking about sunazzo they were dropped a month ago

You were handed an impossible task of managing existing personalities on an aging team and trying to do best by the team's future. Never feel bad for putting in effort, it was easy to tell you were trying very hard to right your ship. Hope you can come back in a player role at some time and enjoy the league fully.

[Image: rotti.gif]

Back in S37 I took over a Toronto team that was in pretty much the similar situation. We'd won the cup in S35, and I had mostly high TPE solid IAs to try and force some playoff success. We ended up losing in game 7 of the finals. Between the IAs and rule changes that came in that offseason, we had to tear everything down. The LR wasn't great.

Rebuilding like that is probably the hardest job on the site. If you're fortunate enough that there's even FAs that want to leave their current team, the odds of enticing them to join any kind of up and coming team is exceptionally difficult, unless you are a really popular person on the site and can put together a strong pitch. Most FAs have places in mind already. It's really hard to draw people to your team.

Making mistakes early is part of the job for a new GM. People need to relax. I made trades that I regret, bad trades, trades that arguably were worse for our team. My first trade, we had 7th OA in the S37 draft. Traded back 1 spot and got a 2nd round pick. Picking up a decent 2nd for 1 spot? Golden! But even at the time I knew that Edmonton was trading up to get the guy I wanted to pick. Tor Tuck. I never should have made that deal because I knew I wasn't going to get my guy. But 1 spot for a 2nd round pick would look too good to make as a first trade. Making that trade probably caused Toronto way more long term problems than a 2nd round pick would help. It's a great looking trade. No one would shit on me for it but it was probably the worst trade I made. People make mistakes as first time GMs, and trades aren't always what they seem.

Drafting is one of the most important aspects of rebuilding, and if you don't nail it, it feels crushing. I get it. I was fortunate enough to have nailed it in S39 to kick off the rebuild. I had 4 1st round picks, including 3 in a row (I got shit on a lot for making the trade for 7th overall - I had 6 and 8 already, and Hamilton picked between me. They could fuck up my plans big time, so I paid a hefty price, and I still think it was worth it). I drafted our goalie of the future, Tommy Tuck, 10th. I had been GMing for several seasons by that point, including SMJHL, so I had a hang of it. You have to trust yourself at some point that you know what you are doing.

We never really found success. Tommy Tuck routinely wanted to leave to play with Tor, I had to pay way overprice to keep him. FAs didn't really want to join because we weren't a popular place. The LR never got to what I had hoped. It all got to be too much and I burned out. It's really fucking hard to be a GM in sim leagues unless you've got something special. I drafted a lot of people in S39 who were lifers in Toronto and it still wasn't enough.

Learning the GM ropes involves making mistakes. Would I have retired my player? Probably not, there's position changes and redistributions that can help. But you are far from the first GM to retire a player to make a new one that better fit team needs/timeline. Hell, Ace did that a couple seasons ago.

I don't know what the scouting has looked like, but I know you can find people who want to go to your team. Texas has had a reputation far before you got there. You can find the right people, but I also understand how draining it is to have all your effort fall short repeatedly. I've been a simmer (ISFL), HO (PBE, EFL), GM (SHL, EFL, PBE) and pretty much every other job except a banker at some point, and I can tell you nothing was as draining as being a GM. Aside from seeing your effort (and the effort of everyone on your team) come up short, it's also toxic AF. I've seen it from both sides.

Aside from GMing, I know how hard mentally it can be facing that kind of criticism. Like everything you do is malicious no matter how hard you try. No matter what your intentions were. You don't want to be that kind of person that people see you as. The people that matter won't see you that way. It's easier said than done. I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with that kind of criticism. They don't define who you are, but that's a lot easier to say than it is to really build yourself up to that point.

I hope you can eventually come back here. Despite some toxic shit it can be a genuinely good place. Hope you can find yourself in a good headspace again.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]

08-17-2022, 07:38 PMspooked Wrote:
08-17-2022, 06:44 PMEvok Wrote: More notes: SUB 350 TPE forward, to play out of position, when the team has a 400 TPE defenseman player on the roster signed legally and i couldn't find anything saying that player was suspended.

If you're talking about sunazzo they were dropped a month ago

Where please? Looking at the player name it doesnt seems to be done. Its not in contract change thread, cant find a trade, still on tex roster subforum and on their official shl budget.

[Image: Evok.gif]

[Image: merha.gif]

08-17-2022, 06:09 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:

-
Yikers take

[Image: Caleb_H.gif]

08-17-2022, 07:57 PMEvok Wrote:
08-17-2022, 07:38 PMspooked Wrote: If you're talking about sunazzo they were dropped a month ago

Where please? Looking at the player name it doesnt seems to be done. Its not in contract change thread, cant find a trade, still on tex roster subforum and on their official shl budget.

In the in-season roster change thread for SHL GMs.

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]