Create Account

Inside the Scoring Race that Was
(This post was last modified: 10-16-2022, 04:28 PM by boom. Edited 1 time in total.)

[377 words + graphs and data, ready for grading]

With the season over and a tight scoring race concluded in the SMJHL, I decided to track the game-by-game track of this race to really illustrate how it went. I tracked the goals and points by going through the index for both Sophie Bordeleau of the Quebec City Citadelles and Bnana Waffles of the Detroit Falcons. For goals, I also did the same with second-place finisher Mando Lorian of the Maine Timber. I also decided to track where these scorers were throughout the season relative to an interpolated pace of the goals (49) and points (94) high-water marks.

First up, let's look at the goals.
[Image: 7oDCdhY.png]

It was quite an exciting stretch for goals in the SMJHL this year. All three of these players spent time at or above the pace of Greyson Cooper's record-setting year in S61 where the Citadelles star put up 49 goals. Around the 40-game mark, you're probably noticing a huge jump for Waffles in goals. Well, it turns out that during that stretch he took the scoring race and blew it to hell. In a five-game stretch, Bnana Waffles scored three hat tricks for a total of 10 goals and 17 points. This offensive explosion briefly put him above Cooper's record pace and gave him the lead in goals over Bordeleau. He managed to defend his title from a hard-charging Mando Lorian of the Maine Timber by scoring a hat trick in the second-last game of the season. Lorian, for his efforts, came out of nowhere in February by scoring back-to-back hat tricks and catapulting himself into the top three. Sophie Bordeleau was challenging the record for much of the season and was able to match the pace past 50 games, but scoring only one goal in nine games ultimately sunk her campaign for the Martucci.

And now points:

[Image: LCkcJfm.png]

It was a hard-fought battle thoughout the season, but when Waffles had that 17-point outburst in January it was all over. This explosion put him above Ivan Lacksamus' record-setting pace and he never let it go. 

Other things to note:

- Waffles had 5 hat tricks, Lorian 3, Bordeleau just 1.

- Six players have scored 45 or more goals in a season. Mando Lorian is the only player of those to not win the goal title.

Raw Data

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

fascinating to see the fluctuations!

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

Great job!

Wish I had not help them that much by having an awful season...

[Image: SyiOY8U.png]
[Image: un22.png] [Image: 5tu6.png]

I’m curious about an SHL version, the main league had 4 players score 50 or more goals this season.

[Image: ljefVAX.png]
[Image: Wf5B9wj.png]