Create Account

Seattle Argonauts Announce Pending Management Change, AMA
(This post was last modified: 11-12-2022, 04:44 AM by notorioustig. Edited 10 times in total.)

After this season, my thirteenth behind the wheel of the Seattle Argonauts, I will be traveling to the nice GM farm upstate to run around and play with all of the other former GMs. It feels like not that long ago that I was coming up with expansion team concepts in a Google doc, and now the one that became my favourite branding over time has a Challenge Cup to its name. Between my time in Detroit and Seattle, it's been in and around 25 seasons consecutively of GMing, and the truth is that I just don't have the same level of drive, energy, or even free time that I used to. I've been doing it long enough that I don't necessarily need to be at peak engagement to competently manage a team, but I just don't fundamentally believe that's healthy for the team. The Argonauts deserve someone who's full of energy for the position and I just don't feel that I can give them that anymore, so it's time for me to step back. Also, it means the team might keep a 1st round pick at some point without me around.

The league has changed a ton since I first took over Detroit about four years ago. Largely it has been for the better of the site, even if some things weren't the best for my personal enjoyment of managing a team. Winning a cup definitely made this decision easier, but I knew the time was coming either way. Now the hope remains that we can make it back to back cups on the way out.

Will I ever GM again? I think I need some time away to figure out the answer to that. It might even come with some time in between my current player and the next one. I'll just have to see how I'm feeling without the responsibility of piloting a ship and see how long it takes me to get the itch and/or decide I hate having to do CW again.

A lot of people (too many to name without leaving some out by accident) have been a huge part of my stretch of GMing, as mentors, players, rivals, friends, and of course co-GMs. Thank you all for making the ride a fun one.

If anyone has questions about anything really, fire away. I'm gonna need the money without the GM salary.

11-08-2022, 03:12 PMBuster Wrote: Hey Tig. No question at this time. But I just started smelling gas. Who is responsible for letting a fat one rip?

Thanks from your pal Buster

Seb

11-08-2022, 03:19 PMSebster Wrote: how did it feel to draft willie miller

You know how it feels to chew 5 gum? Not like that. In a word I would say I am whelmed

11-08-2022, 03:31 PMsköldpaddor Wrote: who gave you permission to quit

If you force me to stay Seattle will never draft in the first round again

11-08-2022, 03:40 PMjay2233 Wrote: Best and worst moves as SEA GM?

Who was the most random player you’ve acquired?

Best move was probably I think the minute we decided to do a soft rebuild ahead of S61, we had been building up and acquired some pieces but had a trade request that kind of put us in an awkward spot for competing. We ended up moving three of our big pieces from that team to bring in some draft picks to really re-stock, retooled a bit, and the young core we built out of that was a big part of our cup win (you were obviously one of those picks). I think it would have been easy to try and hang onto being mildly competitive after the early years of the franchise being rough, but we made the hard call and it worked out.

Worst move was probably the trade for Nour, it obviously just didn't work out with him being a bit burnt out between irl and commish duties but he's doing better on his new player and no hard feelings there. You don't GM for as long as I have without some rough ones.

Most random player? Uhhhhhhhhh, probably Pazuzu's player I can't remember the name of off the top of my head, we needed a cheap 1M IFA in the first season after expansion and he was my PBE GM so I picked him for basically that reason.

11-08-2022, 05:40 PMnotoriousTRON Wrote: Is this because I left :(

No of course not, only one player had the power to truly break me and he's been gone for ages now

11-08-2022, 06:19 PMAgentSmith630 Wrote: What's your opinion on the arms race that the Pacific has seen over the past few seasons? What do you see as your best/biggest move to help you stay afloat and compete against a peaking LAP and SFP?

That was definitely a big source of tension for sure. The battle for seeding in particular was something I always worried about, home ice advantage seems to be a not insignificant factor in FHM so being one of the best teams in the league and 3rd in your division was a rough draw for sure. When you have 3 teams that are capable of going all the way and only one of them gets to go past round 2, it's tough to know what to expect and you just have to hope for the best and try your best to improve the team in the meantime. Obviously with LAP pulling out a bit, we decided to take a big swing last offseason with bringing in Lilja/Kahnwald/Wagner and that trade along with us bringing Mihailov in from ATL was what I think put us over the top on an already quality team that just made the finals. With that said, some older trades we made like bringing in Slate, Hobbes, and Pritchard to give us some real solid depth are what allowed us to start being competitive and put us in the position to go for it after we saw we were capable of making a run two seasons ago. I don't think it was ever really about one or multiple moves being the key as much as it was good process leading to long term results, we just kind of waited for opportunities to improve and were aggressive when we needed to be, and fortunately it paid off. Great Lakes Simulator did not give me the warm and fuzzies though

11-08-2022, 10:45 PMSpartanGibbles Wrote: Why is Gamora?

Everyone always asks "where is Gamora?" or "who is Gamora?" or "why is Gamora?" but never "how is Gamora?"

11-08-2022, 11:00 PMcharlieconway Wrote: Just wanna say I'm a big fan of what you did last season.

You lost in the finals but didn't let that keep you down and went out and made some huge acquisitions to turn a great roster into an unbelievable one. I'm glad it paid off for you because I like it when a plan comes together.

I Hope taking a break can rekindle your passion for the SHL  Cheers

Oh and uh since this is a Q&A...
If you were mandated by the league to change the Argonauts colors to anything other than blue and gold, what would you choose?

I also love it when a plan comes together because boy I could have looked dumb if it didn't lol

If HO came for the blue and gold I would recommend changing to gold and blue, and if that more passive method of telling them to shove it didn't work I'd probably resign in protest. The colours are what they are for a thematic reason and they slap

11-10-2022, 04:12 PMCementHands Wrote: Will the new leadership finally be able to do the right thing and name Seattle the "Rain City Bitch Pigeons"?

If HO approves this I will hunt @WannabeFinn for sport

11-10-2022, 04:33 PMNictox Wrote: Hi Tig, long time fan,

How do you feel about baby griffins? Like once they hatch they can totally be pets with a possibility of mounts, right?

Thanks for the time.

They could also be used as cannon fodder for emotional responses imo, who's to say

11-10-2022, 05:05 PMSDCore Wrote: Tig, you seem like a really big fan of boats... There are rumors that a certain group of people are going to commandeer a boat soon and sail the seas. How good are Goliaths are sailing, asking for a friend.

The dice will decide I suppose. I hope you can swim

11-10-2022, 05:13 PMNictox Wrote:
11-10-2022, 05:05 PMSDCore Wrote: Tig, you seem like a really big fan of boats... There are rumors that a certain group of people are going to commandeer a boat soon and sail the seas. How good are Goliaths are sailing, asking for a friend.

I want to add on to this...

So say a person has a treasure map, and that person happens to find a boat. How long would it take for said person to crash the boat into a cliff side?

2-4 rounds max

11-10-2022, 05:56 PM_Blitz_ Wrote: On the trend of boats, can a Create/Destroy Water or Move Water spell significantly impact the rate of movement on a boat?

How did I almost die last session?

Fuck around and find out

Lots of corpses coming alive mostly

11-10-2022, 11:31 PMdmuda11 Wrote: How come u are so bad at beer pong

We made the finals of the tournament wtf

11-10-2022, 11:55 PMNhamlet Wrote: Congrats Tig and co.

I attribute a lot of the drive I had to do well from seeing what you did with Detroit in S53 but there's no way you'll get me to GM in the SHL. That being said, what would you say to somebody who's considering making the jump from juniors management to SHL? Or to convince people to take that leap?

Biggest difference is the timeframe you're working with. We started in S56, won a cup in S67, and two of our top players are in regression from our first ever draft class. In the J, you you have a short window, but also a short reload time if it doesn't go well. There are things you can do in the SHL to extend your window (BUF and HAM were excellent at this), but the difference in expectations needs to be very different between the two leagues. You can't turn things around in a short time in the SHL, so you need to be patient. Because results are achieved over the long term, good process rules all. You need to be extremely aware of and honest about where your team stands at any given time and be ready to make decisions quickly at times when you read the tea leaves. Our first go around being good in Seattle, we had a trade request that made us decide to blow things up a bit because it wasn't worth it to hang onto being mediocre. That soft rebuild got us some important picks that were key contributors to our cup (and S66 finals run), so we ended up better for making a big decision at a key time. Ditto for the big trades last offseason, us making the finals was a signal that we had a team capable of doing damage, so we took a swing on competing now while the window was clearly open. Even then, all you're doing is trying to maximize odds of winning, there's never a guarantee. In the J, you can borrow from a future window to complement the present, or loan the present to the future in terms of assets, but at the end of the day the turnaround time is a few seasons. You can reload and try different things pretty frequently. In terms of convincing people to want one or the other, it's largely dependent on how you prefer to see your plans play out. If you like the slow burn and can commit to a plan, the SHL might be up your alley. If you want quicker turnaround, the opportunity to reset from a blank slate more frequently, SMJHL is better for that.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Dont go

[Image: jE4ioeC.png][Image: meOh9pz.png]

Hey Tig. No question at this time. But I just started smelling gas. Who is responsible for letting a fat one rip?

Thanks from your pal Buster

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

Congrats Tig! Thank you for drafting me to Detroit - that was and is still one of my best experiences in this league, with the S53 Detroit draft class.

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

how did it feel to draft willie miller

[Image: 8pRoFZH.png]

Enjoy your relaxation my friend. Well earned.

You did good.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

who gave you permission to quit

[Image: gunnarsoderberg.gif]

[Image: xJXeYmQ.png]
[Image: DG0jZcS.png]
. : [Image: zS2lCMp.png] : .

Best and worst moves as SEA GM?

Who was the most random player you’ve acquired?

[Image: jay2233.gif]
Thanks to @Ragnar, @High Stick King and @Maxy for the sigs!

Raptors Argonauts 
[Image: m59RPb7.png][Image: FcWmVTl.png]

Is this because I left :(

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

What's your opinion on the arms race that the Pacific has seen over the past few seasons? What do you see as your best/biggest move to help you stay afloat and compete against a peaking LAP and SFP?

[Image: AgentSmith630.gif]
Thanks to @sulovilen, @the5urreal, and @sve7en for the sigs!

Answered through here

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

Why is Gamora?

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

Just wanna say I'm a big fan of what you did last season.

You lost in the finals but didn't let that keep you down and went out and made some huge acquisitions to turn a great roster into an unbelievable one. I'm glad it paid off for you because I like it when a plan comes together.

I Hope taking a break can rekindle your passion for the SHL Cheers

Oh and uh since this is a Q&A...
If you were mandated by the league to change the Argonauts colors to anything other than blue and gold, what would you choose?

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

I'm just here to say I love you, and I'm glad me leaving helped get Seattle over the hump! Lol

[Image: CnPenxE.png]

Will the new leadership finally be able to do the right thing and name Seattle the "Rain City Bitch Pigeons"?

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]