Create Account

FHM Tactics Calculator v3.1.0.5
(This post was last modified: 04-16-2024, 01:38 PM by Chevy. Edited 7 times in total. Edit Reason: update )

Many many moons ago, when SHL decided they were going to switch from STHS to FHM I, like many others I'm sure, took a dive into the game and manual and anything else we could research on it in order to educate ourselves on how the game worked so that we could best play it...in SHL's fashion.  At the time, I was in the war-room of the Anaheim Outlaws ( Outlungus forever!) and saw how mainly everything had attributes and in the tactical descriptions of the manual there were descriptions on how those applied to success failure of said tactics.  Thus, version 1 of the calculator was born and it was UGLY, but somewhat functional.  I remember initially sharing it with some of my fellow S52 players, particularly those in St. Louis after the season was done and by proxy in Toronto just to get some feedback.

Well here we are, 16 seasons later and I've condensed it down with some optimization.  This coupled with the league-wide move to global tactics only made calculating, in my opinion, that much easier.  The grand question though is, does it work?

Considering Great Falls came in dead last this past season, my first reaction is to give a hard no, however that would be giving it a disservice as the same calculator had GFG going to the finals in S61 as well so obviously there are some nuances with it.  I won't say that it has the complete answer, but it is more of a guide to help a GM or Co-GM or a coach make a better tactical decision.  I'm sure part of the mix-bag of results I've gotten with it comes entirely from my lack of full tactical understanding and I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there are members of this community who are insanely good at understanding tactics.

Rambling aside, at this point in its development I don't feel I can take it any further or go to the proverbial next level.  Like I said, there are still some things that I just don't fully understand yet and as a result don't understand how they incorporate into the tactics of the game.  This is where you, the greater SHL community comes in.

As of today I'm sharing this calculator with all of you.  I'm sure some teams have their own updated version of my old v1 calculator and there might be people who have already been able to take this to the next level, I don't know.  What I do know, however, is that over the last 3 years I have seen this community do some pretty bad ass things that are absolutely fascinating...and I think together we can do it again.

So good luck.  Have fun.  Hope you enjoy this little thing.
Code:
10/3/23 - Updated to v3.1.0 for Portal Use
10/4/23 - 3.1.0.1 | Corrected issue with attribute column reference in formula
10/19/23 - 3.1.0.2 - Corrected DB reference for player calls.  Hid unecessary rows for unused 4th line.
12/5/23 - 3.1.0.3 - Modified attribute headers for reference calls.  Corrected issue with shifted columns from api call.
1/6/24 - 3.1.0.4 - Corrected API Call with Luke's Help to remove duplicate player entries.
4/16/24 - 3.1.0.5 - Added SMJHL Expansion Teams  of Ottawa and San Diego

This is fantastic, I wonder if the cold math taking away people's "gut" instinct hurts or helps. FHM isn't know for doing what it says it will or making any sense.

[Image: riU14F5.gif]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/sburbine.gif[/img]

01-12-2023, 02:29 PMChevy Wrote: I remember initially sharing it with some of my fellow S52 players, particularly those in St. Louis after the season was done and by proxy in Toronto just to get some feedback.

[Image: FixedGleefulDrafthorse-max-1mb.gif]

Holy moly, it's come a long way, Chevy. Out of curiosity, did any of the calculations change between versions of the game?

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

01-12-2023, 02:55 PMSburbine Wrote: This is fantastic, I wonder if the cold math taking away people's "gut" instinct hurts or helps. FHM isn't know for doing what it says it will or making any sense.
A GM will still need to understand how to set up good lines in order for it to work well. It's not telling you everything you need to do to win, it's telling you, "According to Input, This is What is Ideal for Your Team." There will be players for whom team ideal is not their ideal, and matchups where you have to do some line blending to get the outputs you want. The understanding and instinct isn't completely set aside, it's more like it's filtered and backed by numbers.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!

01-12-2023, 03:09 PM_Blitz_ Wrote:
01-12-2023, 02:29 PMChevy Wrote: I remember initially sharing it with some of my fellow S52 players, particularly those in St. Louis after the season was done and by proxy in Toronto just to get some feedback.

[Image: FixedGleefulDrafthorse-max-1mb.gif]

Holy moly, it's come a long way, Chevy. Out of curiosity, did any of the calculations change between versions of the game?

Hey Blitz!  As far as I can tell, no. The biggest thing that I know changed is listed in game on tactics where they declare is a specific position is used or plays forward/back which can lead to adjusting where a player is placed on their line

Giving away trade secrets!

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2023, 05:18 PM by spooked. Edited 1 time in total.)

Nice tool! Hopefully this helps add some diverse setups to the league, should at the very least be good for new GMs and prospective GMs, if not just help users get a better idea of what attributes do what.

01-12-2023, 05:08 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: Giving away trade secrets!
If it means helping others.  yes.

01-12-2023, 06:07 PMChevy Wrote:
01-12-2023, 05:08 PMPremierBromanov Wrote: Giving away trade secrets!
If it means helping others.  yes.

this isnt what i taught you

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

01-12-2023, 02:29 PMChevy Wrote: Many many moons ago, when SHL decided they were going to switch from STHS to FHM I, like many others I'm sure, took a dive into the game and manual and anything else we could research on it in order to educate ourselves on how the game worked so that we could best play it...in SHL's fashion.  At the time, I was in the war-room of the Anaheim Outlaws ( Outlungus forever!) and saw how mainly everything had attributes and in the tactical descriptions of the manual there were descriptions on how those applied to success failure of said tactics.  Thus, version 1 of the calculator was born and it was UGLY, but somewhat functional.  I remember initially sharing it with some of my fellow S52 players, particularly those in St. Louis after the season was done and by proxy in Toronto just to get some feedback.

Well here we are, 16 seasons later and I've condensed it down with some optimization.  This coupled with the league-wide move to global tactics only made calculating, in my opinion, that much easier.  The grand question though is, does it work?

Considering Great Falls came in dead last this past season, my first reaction is to give a hard no, however that would be giving it a disservice as the same calculator had GFG going to the finals in S61 as well so obviously there are some nuances with it.  I won't say that it has the complete answer, but it is more of a guide to help a GM or Co-GM or a coach make a better tactical decision.  I'm sure part of the mix-bag of results I've gotten with it comes entirely from my lack of full tactical understanding and I know, without a shadow of a doubt, that there are members of this community who are insanely good at understanding tactics.

Rambling aside, at this point in its development I don't feel I can take it any further or go to the proverbial next level.  Like I said, there are still some things that I just don't fully understand yet and as a result don't understand how they incorporate into the tactics of the game.  This is where you, the greater SHL community comes in.

As of today I'm sharing this calculator with all of you.  I'm sure some teams have their own updated version of my old v1 calculator and there might be people who have already been able to take this to the next level, I don't know.  What I do know, however, is that over the last 3 years I have seen this community do some pretty bad ass things that are absolutely fascinating...and I think together we can do it again.

The query tab is not there. Please help.

[Image: McGriddy10.gif]
Credit to @KaleSalad, @Ragnar, @ValorX77, @sulovilen, and @enigmatic for my Sigs

01-12-2023, 09:03 PMMcGriddy10 Wrote:
01-12-2023, 02:29 PMChevy Wrote: Many many moons ago, when SHL decided they were going to switch from STHS to FHM I, like many others I'm sure, took a dive into the game and manual and anything else we could research on it in order to educate ourselves on how the game worked so that we could best play it...in SHL's fashion.  At the time, I was in the war-room of the Anaheim Outlaws ( Outlungus forever!) and saw how mainly everything had attributes and in the tactical descriptions of the manual there were descriptions on how those applied to success failure of said tactics.  Thus, version 1 of the calculator was born and it was UGLY, but somewhat functional.  I remember initially sharing it with some of my fellow S52 players, particularly those in St. Louis after the season was done and by proxy in Toronto just to get some feedback.

The query tab is not there. Please help.
What are you looking for?  The query to edit, as listed in the instructions are in cell A1 of the Player DB tab

Thanks

Credit to @KaleSalad, @Ragnar, @ValorX77, @sulovilen, and @enigmatic for my Sigs

How do I change it to Tex @Chevy

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2023, 09:31 PM by Chevy.)

01-12-2023, 09:09 PMMcGriddy10 Wrote: How do I change it to Tex @Chevy
on the copy of the google sheet you make, like it says in the instructions where it says “HAM” in the query change that to “TEX”
Ezpz

Thank you for helping me!